Author Topic: NHL 2018-2019, rebuild, retools, and retreads, oh my!  (Read 37751 times)

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
Re: NHL 2018-2019, rebuild, retools, and retreads, oh my!
« Reply #330 on: 26 June 2019, 04:03:13 »
Well, Yzerman focused on the blue line and went big with the top picks.  You can never have too many 6 ft 4 defence prospects.

Sounds like he's trying to build another wall of Triplets like he did in Tampa.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #331 on: 26 June 2019, 07:22:18 »
Well, Yzerman focused on the blue line and went big with the top picks.  You can never have too many 6 ft 4 defence prospects.

Then he went and got an even bigger forward.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #332 on: 26 June 2019, 11:19:19 »
I was rather shocked to find out the Stars traded for Phil Hartman, only to discover it was a typo and they instead received the Phil's Hartman.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #333 on: 26 June 2019, 17:40:54 »
Sounds like he's trying to build another wall of Triplets like he did in Tampa.
Then he went and got an even bigger forward.

Can only hope these towering young players pan out.  Draft picks can be rather fickle. 

On a different note, what's up in C-Bus? They got a good team and now it looks like it's all over for them with Bobrovski and Panarin possibly going to Florida, according to rumour. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #334 on: 26 June 2019, 23:17:39 »
Luango has retired.  Hopefully in a couple of years he gets the opportunity to be a color guy.  I can't see a situation where he can't keep people entertained.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #335 on: 27 June 2019, 08:35:41 »
Luango has retired.  Hopefully in a couple of years he gets the opportunity to be a color guy.  I can't see a situation where he can't keep people entertained.

If TSN, NBCSN, etc. have any sense, they'll be throwing themselves at him for an opportunity to get him on board.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #336 on: 27 June 2019, 12:08:42 »

I would love to hear him call a game on his own, John Motson-style.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #337 on: 27 June 2019, 22:10:14 »
I decided I want him in that spot right between the player benches.  He will still know a significant portion of players for the next 5 years.  The interactions between him and players during interviews ought to be awesome.

Today on how to fleece the rest of the league cash strapped Vegas traded former mid round draft pick for Erik Huala and bought out Marleau.  At this point they can easily pay Aho 9.5 a year which is what he is rumored to be asking for and still flash some decent cash for a goalie.  I don't think they are going to necessarily pay out the nose for a goalie even though they could afford to.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #338 on: 28 June 2019, 14:15:44 »
Burakovsky traded to the Abs for a 2020 2nd and 3rd round a a soon to be Ufa. Obviously the winner on this one won't be determined for a couple years, but I believe that to be a good move for the Avs if they can muster 20 goals out of Andrei.  He should get more playing time in Colorado.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #339 on: 28 June 2019, 23:12:51 »
I think you got your signals crossed there with Marleau.  It was the 'Canes that bought him out, not the Knights.

Cheers, Gabe

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #340 on: 29 June 2019, 00:46:21 »
I think you got your signals crossed there with Marleau.  It was the 'Canes that bought him out, not the Knights.

Inconveniently left out the word 'Canes, not so much mixed up the teams.  As for the Abs, that should be Avs and that's totally me not paying attention to what auto correct was doing.  I hate posting via my phone.

Vegas dumped cash by trading Miller to the Sabres for picks and are still over the cap so someone else or two is going to still need to be traded on top of their need to get enough players to field a roster next season.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #341 on: 29 June 2019, 23:19:16 »
So Phil Kessel is now a Coyote.  I imagine if Kessel gets them to the playoffs it is worth it, but I'm surprised Galchenyuk went the other way with a 1st round prospect.  I feel like this is more of a situation where the Pens were closer to the cap wall and Arizona could have bleed them for a bit more than an additional 4th rounder and minor league guy that is going to peak at the AHL level.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #342 on: 30 June 2019, 01:21:25 »
Beat me to it, lol. 

Yeah, with cap space as Pitt's prime objective, the 'yotes should have got more.

Now want to see a bleeding? Wait until someone gets Marner to sign an offer sheet.  I don't see 4 first rounders as worth it, but then there are some nutty GMs out there...

