Author Topic: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)  (Read 99654 times)

RifleMech

• Major
Re: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)
« Reply #690 on: 28 June 2022, 20:05:47 »
I know the Daimyo was picked to be Cosmos but I just say this pic and I couldn't help thinking of Cosmos. https://cfw.sarna.net/news/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Hoplite_Slapshot_2.jpg  It'd need "arms" and a head but I think the Hoplite would work for Cosmos.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #691 on: 29 June 2022, 01:50:34 »
I know the Daimyo was picked to be Cosmos but I just say this pic and I couldn't help thinking of Cosmos. https://cfw.sarna.net/news/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Hoplite_Slapshot_2.jpg  It'd need "arms" and a head but I think the Hoplite would work for Cosmos.

Heheh. That IS cute. But I still like the Daimyo, if only because you don't have to add in the arms and head that you'd have to do for the Hoplite.

- Herb

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #692 on: 29 June 2022, 17:40:26 »
Heheh. That IS cute. But I still like the Daimyo, if only because you don't have to add in the arms and head that you'd have to do for the Hoplite.

- Herb

:) No prob. Easy is good.  :thumbsup:

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #693 on: 29 June 2022, 20:19:59 »
Chopping up a Hoplite for Cosmos wouldn't be easy either, as I'm mentally considering it.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #694 on: 29 June 2022, 20:47:51 »
Chopping up a Hoplite for Cosmos wouldn't be easy either, as I'm mentally considering it.

Probably not. I just saw it and it reminded me of Cosmos.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #695 on: 29 June 2022, 23:08:41 »
there is going to be a plastic hoplite in the upcoming kickstarter.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #696 on: 29 June 2022, 23:23:10 »
I plan to keep things in metal, for consistency sake.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #697 on: 02 July 2022, 11:00:21 »
Bleh. Adding art is making the sections too big, and using the compact format means the fonts get lost.

So, anyway, here's the Intro segment (pp. 4-12) with art!

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #698 on: 02 July 2022, 11:18:21 »
Looking good!  :thumbsup:

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #699 on: 02 July 2022, 11:43:11 »
Hahah, roaches check in,  but they don't check out.   ;D

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #700 on: 02 July 2022, 12:25:16 »
Hahah, roaches check in,  but they don't check out.   ;D

Offer expires while you wait. Operators are standing by...

- Herb

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #701 on: 02 July 2022, 13:52:19 »
(I have decided, BTW, to handle the art for the TRO section with "placeholder" images.)

So, using mainly Record Sheet templates, I came up with the attached compilation of images, covering all the AutoMech and MiniMech units in this book. (Plus one extra. Seems I have no AutoMechs that transform into surface boats.)

- Herb
« Last Edit: 02 July 2022, 13:53:52 by HABeas2 »

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #702 on: 02 July 2022, 17:09:06 »
(I have decided, BTW, to handle the art for the TRO section with "placeholder" images.)

So, using mainly Record Sheet templates, I came up with the attached compilation of images, covering all the AutoMech and MiniMech units in this book. (Plus one extra. Seems I have no AutoMechs that transform into surface boats.)

- Herb

You missed the boats? :o Oops!  ;D There are a few options if you want to include some.

Depthcharge. He's supposed to be a larger ship but I think he could be lighter. Something like a Sea Skimmer.
Broadsword could be smaller and carry drones.
There's an unused paddle steamer design that combines with other classic vehicles. Soundwave turns into an ironclad in a comic book.
A couple mini-cons convert to boats.
There's also an Elita-1 that converts into a boat.

I'm sure there's more but some like Man-O-War would probably be non converting drones.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #703 on: 02 July 2022, 19:26:23 »
Aww.  I thought Luciora miniature work be cool to add. Oh well!  I'm so delighted what been rolling out! Thank you Herb, this is truly :D a gift in the making.  :thumbsup:
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #704 on: 02 July 2022, 19:35:47 »
You missed the boats? :o Oops!  ;D There are a few options if you want to include some.

