Author Topic: Is there any Mech that isn't better at 25 tons than 20?  (Read 4363 times)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Re: Is there any Mech that isn't better at 25 tons than 20?
« Reply #30 on: 18 February 2019, 15:01:19 »
Love vehicles but mechs can go places vehicles can't. I guess this falls under ease of transport as its easier to transport one Mech than several vehicles.
Point there: Savannah Master don't enter woods and VTOL is useful only when in the air and burning fuel. In these regards, BattleMech has less restrictions.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 19 February 2019, 05:35:51 »
Point there: Savannah Master don't enter woods and VTOL is useful only when in the air and burning fuel. In these regards, BattleMech has less restrictions.

Thanks. Mechs can do a lot of things vehicles can't. Not that I wouldn't bring them if I can.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #32 on: 19 February 2019, 11:48:27 »
If we want to make comparisons between 'Mechs, would it be easier if we look at real world military vehicles and aircraft? Helicopters Huey (counting unofficial designations) and Hip have been around at least since 1960's and are still in service despite of newer and more capable helicopters being available, like Black Hawk. MiG-21 and F-5 are still going strong around the world despite of existence of more capable fighters. T-55 tank and even older ones are still in use in many thousands (if not in tens of thousands). And can we ever forget Jeep and its derivatives?

With that said, F-5 and and MiG-21 can shoot down most (if not all) military aircraft by themselves. Even most pimped T-55 (medium tank) would have very hard time against modern main battle tanks, but makes short work of everything else within range. Jeep & derivatives can be equipped with ATGMs and can give spanking to main battle tanks. And so mentioned equipment can be way more useful than STG-3R against PXH-1. Guess which 'Mech has more uses?

It looks to me that only advantages STG-3R has going for it are smaller weight (for transportation) and smaller price (for purchase), which may result in "quantity is quality". So question is: do we want, with a limited budget, 'Mech lance or 'Mech company? What would be real world comparison? Platoon of Leopard 2 or company of T-55?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #33 on: 19 February 2019, 15:03:19 »
Putting down local rebellions, guarding factories from armed robbers and potential disgruntled employees, or for basic recon in broken terrain, give me a company of Stingers.  Taking on a 'Mech assault, give me the lance of Phoenix Hawks.  Use the appropriate tool for the task, rather than a pair of gold-plated pliers to pound nails.

That being said, the ratio of 20 tonners to 25 tonners is probably a bit excessive.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 19 February 2019, 16:10:16 »
Hands are kinda useful.

V's can't give obscene gestures, either.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 19 February 2019, 19:20:07 »
They could if they are equipped with manipulators  :-[.

Register