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #343 on: 30 June 2019, 12:17:33 »
Now want to see a bleeding? Wait until someone gets Marner to sign an offer sheet.  I don't see 4 first rounders as worth it, but then there are some nutty GMs out there...
I think there is always the possibility that someone would be worth it.  Being state side, I don't pay as much attention to the Maple Leafs so I don't know if he's the guy I'd want to bank 4 picks on.  That team has so much forward talent that I'm apprehensive to sacrifice that much of my future on the chance he doesn't produce as well outside of Toronto.

If his points total drops off to say 70 points a year is that still worth 11 mil a year and the loss of 4 draft picks?  I'd say the answer is no unless he is the last piece that is going to get you a cup final year in and year out.  Compared to McDavid, simply because of what he makes and what Marner is rumored to command, McDavid puts the goal in the net far more often Marner to this point.  He's a no brainer as is Kucherov.  If you are looking at defensman or goalies I don't think there is anyone in the league that would command an offer sheet right now.  If he hadn't signed an extension last season I'd say John Gibson would have been worth floating the picks for.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #344 on: 30 June 2019, 12:34:34 »
And I totally forgot the notable of the day, James Reimer and Scott Darling got swapped today with picks involved as well.  Capfriendly is reporting that Darling has been bought out of his contract.  If there was any doubt at all Florida is going to probably spend big bucks on a goalie(s) before there is no doubt now.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #345 on: 01 July 2019, 17:25:44 »
Busy day today as free agency opens up.

The Bread Man Artemi Panarin signed with the Rangers today.  His former teammate Sergei Bobrovski signed with the Florida Panthers.  His other former teammate Matt Duchene signed a seven year deal in Nashville.  Columbus as we knew them is now a young team that will bank on their system.

Joe Pavelski signed a three year deal with the Dallas Stars, leaving the Sharks without a captain.  Cory Perry also signed a one year deal with the Stars. 

Former Red Wing Gustav Nyquist is now also a former Shark, signing in Columbus to fill the vacuum.  And Valterri Filpulla signed a two year deal with the Wings today, bringing him back into the fold for a second go.

And in Carolina, Sebastian Aho was tendered an offer sheet from the Habs worth around $42 million give or take.  The Canes have seven days to match it, though they would be due a first, a second, and a third round pick in compensation.   

This is just scratching the surface of today's eventful opening of the free agent market.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #346 on: 01 July 2019, 22:06:41 »
I think the 'Canes front office will wait the full seven days before deciding to match.  The amount the Habs are offering isn't enough of a deterrent.  Bergevin says he's trying to balance making a competitive offer with the team's future needs.  So a bold move, but not bold enough.

Cheers, Gabe

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #347 on: 01 July 2019, 23:06:48 »
Yeah, I guess the system is self-balancing.  The offer to Aho is about what he's worth, so I don't see Carolina balking at matching it. 

In other notable news, Varlamov is now an Islander.  The Isles also retained Anders Lee with a new five year contract. 

Tyler Myers signed a four year deal with the Canucks. 

And Toronto was busy dealing players, having traded Zaitsev and Brown to Ottawa, and Kadri to Colorado.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #348 on: 02 July 2019, 01:36:41 »
I think the 'Canes front office will wait the full seven days before deciding to match.  The amount the Habs are offering isn't enough of a deterrent.  Bergevin says he's trying to balance making a competitive offer with the team's future needs.  So a bold move, but not bold enough.
I'd say it's a solid offer.  There is only a handful of RFAs that are going to even be worth the headache of losing draft picks.  If for some strange reason the Canes don't match then the picks are going to a team outside of their division.  Compare and contrast that to the player that can make bank would be Mitch Marner.  In that situation the Habs picks would be going to a team inside the division which is less desirable.  The only other RFA I think I'd try and offer sheet would be Matthew Tkachuk.  His play hit the ground running and ramped up since then.

In other notable news, Varlamov is now an Islander.  The Isles also retained Anders Lee with a new five year contract. 

Tyler Myers signed a four year deal with the Canucks. 

And Toronto was busy dealing players, having traded Zaitsev and Brown to Ottawa, and Kadri to Colorado.
Props to the Islanders for taking care of Lee.  They should have taken care of Lehner as well.  Varlamov is far too injury prone to warrant the multi year deal they gave him.  Canucks overspent on Myers.  I will have to look and see what the return was on Kadri, I didn't realize he had been traded until now.

Also now that free agency began today I shall set up a new thread.

Register