Depthcharge. He's supposed to be a larger ship but I think he could be lighter. Something like a Sea Skimmer.
Broadsword could be smaller and carry drones.
There's an unused paddle steamer design that combines with other classic vehicles. Soundwave turns into an ironclad in a comic book.
A couple mini-cons convert to boats.
There's also an Elita-1 that converts into a boat.

I'm sure there's more but some like Man-O-War would probably be non converting drones.

That's pretty much what we have here. I have Broadside and Tidal Wave in the list now, and both basically are modified Luftenburg carriers, so they don't transform. I haven't yet determined if I should be including them and the DropShip units in this book (though I probably will, in the end).

Shockwave was the ironclad, though. I'm not sure what Soundwave transformed into.

I found a page on the TFWiki for watercraft units, and Depthcharge does have promise, I must admit. Sea Skimmer feels pretty good, but maybe Monitor would be a better fit as the boat-style minis for that guy show more weaponry.

Food for thought anyway.

Aww.  I thought Luciora miniature work be cool to add. Oh well!  I'm so delighted what been rolling out! Thank you Herb, this is truly :D a gift in the making.  :thumbsup:

Oh, Luciora mini art would go in with units they've done. The rest will be openly posted as "Image Pending". So, if Luciora and folks like him want to keep going, I'd be happy to integrate their work as an "Updated File".

- Herb

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #705 on: 02 July 2022, 19:37:08 »
What's the best way to submit the art?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #706 on: 02 July 2022, 19:56:16 »
What's the best way to submit the art?

Message me and I'll give you my e-mail. Then you can send them to me that way (try to keep e-mails less than 4MB, though; anything larger stands a fair chance of getting lost in the aether). :)

- Herb

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #707 on: 02 July 2022, 19:58:09 »
I feel like I need to balance my minis with more 'cons first 😅  feels a bit lopsided at the moment. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #708 on: 02 July 2022, 20:30:46 »
So is there life left in the biodomes of the Axilum?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #709 on: 02 July 2022, 21:36:44 »
I feel like I need to balance my minis with more 'cons first 😅  feels a bit lopsided at the moment.

I will NEVER say no to more 'Cons!

So is there life left in the biodomes of the Axilum?

Not nearly as much as there used to be, after all this time. I figure that by the 3100s, the domes have been compromised. There was, after all, a nuclear war, and by that point, the AxiMaL faction had already picked a side and started arming its AutoMechs. That would have made them a target. Of course, the AxiMaL AutoMechs that have survived are still holding to their old priorities, which means they'll still fight titanium tooth and tungsten claw to protect what's left.

- Herb

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #710 on: 02 July 2022, 23:07:10 »
i'd assume it has a higher concentration of whatever plant and animal species still survive on the planet, and that they did manage to avoid complete failure for as many decades as they could before any damage it took caused unfixable breaches. fixing the dome would be a high priority directive for them.. not that there would be any of the parts needed for it. but i figure they'd probably keep as much of the surviving environmental control facilities working as they can (since their engineering support automechs would never have been told to stop) so the land below the remains of the dome would have more water, fertilizers, etc being delivered to it, leading to more plantlife and the concommitant wildlife. (possibly, they might even send expeditions out to the rest of the planet to grab samples to bring back, following really old directives. giving an excuse for teams of them to show up just about anywhere.)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #711 on: 03 July 2022, 05:15:08 »
i'd assume it has a higher concentration of whatever plant and animal species still survive on the planet, and that they did manage to avoid complete failure for as many decades as they could before any damage it took caused unfixable breaches. fixing the dome would be a high priority directive for them.. not that there would be any of the parts needed for it. but i figure they'd probably keep as much of the surviving environmental control facilities working as they can (since their engineering support automechs would never have been told to stop) so the land below the remains of the dome would have more water, fertilizers, etc being delivered to it, leading to more plantlife and the concommitant wildlife. (possibly, they might even send expeditions out to the rest of the planet to grab samples to bring back, following really old directives. giving an excuse for teams of them to show up just about anywhere.)

