Author Topic: Miniatures of the Fortnight #39: Phantom and Pouncer  (Read 2982 times)

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
Miniatures of the Fortnight #39: Phantom and Pouncer
« on: 28 March 2018, 22:34:48 »
This fortnight, we have our first installment of OmniMechs from the Wolf Clan Sourcebook, the Phantom and the Pouncer.  The Phantom isn't a particularly great scout 'Mech and the Pouncer is an Adder (Puma) with jump jets and still not enough heat sinks and, yet, they're  both unmistakably Clan Wolf.  The Phantom has a modern 'Mech of the Week article but the Pouncer does not.

Both 'Mechs each have a single sculpt available:(The Pouncer is probably my least favorite miniature I've assembled to date.  I found both the arm and leg mounts to be difficult to manage.)

As always, if you have any painted examples of these minis, please share them!  (I actually have both of these painted but I need to take pictures.)  Thank you for reading and especially thank you to those who post.

Our next two fortnights will be: (Dates are approximations)
  • Inner Sphere (4/8): Grasshopper
  • Clan (4/22): Black Python (Viper)
« Last Edit: 22 May 2018, 23:52:43 by Xiwo Xerase »

Luciora

• Major
Re: Miniatures of the Fortnight #38: Phantom and Pouncer
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2018, 16:45:23 »
Phantom Prime and D config

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2018, 16:46:01 »
Pouncer prime and D config also.

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2018, 17:14:03 »
Got one!

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2018, 06:53:21 »
Phantom as part of Wolf in Exile Alpha galaxy. Nothing special about it; it is the mini as delivered (and i wish i had filled the gap between the left arm and torso before i started painting...)
Pouncer is part of clan Wolf's Beta galaxy. This one has been slightly modified. The small laser in its torso has been added by placing a short brass tube and its torso is magnetized. In order to get it turning, some of the hip piece corners have been grinded down.

Schadenfreude

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2018, 16:37:37 »
There are some miniatures that push the envelope for appearance which almost manage to look cool, and some that just don't. Take the Huron Warrior, for instance. I've seen artwork and mods of the original mini that (with a few minor changes from the original design) manage to pull off a look which might, initially at least, look a bit comical.

Aesthetically, the Phantom is a pretty weird looking miniature which does not, and never ever could, look impressive. It could be the even uglier cousin to the Bowman 'Mech--a BattleMech which looks like a public urinal grew arms and legs and went for a walk.

Functionally, I would not want to meet one on even terms.

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2018, 04:39:44 »
Aesthetically, the Phantom is a pretty weird looking miniature which does not, and never ever could, look impressive. It could be the even uglier cousin to the Bowman 'Mech--a BattleMech which looks like a public urinal grew arms and legs and went for a walk.

Phantom, configuration H:

Phantom prime:

« Last Edit: 04 April 2018, 04:43:16 by Siberian-troll »

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2018, 16:46:07 »
OK, so I didn't realize how much the Phantom looks like the Jenner until seeing your more dynamic pose Siberian-troll.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2018, 22:53:33 »
It's been awhile since I've worked on either of these sculpts. I've always had a soft spot for the Phantom, but never really liked the Pouncer. I prefer my lighter machines to have more speed, and the odd armor placement never served me well. I like the thought of the H config, which this example was modified to; more ambush/hit-and-run than a stand-up fighter.

Neither Phantom is modified. I do like ST's changes to the legs. That really helps make it a more dynamic mini, and is something I may have to copy whenever I get around to painting one for myself.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2018, 01:19:08 »
I feel bad.  The lids for my Phantoms are way too high. :'( ;D

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #10 on: 06 April 2018, 16:58:26 »
I feel bad.  The lids for my Phantoms are way too high. :'( ;D

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: 06 April 2018, 22:14:14 »
Maybe they're acting as an air foil and directing air flow to help cool the 'Mech?

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #12 on: 07 April 2018, 11:11:01 »
Maybe they're acting as an air foil and directing air flow to help cool the 'Mech?
I thought they were lowered to discourage ejection.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: 07 April 2018, 15:20:41 »
They're Clan warriors, they don't eject!  ;)

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #14 on: 24 April 2018, 01:55:16 »
Some old paint.The Phantom and is the oldest,painted in enamel,instead with the Pouncer I used acrylic for base color and washing with enamel :-X.

IMG_20180424_083451 by agen2, su Flickr

IMG_20180424_083418 by agen2, su Flickr
« Last Edit: 24 April 2018, 01:58:57 by agen2 »