Author Topic: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)  (Read 100546 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)
« Reply #900 on: 19 September 2022, 18:00:08 »
I find TWO hilarious things since I last checked here:

1) Part 3 is TWO letters!  ;D

2) Two frowns and one smirk...  ^-^

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #901 on: 20 September 2022, 01:17:29 »
Just a FTI about that pack of metal Transformers minifigs. The pack includes; Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Hot Rod, Cliffjumper, Jazz, Prowl, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Wheeljack, Arcee, Ironhide, Ultra Magnus, Megatron, Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker, Shockwave, and Soundwave. They're metal, nicely painted and very similar in size to the ones from the Dollar Store. There's a picture here.

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-jada-transformers-minifigs-found-at-walmart-with-lucky-pricing-error/46799/

The article says that Walmart is selling them for $12. I got it for $11. Amazon has them has at $20.02 down from $24. Even that's pretty good for fully painted metal minis but I really didn't mind paying a lot less.  >:D  I'd of been tempted to get another one if they had one. The pack also says Series One so there could be more in the future. Time will tell.

The metal minis are very similar in size to the plastic ones found at the Dollar Tree. The plastic Bumblebee and Starscream are a little taller than their metal versions but that shouldn't be a problem. The others are really close in size with more active poses. Over all, I think they're both types pretty good and I'm glad I got them. Now if I just had my BT Minis.  >:D

I also have to say that the minis in the PDFs look great. You all have done an amazing job. :clap: :beer:

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #902 on: 20 September 2022, 08:36:38 »
Love Herb-art.  Very well done!  I like how the metal is reflecting facial expressions without having any mouths.   ;D

As side note, the earlier Spreadsheet mentioned a dropship that was shaped like Pursuit Cruiser, was that dropped?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #903 on: 20 September 2022, 09:54:23 »
Love Herb-art.  Very well done!  I like how the metal is reflecting facial expressions without having any mouths.   ;D

As side note, the earlier Spreadsheet mentioned a dropship that was shaped like Pursuit Cruiser, was that dropped?

Pursuit Cruiser?

As to the faces, yeah, the idea with the Seeker faces is that they have some kind of LCD overlay that they can project expressions on, hence them being just a bunch of faint gray lines that probably wouldn't show as well at long range. I toyed with the idea that MechaTankus's canopy also projects a face on it, if only just the eyes, but a Shootist cockpit isn't conducive to such things...

- Herb

Oh, and the latest spreadsheet is attached here, for anyone interested.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #904 on: 20 September 2022, 13:40:55 »
The hovertanks would be convertible AutoMechs who transform on the decks and glide right off it. :) We'd have to handwave how they get back on without the ship docking first... AutoCarrier is mainly about the planes, anyway.

- Herb

The answer is simple - there is a giant ladder on the side of the ship that the transforming craft extend one limb to grab, then climb up.   ^-^

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #905 on: 20 September 2022, 21:16:30 »
Thanks for the Assist Herb.
I got the "Binder" Titanium series....and now I can play it.
The opening part in the 2007 movie was really awesome to me and really show some capable mechs.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #906 on: 20 September 2022, 22:29:39 »
that scene with Blackout attacking the army base was the closest we'll get to a film with a BT mech. (and honestly i kinda wish that the following films had focused more on the military troops instead of Whitwicky. especially since those guys felt more like GI-Joe than the entire cast of the 2009 GI-Joe film.)
« Last Edit: 20 September 2022, 22:42:20 by glitterboy2098 »

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #907 on: 21 September 2022, 02:55:33 »
that scene with Blackout attacking the army base was the closest we'll get to a film with a BT mech. (and honestly i kinda wish that the following films had focused more on the military troops instead of Whitwicky. especially since those guys felt more like GI-Joe than the entire cast of the 2009 GI-Joe film.)

???  There's this scifi franchise with space wizards that has BT like mechs. There's a couple actually. There's also episodes of other scifi series with BT like mechs.

The military does feel a lot like GI-Joe. I guess that helps explain why the TF LA movies didn't feel very TF to me.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #908 on: 21 September 2022, 05:55:05 »
Semi-final draft of the expanded and improved rules section (final part of the book) here!

Not sure if I want to add more Q&As at the end, and/or what to do with some of the empty space. (Maybe more original art?)

Either way, with the exception of maybe one page way back toward the beginning, that's the whole project basically done, now!

Weeeeeee!

- Herb

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #909 on: 21 September 2022, 09:31:44 »
That's interesting stuff!  I love the Q/A at the end.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #910 on: 21 September 2022, 11:17:21 »
That's interesting stuff!  I love the Q/A at the end.

If you or anyone else feels a need to ask more, go ahead! I'm not 100% I'm done with that part, and there is still space for some more.

- Herb

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #911 on: 21 September 2022, 11:39:38 »
*sigh*

Some days, I swear.... Found a unit in the TRO section that was out of alphabetical order. And I also have to flip all the Skill values, because they show Piloting/Gunnery, not Gunnery/Piloting.

Ah well...

- Herb

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #912 on: 21 September 2022, 12:05:19 »

???  There's this scifi franchise with space wizards that has BT like mechs. There's a couple actually. There's also episodes of other scifi series with BT like mechs.

The military does feel a lot like GI-Joe. I guess that helps explain why the TF LA movies didn't feel very TF to me.
AT-ATs, AT-ST's, and the like don't have the same kind of presence as a BT mech would have.. they're slow, clumsy, and ungainly.

and according to some interviews, the studio had wanted to do a GI Joe film originally but the start of gulf war 2 had Hasbro suggest Transformers instead. i suspect that much of the military side of the film retains a bit of GI Joe DNA.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #913 on: 21 September 2022, 14:15:00 »
Considering they are Has-bros anyways being owned by the same company, and have a canon link with a daughter of a Joe, maybe its intentional as a potential spin-off just in case.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #914 on: 22 September 2022, 16:21:43 »
AT-ATs, AT-ST's, and the like don't have the same kind of presence as a BT mech would have.. they're slow, clumsy, and ungainly.

and according to some interviews, the studio had wanted to do a GI Joe film originally but the start of gulf war 2 had Hasbro suggest Transformers instead. i suspect that much of the military side of the film retains a bit of GI Joe DNA.

I suppose they  look like they're slow, clumsy, and ungainly but I think part of that is their design. Their official speed would make many of them either 4/6 or 6/9 Mechs. Their movement looks good for that.

Considering they are Has-bros anyways being owned by the same company, and have a canon link with a daughter of a Joe, maybe its intentional as a potential spin-off just in case.

There is?

Semi-final draft of the expanded and improved rules section (final part of the book) here!

Not sure if I want to add more Q&As at the end, and/or what to do with some of the empty space. (Maybe more original art?)

Either way, with the exception of maybe one page way back toward the beginning, that's the whole project basically done, now!

Weeeeeee!

- Herb

Wow! Way cool!   :beer: :clap: :thumbsup:

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #915 on: 22 September 2022, 16:44:47 »

Star Empire is about 85 LY away if you want ATs...

I suppose they  look like they're slow, clumsy, and ungainly but I think part of that is their design. Their official speed would make many of them either 4/6 or 6/9 Mechs. Their movement looks good for that.

We put the Scout Walker at 5/8, IIRC, and the AT-AT at 3/5. I recall doing the research to make a lot of stats as close as possible to canon, though looking at Wookieepedia, the AT-AT should be more like 4/6. But then again, Wookieepedia puts the cargo capacity of an AT-AT at over 3,000 tons, with the AT-ST getting a 500-ton cargo capacity. Neither of which are even POSSIBLE in BT tech, so....

- Herb

- Herb

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #916 on: 22 September 2022, 17:11:00 »
Marissa Fairborn, daughter of Flint and Lady Jaye.  That may have been retconned out though.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Marissa_Faireborn

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #917 on: 22 September 2022, 19:26:49 »
We put the Scout Walker at 5/8, IIRC, and the AT-AT at 3/5. I recall doing the research to make a lot of stats as close as possible to canon, though looking at Wookieepedia, the AT-AT should be more like 4/6. But then again, Wookieepedia puts the cargo capacity of an AT-AT at over 3,000 tons, with the AT-ST getting a 500-ton cargo capacity. Neither of which are even POSSIBLE in BT tech, so....
to be fair a lot of the wookiepedia entries on the technical specs come from that cross section books, which were being written by some of the most ardent "argue and 'win' debates on the internet" types (more), and they tended to inflate the specs to make SW stuff superior to everyone. its where the 'gigaton turbolasers' came from for example. and a lot of their figures are just weird to start with. star destroyers apparently burn more fuel per second in their reactors than they mass as a ship for example.

