Author Topic: What Could Go Wrong Book Two  (Read 38028 times)

2ndAcr

• Captain
Re: What Could Go Wrong Book Two
« Reply #30 on: 26 February 2023, 16:16:13 »
11 August 3046
Linden (Former Outworld System)

Chief Engineer Vincent Zuniga heard the "Awww Shiiit!!!" come over the channel and cursed under his breathe. The dropships sensors and cameras were on maximum zoom, fixed on the dark spot in space. The thermal imager suddenly registered a massive thermal bloom from the once ice-cold station, and he quickly glanced at the normal camera as a bright spot suddenly flared from the same spot. The entire cockpit crew shielded their eyes.

On the station, the security computer ran the SLDF codes thru its memory banks and verified that they were current. It lit off the long-idled fusion reactor setting it for max power output as it started returning the station to life after 260 years being idled. The rush of power in conjunction with the activation of every light on the station switching on at the same time caused the massive flood lamps mounted around the station to be 20% brighter than they normally would before they readjusted to their normal brightness.

Outside the airlock, Major Nathan Davis and Reginald Traveline were frozen, there was nothing they could do anyway. The sudden bright light caused Major Davis to wet himself and Reginald Traveline vomited in his helmet. Both were surprised that they were still there when they opened their eyes again. Major Davis looked at the hatch panel and it was a steady green. His gloved hand trembled as he pushed the green button and the airlock hatch cycled and opened. He looked at Reginald Traveline and realized that he could not see where to go due to the vomit across his view screen. He carefully took his arm and guided him inside the airlock saying "We are still alive, and the airlock is open. I will guide you inside."

"Sweet Jesus that was terrifying. First time I ever lost my lunch on an EVA. Most unpleasant and I do not recommend it." Reginald Traveline replied

Twenty-five thousand kilometers away, Chief Engineer Zuniga heard the chatter and opened his eyes. "Thank god. Get us back over there quickly."
« Last Edit: 26 February 2023, 16:41:36 by 2ndAcr »

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
« Reply #31 on: 26 February 2023, 16:32:20 »
 ;D ;D ;D

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 26 February 2023, 16:32:41 »
when disarming a scuttle charge, brown pants ARE recommended.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #33 on: 26 February 2023, 16:43:32 »
Not just recommended, REQUIRED!  :D

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 26 February 2023, 17:19:50 »
pshaw ... I'll take 31st century adult diapers, please and thank you.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 26 February 2023, 17:20:47 »
RWS Krait and all the people there that are used to working in space, and SaRI has been finding space-based infrastructure.  I see a very profitable trade starting up between them.

If nothing else, giving the RWS Krait a bunch of freshly killed beef and a giant load of clean water would get a lot of goodwill very quickly.

But now it is time to disarm all those stations, and get them either in operations, or buy them from the RWS Krait people.

Also figure out what caused the 2898 catastrophe so it doesn't happen again.  Be very interesting if that catastrophe was man-made.

Also, make sure your space suit has a windshield wiper in addition to the Depends.

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 26 February 2023, 17:22:46 »
Newgrange?
Wishing the Worse on your Enemies
Contact the 13th Armored Calvary
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 26 February 2023, 18:04:50 »
If the total industry could be transited over to Thazi and set up, thqat is a great force multiplier for the FedCom. If they can put ships into production, the Tracker is actually a good workbed, it is escentially a 2 collar Tramp with some good weapons and some Cap weapons. Would make a great starter ship for the FC and a good spy ship.
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 26 February 2023, 18:31:18 »
12 August 3046
Linden (Former Outworld System)

"Core Forge, transit drive, structure, and all the other manufacturing machinery to build a ship from scratch. Heavy automation if the design information is programmed into the yard's computer. I did some digging and finally managed to find what I wanted. There is no Tracker design loaded into the system. But, there is programs from Star Lord Jumpship, Tramp Jumpship and Carrack Transport. There are also two Elephant Tug Dropships inside the construction slip. We just need trained people to operate it and the raw material to make the parts." Major Nathan Davis said

"The people here are spacer bred. Most can wear a pressure suit before they are ten. Who do you think maintains everything out here? They built the additional habitats the hard way, pure EVA. I would bet money that they could figure this system out." Captain Marcus Birch replied

"That does not help us with having no information on the Tracker jump core." Major Davis said

Chief Engineer Vincent Zuniga held up his hand to silence the argument. "Lets get the Krait inside the yard. We can run full diagnostic and then we know exactly what is busted. We handle the repair problem later."

