Author Topic: (Answered) Dismounting Jump Infantry at Different Elevations  (Read 2517 times)

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
Since elevation is relative to the transporting unit... is there a restriction on what elevation Jump Infantry (conventional and battle armor) may be dismounted?

1st example:
An 'Mech with the OMNI special is transporting a squad of BA with MEC and stops near a 1" hill.  The Mech has sufficient MP to dismount the squad and declares that it will do so.
Can the BA be dismounted onto the hill (provided that the two bases overlap, to simulate "contact" between bases)?

2nd Example:
Same situation (Mech and BA squad), but is now standing in Depth 1 (1") water and stops next to a non-watered hex/area (0 Elevation).
Can the Battle Armor be dismounted onto dry land if the bases touch (or overlap)?

3rd Example:
A ground vehicle that carries Jump Infantry externally (OMNI/MEC or XMEC) and stop near a 1" hill.  The vehicle has sufficient MP to dismount the Infantry and declares that it will do so.
Can the transport dismount the Jump Infantry onto a higher elevation?  (provided the bases overlap to simulate base to base contact)

[While I acknowledge that VTOL (and WiGE, where applicable) usually dismount Jump Infantry below their own elevation, its not clear to me if other ground-based vehicles and battlemechs need to follow that restriction.]

References: AlphaStrike "Transporting Infantry" p.32-33 (standard rules), "Dropping Troops" p.90-91 (advanced rules)
« Last Edit: 11 July 2016, 21:25:53 by nckestrel »
"Watch the man-made-lightning fly!"  -RaiderRed

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Dismounting Jump Infantry at Different Elevations
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2016, 09:37:49 »
Infantry (and any transported unit) must be dismounted at a legal location as if moving from the transport's base.
Moving from the base of the omnimech at 0" elevation to a 1" hill is a legal move for infantry, so you can dismount to the hill.
Infantry cannot move from 1" water (without UMU) so that is not a legal dismount (from 1" water to dry land).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2016, 19:36:52 »
Looks good to me.

A pair of Quick followup situations (it came up recently, and I apologize for not asking when I initially posted)

#4:  Hovercraft over water (Elevation 0) attempting to dismount Infantry onto adjacent/overlaping dry land (also Elevation 0)
Should not be a legal move? 

#5: VTOL or WiGE transport over water (Elevation 1+) attempting to dismount Jump Infantry onto adjacent/overlaping dry land.
Should not be legal?
"Watch the man-made-lightning fly!"  -RaiderRed

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2016, 20:35:02 »
Those are both illegal. 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets