Author Topic: Survivor  (Read 13813 times)

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
Re: Survivor
« Reply #60 on: 29 May 2023, 12:28:28 »
 I am assuming here that IE would be the main point of inquiry/investigation/interest ... so a second minder (or informant) even on the IE dropper is plausible/possible, given how ornery the Blakist react to LosTech ...

The losses were mainly with the jumpers' crew, though ... I do not expect the Blakists having informants in every jumpers' crew ... but since IE is headquartered on Terra utilizing  Blakist-owned Jumpers on their expeditions is a reasonable assumption.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #61 on: 29 May 2023, 12:36:39 »
Exactly... :)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #62 on: 31 May 2023, 03:21:08 »
  "You wanted to see me sir?"

Jaime set the datapad back in its cradle.  He'd retired to his cabin for the night, but... well... bad thoughts didn't rest. "How much time do we have left?" he asked.

Chief Watson could have interpreted that any number of ways. How much time to the next watch change, how much time on the charging cycle... a good chief knew how to handle his captain, how to gently steer him away from a bad course without actually challenging his authority. And Jaime knew Chief Watson was a good chief.

"A bit under three hours," Chief Watson said instead. Sometimes ignoring something wasn't the way to deal with it. "Unless they found somewhere to shelter. David's last flyby didn't see anything, and our hails still aren't getting any responses." He took the seat opposite from Jaime. "I inquired with the CO of the dropship if they'd be willing to contribute to a rescue party."

Jaime had to at least feign disapproval. "I can't ask them to take that risk," he said.

"It occurs to me that you didn't ask, Captain," Chief Watson replied. "Their skipper says we don't know enough to make an attempt."

"He's right," Jaime agreed. "Even just knowing that some of our people were still alive might swing things, but..."

"But then we're just going around in circles," Chief Watson replied. "We'd have to send a boarding party to see if it's worth sending a boarding party."

"That's about the size of it. And who's expendable enough to ask to go on that damn fool mission?" Jaime pulled open a drawer and pulled out two drinking bulbs. "How long we been doing this, Chief?"

"Is there a time when we haven't been, Captain?" Chief Watson asked as he accepted one of the drinking bulbs. "Seem to recall you were born on this ship, and got your big chair in... what was it, '26?"

Jaime nodded sadly. "And all that time, I haven't lost someone," he said. "Old Tommy passed to cancer, but even I'm smart enough not to blame myself for that. Sam Caruthers, most of the old crew, they moved on to other things over time. But I never..." He struggled to finish the thought and took a long squeeze from the drinking bulb. "Not during the fourth war, or our stint at Farstar, or all the time we've spent as an independent. I've never gotten any of my people killed. Used to feel like a point of pride, but maybe we've all just gotten lucky all this time."

"It gets easier, Captain," Chief Watson said.

"Not soon enough," Jaime said. "It occurs to me that I don't even know how long you've been serving on this ship." Watson had been chief of the boat since at least as far back as Jaime could remember, well into his father's tenure as captain. Maybe even further than that. Somehow, he was less a member of the ship's crew and more it's guiding spirit, and Jaime could almost imagine him being there when the Foxhound's keel had come out of the forge, however many centuries that was.

"Long enough to know that this too shall pass," Chief Watson said. "These hard lessons don't usually come so late, and they're never easy, but it's a lesson that needs learning."

"Heh," Jaime said. "Maybe Sam had the right idea. I should have cashed out years ago, settled down on some quiet place nobody's ever heard of with a pretty girl who's inexplicably fascinated by me. Get something else out of life but brittle bones, gray hairs, and regrets."

"Not a bad dream for some, maybe," Chief Watson said before taking a pull from his own bulb. "Some not so much. Tried it with Amelia's mother for a time. Didn't really take to it. Been doing this too long to really think about anything else. As they used to say, the black in my veins and the choir in my ear."

"You still keeping up with her?" Jaime asked. Chief Watson liked to talk about his daughter Amelia, and a good chunk of his pay went to Comstar to make sure they could mostly keep in touch, but he never talked about her mother. Whatever had happened between the two was a sore spot.

"Amelia's been a bit quiet since we left on this run," Chief Watson replied, "She didn't much care for her baby boy wanting to follow in his Grampa's footsteps."

"You need to swing by once this is all wrapped up," Jaime said. "Take a nice long leave. Make peace."

Chief Watson raised an eyebrow, and Jaime figured something his tone had given the game away. If the Chief hadn't known where this conversation was leading, Jaime was pretty sure he did now.

"You should too, you know," Watson said. "It's been quite a spell since you've seen your own kin in person."

