Author Topic: Inner Sphere genetic Engineering  (Read 1198 times)

Atlan

• Sergeant
Inner Sphere genetic Engineering
« on: 16 December 2023, 22:00:09 »
So. Genetic Engineering. The concept of altering people in a way that can be passed on to their children, demonized by Star Trek.

In Battletech, Genetic Engineering is almost always associated with the Clans, and their Iron Wombs, and their supersoldier program which doesn't really seem to actually acomplish anything that can't be attributed to their life-long training program.

But the Clans arn't the only example of Genetic Engineering in BT- just the most well known.

I discovered (while reading Touring the Stars: Gulf Breeze) that there are genetically altered people living in the Lyran Commonwealth, who were engineered to withstand high gravity worlds.
I discovered (while reading Touring the Stars: Promised Land) that those same high-g people were from the FLW, and engineered by the Star League.

I discovered that the Battletech Comic had a Capellan Minister of Economics with blue skin, and Comstar ROM agents with pointed ears and dorsal fins on their heads.

I discovered the mentions of Terra's Belters have some vague combination of cybernetics and genetic alterations.

SO- are there any other examples of genetic engineering on humans in Battletech?

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
Re: Inner Sphere genetic Engineering
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2023, 22:06:59 »
Inb4 Canopian catgirl joke
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2023, 22:54:58 »
Surprised no one talked about Frobisher and its aquatic people yet.

I remember reading something about the very early Age of Exploration that saw widespread introduction of germ cell manipulation into Hegemony colonists that allowed settlement of many different alien worlds. I think it was called Homo Stellaris or something like that.

There are rumors of the Genecaste among the .

Technically you also have Delphians which are immune to the Delphi Curse. There is also the blood fever among the Azami, both are not quite genetic engineering as much as Darwinism. While its not intentional genetic engineering regardless people adapt to local conditions and reproduce or die.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2023, 11:46:00 »
In the long term, as Clan Iron Wombs become more prevalent across the Inner Sphere and near Periphery, I wouldn't be surprised if certain noble houses use this as a form of IVF, for couples who would otherwise be childless.

After all, technically Alaric, as a "tank-born" (not quite the same as a regular Trueborn) is the result of an Inner Sphere noble creating an heir using this kind of technology.

Indeed, I would also not be surprised if Clan Sea Fox begins to "sell" this option to Spheroid noble clients. For the right price, of course...
« Last Edit: 18 December 2023, 11:50:31 by Nerroth »

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2023, 12:48:41 »
You don't have to look that far. Phelan and Caitlyn Kell were both "artifically" created due to Salome Ward being unable to concieve naturally

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2023, 19:48:03 »
The majority of humanity was genetically engineered in the 22nd and 23rd centuries, creating what James McKenna referred to as, "Homo Stellaris." As noted in ATOW p. 369:

"[Inner Sphere] Life spans are usually quite high, in the
90s and 100s, but instead of being entirely a result of local
medical care, part of this average results from the centuries
when doctors across human space wielded genetic vaccines.
Humans are simply healthier now than before James McKenna
coined his term, “Homo stellaris."
"

JHS:Terra, p. 136 noted the changes weren't radical:

"(Readers will have to
forgive me if I do not recognize James’
McKenna’s “homo stellaris” as different
from homo sapiens sapiens. JumpShips,
a few genetic vaccines, and a pretty
speech do not a new species make.)
"

However, this wasn't a radical change, nothing like Shadowrun's geneware or bioware. The homo stellaris effort aimed to bolster immune systems against the feared virgin field pandemics of alien worlds.

Even Gulf Breeze's genetic engineering wasn't especially radical: "only minor edits to their joints and cardiovascular systems"'

The Belters of the Terran system apparently use a bit more genetic engineering - more tolerance to zero-G and maybe more life extension edits - but that's not confirmed in canon yet.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2023, 20:03:23 »
I knew you'd come through with the homo Stellaris page reference Cray. ++1

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2023, 01:12:35 »
I discovered that the Battletech Comic had a Capellan Minister of Economics with blue skin

That could be a side effect from overuse of coloid silver.
Shoot first, laugh later.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2023, 08:46:42 »

Or body paint, but misuse of colloidal silver is more amusing.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Atlan

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2023, 19:15:57 »
Thanks to Hotpoints 'Guided by the light of a (red) cameron star' updating today, I have learned about McEvedy's Folly, a planet where a mad scientist attempted to create, among other things, human-animal hybrids.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #10 on: 20 December 2023, 01:52:47 »
Ah yes, BT attempt to bring the insane hilarity of 1996 Island of Dr. Moreau to tabletop. Perfect setting for ToW game, if you have a GM with good sense of humor.
Shoot first, laugh later.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #11 on: 28 December 2023, 21:52:48 »

Chromium Picolate, every day, every orifice; chromium picolate.
-Dale Gribble
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Register