when adapting SW stuff to any gaming ruleset you pretty much have to throw out their wiki stats and go by general feel. at best you can use the weapon mounts data.. but even that is suspect sometimes (i once got banned because i edited the liberator class cruiser to have a more reasonable weapons mount, based on an analysis i'd found of its videogame stats vs other ships in the setting. it had incorrectly been listed as mounting more guns than a Super Star destroyer.. because someone had listed the firepower values from the game as the # of guns) the page was a mod's pet project, and he banned me for half a year because i edited the page twice a month apart.. citing a rule that punishes edit wars that take place within the span of a day. and he banned me in such a way that my entire IP address was blocked, so i couldn't appeal, despite being told that i was allowed to. so so bad info can find its way onto that wiki and stick around) and that page still has the wrong info years later
« Last Edit: 22 September 2022, 19:37:52 by glitterboy2098 »

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #918 on: 22 September 2022, 20:29:25 »
Eh. We eventually came up with figures that made them work for us.

Of course, they ended up sucking when compared to BT, but not everyone in the CNAZ managed to surpass the Star League the way Syberia did.

- Herb

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #919 on: 22 September 2022, 20:35:32 »
Star Empire is about 85 LY away if you want ATs...

- Herb

- Herb

:)

So you rounded down? That's cool. 5/8 works for me. :) I'm not sure about the cargo weights. I saw 500 kilograms for that AT-ST and several thousand tons for the AT-ACT. I can kind of believe it considering how massive the AT-AT style Walkers are. They don't even fit in a single hex space so they're not possible with BT Tech.  But we can make something that looks like it.  >:D

I'm still going over the Syberian Rules PDF. I'm still a bit concerned with how nerfed WiGE Mechs Cruise/Flank speed is. They're using the same Jump Jets/Jump Rockets as Fighter Mechs but they move so much slower. I know you don't want anything like AirMechs but they really shouldn't be so slow. Not when HoverMechs get a +2 to their Cruising MP. Speed bump or not, may suggest giving WiGEMechs fluffed reason for why they're so much slower than FighterMechs?

Here's a few more questions to ponder. Apologies if the answer is already in the PDF. I'm still trying to get through it. Darn distractions! 

Are there any restrictions to which AutoMech types can use Jump Jets, Jump Rockets, or UMUs or which modes those items can be used in? Besides Superheavy AutoMechs. For example, can a Submarine Mech mount Jump Jets? If so, can it use the Jump Jets in Vehicle Mode?

Never mind. Found it!   :)

Are AutoMechs with Vehicle to Vehicle Conversions like that used by the Thorizer possible?

Would FighterMechs with a Prop-Flight Quirk follow the rules for Prop-Air Craft?
Can a FighterMech mount both Turbo-Prop and a Jump Jet? May I presume that Turbo-Props don't work in space? Unless they're based on the Spitfire.  :))

For the purposes of damage, does it matter or not if the Prop is located in the Front?

FighterMechs require 3 Jump Jets. Presumably so they can get into space. Can non space going AirMechs mount fewer Jump Jets? Without having to resort to the Illegal Quirk?
https://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/d/d2/ROTFtoy-RansackScout.jpg
http://images.shoutwiki.com/gbwiki/8/8c/GoBotsToyZero.jpg

Does it matter how VTOL Mechs have their Rotors in Mech Mode when it comes to VTOL Movement in Mech Mode and terrain restrictions?
Out and available.
http://images.shoutwiki.com/gbwiki/8/8b/AceCOTGModel.jpg 
https://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/9/9d/TF-Generations-JP-TG-29-Sandstorm.jpg

Folded up but could possibly be unfolded while still in Mech Mode.
http://images.shoutwiki.com/gbwiki/1/1a/GBWFlipTop.jpg
https://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/1/17/Movie_Blackout_Legends_toy.jpg

Locked out of the way.
https://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/1/18/G1_Sandstorm_toy.jpg
http://images.shoutwiki.com/gbwiki/e/e4/GoBotsToyTwinSpin.jpg

I ask because if they're always out, would VTOL Mechs be prohibited from  entering certain terrain, like Level 2 Woods in either mode?