That all seems perfectly reasonable. We've not really seen any AxiMaL maintainers, but that doesn't mean they don't exist, and I too imagined that these would be some repair units that try/tried to keep things going as long as possible. The funny part there would be that they likely spend a lot of time killing off any of the hardier imported species they see meander into their zones, since the whole reason the domes existed was to protect Syberia's eco-sensitive native life forms from the harm created by offworld species encroachment. Some of those expeditions may even be good old-fashioned safaris!

- Herb

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #712 on: 03 July 2022, 15:16:07 »
That's pretty much what we have here. I have Broadside and Tidal Wave in the list now, and both basically are modified Luftenburg carriers, so they don't transform. I haven't yet determined if I should be including them and the DropShip units in this book (though I probably will, in the end).

Shockwave was the ironclad, though. I'm not sure what Soundwave transformed into.

I found a page on the TFWiki for watercraft units, and Depthcharge does have promise, I must admit. Sea Skimmer feels pretty good, but maybe Monitor would be a better fit as the boat-style minis for that guy show more weaponry.

Food for thought anyway.

I hope they get included.

Oops! Flipped them. Shockwave is the ironclad. Soundwave converted to a train engine.

Why not use both? Other AutoMechs have different classes. Why not BoatMechs? The Sea Skimmers could be scouts and strikers and Monitors or even the Mauna Keas (does it have a mini?) could be the main combatants and commanders. I suppose there could even be some salvage variants to rescue sunk Boat and Sub Mechs.

Oh, Luciora mini art would go in with units they've done. The rest will be openly posted as "Image Pending". So, if Luciora and folks like him want to keep going, I'd be happy to integrate their work as an "Updated File".

- Herb

Sounds like it's going to be a great TRO. :)  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: 03 July 2022, 15:21:21 by RifleMech »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #713 on: 03 July 2022, 15:27:38 »
I was always through that such larger mechs would either have drone like battle armor to handle things it needed manipulated such as cargo or do repairs. Have non-transformable ultralight mech so it have something of a defense against commandos like for broadside.

Funny thing, I thought a massive space only transformer would be possible since would need worry about gravity messing you up.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #714 on: 03 July 2022, 16:45:30 »
I was always through that such larger mechs would either have drone like battle armor to handle things it needed manipulated such as cargo or do repairs. Have non-transformable ultralight mech so it have something of a defense against commandos like for broadside.

Funny thing, I thought a massive space only transformer would be possible since would need worry about gravity messing you up.

Space is where I use my Scorpion and Champion LAMs for that reason, no gravity. >:D

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #715 on: 03 July 2022, 20:28:17 »
Why not use both? Other AutoMechs have different classes. Why not BoatMechs? The Sea Skimmers could be scouts and strikers and Monitors or even the Mauna Keas (does it have a mini?) could be the main combatants and commanders. I suppose there could even be some salvage variants to rescue sunk Boat and Sub Mechs.

The only surface naval vessels available as minis (from the BT line, anyway) are the Sea Skimmer and the Monitor. If I'm willing to look into hover-vehicles (many of which have a quasi-naval look), I open the field a wee bit more. And I have multiple submarine units already.

In the case of most Syberian AutoShips and AutoShuttles (read "big boats and DropShips"), they're largely designed to haul other units while their brains and automated systems handle all crew-served needs. As a result, rather than a series of decks and bays and the like, they are mostly cavernous, "open-concept" jobs. Any on-board services needed would fall to their passengers, which can include as many as their tonnage would allow (though a comfortable content would be 1 unit per 100 tons of cargo mass, they can stuff units aboard until they run out of tons). See my Endless Loop fanfic on the Fanfic boards to see how that worked out for our Leopard-sized Astrotrain shuttle analog.

