Author Topic: Need help with lore-friendly campaign scenario  (Read 2320 times)

Mousecatcher

• Recruit
Need help with lore-friendly campaign scenario
« on: 04 May 2021, 13:35:41 »
Hello, everyone!

So, my situation:

I'm very long-term, but let's say "casual" Battletech fan (my knowledge of setting is pretty wide, but not systematic). I want to try running RP campaign with group of friends (as DM). My greatest desire in this context to make "lore-friendly" plot, something not too fancy (even bit of cliche in good way), but organic both for setting and universal logic.

Important remark: our group has long tradition of specific way of doing characters (they like some basic "pre-sets of general roles" I make for them in advance and then they customize them with details of them liking). Core of group is 4 players, with couple of possible guest ones (people who will join ocasionaly, for temporary roles).

Here is my basic idea so far:

Player 1: Scion of Periphery minor noble house in exile (fief backwater planet lost due devasting "pirate" attack 15 or so years ago). His/her mother spent all this time planning avange (aquiring contacts and resources) in IS, yet now fell terminaly ill, so whole operation must be accelerated no matter the cost.

Player 2: Uncle/Aunt of P1, experienced, but unlucky Solaris gladiator who cut all ties with family long ago in very sour way. Being trapped in debt, he/she now summoned by sister (dying mother of P1) for help. At least for money to clear debts.

Player 3: Merc. Former criminal (something he/she more or less hides, at least initialy).

Player 4: Merc. Former IS house miltary.

Preset is, that mother of P1 (in disperation) secured some dodgy contract with huge mining consortium (generaly leasing most of world on very bad terms) to get money for mechs, transportation and organization of local loyalists (who active on planet against current goverment). Plan is to drop recently formed rag-tag lance on planet, cripple "pirate" main base with suprise attack and, then... well, figure out rest.

As additional RP layer, players, after arriving on planet will to their suprise discover, that they dealing not with some external pirates, but pretty much local popular uprising against tyranny of P1 father (who, as it becomes clear, was horrible man). And that inhabitants of planet (save some small minority) totaly not welcome them as liberators. So it will be moral choices. This also can be spiced up with mining consortium double crossing our group in some what (hiring other mercs to clean them up?). Or one of Periphery powers taking some interest with planet...

I want to ask you to help me figure out some fine details in this general plan (on level of lore feasablity). Starting with simple question: is this scenario possible? If not, what can be corrected? If yes, how can it be done more lore-harmonized, believable?

Is there some fitting mining consortium? Any ideas how to add larger powers in this scenario in more subtile, background way? In what part of Perhipery whole thing need to be placed will be most believable?

All thoughts/critics are super-welcome!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Timeline idea: 3025
« Last Edit: 04 May 2021, 16:03:48 by Mousecatcher »

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Need help with lore-friendly campaign scenario
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2021, 14:52:00 »
I'd actually put it in the Federated Suns Outback. One of the larger pirate concentrations is just outside the Capellan March near the 'East' side of the Taurian Concordat. Basantapur Metals operates near there and everyone's backstory fits fine in the region around Islamabad

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2021, 17:28:14 »
Feasible and has good potential. Well done

Mousecatcher

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2021, 07:55:46 »
Thaks you, guys, for tips & feedback!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2021, 16:21:03 »
Feasible, and interesting enough I offer my services to help you build the characters with my spreadsheet!  :thumbsup:

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2021, 00:35:57 »
Sounds like that setup will fit the House Arano (Aurigan Coalition) to a t - suggrst you check out that sourceboo, and/or the HBS computer game. This region and the Outworlds Alliance are about the only "open" (sorry Taurians) periphery regions that are not outright defined by piracy but by weak real states instead.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mousecatcher

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2021, 11:40:27 »
Daryk, thanks. Where can I find this spreedsheet? Or I need to hire you with some C-Bills first to use it? : )

Frabby, yep, I played game. There is some similiaries, but I want to keep it even bit "one tier lower" in scale, like 1 planet (maybe planet + moon), with relativly little assets and power levels in play, so both me and players can get it gradualy, without being overhelmed with scale. This why I also want to keep out of established faction, creation own place near everyone else and lore friendly, but in same time in bubble to have more creative freedom.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2021, 15:58:10 »
It's linked in my sig block, but the copy I use here at home has more modules ready to be copied and pasted (Herb asked me to "minimize verbatim content" when I first started making it available for download).  No C-Bills necessary!  :thumbsup: