Author Topic: How does Destiny work ?  (Read 2695 times)

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
How does Destiny work ?
« on: 11 July 2022, 23:28:56 »
Hey all

Looking to expand my fictional characters

How does Destiny work ?

Is it different from AtoW ?

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Re: How does Destiny work ?
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2022, 01:49:19 »
Like A Time of War, MechWarrior Destiny is mainly based on human-scale interactions and combat. These can be converted for use in Classic, albeit with a bit more work in converting some things.

Where A Time of War is better for detailed, grounded campaigns featuring characters who often suffer very limited lifespans, Destiny is a narrative-style RPG that allows you to play fast and loose with all the little minutiae of day-to-day requirements for things like food, operating costs, et cetera. It also lends itself more to characters that are somewhat exceptional from the start; with less emphasis on meeting demands outside of the party's specific specialties, there's more room for a group of 4-5 players to each min/max a character who can be really good at just one or two things, while being able to cover all the important bases as a group. The result is a system that is faster, more lightweight, and more adventurous, trading the traditional detail of the tabletop for the pulp-y, dramatic action of the novels.

On their own merits, AToW and Destiny both stand on roughly equal ground- while there are some definite benefits to one or the other, a choice between the two mostly comes down to a matter of preference. A big problem for some, however, may be in attempting to run 'Mech-scale combat. Destiny's built-in abstracted vehicular combat is simplified in the extreme, to the detriment of the system. When dealing with small 'Mech vs. 'Mech engagements, it works well enough. There are much worse ways to try and resolve, say, a brief duel between two Clanners during a minor trial, but it scales very weirdly, and breaks down entirely the moment one tries to implement non-'Mech units. It's totally unfit for vehicular conflict at any sort of meaningful scale. For this reason, the book also provides conversions to Classic. However, some of these conversions can be a bit more clunky than the compatibility-oriented approach of A Time of War, making the system less-than-ideal as a complement to CBT campaigns.

So in sum, MechWarrior Destiny is ideal if you want a lightweight system that allows your players to spend more time as exceptional individuals without having to worry about the specific rigors of logistics or a wide base of often-mundane expertise. Much like authors of many BattleTech novels, GMs have more freedom to handwave things or assign target numbers and requirements arbitrarily, allowing a GM to apply some light plot armor and convenient coincidence at some times and strip it away at others so as to form a series of cohesive narrative beats. On the flipside, those looking for detailed rules and assets or streamlined compatibility with other systems may be disappointed.

Note, as I prefer more detailed campaigns, there is some minor bias present in this review.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2022, 08:54:44 by pokefan548 »
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2022, 05:38:09 »
Thank you

So are miniatures used for this ? Or is it just a card based system ?

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2022, 06:30:14 »
Thank you

So are miniatures used for this ? Or is it just a card based system ?

There are no cards used in either of the games, except maybe for reference charts.
Miniatures are optional for visualizing what is being describe, but are not necessary to play. 
all you need is just pen, paper, dice, and the Rule book.

For a more in depth answer look at my response to your post in the AToW thread. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: 12 July 2022, 06:53:20 by victor_shaw »

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2022, 14:39:06 »
It is more like your basic combat system in any other RPG out there really even dealing with the human side or giant robots fighting each other. It is a much easier system to play and run than in the time of war. I played it once and it was pretty cool. It is more for a faster-paced system in the Time of war.

Richard S.

• Master Sergeant
  • Coming through
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2022, 14:14:35 »
A big problem for some, however, may be in attempting to run 'Mech-scale combat. Destiny's built-in abstracted vehicular combat is simplified in the extreme, to the detriment of the system. When dealing with small 'Mech vs. 'Mech engagements, it works well enough. There are much worse ways to try and resolve, say, a brief duel between two Clanners during a minor trial, but it scales very weirdly, and breaks down entirely the moment one tries to implement non-'Mech units. It's totally unfit for vehicular conflict at any sort of meaningful scale.
A bit of a late response, but could you expand on this? I just picked up Destiny and like the mech combat, at least on a conceptual level since I haven't gotten to actually play it. Where and how does it break down? Thanks.

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #6 on: 06 September 2022, 14:34:35 »
A bit of a late response, but could you expand on this? I just picked up Destiny and like the mech combat, at least on a conceptual level since I haven't gotten to actually play it. Where and how does it break down? Thanks.
Everything is based on extremely simplified MP/thrust expenditures. This means that a moderately fast wheeled vehicle on hilly, rough terrain can realistically keep pace with the average aerospace fighter and control the engagement between them. Shouldn't need to explain why that's utterly preposterous. Tracking ranges between several different units in, say, a lance-vs.-lance battle or larger is also an exercise in frustration unless you use the conversion to run 'Mechs on hex maps- at which point you might as well bite the bullet and just use Total Warfare (or, just as valid, Alpha Strike).

So, when you need to quickly resolve circle of equals rough-em-up or a small scuffle between rival mercs where everyone is piloting the same type of unit, Destiny's 'Mech-scale combat works fine. It's quick, it's simple, and it's a good way to avoid bogging down a series of low-intensity encounters. Beyond that though, its attempts at simplifying what was originally designed as a complex system often prove cumbersome when battles reach the scale of a typical TW/AS match, and the abstraction of movement is handled in a way that makes basically every unit type play exactly the same but for a few minor caveats (with unit types that rely on unique methods of movement often feeling horribly underpowered as a result). As said, Destiny does provide some basic rules for play with a map that alleviates some of these issues, but then it just leaves you wondering why you aren't just playing one of the actual map-based systems that does everything so much more completely without a significantly increased amount of required setup.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2022, 11:00:27 »
Everything is based on extremely simplified MP/thrust expenditures. This means that a moderately fast wheeled vehicle on hilly, rough terrain can realistically keep pace with the average aerospace fighter and control the engagement between them. Shouldn't need to explain why that's utterly preposterous. Tracking ranges between several different units in, say, a lance-vs.-lance battle or larger is also an exercise in frustration unless you use the conversion to run 'Mechs on hex maps- at which point you might as well bite the bullet and just use Total Warfare (or, just as valid, Alpha Strike).

So, when you need to quickly resolve circle of equals rough-em-up or a small scuffle between rival mercs where everyone is piloting the same type of unit, Destiny's 'Mech-scale combat works fine. It's quick, it's simple, and it's a good way to avoid bogging down a series of low-intensity encounters. Beyond that though, its attempts at simplifying what was originally designed as a complex system often prove cumbersome when battles reach the scale of a typical TW/AS match, and the abstraction of movement is handled in a way that makes basically every unit type play exactly the same but for a few minor caveats (with unit types that rely on unique methods of movement often feeling horribly underpowered as a result). As said, Destiny does provide some basic rules for play with a map that alleviates some of these issues, but then it just leaves you wondering why you aren't just playing one of the actual map-based systems that does everything so much more completely without a significantly increased amount of required setup.

That is because it was originally designed to portray the conflict between opposing grav tanks.

Don't believe me? Look at Renegade Legion's Legionnaire. It is very closely related to that old system.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 29 October 2022, 21:36:28 »
That is because it was originally designed to portray the conflict between opposing grav tanks.

Don't believe me? Look at Renegade Legion's Legionnaire. It is very closely related to that old system.

Thank you; I was wonder what Destiny's about, and it being similar to Legionnaire, clears a lot up for me.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #9 on: 30 October 2022, 22:05:26 »
Cheers.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz