Author Topic: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 5, Green Eyeshade Edition  (Read 150901 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 5, Green Eyeshade Edition
« Reply #780 on: 26 January 2020, 18:09:07 »
Well, I hope Wave 2 isn't going to slip...  :P

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #781 on: 26 January 2020, 18:10:10 »
It is a kickstarter project, hopefully it is only going to slip a bit.  ;)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #782 on: 26 January 2020, 18:13:44 »
The title of the update would have been depressing if I'd gone for any Wave 1 shipping...

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #783 on: 26 January 2020, 18:24:18 »
Wait, March was really a target? lol, i've been figuring things will take until April or May anyway.
So nothing changed for me... still need to finish with pledge manager... can't decide between dice option....

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #784 on: 26 January 2020, 19:17:42 »
Not a big deal tbh. I'll say this, though. I've seen enough shenanigans regarding guarantees and promises from manufacturers in China to say they're basically a chimera and should be taken with a large box of salt. Think Lucy vs. Charlie Brown and the football. It will always happen. Not really a surprise or even a point of frustration, just an observation; it's just how things normally work. Bigger clients get priority and that's just how it is there. Only way you can do better/faster is to a) speak the language and b) have someone visit the company weekly in person.

Edit: I should add that the account of what was going on isn't really that sort of problem.
« Last Edit: 26 January 2020, 19:40:53 by Bedwyr »
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #785 on: 26 January 2020, 19:22:01 »
how is it supposed to start moving if it doesn't slip at some point. Every step forward starts with conquering friction. ;)

all in all actually a good update. With so many production pipelines having just one off track isn't that bad. And the length and specificity of the new date seems to suggest that someone on the factory side actually planned it out a bit and didn't just give out feedback of the accuracy of "may take some weeks" or the like. Of course no assurance, but altogether a positive sign. Being a plot stopper for Wave1 might work out for the best in the end, switching stuff between waves more or less on the fly is a good recipe for a logistics chaos that might take more time to clean up than the delay. ;)

General308

• Captain
« Reply #786 on: 26 January 2020, 19:25:03 »
Honestly I am hoping they use the delay to fix some of the subpar dice

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #787 on: 26 January 2020, 19:36:00 »
Lets hope all the problems get solved out and product goes inbound.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #788 on: 26 January 2020, 19:49:39 »
A slip of only one month is better than we could have hoped for.

Personally I thought we'd be lucky to see it by Memorial Day.
I have spoken.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #789 on: 26 January 2020, 19:53:56 »
I’m shocked. SHOCKED that there’s a delay.

“Maybe we were too ambitious.”

I had figured since the first day of the campaign when the numbers went bananas that this was a highly likely outcome.

To be clear, I consider a 1.5 month delay a smashing success for wave 1.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #790 on: 26 January 2020, 20:05:03 »
As long as wave 1 arrives before summer, I’ll be content.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #791 on: 26 January 2020, 20:14:54 »
Frankly I am shocked the reasons for the delay aren't related to the MASSIVE scope creep, but we'll see if there's any logistics complications once everything reaches the distribution centers.  There's still time for things to go sideways trying to get products to people.

The tooling issue is kind of a funny thing to have popped up, it would have effected the project even if it had barely met its funding.  Still a bit disappointing it came up, of course, but at least they are fixing it for free rather than just going ahead and making an inferior product or charging for the upgrade.

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #792 on: 26 January 2020, 20:22:15 »
This have any effect on the PM end date?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #793 on: 26 January 2020, 20:30:47 »
I honestly don't expect this to be the only delay.  There's a lot of plates that need to keep spinning for this to all come in on time.  Odds are another one is going to fall.  There's a lot going on, and a lot of it isn't in Catalyst's control.  Not bothered by this in the slightest.  I set my expectations for fall 2020 before I even entered my credit card info.  Any sooner is just a happy surprise.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #794 on: 26 January 2020, 22:01:40 »
I’m shocked. SHOCKED that there’s a delay.

“Maybe we were too ambitious.”

I had figured since the first day of the campaign when the numbers went bananas that this was a highly likely outcome.

To be clear, I consider a 1.5 month delay a smashing success for wave 1.
My thoughts exactly.  My brother and I were bouncing it around two weeks ago.  Our bet is June.  And we're good with that. :thumbsup:
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #795 on: 26 January 2020, 22:20:07 »
I've got a backlog of BattleTech, Zombicide, 40k, and Age of Sigmar minis to clear up first so 45 days is a break before the mountain of boxes come crashing down off my bookcase.

hf22

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #796 on: 26 January 2020, 23:36:49 »
Interesting to note the update says they have already sold 40,000 of the current box sets, which is more then I realised.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #797 on: 26 January 2020, 23:41:37 »
without any context besides the vague hints we get occasionally, 40,000 still seems like a lot.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #798 on: 27 January 2020, 00:15:01 »
it would not surprise me. I know two stores that have sold over 30 each. One of them claims to have ordered five retailer packs of the clan invasion box set.

Battletech is - or maybe was - the game that everyone used to play. Now it's updated and easily accessible in a way that it hasn't been in years, with a robust digital footprint to act as an entry vector.

