Author Topic: an alternate Elizabeth... (ngoverse tangent, short.)  (Read 22724 times)

Wildfire

• Sergeant
Re: an alternate Elizabeth... (ngoverse tangent, short.)
« Reply #240 on: 09 July 2020, 00:56:06 »
I like all your stories but was hoping for once Liz would have a better ending and maybe make it a little later in life. That said excellent twist and story overall.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #241 on: 09 July 2020, 02:15:49 »
Well, that's one way to go out with a bang.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #242 on: 09 July 2020, 05:04:13 »
"I will not become Death, destroyer of worlds!"
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #243 on: 09 July 2020, 05:16:14 »
She only bought a century... not worth all those lives.  Plus, she ensured she wasn't around to try to mitigate things.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #244 on: 09 July 2020, 06:48:58 »
There had to be another way for Liz to solve her issue. Mass murder and suicide could not have been the best or only option.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #245 on: 09 July 2020, 07:51:04 »
My question, which is the dream?  Liz in the bacta tank or blowing herself up?  Or are both of them dreams?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #246 on: 09 July 2020, 09:09:32 »
My question, which is the dream?  Liz in the bacta tank or blowing herself up?  Or are both of them dreams?

That's a good question, and I'm going to leave it up to you to decide what you believe, because I can't give a better ending than the readers can imagine on their own.  (Better being more satisfying, or more fitting with their own view.)

IOW, I leave it to your interpretation.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

smdvogrin

• Corporal
« Reply #247 on: 09 July 2020, 12:19:33 »
And to make it even more "Battletech", imagine reading a summary of these events without any background or seeing the thoughts of the characters involved.

- Nasty SL-era plague unleashed
- Research team to fight the plague established in Kowloon space, with best of FedComm, Clans, etc involved
- Comstar acolyte goes missing after a tour of the facility
- Head researcher writes a letter to childhood friend, saying they found a cure for "everything"
- Facilty destroyed in anti-matter explosion that should not have been possible, killing every member of the research team

How many of you would look at those events in a sourcebook, nod your head wisely, and say "Holy Shroud"?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #248 on: 09 July 2020, 12:23:00 »
Excellent point!  And very sharp, I might add...  ^-^

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #249 on: 09 July 2020, 13:21:57 »
I find it odd that this is controversial.

Elizabeth has always been a character who considered slavery to be the worst crime.

Her reaction to developing an instant slavery machine is on point.

There has to be something that will push a person to violate their core beliefs.

Elizabeth has always pushed for sharing all scientific research figuring that anything that could be invented would be invented.

She believed that her discovery would be repeated she just figured that destroying all of what she'd developed would stop it's development for a few hundred years.

She just thought that her life (and the lives of her research team) was worth a few hundred years of humans being free.

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #250 on: 09 July 2020, 13:43:46 »
But everyone, including Liz is looking at only the evil side of the retro-virus. The possibilities of anything being evil is possible. The number one noncombat killer of is breathing in Di-Hydrogen Oxide. I do not see any warnings placed on the every day use of it.

The retro-virus mechanics can be the one find of mankind that can draw all peoples together. The overwatch and licensing of it use has to be of a very high level. being a nano-bot, it can be programed to only replicate in specific patterns.

Before releasing the information of the Find. The counter agent for 21B and micro scale protection for 21B's target group can be released and bedded into the population and into the worlds ecosystems itself.

Then everyone, especially the Drac's, can have their very one catgirl, we can even proceed with the uplift of the cat race to sapient levels.

And for those who like the idea of seeing their kids riding around on their dog and wanting to do that them selves. We can now breed and modify the Dog breeds to be as big as Horses, and be able to use dogs which are better trainable than horses in their roles.

Just think of the possibilities!

For those who are caught or found to be working on the down side of the nanobot usage, PUT them against a wall and let the catgirls and doggogirls rip them apart.
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Rodon

• Corporal
« Reply #251 on: 09 July 2020, 14:02:44 »
Before releasing the information of the Find. The counter agent for 21B and micro scale protection for 21B's target group can be released and bedded into the population and into the worlds ecosystems itself.

Doesn't work, yes you can design protections, but those same protections can be removed.  IRL its like trying to apply unbreakable DRM to games.  Given all the insane and idiotic people in BT, they would keep trying to turn the people into even more of sheep-people than they already are.  The Star League, one of the best governments to the IS was working on 21B, that should give you an idea of how bad things would likely turn out.

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #252 on: 09 July 2020, 16:10:25 »
Holy shit, what an end ... Well done sirrah, well done indeed. :thumbsup:

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #253 on: 09 July 2020, 18:48:31 »
In another universe, Hanse Davion wondered how much he screwed up by never noticing Elizabeth Ngo when he was in a position to do anything about her.

The answer appears to be "results unclear."  ;D

But everyone, including Liz is looking at only the evil side of the retro-virus. The possibilities of anything being evil is possible. The number one noncombat killer of is breathing in Di-Hydrogen Oxide. I do not see any warnings placed on the every day use of it.

The failure state of this particular pandora's box is significantly more catastrophic. Even unintentional side effects of use done with the best of intentions could be disastrous. Even in the best case scenario, you're looking at potential sphere wide disruption, possibly for generations, as humanity adapts to its new normal.

Particularly as people are prone to fighting against the very idea that they will have to change their ways.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #254 on: 09 July 2020, 20:39:17 »
As a professional, risk boils down to impact (how bad can it get) multiplied by possibility (how likely is it). Where you're comfortable with the outcome is called "risk appetite".

Consider one's own children - the impact of losing one is near-infinite, so one doesn't want to accept very much possibility at all, even if small. Obviously, people's risk appetites differ in specifics, but.

Liz is looking at "what can go wrong with this" - and yes, near-infinite is about right. And how probable? Depends on human nature. Eg. "Hold my beer" level likelyhood.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jonen c

• Sergeant
« Reply #255 on: 09 July 2020, 20:43:33 »
Delaying the discovery by a few centuries, in Liz's mind, may allow for the rest of the techbase to catch up and possibly (hope springs and all that) society to mature as well, whereas releasing the tech right "here and now" would see it picked up and used by at the very least the capellans, the clans, and who knows who else, and thus cement their respective (and in Lizzies mind doomed to - if slow - failure) social experiments...

Whether her ethical calculus was correct or not is debatable, but it is not at all unreasonable or irrational.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #256 on: 11 July 2020, 01:31:22 »
So wait was her locked in and getting the cure, a dream?  or not?

Liz I can see her, rigging the antimatter because well her science went to far.  But was it a dream???

Will there be more????

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Register