Author Topic: drivethrurpg pdfs in print, please?  (Read 2954 times)

koraq

• Corporal
drivethrurpg pdfs in print, please?
« on: 21 August 2011, 09:29:28 »
I just found out that "Historical: War of 3039" is only available in pdf format. I prefer dead trees, and checked if drivethrurpg were selling Catalyst books, they are! But, they have not enabled the POD option.

I'd love to convince someone from Catalyst that it would be a great idea to sell print on demand book from the pdf only line. Pretty please, with sugar on top? Anyone know who to talk to, and how to convince them it's a great idea?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Re: drivethrurpg pdfs in print, please?
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2011, 11:43:52 »
Calling it a print copy instead of 'dead tree' would be one place to start. Ask the Line Developers would probably be the best area to start.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Hersh67

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2011, 12:11:30 »
I PMed him a link he should be able to use.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2011, 12:38:06 »
One thing to remember is that a lot of the PDFs CGL offer did have print runs in the past.  Historical: 3039 was published in 2004, for example.  There's questions as to how cost-effetive it would be to reprint such a book
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2011, 13:12:55 »
Many trees died to bring us this information.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2011, 13:15:07 »
Looking at that, I can imagine there'd be a need to edit the logos - Fanpro and WKGames - at least for the cover, so it's not like they can simply fire up another press with the same plates they already have.  Which means a lot for new development, those things can be - well, were - expensive. 
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2011, 13:24:44 »
I don't see why not to just hunt down a secondhand copy.

You have to do that for other books from that era. JHS 3070, DotJ, Fedcom Civil War, etc.

Some of the really popular stuff was rereleased (TRO's obviously, and they made the DotJ+3070 compilation) but you want a copy of an old novel or most old sourcebooks, you just hunt it down and often for cheaper than new. I paid $5 for my War of 3039 for example vs. a lot more I paid for a brand new copy of Operation Klondike when it came out.

monty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2011, 14:47:14 »
Its still available from Ral Partha Europe if thats any use to you.

Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum.
Let him who desires peace prepare for war. (Vegetius)

Duke

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2011, 23:22:31 »
Amazon still has it (War of 3039) too fyi. $29.99.

Here

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #9 on: 22 August 2011, 07:01:33 »
All you need for print on demand is a PDF and the cash to pay for a one off printing. I would understand if Catalyst enabled this for out of print titles that they had the right PDFs available for or products they released in PDF only, but not currently in print titles since this would probably take more of of bite out of print sales than regular PDFs.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

koraq

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 22 August 2011, 14:22:16 »
Thanks for the feedback, pointers and links, friends!

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #11 on: 22 August 2011, 16:37:43 »
I bought a new copy of H:Wo3039 several months back from amazon for $30.

Then I went to GenCon a few weeks ago, and at one booth I saw that book, Historical: Brush Fires, all of the Field Manuals (except the two Clan ones), the Fanpro House Handbooks (Steiner, Marik, Davion), and a ton of other FASA/Fanpro books all for $5 apiece.

My wallet wept, because I had dropped $30-35 apiece for each of those books less than a year ago to round out the holes in my collection.

At least I was able to buy a $5 copy of HB:HS to replace the $35 one that had a bad binding that started falling apart before I was even 50 pages into the book (and I'm very nice to paperback books...)

If you really want a DTF copy of an out-of-print BT book, unless it's something obscure or hard to find—like the Clan Field Manuals, The Clans: Warriors of Kerensky, the merc supplements, etc.—you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #12 on: 22 August 2011, 19:54:02 »

Then I went to GenCon a few weeks ago, and at one booth I saw that book, Historical: Brush Fires, all of the Field Manuals (except the two Clan ones), the Fanpro House Handbooks (Steiner, Marik, Davion), and a ton of other FASA/Fanpro books all for $5 apiece.

Yeah I raided that booth for a friend; he needed Brush Wars and War of 3039.  They were out of FM:Comstar though by the time I had gotten there.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #13 on: 22 August 2011, 21:31:40 »
I bought a new copy of H:Wo3039 several months back from amazon for $30.

My wallet wept, because I had dropped $30-35 apiece for each of those books less than a year ago to round out the holes in my collection.

Be happy you furthered BattleTech rather than a retailer's warehouse space.  ;)
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #14 on: 23 August 2011, 01:00:44 »
Be happy you furthered BattleTech rather than a retailer's warehouse space.  ;)
If the books were CGL-branded, I wouldn't have minded paying full price, but since all the ones I got at full price from amazon were were out-of-print FanPro-branded books, their full-price purchase didn't help the current BT torch-holders.

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website