Major General David Mitchell had sat silently as everyone had been speaking but now he said "Captain Birch, we have scratched that itch for you. Now, will you and your people be willing to make the move to Thazi? I would prefer to not have to haul food way out here forever."

Captain Birch sat silently and looked around the table at the other people before speaking. "I will need to speak to the people about that. Linden is dying, we know it. How would we move eevrything from here to Thazi?"

"Fair question. Chief Zuniga, this is your area." Major General Mitchell said

"KF-Boom. Nothing they have out here exceeds the 100,000 ton mark. We have two KF-Booms on those recovered stations. We might find a few others back at Mariopa. But in the meantime, we could return the mining stations to Thazi, remove the KF-Booms and mount them onto whatever we are moving back to Thazi. Couple days to a week added to each end as we remove and remount KF-Booms. The habitats will even double as passenger quarters during the moves. Saves us from cramming them aboard Dropships like sardines and doing a command circuit back to Thazi itself." Chief Engineer Zuniga replied

This time Reginald Traveline spoke up "We can do that but I have a question. The people here did not have access to the shipyard, how did they manufacture the parts and such for the habitats?"

"On the Olympus. Long ago they tore out the bottom and dropped out the LF Batteries. Then sealed it back up again. That freed up enough space to turn it into a massive manufacturing complex by bringing up equipment from the surface. They then used the repair bays to manufacture sections for the habitats before strapping on computer controlled thrusters to ease them out and move them to where they could assemble the habitats by hand the rest of the way. Must be several hundred thousand tons of manufacturing machinery on that Olympus." Captain Birch said

"Never even thought about tearing an Olympus apart like that. Too valuable." Reginald Traveline replied

"I have. We found one and I really wanted to recover it. I ran the numbers and in theory it should work. We never got to test it out though." Chief Engineer Zuniga said

"Even if we could rebuild the Tracker's jump core, we would still need to either grind it down or have the raw material to build a new one." Reginald Traveline said

Captain Birch actually smiled at that before answering "Down on the surface is roughly 500,000 tons of processed Germanium and Titanium, each. It is the one resource this place had and guess that why they placed this stuff here back in 2760 or so. Raw material we have."

Jaws dropped around the table. Major Nathan Davis spoke first after doing mental math. "That is like 65 Billion C-bills worth. Last I checked a ton of Germanium was trading at 130,000 C-bills per ton."

"Well, it is down there. Going to be a very unpleasant task to load all that stuff up. They shut down the last surface processor about 40 years ago. I am told they kept the mine operational and processor at a low rate to keep their skills up on how it was done. Might be one or two old timers still around, but don't count on it. Most are lucky to live past 80 out here and getting worse every year." Captain Birch said

vianca

• Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 26 February 2023, 18:51:08 »
Lol, if that is all transfered over, then Thazi would have two working recharge station and several shipyards & factory stations.
I mean, they still have the good parts of the one they tore down and then there are those derlict Snowdens as well.

As for what happend, probably Comstar.
Heh, that mining company will be really glad that he is about to get buyers of his Germanium.
I mean, from the near start of this story.

I think Hanse and co, will get quite a shock, from not being able to get their jumpships into shipyard and thus laying still, waiting for a ever dwindling yard time slot, to producing their own jumpships.
Some nice jumpship designs as well.
I can see the Carrack being used for the Germanium Hauling, for one.
How long does the builing of one, take?
Might maybe want to start the construction of one, for the relocating to Thazi.
And they even get planetary mining equipement out of it, plus schooling material, I bet.
O and a extra product that they could sell as well, ASF's.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Star_Lord_(JumpShip_class)
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Tramp
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Carrack

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #40 on: 26 February 2023, 19:08:41 »
It's interesting that the RWR only had 1 Tracker class ship in 2765.  Just looked it up on Sarna.   :D

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 26 February 2023, 19:13:15 »
It's interesting that the RWR only had 1 Tracker class ship in 2765.  Just looked it up on Sarna.   :D

it might have something to do with how many were actually produced instead of more prominent, sexier designs. 
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 26 February 2023, 19:13:35 »
It surprises some people (cough)clans(cough), but the RWR did have some patriotic people and did not follow the FatMan.
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #43 on: 26 February 2023, 19:50:06 »
The design dates back to before the invention of dropship collars.  Piss poor weapons installed and advancing sensor technology were the downfall of the design.

