Author Topic: What Have Been the Most Produced "Mechs- In Each Weight Class?  (Read 2991 times)

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
After reading TRO's for years,   I've always been curious about which 'mech in each class was the most produced (by everyone)?

What I've come up with is

Light- Wasp
Medium-  not sure,  but perhaps the Griffin due to its longevity
Heavy-Archer- TRO 3025 mentions a staggering 100,000 Archers built
Assault- Stalker- repeatedly mentioned as being the most common which could mean the most produced or could given its is an assault class machine could just mean easy to repair and bring back into action.

What say you?

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: What Have Been the Most Produced "Mechs- In Each Weight Class?
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2017, 21:12:49 »
The Locust is also a heavily produced light. Really though along fluff lines any of the classics (not including assaults) were some of the most widely produced units in the BT universe.

Between the Wasp and Locust I think the Locust may have had a larger production run. As for the others... for mediums I don't know, though I do believe you are right about the Archer.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2017, 22:08:28 »
Something to consider; the basic WSP-1A variant Wasp was introduced in 2471. It has been produced in one place or another ever since; there are new WSP-1As being built in 3145, nearly seven hundred years later. So even if the Wasp isn't the most produced light 'Mech ever, then the WSP-1A might be the most produced single variant.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2017, 01:45:53 »
Dervish can be a contender for a medium. The most numerous light is, probably, Locust. Don't even know which assault is the most popular. Banshee is the oldest, though, from the ones currently used.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2017, 02:25:30 »
Although I cannot cite a source, I'm sure I read somewhere that the Phoenix Hawk was supposedly the most-produced medium 'Mech (as of ca. 3025).
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2017, 02:35:26 »
Something to consider; the basic WSP-1A variant Wasp was introduced in 2471. It has been produced in one place or another ever since; there are new WSP-1As being built in 3145, nearly seven hundred years later. So even if the Wasp isn't the most produced light 'Mech ever, then the WSP-1A might be the most produced single variant.

Amusing note, the Stinger is said to have had over two hundred thousand units produced over the years (with about 5000 active as of 3039). The Wasp is specifically mentioned as being more numerous than both it and the Locust in the same book.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2017, 03:23:32 »
Well we know all three are popular as well as being easy to destroy. And we also know hundreds of thousands have been produced but still no smoking gun on which has had the most production, though in one of the TROs is was stated that the Mongoose was designed as the replacement for the Locust. Wonder how much that cut into Locust production for a little over 100 years.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2017, 12:06:06 »
I may have seen the same references as Liam's Ghost.  I was always under the impression that the Wasp was the most common, with the Stinger and Locust competing for second place.

The PXH was said to be the most common Medium.

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
  • Part-time builder of fallen empires
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2017, 16:23:47 »
I may have seen the same references as Liam's Ghost.  I was always under the impression that the Wasp was the most common, with the Stinger and Locust competing for second place.

The PXH was said to be the most common Medium.

I checked TRO 3025 and it is not really that obvious.
For the Phoenix Hawk, I couldn't find anything in it.

The Locust was one of the most produced and common 'Mech of the Star League.
The Wasp was the first scout design to be produced and thousands of it were built during the Star League.
200,000 Stingers were produced.
In turn they tested each Clan namesake
In trial against the ice hellion's mettle.
Each chased the ice hellion, hunting it down.
All faild to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said. "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance, Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1-5

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 18 January 2017, 21:36:26 »
Well, here's a point in favor of the Crusader being top heavy
Kallon Industries manufactured the ’Mech in vast
numbers during the two centuries of the First Star League.
Even after the League collapsed, other manufacturers continued
to churn out Crusaders, making it one of the most
common heavy BattleMechs in existence.

Perhaps a toss up between these two... unless someone can find something on the Thud. It WAS the premiere planetary assault mech for awhile.

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 18 January 2017, 22:51:31 »
For me a big point in the Crusader's favour is the line in TRO3025: '... the Crusader soon became the workhorse of the Star league, filling many roles and performing a wide variety of missions.'

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2017, 12:45:50 »
For me a big point in the Crusader's favour is the line in TRO3025: '... the Crusader soon became the workhorse of the Star league, filling many roles and performing a wide variety of missions.'

Wasn't the Star League partial to missile boats?

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2017, 16:31:20 »

Seems to me with few exceptions the 2750 mechs were more flash bulbs. The Periphery Uprisings were far from supply lines, makes sense. Even a lot of the b Variants of classic designs have some flash bulbyness to them.

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 19 January 2017, 17:25:45 »

Kinda seems like it with those Archer numbers from above too ...

Seems to me with few exceptions the 2750 mechs were more flash bulbs.

The TRO2750 Mechs are just 'Mechs that didn't really survive the Succession Wars - and not necessarily chief SLDF designs. By implication they were available in smaller numbers than the prolific '2nd edition box set' Star League designs.