I suspect that the problem is going to be following this up. Namely, the next beginner box/starter set in maybe 6-8 years.
« Last Edit: 27 January 2020, 00:16:55 by Greatclub »

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #799 on: 27 January 2020, 00:25:06 »
Not a big deal tbh.

This. Actually, I was expecting something along this line, and actually 45 days is actually not as long as I was afraid the delay was going to be.

I'll say it once again: Kickstarter is not for the faint of patience.

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #800 on: 27 January 2020, 00:53:10 »
I'll say it once again: Kickstarter is not for the faint of patience.

Agreed. 45 days isn't terrible for an inevitable Kickstarter delay. Heh...There's one project I backed that ended in 2016...and it's only now hitting fulfillment and getting shipped out here soon(fingers crossed) after some major production and manufacturing setbacks. xp

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #801 on: 27 January 2020, 01:17:19 »
without any context besides the vague hints we get occasionally, 40,000 still seems like a lot.

Based on my limited experience with the handful of game stores in reach, they can't keep the boxed sets in stock. As soon as they get new product it gets gobbled up.

(I know I have a powerful desire to Amazon me some more boxed sets. I need three more battlemasters)
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #802 on: 27 January 2020, 01:30:17 »
I should clarify - it sounds like a lot as in “a bigger number than the previous boxes” not “I think the number is inflated”

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #803 on: 27 January 2020, 03:27:04 »
Agreed. 45 days isn't terrible for an inevitable Kickstarter delay. Heh...There's one project I backed that ended in 2016...and it's only now hitting fulfillment and getting shipped out here soon(fingers crossed) after some major production and manufacturing setbacks. xp

I'm waiting on something I backed in 2016 that's in its second round of legal arbitration between the developer and the distributor to try and actually get it out.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

BoyOfSummer

• Master Sergeant
  • I'll either find a way or make one.
« Reply #804 on: 27 January 2020, 03:33:46 »
Quality minis are worth waiting two extra months.
If money could talk, it would say goodbye.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #805 on: 27 January 2020, 04:23:03 »
I should clarify - it sounds like a lot as in “a bigger number than the previous boxes” not “I think the number is inflated”

40,000 boxes - I am officially amazed. Pleased. Gratified that the game I love has so much interest.

At this point, it doesn't matter if every grognard has bought 5 boxes. I doubt that could account for more than half that quantity. And it keeps selling.

If this keeps up, I'm going to suspect the old furphy "Battletech? Isn't that dead?" is - at last - dead itself.

We're back.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #806 on: 27 January 2020, 04:47:27 »
If this keeps up, I'm going to suspect the old furphy "Battletech? Isn't that dead?" is - at last - dead itself.
if the current entertainment landscape is any measurement, the undead are alive and well - hmm, at least they walk. ;)

hf22

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #807 on: 27 January 2020, 05:22:06 »
At this point, it doesn't matter if every grognard has bought 5 boxes. I doubt that could account for more than half that quantity. And it keeps selling.

Given they are talking 15k extra box sets for the Kickstarter, so 55k between the 3 current gen boxes, it is fairly serious numbers indeed. It would have to be the strongest Classic Battletech sales since before Clickytech I’d guess.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #808 on: 27 January 2020, 08:59:23 »
You will receive surveys for all 3 characters seperately.

Source? Because I built the surveys and am overseeing their deployment, and I don't think this is quite accurate.

They aren't separate surveys in the sense that I built, say, three distinct ones, and you would get three separate links. What's most likely going to happen is that people with multiple characters to submit will be identified and will receive one link that allows for multiple responses. The difference to the respondent is basically nothing; the reason for two different links has to do with back-end control, export, and data management. Still working it through with management a bit, but that's my preferred approach.

If you already got one survey, because you pledged as Star Colonel during the Kickstarter, you could just drop that one to free up the money for your friend and later fill out the surveys for the 2 other SCs you will get once Wave 1 closes down.

Otherwise, though, this advice is sound. Taking a credit on this initial survey shouldn't affect your receiving the second, multiple-allowed link.

And: how can I give the information for more than one character in the survey?

You can't, with this initial link. It only allows for one character/submission, though it does allow you to go back in and change/finish answers if you use the same browser and same device.

There's a couple reasons I didn't want to allow multiple submissions just yet. One is data hygiene, so that people with one character who accidentally submit before completing their survey or who want to change something don't generate a second respondent record that we then have to reconcile and de-dupe. Another is system stability and refinement; I wanted to get a handle on how the export and reporting process would go before adding the complication of backers with multiple submissions.

I'm pretty sure anyone with a background in marketing would agree that this survey was somewhat more complicated than you generally want to present to people. But it was unavoidable given the amount of potential usable detail we wanted to allow. I've built plenty of SurveyMonkeys before, this was by far the most complex in terms of construction, deployment, and data collection.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #809 on: 27 January 2020, 09:27:44 »
Do we know what will and won't be available for when the pledge manager opens back up for Wave 2?

The pledge manager will re-open for Wave 2 (that's been said officially elsewhere, but officially saying it again). However, I don't have an exact list of what will or won't be available. TBH, I'm not sure even management has gotten that far yet--I'll pass a note to them to be sure to be clear about this question when the time comes.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile