Author Topic: The true best pilot in the Inner Sphere  (Read 3066 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
The true best pilot in the Inner Sphere
« on: 12 May 2019, 00:21:11 »
So I was reading Ideal War today (I'd never read it before and was really, really bored) and discovered that there's a scene where Paul Masters uses his Phoenix Hawk to successfully dodge a pair of Streak SRMs from a Blackjack.

Obviously, Paul Masters is the best Mechwarrior ever.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: The true best pilot in the Inner Sphere
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2019, 08:59:43 »
Pretty good for a career staff officer  ;D

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Ferrosol

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2019, 01:26:56 »
Nah, the best pilot in the Inner Sphere is the unknown Yakuza fail-son in one of the Camacho's Caballeros novels (I want to say Heart of Chaos but I'm not certain) who in a short little aside we are told managed to take down a company of Rommels and Pattons with a Quickdraw 5M in a city brawl. If he's capable of doing that in a Quickdraw imagine what he'd be like with a good mech.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2019, 01:40:53 »
So I was reading Ideal War today (I'd never read it before and was really, really bored) and discovered that there's a scene where Paul Masters uses his Phoenix Hawk to successfully dodge a pair of Streak SRMs from a Blackjack.

Obviously, Paul Masters is the best Mechwarrior ever.

iirc there is a scene where he manages to dodge a Davy crockett as well.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2019, 01:56:52 »
He doesn't dodge it so much as torso-twist his mech fast enough that he's not looking directly at it (and therefore not blinded) when it goes off.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2019, 00:45:09 »
Bah. Kyle Wolf is the greatest Mechwarrior ever
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2019, 00:57:49 »
Really?  What did he do that was so impressive?

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2019, 04:16:53 »
Nah, the best pilot in the Inner Sphere is the unknown Yakuza fail-son in one of the Camacho's Caballeros novels (I want to say Heart of Chaos but I'm not certain) who in a short little aside we are told managed to take down a company of Rommels and Pattons with a Quickdraw 5M in a city brawl. If he's capable of doing that in a Quickdraw imagine what he'd be like with a good mech.

Qyuestion: what is so absolutely horrible about the Quickdraw? We only play alpha strike, and the mech is quite OK there, so I am somwhat puzzled here. It is somewhat underarmored, but in alpha strike it is like a good 55-60 tonner when it comes to damage output (mnost 50-60 toners do 2 damage at medium range and the Quickie does 3).

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2019, 08:22:27 »
Really?  What did he do that was so impressive?

Survive for five years in an unmodified AgroMech while racking up multiple kills.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2019, 08:46:24 »
Qyuestion: what is so absolutely horrible about the Quickdraw? We only play alpha strike, and the mech is quite OK there, so I am somwhat puzzled here. It is somewhat underarmored, but in alpha strike it is like a good 55-60 tonner when it comes to damage output (mnost 50-60 toners do 2 damage at medium range and the Quickie does 3).

It’s not horrible, but it’s also not optimized. It’s a 60 tonner moving 5/8/5 with the armor found on a P-Hawk, and a LRM-10, SRM-4, and 4 medium lasers (half of which are in the rear) for weapons and 13 heat sinks on the 4G model. If it were 5 tons lighter, kept movement, weapons and heat sinks the same, it would have 9.5 tons of armor (almost a 20% increase).

The 5M is slightly better (in some ways), with ferro armor, but dropped the SRM down to a single shot rack so it could add CASE.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2019, 10:03:24 »
Ah right. The jump in weight of the secondary elements (JJ, engine, gyro). Nice to know that. it is quite hilarious, really, that a smaller version is better at everything.

Cheers,
Xavi

Ferrosol

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2019, 04:18:48 »
It’s not horrible, but it’s also not optimized. It’s a 60 tonner moving 5/8/5 with the armor found on a P-Hawk, and a LRM-10, SRM-4, and 4 medium lasers (half of which are in the rear) for weapons and 13 heat sinks on the 4G model. If it were 5 tons lighter, kept movement, weapons and heat sinks the same, it would have 9.5 tons of armor (almost a 20% increase).

The 5M is slightly better (in some ways), with ferro armor, but dropped the SRM down to a single shot rack so it could add CASE.

Ruger

Pretty much this. The original quickdraw is a tolerable but not amazing heavy mech for 3025 play.

The 5M on the other hand  Pointless rear-facing guns make a return in a era when firepower is king and it downgrades the okish SRM4 to a terrible OS-SRM4 all in exchange for questionable improvements in survivability.  Even by the typical standards of FWL Clan era "upgrades" it stands out as being a major lemon. I've seen it outfought by mechs 20-25 tons lighter than itself. It's only saving grace is that BV wise it's very cheap as an actual fighting platform it's rubbish.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2019, 04:28:15 by Ferrosol »

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2019, 06:25:00 »
wait... theres only ONE answer to the question who is the true best pilot in the inner spheres...

ME!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D