Jaime shrugged. "I don't handle planetary gravity so well anymore," he said. It was probably the best dodge he could manage. Too many years in microgravity, not enough of them paying attention to the exercises meant to hold off the ill effects. "I've got a nice long message for them written out when the Foxhound next hits port."

The eyebrow came back up. "Mean more to them to hear what you have to say in person."

"Can't deny that," Jaime said.  "We'll have to see how it shakes out." He raised his bulb in the air. "To old friends and terrible decisions." He imagined the sound of two rubberized plastic drink bulbs tapped together didn't have the same affect as traditional glasses, but whatever.

The two each drained the contents of their bulbs. What followed was a moment of quiet contemplation. Or maybe just an awkward silence, Jaime wasn't sure.

"That'll be all, Chief," Jaime said. "Mister Tomilson has the con. I'll probably take a stroll before turning in."

The Chief, of course, knew exactly what he meant. "That wise, Captain?"

"Captain's prerogative," Jaime said. After all, who else was expendable enough for such a damn fool mission?

Another moment of silence, and just for that moment, Jaime almost thought Chief Watson would object.

"Understood," he said. "Care for company, Captain?"

Jaime sighed sadly. "I can't ask you to do that," he said.

"It occurs to me you didn't ask, Captain," Chief Watson replied.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #63 on: 31 May 2023, 03:28:26 »
Score one for bad decisions!  ::)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #64 on: 31 May 2023, 03:39:33 »
I really hope they don’t get themselves killed.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 02 June 2023, 05:24:02 »
  Jaime didn't bother with further argument, just quietly nodding instead and grabbing the datapad as they left the cabin. He didn't speak up again until they were halfway to the shuttle bay.

"So assets," Jaime said, referring to the datapad. "There's a vibro-axe for each of us," he said. "A few vibro blades, Two laser pistols and a holdout needler we had stashed away. You have a preference?"

"Might be best to hold on deciding until we get to the launch bay, captain," Chief Watson suggested.

Jaime wasn't sure why that would be a good idea, but he was also pretty sure he was fresh out of good ideas at this point, so he let it lie. The Chief's real meaning quickly became clear, however, when they entered the shuttle bay.

"What the hell are you all doing here?" Jaime barked at the assembled crewmen, already dressed in vac suits and going over a pile of equipment.

"As it happens, Captain," Chief Watson said, "nobody needed you to ask. I chased off the ones we couldn't lose, though some seemed to have slunk back in..."

Jaime scanned the group and his eyes drifted over to one crewman towards the back of the bay. "Mister Watson, Mister Jennings," he barked. "Clear off my flight deck."

Jennings seemed to take the dismissal casually enough. "Can't win them all," he said. Mister Watson held his ground, however, pulling off the helmet he'd been trying to use to conceal himself.

"Sir," he said. "I'd like to..."

Jaime cut him off. "If things go bad, there's nobody on this ship who deserves the fate of explaining to your mom how we lost her boy." Besides, there were already way too many people doing stupid things out of guilt on this deck as there were.

"I couldn't help them," Mister Watson protested. "Please, give me a chance..."

This time it was Chief Watson who cut off his grandson. "Captain's orders, boy," he said simply.

"That's it?" the younger Watson said, his eyes stared daggers of anger and hurt at the chief.

"That's it," Chief Watson replied.

Jennings put his arm around the young pilot. "Come on kid," he said. "We're officially off shift. Let's go get hammered." Mister Watson was led away with only minimal resistance, though felt like the resentment coming off him was palpable.

"He'll get over it," Jaime said.

"Aye," Chief Watson said. "More importantly, he'll get the chance to."

Jaime turned his attention to the rest of the lot in the bay. From his own crew he saw astech Burns, and somewhere inside it felt revolting to think that the Astech was an acceptable choice. The other three people he didn't recognize. He moved over to them, and the two women smartly came to attention, while the third, unsure of what to do, gave a weird hand gesture which started as a salute but turned into some sort of half wave.

"What's your story?" he asked them.

"Abigail Tiernan," the first female said. "Able spacer."

"Gabriel Bulova," the second also said. "Able spacer."

Jaime looked the two of them over, sizing them up. He noted the single pierced ear on each girl, on opposite ears, with a half heart ear ring hanging from the ear. He saw identical tattoos peaking just out of the helmet ring that he recognized as the ship marks some spacers got in tribute of past boats. He also noticed how they held hands, with fingers interlaced.

"Abby and Gabby," he said. "You two are probably sickeningly cute together." He looked back to Chief Watson. "Seriously?"

"They insist they're a package deal," Chief Watson said. "And their skipper wasn't inclined to let anybody else go."