Out or in, are VTOL Mechs prohibited from using VTOL Movement, in Mech Mode, while in terrain prohibited to VTOLs? Or are the like AirMechs? They can walk into woods and fly out but not fly in or through.

If VTOLMech's rotors are out of the way in Mech mode would they have their own Custom Quirk like; Locked Rotors; This VTOL Mech can't use VTOL Movement while in Mech Mode or something?

Naval Mech movement rules says that Naval Mechs can't use their vehicle motive systems in Mech Mode. I thought it was ruled that Naval Mechs could use their floats in Mech Mode because of Depthcharge. https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:ROTF_Depthcharge_concept.jpg  Has that been changed?   ???

I'm presuming there's no prohibition from converting while under water?

Can AutoMechs mount turrets or additional turrets for those that come with them? For example can I give a Beast Mech a Head Turret so it can turn it's head when it uses it's flame thrower?  Or a Head Turret on a Hover Mech being a lower front turret and the arms the main turret?

Never mind. Found it!  :thumbsup:  I'm loving this project!

Thanks. :) Off to read more! Whoo hoo!  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: 23 September 2022, 17:16:23 by RifleMech »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #920 on: 22 September 2022, 21:32:00 »
i guess now that this thread is winding down i really should start cracking on my own Nebula California Star System. writing up the IE exploration report part has been tougher than i'd like.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #921 on: 23 September 2022, 02:19:21 »
Marissa Fairborn, daughter of Flint and Lady Jaye.  That may have been retconned out though.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Marissa_Faireborn

I suppose it depends on which timeline you use. I figured her for mid twenties in the cartoon as she's a captain. If she was 20 in 2005 she'd of been born in 1985. The year Flint and Lady Jay were introduced. I suppose Marissa could have been born before they joined the Joes but when would they have had time to be parents?

to be fair a lot of the wookiepedia entries on the technical specs come from that cross section books, which were being written by some of the most ardent "argue and 'win' debates on the internet" types (more), and they tended to inflate the specs to make SW stuff superior to everyone. its where the 'gigaton turbolasers' came from for example. and a lot of their figures are just weird to start with. star destroyers apparently burn more fuel per second in their reactors than they mass as a ship for example.

when adapting SW stuff to any gaming ruleset you pretty much have to throw out their wiki stats and go by general feel. at best you can use the weapon mounts data.. but even that is suspect sometimes (i once got banned because i edited the liberator class cruiser to have a more reasonable weapons mount, based on an analysis i'd found of its videogame stats vs other ships in the setting. it had incorrectly been listed as mounting more guns than a Super Star destroyer.. because someone had listed the firepower values from the game as the # of guns) the page was a mod's pet project, and he banned me for half a year because i edited the page twice a month apart.. citing a rule that punishes edit wars that take place within the span of a day. and he banned me in such a way that my entire IP address was blocked, so i couldn't appeal, despite being told that i was allowed to. so so bad info can find its way onto that wiki and stick around) and that page still has the wrong info years later

Yeesh!

Eh. We eventually came up with figures that made them work for us.

Of course, they ended up sucking when compared to BT, but not everyone in the CNAZ managed to surpass the Star League the way Syberia did.

- Herb

I like that they sucked compared to BT. I don't think everything needs to be as good or better, or even equal to.

Did you mean to reference Tactical Handbook when discussing what Physical Weapons were allowed? Since Tactical Handbooks is before 3060 would items in it be available?

It just hit me. FighterMechs have a minimum 3 Jumping MP requirement. It's just the Jump MP that needs to be at least 3. So 2 Jump Rockets providing 4 Jump MP would be legal. Right?

Would the Water Lander Quirk be available to VTOL Mechs?

Can non converting vehicle drones under 5 tons use Battle Armor equipment? I know that's a "no" for non Syberian small vehicles but it always seemed more than odd that a 1 ton unit can out gun a unit that weighs 5 times as much.

Never mind. It's a nope. Would of been nice but oh well. Maybe when we get to the Third League the rules will change. And thank you for the credit Herb. I'm glad I could help contribute. :)

i guess now that this thread is winding down i really should start cracking on my own Nebula California Star System. writing up the IE exploration report part has been tougher than i'd like.

