Author Topic: IWM and Distributors  (Read 5754 times)

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
IWM and Distributors
« on: 27 November 2011, 15:00:21 »
Was talking to my local FLGS here in British Columbia, Canada about Battletech minis.  They stopped carrying minis, but are looking at stocking them again given the resurgence Battletech has experienced.  That's great because there is (literally) not a store in BC that carries miniatures and its hard to introduce new players when they can't even buy the product.  You can't get the Intro Boxes, maps, or miniatures which is something of an indictment of Catalyst and Iron Wind (on the flip side it reflects growing popularity of the product) so at this point there are no NEW players here even though there are individuals that are certainly interested.

But moving onto the specific IWM part: according to the local owner, they are waiting for Catalyst to start "stocking"/selling miniatures. I of course pointed out that IWM not Catalyst sells miniatures and he responded that the two major North American distributors they use (of which some company called Universal is one) do not stock IWM miniatures because apparently there's some problem with IWM selling them.

So what's going on?  Is it the distributors problem, is it Catalyst, IWM?  Because frankly, I'm getting really annoyed with the unavailability of product here - if we can't buy the goods the game will die all over again.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
Re: IWM and Distributors
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2011, 18:08:29 »
IWM sells to several distributors in the us, alliance, ACD, and a  third one. If your store is having trouble getting miniatures then they can contact IWM directly about setting up a retailer account to purchase direct from them. Have them contact Melissa at the below email and request a retailer packet. They already send orders to Canada.

officewench@ironwindmetals.com

Highlander00

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2011, 18:36:20 »
I just set up one of my local game stores with direct orders because they were in the same situation as your game stores is in. no canadian distributor carrying the metal minis and IWm is easy to deal with and free shipping after $200 in orders.

Highlander00

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2011, 20:20:33 »
Thanks, emailed the FLGS today about it.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2011, 13:44:23 »
i've had a similar problem, but still cannot convince my FLGS, who uses Lion Rampant as a distributor, to stock battletech minis
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Tressel

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2011, 16:48:48 »
My local store I go to uses both Alliance and ACD. The fill rates on BTech minis are terrible. I have ordered minis several times just to be told that the distributors cannot get the product from IWM. My FLGS was even told that some codes were not even available to them. These were current in production pieces. It's not like I was looking for out of print items. It's sounds like IWM may want to have a talk with the distributors and get this cleared up.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2011, 19:58:09 »
As I and Mara (I think- I sometimes get Mara and Tassa Kay's posts confused due to the similarity of their avatars) have both noted in the past, Alliance can be pretty terrible when it comes to IWM products, they often list things as being out of print that are quite new, or take far longer than they should to complete orders.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #7 on: 29 November 2011, 10:54:53 »
Why do all these distributors seem to hate IWM and Catalyst?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #8 on: 29 November 2011, 11:10:39 »
As I and Mara (I think- I sometimes get Mara and Tassa Kay's posts confused due to the similarity of their avatars) have both noted in the past, Alliance can be pretty terrible when it comes to IWM products, they often list things as being out of print that are quite new, or take far longer than they should to complete orders.

Yeah..I finally just gave up on trying to get my FLGS to order, and just go straight to IWM.
For an example: The last order I made through my FLGS took 3 months to get. The order was for 2 Hammerhands and an Atlas II.
Alliance said that they could not get any more then *ONE* Hammerhands, that it was also now out of print, and I got the last one
in their warehouse. I did get the Atlas II.
I should probably try and make an order again, and see if they can get it in a timely fashion, and get all the order.
But, I have a very, very negative look at Alliance...I am amazed that any organization that unprofessional can stay in business.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

F T C

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 29 November 2011, 12:15:13 »
I simply gave up on the locals for minis.  Don't get me wrong, they are great for the books, but I have such good experiences with IWM that I simply go to them directly.  I consider the $12 shipping worth it to know my minis will soon be in my hands.
"F T C is old.  He hates new stuff." -- Warmarshall's wife

Kos

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 29 November 2011, 19:46:34 »
There's something rotten regarding distributors and IW in Canada, there is just a pathological trend to the way they won't stock them.  I would highly recommend that Cat/IW look in to this 'cause it looks like they're essentially being locked out of the market up here.
« Last Edit: 29 November 2011, 19:59:36 by Kos »

Charlemagne

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor is Bulletproof
« Reply #11 on: 29 November 2011, 20:40:38 »
Here in Calgary there's two main game stores (That I frequent anyways) that I know have BT minis, one will order them in for you, but makes you wait three or four months before the order gets placed, and the other one, who has a large assortment of minis (Including some that were in the old blue backed blisters, squeee!) has been told by the distributor they order through that many things are out of print despite clearly being available in the IWM website.

I too would like to know what the heck is going on with that.
Honor is Bulletproof

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: 29 November 2011, 22:53:45 »
Like I said before these issues with distributors are not new. It is well known that Alliance is known for its "out of print" on battletech mini. If the stores cannot get them or have issues getting battletech miniatures from distributors. Tell them about the ability for them to purchase from IWM and get them faster. Have them contact Melissa at the email in my earlier post.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #13 on: 29 November 2011, 23:16:25 »
Why do all these distributors seem to hate IWM and Catalyst?

I don't think they hate IWM - it's just that a very extensive and relatively slow-moving range of minis doesn't generate much cash for the distributors. Stores want fast-moving product that generates return on investment in days or weeks, not years - and when that Annihilator mini has probably been on the rack in your FLGS since they released TRO 3050 (original!) ...

w.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #14 on: 30 November 2011, 00:53:57 »
I don't think they hate IWM - it's just that a very extensive and relatively slow-moving range of minis doesn't generate much cash for the distributors. Stores want fast-moving product that generates return on investment in days or weeks, not years - and when that Annihilator mini has probably been on the rack in your FLGS since they released TRO 3050 (original!) ...

w.

Worktroll...I would buy an Anni if I saw it at my FLGS, regardless of how old it was...Heck, I would probably buy a
bunch of stuff.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 30 November 2011, 01:39:02 »
My FLGS contacted IWM by phone and is waiting to here back so we'll see how that happens.

Register