Author Topic: End of an era, the last veteran of Operation Chastise passed away today aged 101  (Read 914 times)

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
Squadron Leader George "Johnny" Johnson was a bomb aimer on the Dambuster raid,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-63899393

He was the last surviving member of 617 squadron and flew other iconic missions with the squadron.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Wow!  A totally worthy read!  :thumbsup:

DOC_Agren

• Major
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
He seemed look a good man, and in pretty good shape during his 100th birthday.

I'm glad for the things he and so many others did, from the most distant past through tomorrow. My condolences, of course, to those he has left behind.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Register