Author Topic: Question about shield tech rating  (Read 1525 times)

Mitsushima

• Recruit
Question about shield tech rating
« on: 28 May 2018, 14:07:40 »
Or more specifically why is it so high? I am currently running a Time of War campaign and my players currently have the option to assemble some mach's. However the planet they are on, with some exceptions, can only produce tech B equipment. Which brings me around to how hard is it to strap a large chunk of metal to a mech's arm. I finder it weird that it is advanced technology.

Retry

• Lieutenant
Re: Question about shield tech rating
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2018, 14:53:30 »
Well, it's not just a chunk of metal.  Presumably the Shield has some sort ablative armor similar to standard armor, modular armor, ferro-fibrous, etc.  Otherwise the rounds would punch through and shatter the shield effortlessly, especially w.r.t. gauss rifles.

I don't remember the tech level of standard armor, but I think it's like C or D.  Ferro-Fibrous and its variants are either level D or E.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2018, 15:58:50 by Retry »

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2018, 20:32:27 »
IIRC the Shields are actually made out of Ferro-Aluminum.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2018, 21:35:30 »
IIRC the Shields are actually made out of Ferro-Aluminum.
Ah.  That's basically Ferro-Fibrous for aircraft, so that's also tech level D or E.  In that case, tech level D makes sense for a shield.

Mitsushima

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2018, 13:34:08 »
Thank you for three feed back. The tech level for shields makes a lot more sense now.