Author Topic: Games of Thrones 4th season  (Read 15789 times)

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
Games of Thrones 4th season
« on: 07 April 2014, 07:19:56 »
 Winter is coming! Well at least it trying leave around here. What did everyone think of last night show.

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
Re: Games of Thrones 4th season
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2014, 07:51:38 »
Oh boy here we go.   [brew]

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2014, 13:16:59 »
Stayed up to watch it. I regret nothing!  O0

Oberyn Martell is the man! Honestly, it's another instance of perfect casting. Jaime's wave at Qyburn as well was hilarious.

And Arya and the Hound were hilarious together. Overall, a great start to the series. The only thing that confounded me was the new actor for Daario Naharis, I thought the guy they had was perfect for the role.

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2014, 13:20:07 »
I am so looking forward to Joffrey's wedding feast and the drama which is about to hit House Lannister

I also think I have a good idea on the twist ending of the season
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2014, 14:40:59 »
It took me a long time to get into this.  I tried reading the first book three times before I managed to stumble through it.  In the end, it was watching the show's DVD extras that talked all about the history that helped me understand what was going on and why I was supposed to care.  After that, the second and third books were great reads.  The fourth is so far a heap of fail because Martin has fallen in love with his own voice and his editors have let him.  Each chapter in books two and three had some major event, and usually ended on a type of cliff hanger.  In four, he just goes on and on and on, and very little happens. 

I watched the show after reading the books, and found it better in some ways, lacking in others.  Last night's was the first I got to watch as it aired.  The introduction to Oberyn was very well done, and even though it was different than the book it was more interesting and did a perfect job of setting up his character.  Considering he was in all of three or four chapters and did very little, I'm interested to see how they expand him.

I rather like the idea of Jaime being there before Joffrey's wedding.  I'm curious to see his reaction to that event.

Diana Rigg is brilliant. 

Sansa is still incredibly annoying.

Arya and the Hound - I'm surprised that scene got into the first episode, as there wasn't much of them in the book after that.  Maybe they'll add some Arya stuff from book four. 

I really, really want to see the battle at the Wall, especially the wildling's attack on Castle Black from the rear.  Mostly because I hate, and I do mean hate with the fire of a thousand suns, the character of Ygritte.  It's her cocky, arrogant attitude that gets under my skin.  I await that episode, and will face it with the same glee I had on Lost when the annoying Ilana dropped her bag of dynamite. 

As a first episode, this set up a lot but had no real payoff, except for Arya reclaiming her sword.  Lots to look forward to.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2014, 14:48:01 »
I am so looking forward to Joffrey's wedding feast and the drama which is about to hit House Lannister

I also think I have a good idea on the twist ending of the season

The book's own ending should be a no-brainer.  The only other reasonable possibility would have been as the final scene of season 3.  Since we didn't see it then, we'll surely see it* at the conclusion of this season.

*=book readers all know of what's being referenced.  No need to be That Guy who drops the spoiler.

As for this particular episode.. I too am impressed with their introduction of the Red Viper.  Very much looking forward to watching House Martell enter the Game :)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2014, 14:57:04 »
 O0

That is all.

Orion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2014, 14:59:19 »
I don't regularly get HBO - just those occasional weekends they run free promos.  A couple times when this happened I was able to catch a partial episode, and a couple of those times the wife watched a bit as well.  She was *not* happy with the show, and made the fact very clear.  She doesn't like sex scenes and nekkid babes in movies, especially if I'm able to see any of it.  I have assumed that I'd never get to see the shows, and would just have to continue reading the books as they come out, as it just isn't worth the hassle to me.  I'm not a big tv watcher anyway.

But this weekend I was channel surfing, noticed the free HBO, and stopped on Game of Thrones a few times.  Didn't even know the new season was starting.  After a bit, I went to the computer to goof off, and figured she'd start watching cooking shows.  Several hours later, she is still watching Game of Thrones, and is starting to like it!  She still thinks all nudity is completely unnecessary, but likes the story, characters, and costumes.  She's even talking of renting the entire series on Netflixs so she can figure out just who is who and what is going on.   :D

We watched the season premiere and liked it a lot.  It's been a while since I read the books, and can't remember much of it, so most of what happened was new to me.  Probably won't get to see any more this year, but with Netflix, maybe there is hope.
Game mechanics are a way of resolving questions in play, not explanations of the world itself.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #8 on: 07 April 2014, 15:10:36 »
I cannot understand the mindset of a person who objects to nudity, but not brutal murder.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #9 on: 07 April 2014, 15:24:03 »
We watched the season premiere and liked it a lot.  It's been a while since I read the books, and can't remember much of it, so most of what happened was new to me.  Probably won't get to see any more this year, but with Netflix, maybe there is hope.
At least last I checked, which was admitedly a month ago or so, there was not going to be ANY of the GoT series available on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. HBO, HBO Go, and DVDs are pretty much the only legal methods of viewing.

If you're like me, having cut cable/satelite entirely, that doesn't leave a lot of options aside from reserving copies from the library followed by binge watching when my turn comes. On the bright side, that's how I mananged to suck my wife into both the series and the books.  ;) In the meanwhile, I'll have to wait to see which comes first, season four on DVD or The Winds of Winter.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 07 April 2014, 15:33:50 »
I cannot understand the mindset of a person who objects to nudity, but not brutal murder.

Pretty simple really.  Based on the fact that our species continues to survive, sex is far more common than murder.  One is "real" and the other isn't.  For most people at least.  The threat that somebody is going to cheat on you, want to sexually abuse you (or actually do so), not return your own desires for sex, etc are a "clear and present danger."  Murder is not something "our" culture regularly fears.

More importantly,  GAH!  I don't have HBO (or even standard cable). All I can say about season 4 at this point. 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #11 on: 08 April 2014, 08:46:34 »
Arya's turning into quite the adorable little sociopath, isn't she?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 08 April 2014, 08:53:22 »

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #13 on: 08 April 2014, 09:25:28 »
One can only hope for such psychotic, vengeful offspring.  :D

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: 08 April 2014, 13:42:18 »
Show has been renewed for seasons 5 and 6. Season 4 premiere was biggest HBO ratings since Sopranos finale.

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
« Reply #15 on: 08 April 2014, 13:45:39 »
I'm looking forward to this season with Prince Oberyn around. His presence In the book was one of the high points. Also yo uhad to love the look on her face as she quoted that creep's own words back at him. Adorable indeed...

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #16 on: 08 April 2014, 14:16:46 »
In the meanwhile, I'll have to wait to see which comes first, season four on DVD or The Winds of Winter.

Yeah, there's only one side of that bet I'll touch.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 08 April 2014, 16:11:58 »

Same here.  Just like i can't understand how some can say a film should be rated R cause of all the cussing/smoking going on, but one with fewer cusses but more bloody violence/drinking shouldn't also be rated R.

Though i did laugh at the TV this afternoon when CNN's ticker had a piece mentioning that GoT is the most pirated TV show around.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #18 on: 08 April 2014, 16:17:46 »
More thoughts upon reflection:

Jaime and Cersie growing apart was expected, but the crumblinc dynamic between Shae and Tyrion surprised me.  They shouldn't be growing apart like that.  It's going to make her testimony at his trial hurt a lot less, not to mention Tyrion's farewell to her.

Glad to see Ser Dontos rematerialize, as he plays such a critical part. 

Jon Snow being on trial now bugs me because it means there will be senior Night's Watchmen at Castle Black when the wildlings arrive.  Jon's command while holding both the castle and the Wall were pretty critical to his not being beheaded as a turncoat. Good to see Janos Slynt, that scumbag.

Mile markers to Mereen, just like in the book.

New Daario and Grey Worm "gambling" was neat.  Even though it was not in the book, I understand that it was done to introduce the new actor playing Daario, otherwise we'd have no idea who he was.  His bringing flowers to Dany was well done.  Since there's no Strong Useless to shit in the direction of Mereen, I think that honor will fall to Nu Daario.

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 09 April 2014, 09:53:21 »
The objections to the nudity are not objections to nudity per se, but rather to the pointlessness of it and how unnecessary it is to driving the plot.  The brutal murders are largely important to the story, but there was little reason why Oberyn's introduction had to have that much female nudity in it (and, it should be noted, almost all the nudity in the show is female).

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #20 on: 09 April 2014, 12:53:08 »
The objections to the nudity are not objections to nudity per se, but rather to the pointlessness of it and how unnecessary it is to driving the plot.  The brutal murders are largely important to the story, but there was little reason why Oberyn's introduction had to have that much female nudity in it (and, it should be noted, almost all the nudity in the show is female).

Because he was in a brothel, doing what people in brothels do?  The only place I'd expect to find more nudity would be a bath house.  The scene very effectively established Oberyn's character, and thus was important to the story.  He is a man of great passion, and the producers chose to show us that instead of just telling us, therefore properly using the visual medium of television.