It is?
« Last Edit: 23 September 2022, 04:11:10 by RifleMech »

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #922 on: 23 September 2022, 02:41:43 »

For me, I figure the AT-AT is a long-range armored energy artillery platform with inherent troop transport ability.  It is taller to see over the curve of the local planet, compared to putting the guns closer to the ground (like the turbolaser artillery seen in Attack of the Clones).  There is an Earth horizon distance calculator here.  Basic equation is:
horizon distance = SQRT[(Planet radius + your height)^2 - (Planet radius)^2]

Obviously this equation will fail when your height is a noticeable fraction of the planet's radius

AT-STs are little more than 2-legged jeeps, with a pair of anti-infantry direct-fire weapons on either side and the equivalent of a grenade launcher in the chin.  That chin gun was mainly used to back-shoot the others.

And I need to make more Mobile Structures for my Mortal Engines planet.  They were completely illegal due to these Mobile Structures having a speed higher than 1, but it was fun

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #923 on: 23 September 2022, 10:56:49 »
Considering Marissa's heritage, maybe a boarding school or something?   She may have been staying with relatives the whole time too.  But yes, her age is of some dispute.  I think its a fun nod to the other series as it is. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #924 on: 23 September 2022, 19:24:38 »
I know this is coming out of the blue. Are the bimodal AutoMech "LAM"s different from the ones normal ones aside from the mode difference (Aside more than one mode, illegal ground/air/sea etc abilities)?  Do Bimodal have less criticals used up vs the normal LAMs?  Aside from ignoring 1st damage gyro, do the ground AutoMechs have advantage construction wise over the tri-mode ones?

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #925 on: 23 September 2022, 22:44:59 »
Considering Marissa's heritage, maybe a boarding school or something?   She may have been staying with relatives the whole time too.  But yes, her age is of some dispute.  I think its a fun nod to the other series as it is.

I think, Marissa's father having the same name as Flint is just a fun nod to the other series than a real crossover.

I know this is coming out of the blue. Are the bimodal AutoMech "LAM"s different from the ones normal ones aside from the mode difference (Aside more than one mode, illegal ground/air/sea etc abilities)?  Do Bimodal have less criticals used up vs the normal LAMs?  Aside from ignoring 1st damage gyro, do the ground AutoMechs have advantage construction wise over the tri-mode ones?

Bimodal and Trimodal LAMs have the same criticals. FighterMechs have the same number but the cockpit and life support crits are swapped for CPU crits.

Bimodal LAMs and AutoMechs conversion system is heavy than a Trimodal LAM's.  15% rather than 10%.

Bimodal LAMs and FighterMechs have to take off in Fighter Mode. That makes them a bit more vulnerable than Trimod LAMs which can convert to AirMech Mode and fly away. Bimodal LAMs and Fighter Mechs also have to land as fighters or convert and land as dropped Mechs.

There aren't any Trimodal AutoMechs. Not that I wouldn't mind. AutoMechs also don't get a free gyro hit. AutoMechs can mount more items than LAMs or Quadvees. Ground AutoMechs also have more variety in motive systems than Quadvees. Tracked, Wheeled, and Hover AutoMechs also don't have to pay for motive systems.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #926 on: 24 September 2022, 09:12:03 »
So you rounded down? That's cool. 5/8 works for me. :) I'm not sure about the cargo weights. I saw 500 kilograms for that AT-ST and several thousand tons for the AT-ACT. I can kind of believe it considering how massive the AT-AT style Walkers are. They don't even fit in a single hex space so they're not possible with BT Tech.  But we can make something that looks like it.  >:D

Wookieepedia put AT-ATs at 25m in length, so they definitely fit in one BT hex. We set them up as Superheavies. They're in Welcome to the Nebula California. We even got in the cargo for speeder bikes.

I'm still going over the Syberian Rules PDF. I'm still a bit concerned with how nerfed WiGE Mechs Cruise/Flank speed is. They're using the same Jump Jets/Jump Rockets as Fighter Mechs but they move so much slower. I know you don't want anything like AirMechs but they really shouldn't be so slow. Not when HoverMechs get a +2 to their Cruising MP. Speed bump or not, may suggest giving WiGEMechs fluffed reason for why they're so much slower than FighterMechs?