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #44 on: 26 February 2023, 20:16:24 »
If the decision is to move everything to THAZI, then SECURITY becomes absolute paramount for the entire solar system.
They should be planning on how to defeat in detail, a multi-regiment assault force: before it arrives in planetary orbit.
AKA "think like a Belta" or "we can energize every pirate point in the system with mega-tonnage nuclear ordnance."

They've recovered gear which puts them on Hesperus or Luthien technology level. 
Alot more people than just the Robes would slaughter the system to get access to the Tech they've recovered.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 26 February 2023, 20:30:55 »
Security will be paramount, move to Thazi or no.  Linden is about to have several concentric circles drawn around it...

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 26 February 2023, 22:31:20 »
12 August 3046
Inner End (federated Commonwealth)

Briscoe Osbourne was feeling pretty good today, after months of soul searching, he had finally decided to enlarge his staff. It would allow him to focus on the mounting tasks from Search and Recovery Inc while the others handled his other clients. He had just closed the deal purchasing Inman Shipping, even though he had extended the deadline by a week. Inman Shipping and Red Star Shipping were now wholly owned by his clients free of all debts. He had hired a forensic accountant to triple check both companies' books and had been informed that both companies would be profitable without the massive debt payments being made. This at least allowed him to leave the current staff of both companies in place, minus their former owners.

He had no direction on what to actually do with the companies though. So, he drew up all the paperwork to form a new company, Outback Shipping, along with the paperwork to transfer both Inman and Red Star Shipping assets into the new company. Even though he could not actually do it without some signatures, he would be prepared if they approved. If they did disagree, it would be the first time they had. He enjoyed working for Search and Recovery Inc, they were easy clients who gave him great latitude in accomplishing his assignments. Plus, they paid very well.

It took him an hour to draw up the paperwork before he checked his messages for the day. If it was like the past few weeks, there would be several hundred messages responding to all of his other messages. So far, he had managed to fill and even exceed quite a few of the requested positions. Though he had several hundred positions still to fill. He just hoped this Derek Paulson was happy with his work. As he read the messages, he also was making careful notes on the acceptance messages.

Basantapur Fine Metals
 Skilled Metallurgy - 40

Sabanillas Mining Company
 Skilled Miners - 40

Palmyra Petrochemicals
 Skilled Drillers - 40
 Skilled Processors - 30

Towne Mining, Incorporated
 Skilled Miners - 20

Federated Industries
 Skilled Body Armor - 10
 Skilled Laser Weapons - 15

Melcher Food Corporation
 Skilled Butchers - 40
 Skilled Meat Processors - 50
 Skilled Veterinary - 20

Kimball's Aquaculture
 Skilled Fisherman - 60

Mendham Electronics
 Skilled Electronics Manufacture - 30

Acrux Agricultural Industries
 Skilled Agriculture - 70

Nashan Pharmaceuticals
 Skilled Virologists - 10
 Skilled Pharmacists - 20

Baxter Metals
 Skilled Miners - 20

Bountiful Delicacies
 Skilled Fisherman - 80

Garvis Petrochem
 Skilled Drillers - 20
 Skilled Processors - 20

Harrow-Deerfield Heavy Industrial Works
 Skilled Manufacturing - 30

Juniper Textiles
 Skilled Processors - 50
 Skilled manufacturers - 40

Maxell Metals Incorporated
 Skilled Miners - 30

Rastaban Agricultural
 Skilled Farmer - 50

Toloy Chemicals
 Skilled Chemical Engineers - 20

Vickers Mining
 Skilled Miners - 40

Virtue Cartographers Unlimited
 Skilled Cartographers - 15

Zettle Metals Incorporated
 Metal Processing - 40

Water Pure Industries
 Skilled Water Purification - 15

Cerulean Waters Inc.
 Skilled Water Purification - 15

McRae Quik Construct
 Skilled Civil Engineers - 30
 Skilled Manufacturers - 30

Curtiss Hydroponics
 Skilled Hydroponic - 30

DuraPaq Solutions
 Skilled Food Processors - 30
 Skilled Inspectors - 10

Tamarind Mining Corporation
 Skilled Miners - 40

Amalgamated Eridani Mining Corporation
 Skilled Miners - 10

Vauxhall Minerals
 Skilled Miners - 10

Interstellar Harvesters
 Skilled Manufacturers - 30
 Skilled Designers - 10

Surinami Processing
 Skilled Food Processor - 30

Pomme De Terre Foods
 Skilled Food Processor - 20

Metals of the Earth
 Skilled Miners - 15
 Metal Processing - 15

Yoshimatsu Chemicals
 Skilled Chemical Engineer - 40

Ningxia Foods
 Skilled Food Processor - 35

Deep Ores Company
 Skilled Miners - 20

Taurus Majoris Mining
 Skilled Zero G Miners - 40
 Skilled Zero G Processing - 40