I'm sorry, but there is no situation - no whatsoever - where I will accept a person objecting to plain old nudity over murder.  Not graphic sex or sexual violence, mind you, but just normal nakedness, which is all that was in that episode.  There was also a scene of an eleven year-old girl casually stabbing a man in the throat and watching him choke to death on his own blood.  If looking at a naked woman just standing there bothers someone more than that scene, then that person needs to take a hard look at their priorities in life. 

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be contrary or antagonistic.  This is just the way I feel about a very dangerous trend in our society. 

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 09 April 2014, 14:03:49 »
New Daario and Grey Worm "gambling" was neat.  Even though it was not in the book, I understand that it was done to introduce the new actor playing Daario, otherwise we'd have no idea who he was.  His bringing flowers to Dany was well done.  Since there's no Strong Useless to shit in the direction of Mereen, I think that honor will fall to Nu Daario.

I've had a half week to digest this and I'm still having trouble with that scene.  Not for the nu-Daario casting, but for Grey Worm's involvement in the gambling.

I get it that Dany's Unsullied aren't supposed to be cold robots anymore, in both the books and TV show.  But actually *seeing* a depiction of an Unsullied having normal human motivations is jarring to me.  To me, her Unsullied always seemed like robots that were trying to act like humans but not knowing exactly how anymore (like Grey Worm deciding to keep that name not for the reasons he gave but because I think he thought that's what Dany wanted to hear).  Watching one compete for pride is, well, jarring.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2014, 14:06:26 by Tai Dai Cultist »

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
« Reply #22 on: 09 April 2014, 18:04:57 »
I've had a half week to digest this and I'm still having trouble with that scene.  Not for the nu-Daario casting, but for Grey Worm's involvement in the gambling.

I get it that Dany's Unsullied aren't supposed to be cold robots anymore, in both the books and TV show.  But actually *seeing* a depiction of an Unsullied having normal human motivations is jarring to me.  To me, her Unsullied always seemed like robots that were trying to act like humans but not knowing exactly how anymore (like Grey Worm deciding to keep that name not for the reasons he gave but because I think he thought that's what Dany wanted to hear).  Watching one compete for pride is, well, jarring.
No matter the unit or the training, one thing every good soldier must be, is confident. Without confidence they fail. So if the Unsullied are not confident and proud of their skills and strengths, they would fail. It only tracks that he would believe he is as equal if not better than the mercs she found along the way. He is the leader of Her Unsullied. The Strongest, most skilled, the most loyal of her troops. And I do like the new actor for Daario, the pretty blonde boy didn't convey the image from the books for me.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #23 on: 11 April 2014, 03:51:37 »
Getting to like Jaime's character more and more- and the actor playing him.  I hope to see him in more things because I think he is extremely good playing Jaime who is quite complex.

The king's delusions are still being fed by those around him though Tywin acknowledges that he will spend the rest of his life at court trying to keep things straight.  Those sitting in judgement of Snow were there, IIRC they rushed off to join Bowen Marsh as they doubted Jon.

One big difference I have not heard folks speaking about is the Thenns not leading the assault- Tormund being joined later by them.  I think Tormund will be wed to the Karstark girl later, rather than the current Magnar's son.  They are also mixing the Thenns and cannibals who they fought.

Might be a bit early to say Jaime and Cercie are drifting apart, she still thinks she has the hold as she did in the book.  Tyrion's revelations about her behavior while he was gone is what moves him away.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Orion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 11 April 2014, 13:31:07 »
At least last I checked, which was admitedly a month ago or so, there was not going to be ANY of the GoT series available on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. HBO, HBO Go, and DVDs are pretty much the only legal methods of viewing.

From other discussions I see on the net, you can get at least season 1 and 2 from Netflix, so I assume the rest will be available at some point.  Haven't seen mention of season 3 yet, but haven't really looked either.  If you meant available by streaming, then I ask: why should I care how it gets to me?   :)  A CD/DVD works far better for me anyway as I'm restricted to satellite internet where I live.
Game mechanics are a way of resolving questions in play, not explanations of the world itself.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #25 on: 11 April 2014, 13:42:49 »
Tywin acknowledges that he will spend the rest of his life at court
hee hee hee

family 'quarrel'
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #26 on: 11 April 2014, 13:57:34 »
 O0 :))

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #27 on: 11 April 2014, 16:26:08 »
This season Lady Olenna pretty has has already stolen every scene that she is in with her presence. She is one awesome old woman and one of my favorites this season. 
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #28 on: 12 April 2014, 14:39:02 »
Diana Rigg had retired and was begged back for this series.

Good thing too.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #29 on: 12 April 2014, 16:19:59 »
She and her daughter showed up in Doctor Who last year as well.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Register