Count how many WiGE units we have in BT, and in Transformers, and you may notice I have *none* in the entire TRO. WiGEs are just so damned niche that even the Syberians found little to no use for them. If they're nerfed, that simply reinforces their rarity. Plus, in BT, when did the WiGE ever get to be as fast as fighters?

Are AutoMechs with Vehicle to Vehicle Conversions like that used by the Thorizer possible?

Nope. The Syberians went straight to Mechs. (The Thorizer had been a failure a good century and a half before they came here, but converting 'Mechs were fresh, new territory to them, and they went all-in there.)

Would FighterMechs with a Prop-Flight Quirk follow the rules for Prop-Air Craft?
Can a FighterMech mount both Turbo-Prop and a Jump Jet? May I presume that Turbo-Props don't work in space? Unless they're based on the Spitfire.  :))

For the purposes of damage, does it matter or not if the Prop is located in the Front?

I don't think that Quirk exists, does it? And where are the rules for prop aircraft these days?

FighterMechs require 3 Jump Jets. Presumably so they can get into space. Can non space going AirMechs mount fewer Jump Jets? Without having to resort to the Illegal Quirk?
https://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/d/d2/ROTFtoy-RansackScout.jpg
http://images.shoutwiki.com/gbwiki/8/8c/GoBotsToyZero.jpg

Y'know, I know we discussed this someplace, but can you link me what I said back then?

Does it matter how VTOL Mechs have their Rotors in Mech Mode when it comes to VTOL Movement in Mech Mode and terrain restrictions?
Out and available...
Folded up but could possibly be unfolded while still in Mech Mode...
Locked out of the way...

I ask because if they're always out, would VTOL Mechs be prohibited from  entering certain terrain, like Level 2 Woods in either mode?
Out or in, are VTOL Mechs prohibited from using VTOL Movement, in Mech Mode, while in terrain prohibited to VTOLs? Or are the like AirMechs? They can walk into woods and fly out but not fly in or through.
If VTOLMech's rotors are out of the way in Mech mode would they have their own Custom Quirk like; Locked Rotors; This VTOL Mech can't use VTOL Movement while in Mech Mode or something?

For the purposes of gameplay (and our sanity), it doesn't matter, really. I mean, bear in mind that in order to achieve their speeds, VTOLMechs tend to end up putting rotors in almost every torso location, even though their vee forms typically have just one big rotor and a tail rotor. Since the rules enable them to use such rotors to fly even in Mech form (albeit more slowly), we can just handwave that, however their rotors are actually stored, they can pop out as needed for that feature. (Otherwise, I'd be making special rules for each and every transforming helicopter toy out there, and that is anti-fun.)

Naval Mech movement rules says that Naval Mechs can't use their vehicle motive systems in Mech Mode. I thought it was ruled that Naval Mechs could use their floats in Mech Mode because of Depthcharge. https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:ROTF_Depthcharge_concept.jpg  Has that been changed?   ???

Yeah, because just look at that image again! That's NOT buoyant! Anything allowing for standing on the water, all Jesus-like, would sink unless it was a broader platform, like a 'Mech-scaled surfboard. And Water-ski mobility requires constant high-speed movement to maintain itself, which WOULD be a good place for WiGE AutoMechs... But, again, the Syberians didn't make many WiGEMechs, and I could think of no examples to work from.

I'm presuming there's no prohibition from converting while under water?

Nah. Otherwise, the various BoatMechs would never be able to transition.

Please don't get mad if anything in the possibly-upcoming sequel product (Plenty of Room in the Nebula California) happens to tackle a similar concept. (I wrote it way early this year/late last year, and submitted it months ago. Still don't know if/when it will be published.)

I like that [the Star Empire stuff] sucked compared to BT. I don't think everything needs to be as good or better, or even equal to.

Except for their shielding tech, the effectiveness of their "proton torpedoes" (I think), and their super-alarming, super-massive tech and population base, yeah they suck. Also that "Fortune" stuff, which may be another localized magic effect.

Did you mean to reference Tactical Handbook when discussing what Physical Weapons were allowed? Since Tactical Handbooks is before 3060 would items in it be available?