Alliance Mining and Geology
 Skilled Miners - 25
 Skilled Metal Processor - 30

Capellan Commonality Bank
 Skilled Financial - 10

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #47 on: 26 February 2023, 22:54:52 »
RWS Krait.  Published February 2011 on BattleCorps.

:thumbsup:

Nicely done.
« Last Edit: 26 February 2023, 22:56:56 by mikecj »
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #48 on: 27 February 2023, 04:23:12 »
I'd be worried about the Capellans, but ROM could insert people from anywhere really.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 27 February 2023, 09:45:18 »
it might have something to do with how many were actually produced instead of more prominent, sexier designs.
It's more likely that, while they were produced in quantity, that was so long ago that age and attrition did for almost all of them even before they were sold to the Houses as hand-me-downs.

It would also explain why there is no record of a Tracker core in the database they just found, it was no longer in production or use by the SLDF, so they had no reason to keep details about it's core, much the same way we no longer have the ability to produce the rifling for the Iowa's 16" guns.

Krait is probably among the very last Trackers, if not THE very last one.

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
« Reply #50 on: 27 February 2023, 13:50:50 »
funny thing, KF jump cores are rated by MASS, which means that the Tracker and the Merchant match, (both are 120ktons) even if they can't get a core jumped out to it, they could, arguably, pull the core from one of their deadlined Merchants and slap it in the Tracker
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 27 February 2023, 13:57:15 »
funny thing, KF jump cores are rated by MASS, which means that the Tracker and the Merchant match, (both are 120ktons) even if they can't get a core jumped out to it, they could, arguably, pull the core from one of their deadlined Merchants and slap it in the Tracker

How much would they have to remove from the Tracker to do this?  A Merchant's core is 114,000 tons so they can only keep 6,000 tons from the Tracker.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #52 on: 27 February 2023, 14:02:47 »
How much would they have to remove from the Tracker to do this?  A Merchant's core is 114,000 tons so they can only keep 6,000 tons from the Tracker.

And doesn´t the Tracker have a compact core while the Merchant has a standard core?

At this point, the only idea I have is to dismantle the Tracker, make a plaster cast (or whatever they use in the 31st century) of its core and then use that as a mold for the replacement core.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 27 February 2023, 15:16:02 »
Except that a "plaster cast" doesn't get any of the internal details of the core structure. It'd be like taking a plaster cast of a PC motherboard - sure you could make it look just like the real thing, but it wouldn't be able to actually do anything.

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #54 on: 27 February 2023, 15:34:02 »
Jump cores are not 100% germanium, they have titanium impurities (and probably other impurities) to act as the Ion binding in the core for the power charge, the Germanium is a conductor that causes the field to be the proper wave-lenght and then the core is formed in an odd/specific shape for the forming of the field.
-Me

- Socrates

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #55 on: 27 February 2023, 18:58:34 »
That sounds like very specific fluff... where did it come from? ???

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #56 on: 27 February 2023, 19:03:44 »
Think it was either IO or SO
-Me

- Socrates

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #57 on: 27 February 2023, 19:09:55 »
If you could find a page reference, I would be most appreciative!  :)

LokiJones

• Recruit
« Reply #58 on: 27 February 2023, 19:31:51 »
If you could find a page reference, I would be most appreciative!  :)

Strategic Operations: 122 & 123 talk about the titanium-germanium core.  130 talks about grinding it down to gravel and chemically treat it for travel.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #59 on: 27 February 2023, 19:50:18 »
Hmmm... the current printing of SO:AAR only has four search results for titanium, and they're on pages 110, 111, and 118.  I suspect you're looking at an older version of SO, but that's OK!   :thumbsup:

The fluff rhymes, but there's nothing about "ion binding" or "wavelength" there...  :-\