Jaime looked back to the girls. "Your boat's rated for a crew of eight?"

"Nine, sir," Gabby replied. "Worse comes to worse, three or four can keep her running, but the skipper insisted we have a safety margin."

"I thought your captain vetoed joining any rescue," Jaime said.

"Some of us volunteered," Abby said.

Jaime looked back at the chief again. "How many?"

"'bout half of ours and half of theirs," Chief Watson said. "Plus that big fella. Didn't ask them. They came to me."

Jaime glanced back at the third stranger, but for the moment kept his attention on the Chief. "When were you going to tell me?"

"Before it became a gentle mutiny," Chief Watson replied. "As it turns out my Captain turned it into an authorized mission."

"This isn't the mission I was authorizing," Jaime turned his attention back to the big fella. It was a good enough description. He was probably at the upper limit of what his vac suit could actually fit. "How about you? Who are you and What dumb terrible suicidal ideation made you volunteer?"

"Elliot Ameda," the big one said. "Umm.... research assistant?" He seemed to be struggling to find his words. "And... well... Professor Devareux. It feels like he just wants to abandon Professor Donovan. I guess I'm... not okay with that."

"Your confidence is inspiring," Jaime said, before moving over to the pile of equipment. Picking up a vibro-axe from the pile, he turned back towards the assembled volunteers. "This isn't a game. This isn't an adventure or a romantic getaway. And it's definitely not a heroic rescue. A couple of the people who board that shuttle may die. And the rest will definitely die." He fixed Gabby with a stare. "Are you ready to watch your girlfriend try to suck hard vacuum because a gang of robot bimbos ripped her helmet off?"

Both Gabby and Abby were visibly shaken at the image, and Jaime saw Abby give Gabby's hand a reassuring squeeze, but he knew it wasn't as effective as they wanted it to be.

Jaime turned his attention to astech Burns, who'd kept quiet this whole time. "We have no justifiable reason to believe any of our people are still alive," he said. He looked over at Elliot. "Or Professor Donovan. We've had no communications, no signs of life, not even someone crawling on the hull trying to scream into a communicator. They've had three hours in a shot up centuries old derelict they know nothing about crawling with murderous androids. The odds that any of them are still alive are basically zero."

He sighed. "There is no shame in being the ones who survived," he said. "And there is no cowardice in refusing to throw your life away for a lost cause. The people I sent to that derelict are almost certainly gone. And anybody who steps aboard that shuttle now will almost certainly join them. If you are not completely, suicidally willing to embrace that," he looked at Abby and Gabby, "if you aren't willing to watch your loved one die," he shifted his gaze to astech Burns and then Eliott, "if you aren't willing to die failing to scream for a pointless cause, then go. Make something of the life you didn't throw away today."

The launch bay went dead quiet for a moment. Abby and Gabby were the first to leave, Elliot following just a moment later. Astech Burns was the last to go, whispering a quiet apology as he passed his Captain.

Only when the bay was empty save for himself and Chief Watson did Jaime realize how much he was shaking, or notice the little globules of tears floating around his face in the microgravity.

"So was that your big plan?" Jaime asked. "Get me to rant at these dumb suicidal idiots so I'd realize how much of a dumb suicidal idiot I'm being?"

"We had a bit of a situation," Chief Watson said. "So I let my Captain defuse it."

"Your Captain caused it," Jaime said. "So openly trying to hold on to hope like that when I knew damn well it didn't exist. I set a bad example. But you didn't account for something, Chief."

Chief Watson raised an eyebrow. "Sir?"

"I'm responsible," Jaime said. "And I have to know."

The Chief's face visibly saddened. "Aye sir."
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #66 on: 04 June 2023, 17:23:11 »
  "Shuttle Ptolemaeus, requesting clearance for launch," Captain West's voice came over the comms.

Bernard "Tommy" Tomilson found himself hesitating. In addition to being the ship's navigator, he was for all practical purposes executive officer (even if Captain West ran things so loosely that he never actually formally designated an XO). On the one hand, that meant supporting the Captain's decisions in front of the crew regardless of his own personal feelings. On the other hand...

He was currently in command. He could just... say no.

He sighed. That was wishful thinking. "Shuttle Ptolemaeus, you are cleared for launch."

"Roger,"the Captain replied. "Lifting off. Take care of things Tommy, and if worse comes to worse, get the old girl home."

The trip to the derelict wasn't a particularly long one, but it also wasn't long before Jaime found any sort of silence intolerable.

"You never did tell me how long you've been serving on the Foxhound," he said.

Chief Watson looked over from his place at the copilot station. "Is it that important?" he asked.

