Author Topic: Games of Thrones 4th season  (Read 15788 times)

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
Re: Games of Thrones 4th season
« Reply #150 on: 11 June 2014, 14:27:04 »
Reading the books is a must for anyone watching the series. I read the first two books a while back and re read them. I'm just about finished with Feast for Crows and want to start on the next but I may wait. The season finale should be good.  O0

I don't know, between the trailer from Sunday and all that is left to resolve, I'm suspecting this episode is going to leave a lot of plt threads hanging.
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #151 on: 11 June 2014, 14:52:30 »
Well, the episode is titled The Children, so I'm guessing Bran will at least get to his destination. 

We've seen Mance Rayder in the trailer so that plot arc should wrap up, although the rest of Jon Snow's arc for book 3 will likely wait until next season.

I don't see what more there is to do with Sansa and Littlefinger.  I spent most of her arc in the books wishing someone would throw Robin out the moon door, but that never happened. 

Arya and the Hound need to have a parting eventually, so this would be a good time for that. I just hope they make it meaningful. 

No telling what they're doing with Dany. Things over there are so out of order, so many characters omitted or changed that only the general feel of events remains. 

Tyrion must have his day.  Anything else would be just wrong.  Since a large portion of his actions and grief come from revelations concerning his first wife, who has barely been mentioned before in the show, I'm unsure how well they'll translate. 

And if the episode doesn't end with Brienne and Pod meeting Lady Stoneheart, I'll be very disappointed indeed!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #152 on: 12 June 2014, 23:54:25 »
Nah, Stoneheart will be next season . . . here is how I see things . . .

3rd episode from the end-
Wrapped up Dani & Co for this season sending Mormont into exile (again)
Wrapped up Darth Sansa w/ the Vale arc

2nd episode
Settled Castle Black & Jon meeting Ygritte (pretty well done IMO)
Unfortunately killed off Pyp & Grenn . . . so who all is Sam going to get to help elect Jon?  What would be the point of Maester Aemon's advice to kill the 'boy' for the man?

Last episode
Wraps up Kings Landing
Mountain screams to death in the Black Cells
Tyrion escapes while learning about his wife
Tywin has an ache in his guts
Valerus ships Tyrion off

Questions for the final episode . . . do they introduce Sunspear?  Does the Hound die from the bite/Biter?  Does Brienne meet Lord Tarly and one of her mockers?  Will they revisit the Wall for Stannis to come sweeping in?  (likely since Jon is seen again)
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #153 on: 15 June 2014, 21:48:31 »

Jojen?!!  Man, HBO, WTF indeed! Who's going to, um... mope... in the caves for a while... Okay, I got nothing.

Other than a deplorable lack of Lady Stoneheart, I was quite happy with this finale.  Stannis had a far smaller charge than Theoden, but no less epic.  That one wildling who decided to rush Stannis... did anyone else get the image of the Historian from Monty Python and the Holy Grail at that moment? 

I'm quite pleased with how Tyrion's arc wrapped up, and the changes in Brienne/Pod and Arya/Sandor arcs were fine. Honestly, in the five or six chapters of Brienne and Pod in book four, the only thing of any consequences that happened was them finding out Arya was still alive, and Hot Pie did that for them in a great little scene.  For crap's sake would it have been so much to ask for five more minutes to wrap them up with the greatest mind-blowing moment of their arc?  (Yeah, I know Merret Frey got it in the book, but they did get there themselves eventually).  Okay, I'll shut up about it now. 

Dany.. eh, who cares. The Mereen story is quite boring anyway, and I read it all just wishing she'd stop dithering and get on with what she's supposed to be doing. I always felt she was only there because Martin realized he needed to delay her arrival to the Seven Kingdoms so it wouldn't interfere with the rest of whatever he's doing.  If she'd kept up a proper pace, she'd have arrived just about right after Tommen and Margaery's wedding.  Would hav emade book four much less of a drag, at least.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #154 on: 15 June 2014, 22:27:32 »

Jojen probably gets offed early in Winds of Winter, so I figured that the producers decided to get on with it.

And I honestly wish that Arya did not get heroic music for her trip to the Anti-Life Cult. R'holler is treated badly, but Death gets heroic music. I demand justice.

And anything that will spare us the boring relentless horror of A Feast of Crows is good in my book. However, Lady Stoneheart deserves to be seen and give plenty of screentime, and I hope that Brienne gets a meeting with our good Lady next season.

As for the North, I had hopped that Stannis would make his offer this season, but he did get to prove why he is a military commander. Actually, we could have cut down Sandor and Brienne for more Stannis and Jon at the wall with Melissandra thinking perhaps that R'hollor was showing her the truth.

As for Mr. Rivers, I think they pulled it off sure there was no root through the head, but it pretty much was from the book. I thought that the Children and their magic came off well too considering they blew up pieces of land in the past. Flinging fireballs compared to what they did to the First Men shows that they probably needed more of themselves to really pull off their big magic.

It was good just not the best episode this season.
« Last Edit: 17 June 2014, 19:00:32 by Lord Harlock »

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #155 on: 16 June 2014, 07:46:23 »
Please tell me they riffed on Twyin Lannister did not, it seemed, **** gold.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

RABIDFOX50

• Warrant Officer
  • 1507 Strike RCT
« Reply #156 on: 16 June 2014, 16:59:51 »
It was OK. I was expecting to see something else that was mentioned earlier above.  ;)

Varys getting Tyrion out of KL was interesting. Goes back to 2nd season I think when he said the bells meant horror coming. He was walking back the the Red Keep and heard them and turned around to get back on the ship.  O0
Battletech collector/player since 1987
Toss a coin to your Witcher, oh valley of plenty!
Listen! Do you smell that?

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #157 on: 16 June 2014, 19:42:22 »
The big thing missing for me was Tywin deathbed confession. I won't go into detail, but it really horrified Tyrion, and it's his main if not only, motivation in the next book to fix/undo what happened all those years ago.

Except Tywin just dies... I'd love to see the writers switch things up and showing that Tywin somehow survives this...

Varys doesn't seem to do much in the books after this, so might as well ship along with Tyrion I guess...

The Brien Vs. Hound showdown was a real surprise; grade A fan-service. Was actually rooting for the hound, he's my favorite anti-hero. Someone should definitely make a Gif of "that moment when the hound kicks you in the vagina..."
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #158 on: 21 June 2014, 11:10:27 »
Well, they are making her an understated superwoman . . . she defeated Loras in a grand melee, Jaime during their journey and now the Hound on a mountainside.  It makes things very interesting in that regard.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."