Poll

Which paintjob looks better (for whatever reason) to you?

Tamar Cavaliers - I Am Iron Man!
10 (52.6%)
4th Skye Rangers - Sue the Kell Hounds, We Wuz First!
9 (47.4%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Let the people decide! Which Lyran paintjob works better for you  (Read 2525 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
So I'm prepping for another Lyran battalion - this one to be Jihad era. Now I've done Lyran Guards, Lyran Regulars, Donegal Guards ... no more blue needed. And Actauran whites - no thanks. And checks are right out.

So the options at the moment are Tamar Cavaliers, and Skye Rangers. I'd considered Tikonov Guards, but their main appearance in the Jihad is as roadkill. So I did one Banshee in each, to see what it looked like.

Here they are:

Tamar Cavaliers is metallic, with red. Skye Rangers is dark red body, black arms, green details.

The Cavaliers 'Mech was painted silver, then red sections filled in, hit with a black ink wash to bring out panels, then drybrushed red over the red areas. The Skye Rangers 'Mech was painted red, arms painted black, green added, then washed with black ink. Green was drybrushed back to brightness, black was ghostbrushed with light grey to add highlights. I haven't based them, as one has an appointment with Mr. Easy Off.

Given I'll be doing 36+ minis in whatever 'do I decide on, it needs to be relatively simple; both approaches meet that requirement. But what looks better - for whatever reason - to you?

Thanks in advance,

W.

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Luciora

• Major
Ultraman!  SU-WATCH!

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
There aren't enough metallic mechs in the world... 😁
That, and I'm not a fan of the green accenting the red/black... 😝

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Green's my favorite color, but it just doesn't seem to work here...

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
Definitely the metallic one WT, but I'd recommend going to a gunmetal rather than a silver, duller looks suit metallic finishes. Or you could choose a nice dark grey and dry brush some silver onto it.

I prefer richer reds too, the one you are using is a little orange for my taste.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
While i prefer the colors of the Skye Rangers there isn't enough love for the Tamar units.
Maybe you can follow the old Camospecs booklet color scheme for the Tamar Jagers? They also have red and black.  ;)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
A battalion of Tamar Cavaliers would be awesome.  But I agree with the richer red comment.  The current red screams 'Combine Mech!' to me.

Will it be combined arms as usual?
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Too much silver doesn't look so good, so I'd go with the Skye Rangers.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
I'm no good, here. If it ain't blue, it ain't Lyran.  :thumbsup:
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Well, 5 votes each way. That helps!  ::)

W  ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
Re: Let the people decide! Which Lyran paintjob works better for you
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2018, 04:51:41 »
Well, 5 votes each way. That helps!  ::)

W  ;)

Sorry, we tend to be terrible like that...

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2018, 10:58:15 »
The only good lyran paintscheme is lying blistered and burned in the dirt at the feet of a combine mech. :)

But seriously I think the Tamil scheme, but I would wash the silver heavier, especially at the joints like the hands, possibly even do a black ghost brushing on them.  Gunmetal is another good idea to knock the silver brightness down a little.

For the red, you could probably go a little darker (seems weird with the silver, but if you knock it down with wash, it should work).  also, an overll coat of Matte should help knock the brightness down a bit. I would also consider painting the knee pauldrons silver, as it would look more intentional, rather than "unpainted" which is somewhat of the impression I get on the legs.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #12 on: 27 April 2018, 12:36:35 »
I prefer richer reds too, the one you are using is a little orange for my taste.

I suspect WT is using yellow in his highlights. I've found that a ruddy flesh tone - a pinkish-peach color - works far better.

Edit: Fixed picture link.
« Last Edit: 27 April 2018, 14:05:47 by ColBosch »
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #13 on: 27 April 2018, 13:41:02 »
Those are gorgeous!  :thumbsup:

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #14 on: 27 April 2018, 19:31:09 »
There aren't enough metallic mechs in the world... 😁
That, and I'm not a fan of the green accenting the red/black... 😝

I agree on both counts.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #15 on: 28 April 2018, 10:06:18 »
While I think the Skye Rangers is a better unit for universe setting- go from Lyran complainers to Republic complainers- I think your Tamar mech looks better.  I also think that red may look lighter simply because the shine from the silver & sitting next to a darker red mech.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

HeavyGun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Dante's Infernals
« Reply #16 on: 28 April 2018, 14:25:36 »
I personally like the Skye Rangers paintjob better
CDT Agent #695, Spokane Valley, Wa.

Get in, Sit down, Shut up and Hold on...oh yeah you better pray cuz your gonna need it!