Yeah, I meant Tactical Operations, not the long OOP Handbook.

It just hit me. FighterMechs have a minimum 3 Jumping MP requirement. It's just the Jump MP that needs to be at least 3. So 2 Jump Rockets providing 4 Jump MP would be legal. Right?

Yup. Though remember that Jump Rocket MPs cannot exceed running MP. You'll see at least one FighterMech in the TRO section that carries Jump Rockets which would otherwise exceed its Run MP. The excess point of MP/thrust is basically "wasted" as a result. Rules is rules!

Would the Water Lander Quirk be available to VTOL Mechs?

Is that a real quirk, or another one I talked about adding and never got around to? (If the latter, let me know where I said it.)

Never mind. It's a nope. Would of been nice but oh well. Maybe when we get to the Third League the rules will change. And thank you for the credit Herb. I'm glad I could help contribute. :)

I *think* I may have bent that rule at least once in the TRO, but only in terms of mounting non-weapon items. In all honestly, I would relax the rules if I didn't feel I was opening a floodgate of potential problems there...

And of course you got credit; you helped me refine the rules as I went through them again (and, given the above, may have to remind me if/where/what I said previously that I may have missed.)

For me, I figure the AT-AT is a long-range armored energy artillery platform with inherent troop transport ability.  It is taller to see over the curve of the local planet, compared to putting the guns closer to the ground (like the turbolaser artillery seen in Attack of the Clones).  There is an Earth horizon distance calculator here.  Basic equation is:
horizon distance = SQRT[(Planet radius + your height)^2 - (Planet radius)^2]
AT-STs are little more than 2-legged jeeps, with a pair of anti-infantry direct-fire weapons on either side and the equivalent of a grenade launcher in the chin.  That chin gun was mainly used to back-shoot the others.

Yeah, basically, we treated our AT-AT expy as a superheavy Mech, so it stood about 18m tall, while the AT-ST was an ultra-light 12-tonner.

That horizon distance calculator's neat; basically shows that the typical BattleMech sees about three times as far as a foot trooper.

And I need to make more Mobile Structures for my Mortal Engines planet.  They were completely illegal due to these Mobile Structures having a speed higher than 1, but it was fun

Erf! Mobile Structures! Have fun with that! Did you apply any special rule to getting speeds over 1 MP?

There's no real difference between FighterMechs and bimodal LAMs, no. That's why you'll find that most of them list their only Illegality is that they are driven by Syberian AI, while just about every other convertible unit type also mentions its conversion system as being illegal. (Note: This means that the ground vehicle Mech conversions are a bit more distinct from QuadVees. Somehow.)

There aren't any Trimodal AutoMechs. Not that I wouldn't mind. AutoMechs also don't get a free gyro hit. AutoMechs can mount more items than LAMs or Quadvees. Ground AutoMechs also have more variety in motive systems than Quadvees. Tracked, Wheeled, and Hover AutoMechs also don't have to pay for motive systems.

That's partly true. The Syberian vehicle conversion gear masses DO allow you to avoid having to mount Tracks as separate items, but it's more of a catch-all system, in that the tracks are just counted as part of the conversion gear's weight. This makes a Syberian TrackedMech's total conversion costs about 25% lighter than those of the QuadVee (plus 1 ton for the Syberian AutoMech cockpits, as QuadVees use 4-ton cockpits.) The savings is even better for Syberian WheeledMechs vs Wheeled QuadVees. And then, yeah, there's the added motive types not seen in conversion forms in the IS. How the Syberians came up with conversion systems superior to the Clans? They had time to perfect the tech before they all managed to die out. And they still force you to pay for jump jets, Rotors, and UMUs, so any units using those end up suffering just a wee bit more.

And no, no tri-modes. That's in the back FAQ, along with what one can do instead to deal with such multimodals.

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #927 on: 24 September 2022, 09:14:38 »
Props are in the Support Vehicle rules (in Tech Manual), if I remember right...

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #928 on: 24 September 2022, 09:34:49 »
Props are in the Support Vehicle rules (in Tech Manual), if I remember right...

As a chassis modification, sure, but not a quirk.

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #929 on: 24 September 2022, 09:48:04 »
Right... I thought you were looking for the rules that exist.

Register