Author Topic: Talk to me about...... The Catapault The arrow IV version  (Read 5228 times)

Men Shen

• Master Sergeant
Talk to me about...... The Catapault The arrow IV version
« on: 23 February 2011, 15:09:09 »
I know the CapCon uses the Arrow IV VARIANT, I was just wondering if anyone's used it in games, I'v got two and have quite a few mechs with TAG, I was just wondering if anybody had any success with TAGing and sending Arrow IV at targets. I also was wondering if a whole lance of ARROW IV equipped mechs would be worth using at the company level. Thanks :)

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
Re: Talk to me about...... The Catapault The arrow IV version
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2011, 15:40:53 »
TAGing for Arrows in general is pretty baller.  It actualy does help to have your Arrows in lance strength (or a pair of double units, or something like that) to really make it count.  Send two or three TAGs at a unit you really don't care for, to make sure one hits, and then watch four or so big missiles do your work for you.  Back in the day, you needed dedicated TAG units, but under TW you can mix some dedicated TAGers (there's no reason to let your battery sit idle, so you do need to TAG something everyturn) with a few big brusers that can keep that TAG in their back pocket, just in case they need some help.

As for the Cat, its a bit short on ammo, and not really a great Arrow platform.  Its not bad as a body guard for other, more dedicated units, but in general you're better off with some porpose built tanks and a scary Demolisher or Hunchback to cover them. 
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Men Shen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2011, 16:11:01 »
I'v got three Owenses, I thought the model looked cool bought two for CapCon, Two For DC and the found out they are crap. Would they be good for tagging, I'v also got three ravens that could tag but which mechs would be better, I'v also got 3 men shens I know the One Ti Tsang variant has tag would that be a good tag mech. What good CapCon Vehicles have arrow IV installed. I do like to stay as close to my Faction as possible. Thanks

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2011, 17:21:27 »
I've been mulling over the usefulness or purpose of 'Mech-mounted artillery for a long time. The only explanation I could ever come up with was that 'Mechs provide superior mobility - an ArtilleryMech can be taken along as organic artillery support where tanks and DropShips cannot go, namely combat-drops from orbit and/or combat action in difficult broken terrain. Which is not only referring to strategic or tactical mobility; you can also enter impassable terrain with those 'Mechs and effectively form an artillery nest that tanks cannot reach.
« Last Edit: 23 February 2011, 17:57:19 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2011, 17:45:34 »
The thing about terrain is, so long as there is some clear terrain with in a few miles of the battle, you can still lob your missiles in.  You don't have to be right there in the heat of the action like an LRM mech does.  So the only time a Catapault really has a bid edge is when you need to hot drop it, and that seems like a dicey move, especaly considering the implications of deploying a unit with only five rounds for its gun with out imediate support.

I can't think of what tanks the CC uses.  A few are pretty much universal, I think, so there should be some.  Regulator Arrow, if you want to get a bit frisky, I guess, is one I'm sure of.

As for TAG units, the Ti Tsang and the Owens cover the two ends of the specturm.  The Owens is pretty much useless on its own, so its only real role is to find isolated marks for TAG fire (in other factions, it might haul BA, but in the CC even that is denied to it, since they use mag clamps).  Conversly, the Ti Tsang is the sort of mech that needs to be in the opponent's face anyway, so it may as well use its TAG while it's there.  It definatly gives you some good coverage.

"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Men Shen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2011, 18:45:16 »
the CapCon Catapault CPLT-C5 variant has 20 rounds, that's 4 sets of five arrow's. I think 2 cats raining down 40 rounds of twenty damage each might be okay, leave them in the back, move your other mechs forward and when the Cats run out of ammo wade in with the four ER medium lasers. Thats the strategy I was thinking of trying if the battle was company vs company.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2011, 05:32:31 by Men Shen »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2011, 22:32:11 »
I've been mulling over the usefulness or purpose of 'Mech-mounted artillery for a long time. The only explanation I could ever come up with was that 'Mechs provide superior mobility - an ArtilleryMech can be taken along as organic artillery support where tanks and DropShips cannot go, namely combat-drops from orbit and/or combat action in difficult broken terrain. Which is not only referring to strategic or tactical mobility; you can also enter impassable terrain with those 'Mechs and effectively form an artillery nest that tanks cannot reach.

What he said. The Cat is actually a superior vehicle for such a use - heavy enough to survive most accidents, mobile enough (thanks to jj) to cover any terrain, and (for example with the C5) a battery of four ERML is nothing to sneer at.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2011, 22:52:39 »
. What good CapCon Vehicles have arrow IV installed.

I assume some militia commander would rip the launchers off of a LRM or SRM carrier and slap on two A4s and 4 tons ammo,its a straight swap
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

lowrolling

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2011, 11:13:37 »
I like to modify my Catapults by replacing the heat sinks with 10 doubles and 5 more tons of ammo.
May no one ever know less then me......

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #9 on: 24 February 2011, 14:31:02 »
Which is more or less what the C5 does.

Anyway, the only other capellan TAGgers i can think of right now are the Sha Yu and the Eyleuka, but don't forget the C3 Masters, especially the Yu Huang and Lao Hu versions with one... ;)

Men Shen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 24 February 2011, 16:45:42 »
I'v got two Yu Huang's wanted to use them in the command lance with a Grand titan and an Orion. I don't have any Lao Hu's yet but should rectify that in march at cold wars. Thanks

RAE

• Sergeant
  • Capellan Confederation: Deadly Stylish
« Reply #11 on: 24 February 2011, 17:42:52 »
I also was wondering if a whole lance of ARROW IV equipped mechs would be worth using at the company level. Thanks :)
It most certainly would. Try anchoring it with PLG-5L Pillager to cover Cats' backs and to retain a close range punch to scare off your opponent's fast elements and throw THR-3L Thunder into the mix to outflank and kick the hell - quite literaly - out of those foolish enough to come close to your mobile battery.

What good CapCon Vehicles have arrow IV installed. I do like to stay as close to my Faction as possible.
Regulator (Arrow IV) and Po II (Arrow IV). Chaparral and Arrow IV variant of Demolisher should be available as well.

"Everything falls if it gets hit hard enough. I'll just have to make sure it don't get up again"
- Marcus Barton, Colonel, 2nd MAC

Men Shen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 24 February 2011, 18:06:54 »
Re... RAE

Thanks for the info, was wondering if the Thunder was any good and I had wanted to get at least one or two pillagers any way for my last company to finish off my warrior house hiritsu battalion. Also thanks for the info on the vehicles I knew  the regulator and Po II were capcon vehicles didn't know about the other two though, thanks for letting me know they were arrow IV variants.  [rockon] 

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 25 February 2011, 02:09:17 »
Anyway, the only other capellan TAGgers i can think of right now are the Sha Yu and the Eyleuka, but don't forget the C3 Masters, especially the Yu Huang and Lao Hu versions with one... ;)

Don't now if it was mentioned earlier, and I just missed it...but there's also the traditional Capellan light TAGger, the Raven.

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #14 on: 28 February 2011, 18:44:57 »
Don't forget that Arrow IV tubes have a lot of other great uses aside from Homing.  Air Defense Arrow and Inferno-IV are both really great for taking out non-'Mech forces.