Author Topic: Let's Play: Front Office Football 7  (Read 8099 times)

Warpimp

• Warrant Officer
    • "Down, Out, and Dispossessed in the Third Succession War" my BattleTech Fan Fiction
Let's Play: Front Office Football 7
« on: 06 June 2015, 22:48:43 »
Let's Play

Hello all,

Since this forum is my primary internet community I have decided to do my LP for this game here.

Front Office Football is an American Football Simulation Game from Solecismic Software. In this game you take the reigns of a football team and play the role of General Manager.

I am still a novice at the game, so it should be a fun run to play without trying to min/max everything and we can learn the game a bit together.

Upon starting a new game the first choice to make, is what team to manage.

I have decided to go with the hard-luck New Jersey (one of the few places the game differs from the real world) Jets.

Instead of going with real rosters though, I am electing to go with randomly generated players and do a fantasy draft. There are a few other options as well:

I actually changed to use random coach names as well but didn't feel like messing with the screenshot again.

Stage 1: The Draft

We drew number 14 in the draft. Not a bad place to go, as we get get a middle pick each round and get to pick without large gaps between players.

I would like this to be an interactive LP, depending on how much response I get. So here is the first decision point: What type of team should we draft?

Let's take a look at our Coaching Staff:

Here is our Head Coach Renaldo Holliday:

He's pretty good. Scouting ability is great to have. The ratings you see for players are not 100% accurate, just like in real football you have to depend on the evaluations your scouts make of players. So these ratings are important. He also is good in most other areas as well.

Next is the Offensive Coordinator, he isn't bad. Motivation and discipline aren't key factors for Coordinators. He is good with young talent, so maybe we can nab some rookies and coach them up well.

After that is our Defensive Coordinator:

He's not so great and will get replaced at first convenience. He is strong with young talent, so maybe we can make some lemonade with that.

Our Assistant Coach is pretty bad, but at least is good with developing players as well. We need much better scouting from him though.

Finally is our strength and conditioning coach. He is pretty middle of the road and will probably get fired as soon as something better comes along.

Here is a look at our stadium and fan support:

We have a four year old stadium that is in great condition and our fans are very excited about our team. This will bode well for us financially. Besides winning games, you also have to steer your franchise financially.

The next phase will be the Allocation Draft.

While I will be doing the drafting myself I want your input. (Please post!)

What should our priorities be? Should we build a  defensive powerhouse? A deep passing threat? Ball control with three yards and a cloud of dust? Should we go for immediate success or draft young players with great potential?

Since it affect personnel, let me know if you would prefer the Jets' default 3-4 scheme or a normal 4-3.

Also, let me know if you want any players named throughout this LP. First come, first serve.
"Down, Out, and Dispossessed in the Third Succession War" my BattleTech Fan Fiction
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,38140.0.html

"Against the Clans" Against the Bot ruleset for Clan campaigns project thread
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,39685.0.html

Warpimp

• Warrant Officer
    • "Down, Out, and Dispossessed in the Third Succession War" my BattleTech Fan Fiction
Re: Let's Play: Front Office Football 7
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2015, 08:22:36 »
Should this be in off topic instead of the hall?
"Down, Out, and Dispossessed in the Third Succession War" my BattleTech Fan Fiction

Warpimp

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2015, 20:51:03 »
Well, I have decided to forge on ahead.

We begin with the 15th pick of the draft. As expected a lot of good talent goes in those first pick. The blue chip QBs and ultra-stud defensive ends. I look at the QBs and see a few rookies with potential. I think I could be successful with any of these. Most importantly, I think I can wait a round to get one, so I take a small gamble and draft a Left Tackle to protect whatever QB I get.

Braxton Gardener is a beast and one of the best LTs available. The 25 year old 6-5, 315 standout from little Mississippi Valley State will be putting blitzers on their ass for years to come.

Now comes the second round. I was closer than I thought to having lost my gamble but there is still a good young QB available.

You'll notice that his bars are different. Being a rookie, we just get to see where our scouts think his maximum potential might be. The better your scouts the smaller the bars. In the amateur draft after the season you can interview players to get an even better feel.

He looks quite capable at everything and just needs some polish to help him reach his potential. Also bear in mind, a 63 overall is quite good in this game. I believe there was only one or two players rated in the 90s in the whole league.

When the ticker rounded back to the Jets in the 3rd round, I had every intention of beginning to draft a defense. Then I spotted this guy just sitting there, like no one needed a stud Running back.

He's a very solid runner and great out of the backfield as well. With this I devise a strategy to draft a strong O-line to protect my rookie QB and give Thurman here some wide holes to get through.

The next round I pick up a Wide Receiver to round out my offensive threat.

He seems great at everything, including punt returns.

Now I finally get my first defensive player, a defensive end. Getting pressure on the QB is a key to success in this game, while this team isn't going to be great defensively, a solid pass rusher is going to at least give us some breathing room.

I go a couple more rounds, grabbing guard and a middle linebacker to give me a little run defense.

The next two rounds give me a couple of beast linemen.
I cut off the names, they are Vinvent Bednarsh and DeAndre Berstein. They make for what they lack in skill with brute strength.

Further down the line, I pick up Brendan Howe, a Tight End that hits like a Mack Truck. And Silas Marshall, Silas can block like a lineman and has hands as soft as baby's.

There isn't anyone particularly special in the rest of my starters. Since my defense sucks anyway I pick up a punter and kicker in the 18th and 19th rounds before the rest of the teams start grabbing them.

After the 24th round the list is pretty clean of great prospects. Instead of going for the best available for any given position, I look for guys with a great special teams rating and players with high leadership and personality for each position group. These players with be positional leaders and can get become mentors for my very young team.

Here is a look at the starting lineup.

« Last Edit: 13 June 2015, 20:53:01 by Warpimp »

The Mighty ACHOO

• Major
  • GET OFF MY LAWN!
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2015, 14:44:09 »
Should definitely be in Off Topic.
If you are waiting for me to go out of my mind you will have to wait. The exits are not clearly marked and the doors open the wrong way. Oh, and the doors are trapped!

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2015, 23:10:00 »
I think the title probably threw off the mods.  I suppose you could pm them and ask for an appeal.  Can't guarantee that they'll change their minds, but it's worth a shot.
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2015, 22:15:00 »
I sure hope this makes it to Off-Topic.  I don't come down to the hall often, but I'd watch the hell out of this.

Also, put my vote deep, deep in the hat that gets us a beyond beastly OL and DL.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Register