Author Topic: Shadowrun Returns  (Read 1822 times)

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
Shadowrun Returns
« on: 25 July 2013, 20:09:47 »
Pre-ordered it this past weekend, downloaded it this afternoon, have been playing it fairly solidly since then. First go-round I'm playing as a Dwarven Decker. Pretty fun so far, and the decking while in combat is fairly well smoothed in.

No real complaints so far.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
Re: Shadowrun Returns
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2013, 20:12:03 »
This is the one for the PC?

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2013, 21:04:34 »
Yessir. If you like squad tactical games and the Shadowrun setting, this should be up your alley. Storyline is decent and engaging so far.

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2013, 23:45:48 »
I'm going to wait a while to download my copy.
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOMâ„¢

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2013, 00:28:46 »
I might have to check it out.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2013, 10:01:41 »
I've been enjoying playing it so far, but the inability to save is really frustrating.   A checkpoint system isn't inherently a bad thing, but the checkpoints need to be closer together than they are here.

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
  • Look out, there is a monkey on your back!
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2013, 11:07:21 »
I am about 8 hours in and its enjoyable even though it is ridiculously linear - there aren't even in side missions really. Also annoying is the total lack of megacorps in the storyline, so far.
MegaMek Dev and Bug Creator

The Flaming Devil Monkeys - The adventures of a band of misfit gladiators turned mercenary mechwarriors during the Word of Blake Jihad.
The Free Company of Oriente - No longer bound by the politics of the great houses, the Free Company of Oriente seeks its fate and fortune among the stars.
Ronin Cat Avengers - Fleeing the destruction of their Clan across an Inner Sphere at war, the Ronin Cat Avengers seek a new home ... and vengeance.

Make your own campaign website with the MekHQ Blog

kuttsinister7

• Master Sergeant
  • I send recon, then artillery, then main forces...
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2013, 12:41:32 »
IS that on Steam? O0
If you can't reach for the stars, then call the Doom Stars. We will fix that for you...

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #8 on: 26 July 2013, 13:42:51 »
I think what they did (and indicated they wanted to do) that was in scope with the kickstarter was a) create a really good engine and toolset with nice assets and b) create a good introductory game. For RPG creation, content work is more than half the cost. It's *really* work intensive. So for 1.2 million, that's what they did that was in budget and people will Neverwinter Nights the heck out of it. More official campaigns to come though.

I see some controversy over the checkpoint save system and see the point of the complaints, but also see that this was also a budget/complexity limitation and so can live with it.

@kuttsinister7: yes it is. They have high hopes for Steam Workshop on this game.

So good on Jordan for a tightly run effort with good results.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 26 July 2013, 13:55:03 »
I can definitely live with the checkpoint issue.  I'm enjoying the game enough that it's not a dealbreaker, but that doesn't mean it isn't annoying and that's something they should bear in mind moving forward.  We know they're working on Berlin as we speak, so there's more content coming and I'll be looking forward to it.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 27 July 2013, 15:06:38 »
I've played the game for a fair bit and boy did they get Shadowrun right. (They should... I mean, it's Jordan, right?) The save-game thing is a silly controversy. So far as I can see it autosaves on every level transition you make. You're making transitions usually around the 15-20 minute mark. It's really a minor irritant at most, not worth "putting off" as Ben Kuchera on Penny Arcade is doing. Very good game, nearly exactly as promised, and completed with really good team discipline. Harebrained should be proud of their accomplishment.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #11 on: 27 July 2013, 18:10:47 »
I've been waiting for this since I backed the Kickstarter, and have been loving every minute of it so far.
The atmosphere/feel is great.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 30 July 2013, 18:30:39 »
I've gotten to the final battle and got my butt kicked three times so far. The last one was close. I think the combination of me choosing a rigger Ork, poor marksmanship from my team, poor preparation beforehand (not enough drone repair kits!! not enough med packs!! not enough doc wagon cards!!) all conspired against me. It's probably harder than it should be.

Still a great little campaign. I understand the hue and cry behind the "<RAWR> It's too linear!" and the "<RAWR> It's too functionally gimped!" lines, but they're misplaced. The kickstarter emphasized the toolset, but probably people supporting it and the people playing it now are emphasizing the "Shadowrun Returns Game" above the toolset. This is essentially like NWN's release. We'll see some good stuff come out of it, especially after the Berlin campaign adds some more assets to the mix. The editor looks plenty powerful to handle a robust conversational and reactive game.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 30 July 2013, 19:01:02 »
I actually had little difficulty on the final mission, with my Dwarf Decker, Harlequin, a Tir Ghost and...I forget who the 4th was.

With three of the Aegis prototype guns, it was fairly easy to dispatch one of the bug spirits within one round. I never had to use a Doc Wagon kit at any point, either.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 30 July 2013, 19:03:51 »
I think overloading with drones is keeping me back.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 30 July 2013, 19:19:49 »
I have an Elf Rigger a goodly part of the way into the storyline (heading into the final mission, as a matter of fact). Ii don't do a whole lot of shooting with him, but if I need significant movement, then I deactivate one of my drones. I haven't looked over the forums a whole lot, but I've experienced a similar issue I have seen a couple posts about: with my skills, my drones should have 3 AP each, but they seem to have it sporadically.

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 31 July 2013, 18:03:59 »
Really liking the game. The save thing for me is a non-issue. Can't wait for all the user created content. Also hoping that someone is looking into changing all the equipment and other stuff to be more like the rules from PnP.
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #17 on: 31 July 2013, 18:28:43 »
Beat it the other day. I love it.

Got my username from the SNES version.  :)
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Brooklyn Red Leg

• Corporal
  • Armored Space Corps Black Lion Sqn
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: 01 August 2013, 10:01:09 »
Being a long time player and a fan of the old SNES version, I've been waiting for this game for...well...since forever. As soon as I can afford it, I'm picking up a copy (was sorry I couldn't contribute to the Kickstarter). Definitely hoping that Harebrained will get some steam from this and expand the game. Cooperative play is one of the things I want so much since it will make it a defacto tabletop game. I'm also hoping future expansions are able to give us Social-based characters (Face's etc) and other Meta races (Shapeshifters, Ghouls, Metavariants etc). [watch]

HikageMaru's awesome banner thread is here

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 01 August 2013, 10:04:45 »
Being a long time player and a fan of the old SNES version, I've been waiting for this game for...well...since forever. As soon as I can afford it, I'm picking up a copy (was sorry I couldn't contribute to the Kickstarter). Definitely hoping that Harebrained will get some steam from this and expand the game. Cooperative play is one of the things I want so much since it will make it a defacto tabletop game. I'm also hoping future expansions are able to give us Social-based characters (Face's etc) and other Meta races (Shapeshifters, Ghouls, Metavariants etc). [watch]

I haven't seen anything from HBS about any intent to incorporate a co-op mode; that being said, that would be freaking *awesome*. It's definitely worth noting that having a higher CHA (and the right Etiquette subskill) can offer you additional options in some dialogues.

Register