Author Topic: Tactics  (Read 2070 times)

Trailblazer

• Warrant Officer
    • Excaliburs Saga Campaign for MegaMek
Re: Tactics
« Reply #30 on: 10 February 2024, 12:29:09 »
This is my preferred strategy when we play any Clan versus IS scenario and I'm playing as the IS. Mob the Clan heavies and assaults at point blank range. Land multiple kicks and force PSRs. It plays out well if I can avoid taking too much of a beating while closing the distance.

Although if you're playing this strategy against front-line Clan units with canon-level piloting skill of 2 or 3, you can't necessarily count on them failing even a single PSR the whole game...

Jeyar123

• Corporal
« Reply #31 on: 10 February 2024, 20:39:49 »
Axle and wheel.

Slow core up the center, faster units on arcs to distract (or failing that hit flanks).

OatsAndHall

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #32 on: 12 February 2024, 11:45:20 »
I find I rely on aggressive cavalry tactics and movement, but it means with the wrong terrain I can't use to break LOS with heavier units i lose.  Mind you, i can't remember the last 1 VS 1 game I won, actually.

We ran into this on Saturday. It was a 2v2 game and one of the opposing players brought two mediums and a light. They were all fast units (mix of MASC, superchargers, and jump jets) but the map wasn't kind to him. He did a fair amount of damage early on but they got picked apart by units that were parked in cover.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 12 February 2024, 11:59:00 »
The above is why I will bring artillery and smoke rounds (SRM-6 is best) if available to back up my cavalry tactics. The funny thing is always players that really love to camp invest a lot of BV into their Campers. They really hate it when you don't give them shots and pick apart all their spotters only to pound them to pieces at close range where that extra BV isn't as worth it.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #34 on: 12 February 2024, 13:51:09 »
Yeah played this weekend and the GM wouldn't let me start a fire to generate smoke.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

OatsAndHall

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #35 on: 12 February 2024, 13:52:51 »
The above is why I will bring artillery and smoke rounds (SRM-6 is best) if available to back up my cavalry tactics. The funny thing is always players that really love to camp invest a lot of BV into their Campers. They really hate it when you don't give them shots and pick apart all their spotters only to pound them to pieces at close range where that extra BV isn't as worth it.

We don't play with a lot of artillery in our regular games. Smoke rounds are always on the table though. We do open things up quite a bit when playing pick-up games, though. My regular group has found a fairly comfortable groove (i.e. they like their high BV campers). I circumvent the lack of arty by tying various IDF strategies into most of my lists.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #36 on: 12 February 2024, 17:58:39 »
If you can't get proper artillery, Artillery Cannons can work... ;)

OatsAndHall

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 13 February 2024, 10:13:21 »
We played with arty for about a month. But... My regular group trended the way we always do: we spammed arty every game until it was obnoxious.  We tend to beat things to death when we branch out, which can be expected. We have pretty specific parameters for our regular group but the gloves come off when we play pick-up game.

Register