Author Topic: Really Dumb House Rule Idea - How would you make it work?  (Read 2479 times)

Fletch

• Captain
Really Dumb House Rule Idea - How would you make it work?
« on: 19 February 2012, 18:17:03 »
Set the scene:

Play a MekWars server, IS v Clan.

Clan mech goes KO'd and needs a 10 to wake up.  4 rounds later gets DFA'ed and goes kaboom.  The DFA unit needed a 2 and was able to put the final touches on the Clan mech to destroy it.  The DFA mech in question - Urbie!

A question asked was "It needed a 2 to hit a DFA?!?!  Was that a laser guided Urbie?"

Which got me thinking - Tag assisted DFA's

Dumb idea, I know.  But how would you make the rule work?

MadVoorpak

• Master Sergeant
    • Talking about Tech
Re: Really Dumb House Rule Idea - How would you make it work?
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2012, 21:58:51 »
Have the mech doing the DFA needed a specialized equipment, like Targeting computer, but for Jump Flight.

Then simply TAG the unit, mid jump the Jump TC recognises the TAG and assists in flight to smack down on the enemy

rlbell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2012, 12:09:11 »
Were the DFA rules changed for TW, or was the Urbie jumping down from a rooftop?

I will welcome being wrong, but I thought you needed at least a jump of 3 to DFA.

Obviously, the Urbies need to swap out the eleventh heat sink for another ton of AC ammo
Q: Why are children so cute?
A: So parents do not kill them.

That joke usually divides the room into two groups:  those that are mortally offended, and parents

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2012, 12:50:55 »
I will welcome being wrong, but I thought you needed at least a jump of 3 to DFA.
Source please!
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2012, 13:31:38 »
Nope.
The only ruling dealing with threes and jumping is in heat.  When you jump you gain heat equal to the number of hexes moved to a minimum of thee heat.
You cannot be the target to multiple DFAs, you cannot DFA a unit doing a DFA, and the DFA comes at the end of a physical attack phase.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

brotherelf

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2012, 13:39:08 »
Source please!

When dinosaurs roamed the earth and the Compendium was the rulebook of the day, a DFAing 'Mech would "throw itself at the enemy from three levels up". (I can provide a page number to the german FanPro edition if that helps -- mind you, at that time, they were mix-and-match, it lists about half a dozen books as original sources.)

rlbell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2012, 13:41:55 »
Source please!

Like I said, I could be wrong, and probably am.  It may have been something I assumed from the 1989 BT Compendium, which stated that damage is calculated as if the mech had fallen three levels, so it is not unthinkable to assume that the mech had to be able to jump that high.
Q: Why are children so cute?
A: So parents do not kill them.

That joke usually divides the room into two groups:  those that are mortally offended, and parents

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2012, 16:11:29 »
I don't ever recall seeing a line about damage calculation like that for Death from Above attacks.

Fall From Aboves, on the other hand...
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2012, 16:32:04 »
When dinosaurs roamed the earth and the Compendium was the rulebook of the day, a DFAing 'Mech would "throw itself at the enemy from three levels up". (I can provide a page number to the german FanPro edition if that helps -- mind you, at that time, they were mix-and-match, it lists about half a dozen books as original sources.)

'mechs are two levels high- and if you jump, you're considered to be one level above for line of sight purposes.

Hence, a 'mech that's jumping (1 Jump MP or more) is considered 3 levels high for LOS purposes.

Formerly known as 'Phad'