Author Topic: (Answered) Jettison-Capable "Weapon" Compatibility  (Read 1491 times)

Saklad5

• Sergeant
(Answered) Jettison-Capable "Weapon" Compatibility
« on: 30 August 2023, 09:28:14 »
What precisely qualifies as a weapon for the purposes of the Jettison-Capable Weapon quirk found on page 227 of the third printing of Campaign Operations?

There's been a previous ruling that shields are compatible: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42092.msg1027692.html#msg1027692. Is this because they are capable of being used to damage something? If so, does this extend to industrial equipment? What about hand actuators, which may be used to punch (and more importantly, carry cargo). Salvage Arms?

My idea here is effectively reproducing the Modular Manipulator Adaptation with an IndustrialMech, taking advantage of the ability to swap jettisoned "weapons" designed for different variants.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2024, 14:27:22 by Hammer »

Saklad5

• Sergeant
Re: Jettison-Capable "Weapon" Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2023, 10:06:18 »
Bump.

Saklad5

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2023, 15:55:19 »
Bump.

Saklad5

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2023, 12:41:03 »
Bump.

Saklad5

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2024, 09:47:46 »
Bump.

Saklad5

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2024, 08:12:16 »
Bump.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2024, 13:41:49 »
What precisely qualifies as a weapon for the purposes of the Jettison-Capable Weapon quirk found on page 227 of the third printing of Campaign Operations?

Unseen art (or you just decide it is)

There's been a previous ruling that shields are compatible: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42092.msg1027692.html#msg1027692. Is this because they are capable of being used to damage something?

Vibes. The designer decided to add the quirk.

If so, does this extend to industrial equipment?

Yes

What about hand actuators, which may be used to punch (and more importantly, carry cargo). Salvage Arms?

No

My idea here is effectively reproducing the Modular Manipulator Adaptation with an IndustrialMech, taking advantage of the ability to swap jettisoned "weapons" designed for different variants.

Quirks aren’t construction options. You can’t do this

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Saklad5

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2024, 13:45:16 »
Quirks aren’t construction options. You can’t do this

Based on your answers, I think I could designate variants of an IndustrialMech that differ only in terms of their jettison-capable industrial equipment. That would allow you to swap equipment rapidly using the following feature of the quirk:
A jettisoned weapon may be used by any ’Mech that is a variant of the ’Mech the weapon was originally designed for, as long as the variant features that exact weapon and in the exact same location.

Or does that mean that both variants involved have to use the same weapon, only differing in other respects?
« Last Edit: 21 March 2024, 13:48:50 by Saklad5 »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2024, 14:07:45 »
"A jettisoned weapon may be used by any ’Mech that is a variant of the ’Mech the weapon was originally designed for, as long as the variant features that exact weapon and in the exact same location."

means you can only pass the same piece of gear around. i guess that would be useful if you had two phoenix hawks but only one functioning large laser since there are no other pieces of detachable equipment you can plug into that spot.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Saklad5

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2024, 14:09:04 »
So my modular IndustrialMech dreams are for naught, and this quirk remains basically useless. Oh well. Thanks for the clarification.

Register