Author Topic: Requesting pre-review of a fanwork to be posted  (Read 1976 times)

plotvitalnpc

• Recruit
  • This is not a place of honor. Only robot clanks.
Requesting pre-review of a fanwork to be posted
« on: 16 September 2021, 15:20:31 »
I have been writing a Battletech fanfic and posting it on another forum for several months now, and due to the small userbase of that site it has been recommended to me by a friend and member of this community that I repost my story here, to try and gather a larger audience. However, the website on which it was originally posted has substantially laxer rules regarding appropriate content. As such, while my friend is of the belief that nothing in the story breaches the PG-13 restrictions of this website, and I am inclined to trust their judgement, for the sake of avoiding joining this community on a negative note I would like to have the existing content pre-screened by moderation to ensure its suitability for the standard of family friendliness CGL has elected to impose.

Is this the appropriate method of requesting such a review of my work? If not, what would be?
Not bird of the sky, nor fish of the sea, nor beast of the fields.
Simply a nerd of the cave.

plotvitalnpc

• Recruit
  • This is not a place of honor. Only robot clanks.
Re: Requesting pre-review of a fanwork to be posted
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2021, 17:10:09 »
Consider this request retracted. I've been informed on another forum I was considering reposting to that pre-screening content, even on the direct request of a user, has some dubious liability implications for the site, as a result of court precedent regarding curation of web content. I wouldn't want to get CGL into hot water like that.
Not bird of the sky, nor fish of the sea, nor beast of the fields.
Simply a nerd of the cave.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2021, 22:17:02 »
Consider this request retracted. I've been informed on another forum I was considering reposting to that pre-screening content, even on the direct request of a user, has some dubious liability implications for the site, as a result of court precedent regarding curation of web content. I wouldn't want to get CGL into hot water like that.

When in doubt, my friend, scale it back or take it out.  Violence is generally ok (well, not on-screen torture and stuff) but the sex stuff? yeah, I'd recommend keeping it "off screen."
Code: [Select]
  "you wanna bump uglies," said Star commander Tina.  "heck yes," said mechwarrior bob.  The next morning, as they woke up naked, they quickly got dressed...  That kinda stuff.

other than that, have fun and welcome! :)

(edit: figured I should say WHY, and it's so the universe can be loved by fans of all ages.  teens reading "battletech" are presumably expecting to walk into war stuff, but the sexy-time stuff is kept minimal to keep it all ages.  At least, that's what I've heard and it makes sense, so...?  anywhoo, let marvel / transformer movies be your guide: you can kill a ZILLION autobots on screen, but keep the sexy making baby-autobots / baby-Hawkeye's off-screen!  ^-^ ;D )
« Last Edit: 16 September 2021, 22:21:10 by five_corparty »

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2021, 15:35:09 »
Two things.

1) I'm totally naming a captured Berserker in my FWL force 'The Ugly-Bumper' now.

2) It's sound advice, what five_corparty has there. If it's going to be sexually explicit stuff, it's probably best to trim it from the version posted here, at the very least. I know that's not something fun to do to your work (there's nothing I hate more than trimming my own writing, just in-general!), but these being the official forums, we do try to keep things pretty PG-13. If there's anything to be said about the internet, it's that there's no shortage of places to put explicit content- but this might not be the one.

The other aspect on that one is that the mod and admin team are all volunteers, with busy lives away from the forums. While asking them to take a few minutes to review a fanfic for sexual/overly-violent content doesn't seem like much at a glance, having dozens of people making those requests adds up fast. I cant ask the mod staff to be editors AND moderators, as you can imagine.

Long ago, I read advice from a former mod here saying that the line is varied, but the best way to look at the line of good taste is 'would I show this to my mom?'. Everyone has different mothers, of course, but you get the idea- if you have stuff in there you wouldn't want to show off to family, it's time to break out the 'delete' button.

That said, I do thank you for asking first, and I do look forward to seeing a less-genitalia-ed version of your work.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Register