Transforming is right out for anything bigger than 200 tons as they are far too massive (and even then, anything the Syberians made above 100 tons that transformed, did so into a stationary emplacement). Weight has little to do with it; we're talking mass and the need for parts to move with serious precision, often by only a single joint, as they go from one mode to another. That...and I just don't want to try and figure out how to make DropShips and Space Stations transform.

For my Broadsider and Tsunami supercarriers (equivalent to Broadside's and Tidal Wave's carrier modes, respectively), there are 90 fighter cubicles and 60 BattleMech cubicles, plus an additional 10K tons in extra bulk cargo space. This is ample room for units to stroll about and tend to various systems, with MiniMechs (battle-armor sized drones) being just as legitimate for on-board service duties as the automated gantries and service systems of the cubicles (as far as Syberian AutoMechs are concerned, cubicles are basically MASH units with extra launch/recovery capabilities...or, as they might be called in Beast Wars parlance, CR Chambers). Despite being fusion powered, the carriers also have another 13K tons in liquid storage that tends to be entirely devoted toward fuel for the onboard fighters.

So, no worries; the giant non-transforming Syberian automatons are getting along just fine.

Space is where I use my Scorpion and Champion LAMs for that reason, no gravity. >:D

Fluff-wise, it wasn't really gravity that killed either of those units. The Scorpion LAM didn't work because the transformation system simply wouldn't balance right and/or just wouldn't work at all--something that two attempts, centuries apart, failed to work out--while the Champion LAM showed excess stress to both the joints and the jets due to mass (again, not weight, but mass; in space, the problem would have likely been just as bad). But, then again, why am I arguing this, when I have the Syberians here violating all KINDS of transformation limitations?

- Herb

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #716 on: 03 July 2022, 20:38:17 »
Grand Titan LAM????

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #717 on: 04 July 2022, 12:50:43 »
Okay, then....

A new AutoMech--currently the only transforming surface BoatMech--just for you guys:

Code: [Select]
Type: Mariner
Technology Base: Syberian (Experimental)
Tonnage: 90

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 9
Conversion Eqpt: Naval 13.5
Engine: 270 14.5
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Jumping MP: 0
Cruise MP: 3
Flank MP: 5
Heat Sinks (Double): 10 [20] 0
Gyro: 4
Cockpit: AutoMech 3
Armor Factor: 240 15
Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 29 31
Center Torso (rear) 16
R/L Torso 19 25
R/L Torso (rear) 14
R/L Arms 15 25
R/L Legs 19 28

Fixed Components Location Critical Tonnage
Conversion Equipment RA/RL/LA/LL 4 0
Floats RT/RL/LT/LL 4 0

Weapons and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
Common Configuration
ER Large Laser RA 2 5
LRM 10 RA 2 5
SRT 6 RT 2 3
Ammo (LRM 10) 36 RT 3 3
SRT 6 LT 2 3
Ammo (SRM 6) 30 LT 2 2
ER Large Laser LA 2 5
LRM 10 LA 2 5

Notes: Features the following Design Quirks: Illegal (Syberian Robotics AI, Naval/BattleMech conversion), Anti-Aircraft Targeting, Improved Sensors, Protected Actuators, Searchlight

Notable Mariners:
Mariner Type Config. Function Skill Grade Skill Set ’Mech/Vehicle Form
Depth Charger Common ArtilleryMech AbvAvg (4/3) Infantry Bandersnatch/Sea Skimmer*
Dock Watcher Common ArtilleryMech Reg (5/4) Infantry Bandersnatch/Sea Skimmer*

*Remove hydrofoil fins

Enjoy!

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #718 on: 04 July 2022, 13:31:50 »
It's kind of like a double Manticore that floats...  ^-^

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #719 on: 04 July 2022, 14:44:04 »
Awesome more Automechs!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass