Author Topic: (Answered) Vehicle damage after moving sideways and falling into a basement  (Read 1657 times)

Alfaryn

• Master Sergeant
I have a follow up question regarding problems with basement rules (p. 179 TW) discussed a few months ago here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=55635.0

Which column on Ground Combat Vehicle Hit Location Table do I use if a Vehicle enters a building heh "sideways" (not through a hex side it was facing, or the opposite one)? It may happen for example as a result of a skid, sideslip, domino effect or physical attack. Do I use the Side column (resolving any Side hits as Left Side hits if the Vehicle moved through one of it's Left hex sides, or Right Side hits if the Vehicle moved through one of it's Right hex sides, as labelled on a diagram on p. 192)?

Edit: One more question. Which column/side do I use if a Vehicle fall into a basement not as a result of it's own movement, but because another unit entered the same hex later and caused the combined tonnage of all units in the hex to exceed building's CF? Random? If so what are the probabilities? 1/4 for each front/left side/right side/rear? Or something else - like in Facing After Fall Table?

I reread the basement rules, and the whole idea of determining the column used by vehicles using their movement direction seems problematic not only because of the above questions, but also because the rules say, that you should check if the building CF is smaller than combined tonnage of all units on the ground level at the start of the current Ground Movement Phase (the rules say on Level 0, but they obviously mean the building ground level regardless of the level of the hex the building is standing on - seems like another obvious errata). This means, that to figure out the column of Ground Combat Vehicle Hit Location Table to use in case of falling to a basement, the players need to remember the vehicles' direction of movement during previous round (if they moved at all). This seems like an unnecessary hassle. Maybe it would be better to determine the column/side in the Ground Combat Vehicle Hit Location Table randomly for all vehicle falls into basement?
« Last Edit: 15 November 2018, 13:11:28 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
1)  Use the appropriate side column.

2) Random / wing it.  Too niche to really spend a lot of new rules material on.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0