Author Topic: Odessa III - what the hell happened?  (Read 2241 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Odessa III - what the hell happened?
« on: 14 March 2018, 04:21:27 »
I know the Blakists dropped some kind of bio weapon on the world but what has it done? I'd have thought that it would kill the population off pretty quickly, not make folks enforce a quarenteen so no one can get off. 
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
Re: Odessa III - what the hell happened?
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2018, 04:48:49 »
Could be one of those lovely diseases which kill 50% and infect the other 50% turning them into carriers.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2018, 05:31:45 »
Strategic engineered bioweapon.  Give it a long incubation time, let it use animal life as carriers....you've rendered the world uninhabitable.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2018, 07:48:27 »
Talking about the Lyran world, old Fisk family holdings?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2018, 18:01:12 »
I know the Blakists dropped some kind of bio weapon on the world but what has it done? I'd have thought that it would kill the population off pretty quickly, not make folks enforce a quarenteen so no one can get off.

Almost every time the Blakists used a bioweapon, the world ended up being quarantined. Why would Odessa be any different?
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #5 on: 14 March 2018, 19:06:39 »
Almost every time the Blakists used a bioweapon, the world ended up being quarantined. Why would Odessa be any different?
I imagine the reason behind that is "Are you sure that's ALL the bioweapon does?"
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #6 on: 14 March 2018, 20:23:04 »
I imagine the reason behind that is "Are you sure that's ALL the bioweapon does?"

Oh right, Odessa III survived, didn't it?
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2018, 21:38:55 »
I don't remember, I was just thinking "okay, the bioweapon killed half the population of the planet, but these guys are the technological peak, who knows what ELSE it's going to do - quarantine the planet and kill anything that tries to get off it"
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #8 on: 14 March 2018, 22:53:13 »
I'll bet you it's Devin Stones's homeworld and all traces of it are to be contained... that or it's a Wolverine site.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #9 on: 14 March 2018, 23:21:47 »
Or that bioweapons are really, really scary.  And you can never be sure that they were either entirely eradicated or that their effects are entirely known.  So you don't know if that bioweapon you thought you contained didn't actually spread spores and worm its way into the entire ecosystem to respread.  Nor do you know if the ones it didn't kill aren't just spreading some more subtle long term effect.  Such as say altering demographics, or making their offspring predisposed to a mental illness, or making them vulnerable to some other bioweapon that hasn't even been released yet.  Etc, Etc. 

Hell if the WoB has been truly serious about hating the Clans they would have released a long incubation virus that wormed it's way into the ecosystem and targeted gene complexes present only in Clan Trueborn phenotypes.  That could have literally turned the entire Inner Sphere into poison for Clanners given a while to spread unnoticed. 
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 14 March 2018, 23:24:41 »
Who says that they didn't, yet... or that the Society hasn't already...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 14 March 2018, 23:28:02 »
A better question might be why bother with hitting Odessa?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 14 March 2018, 23:41:33 »
It's the SYSTEM that's Quarantined, not the Planet! Remember Odessa IV is the Ruins of Gabriel, a SLDF shipyard and hidden repair base...

So saying the planet is infected... and providing it really is... what's it hiding? ( Gabriel! )

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 14 March 2018, 23:59:29 »
Sure, the system is quarantined, even though its probably just the planet, but the infection happens AFTER Gabriel is revealed. Its not like the Lyrans are going to stop watching over the system and the Ruins because the WoB poisoned one of the planets.

They're not going to suddenly forget about the Ruins in the system.

Maybe if the WoB had poisoned the planet before the Ruins had been discovered, I could see it as an attempt at hiding the traffic in the system, but it didn't happen that way.

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #14 on: 15 March 2018, 05:47:55 »
Also the system might be quarantined because they cant be sure what crazy way sick people will try and get off a planet....

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 15 March 2018, 06:30:20 »
Also the system might be quarantined because they cant be sure what crazy way sick people will try and get off a planet....

This. You can't really effectively blockade a planet without a lot of resources, blockading a system is easier and tamper evident. If a dropship leaves the planet, you know it's not a good thing, you detect a unidentified dropship in space, you know it's not yours, you destroy it, and trace its trajectory to whatever pirate point it's heading for, so you can capture its jumpship.

If you let people in system, some are going to slip away in the confusion, if you maintain an exclusion zone, anything entering that zone becomes eligible for capture or destruction. Makes things easier and more secure in the long run.

Register