"Maybe not," Jaime acknowledged. "Dad must not have thought so. He was never big on personnel records. It was just always... odd I guess. An old spacer like you, you've got more experience and sense than probably anybody else I've met out in the black. People like you usually have ships or stations or burrows all their own, instead of spending their lives under someone else's command."

"That isn't me," Chief Watson said. "Never been much for the hard choices. Your father gave me a place and a chance to get my head right when I needed it a long time ago. Seemed right to stick around."

It was the closest Chief Watson had ever come to really talking about himself in... probably as long as Jaime had known him. "No regrets?" he asked.

"Plenty of regrets," Chief Watson said. "If we manage to get back maybe I'll tell you about them. But sticking with the Foxhound was never one."

"Fair enough," Jaime said, before sparing a glance for his instruments. "Ten minutes out," he said. "Still no signs of life. I'm going to plot a circle around it. Get a good look at every part we can before we even think of landing."

"Aye sir," Chief Watson replied.

Emission detected. Evaluation: Wide Band Navigation Radar. Signal consistent with N2719 Model Navscan previously detected. Possible reconnaissance pass. Possible boarding attempt. Direct work party starboard 51 to most probable entry point. Ningyo 18 report status of Prisoner Willie Donovan. Prisoner Willie Donovan current status: inactive (sleeping). Ningyo 21-25 reposition to brig to protect critical asset. All other units on standby to repel boarders. Umigumo units to direct operations. Additional prisoners are acceptable if within engagement parameters. Primary priority, protect ship, protect units, retain control of critical assets.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #67 on: 04 June 2023, 17:30:27 »
I suspect this boarding will go like NOBODY expects...  ::)

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #68 on: 04 June 2023, 17:59:43 »
Has anybody tried hailing the hulk on comms?
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #69 on: 04 June 2023, 18:43:09 »
I was thinking the same thing.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 04 June 2023, 18:55:44 »
Has anybody tried hailing the hulk on comms?

I had to double check to make sure I actually remembered to include mentions of it, but yes. So far they've gotten no response.

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #71 on: 04 June 2023, 20:04:12 »
Decades ago I wrote up and GM'd an adventure with a loosely similar subject; long before "Far Country".
But my players went aboard a 2nd wave CHEMICALLY powered colony jumpship...
that had previously been boarded by nano-machines of unknown origin.
Yes.  I had watched "Alien" a few times too many.
Yes, all the players died.
and YES, under dire bodily threat, I retconned the entire mission to being that of some bad mushrooms & bad sci-fi movie night experience.

But now you know the truth: Robb, Tim, Josh, David, Steve, Eric and John all died horribly.
... and somewhere in all my library, I kept all my notes for that adventure.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 04 June 2023, 21:55:02 »
  Several passes of the hulk didn't net any more information, nor did turning the shuttle's radar to full blast.

"Repeat, this is Captain West to any personnel aboard the derelict. Please respond if able," Captain West said for... well, he'd lost count. "Damnit."

He shouldn't have expected anything different. After all, even if there were still survivors, they'd almost certainly be sheltered somewhere inside the ship, with who knows how many layers of hullmetal between them and anybody trying to contact them from the outside. Because if they weren't, Jaime most likely would have gotten some signal from them already.

"It was a very long shot, Captain," Chief Watson said.

"Yeah," Jaime said. "But it doesn't leave us a lot of other options. Looks like our landing site has to be on the starboard hull. Port side is way too messed up." Just like the last boarding party, they'd have to put down at the center of the ship's tumble to match the rotation, which, because of all the damage to the derelict, also meant landing in the exact same place the last boarding party had. Jaime never pretended to be some sort of military strategist, but he was pretty sure coming in at the exact same point the last guys tried wasn't the height of strategic brilliance.

"You got the landing?" Chief Watson asked.

"Like riding a bike," Jaime said as gently made the necessary adjustments to put the shuttle into a slow spin around its vertical axis. The final adjustments to match the rotation and nudge the shuttle towards the derelict were done with short puffs from the shuttle's cold gas thrusters, just enough to gently nudge the craft into a... reasonably soft landing on the derelict's hull.

Jaime confirmed the maglocks were engaged, then began disconnecting from his seat. "Once I'm clear, I want you to lift off again and hold position a hundred klicks away," he said. "Give me..." he stopped, looking at the chronometer on his wrist. "Two hours, or until something goes wrong. I'll head back out onto the hull and contact you when it's time for pickup."

Chief Watson looked skeptical. "I didn't think you going alone was the plan."

"It was my plan," Jaime said. "The shuttle is critical to operations, and so are you. There's no point in risking either if we don't have to."

"The Captain seems to forget that he's critical to operations as well,' Chief Watson said. "'sides which, with all due respect, Captain, you're a bit on the decrepit side. If it's gotta be just one of us, it should be the one who actually keeps up with his exercises."

Low blow. "Your objection is noted," Jaime said. "It's still my responsibility. Follow my orders, Chief. And make sure you make things right with your kin."

He already had the helmet to his vacsuit up and over his head before Chief Watson responded, and he chose to translate whatever muffled words the Chief uttered as acknowledgement as he stepped back into the main passenger bay. From the equipment lashed to the seats, he selected a vibro axe, a laser pistol, the holdout needler, and a couple different knives to go with his crowbar and standard kit, stashing them wherever he could on his vacsuit. A pouch of replacement power packs went on one shoulder, while a larger sack of emergency air flasks went over the other. Properly geared up, he made his way into the airlock.

"I am such a damned idiot," he said to himself as he let the airlock cycle. When the hatch opened, he took a moment to enjoy the sort of austere beauty of the slowly rotating sea of stars above him before taking his first steps on the derelict's hull. At first it was just a bit disorienting, like the world was trying to drop out from under him even as it was pulling him along, but those sensations passed fairly quickly. He waited until he'd covered a good ten meters before finally toggling his communicator.

"I'm clear," he reported. "Get your ass out of here and wait for my signal."

He was honestly surprised to see the shuttle boost free.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #73 on: 05 June 2023, 01:16:25 »
This is going to be interesting ... very much enjoying the story, Liam's Ghost!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #74 on: 05 June 2023, 03:25:11 »
Well, at least one good decision has been made now...  ::)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #75 on: 06 June 2023, 01:13:32 »
  Two impacts registered, starboard dorsal hull, in proximity to frame 48. Evaluation: Consistent with soft landing on the hull by small craft, followed by soft launch. Presumed boarding operation underway. Most likely route of infiltration deck 45 starboard maintenance airlock. Work Party Starboard 51 assemble at airlock to locate and engage boarders. All units on decks 30-60 begin patrol for infiltration.

Jaime had some choices to make.

The easiest and most obvious way to actually get inside the wreck was to use the same maintenance airlock the first team had used, as it appeared to lead into a relatively intact part of the ship, was close to where Jaime was dropped off and... as their initial passes had determined, had been conveniently left wide open.

Despite all the evidence to the contrary, however, Jaime mused that he wasn't actually that stupid. Instead he kept going across the hull, heading in the direction of the ship's nose, towards a much more prominent, but also trickier entry point.

As he approached the four meter wide blast hole, the first thing he'd noticed was... it looked fairly neat, considering the size. The edges of the hole were ragged and melted as one would expect, but the closer he got, the more incongruous it looked. He'd seen his share of blowouts and hull breaches, even saw a couple of dropships that had been messily torn apart by weapons fire during the Fourth War. As he carefully peered over the edge, mindful of the spin gravity trying to pull him forward, he couldn't help but notice how pristine the decks around the hole looked, despite that hole running the full length from the dorsal to the ventral hull.

"Were you running with zero atmo the whole time?" Jaime asked nobody in particular. "How did your crew function properly..."

The obvious thought hit him. "Okay, I suppose. Depressurize the outer compartments and let your androids handle those areas, keep your humans nice and cozy towards the center. Could work if the androids are smart enough to do the job."

Enough speculation, he reasoned. Time to get to it. His entry plan wasn't exactly standard, but it was doable, if you knew what you were doing. He started by pulling a mag anchor line from his belt and affixed one end to the edge of the hole. The coil of line he lightly tossed into the hole, and let the derelict's tumble do the rest. The force of spin gravity gradually uncoiled the line in the direction of the far deck, while the direction of tumble pulled it in a roughly ventral direction, keeping it clear of the deck walls and the ragged edge of the hull damage. The trip down was... a bit disorienting, the cable had twisted as he went, sending him spinning around, and it wasn't the easiest thing to keep a grip on with vacsuit gloves in the first place, but he made it down in good order, with no catastrophic slipups.

Once on the deck, or more accurately, the ceiling of the deck below, he stopped to take stock. Effective gravity was still light, maybe roughly equivalent to what the Foxhound could manage going all out. Jaime reasoned he could probably move around fine without his bad spacer habits coming back to bite him in the ass.

"So if your theory is right, Jaime boy," he said to himself, "the most likely places for someone who breathes to hunker down is going to be towards the center of the ship, where there might still be compartments that can hold air. And that would be..." He closed his eyes for a moment to concentrate on how the spin gravity felt. "Thataway."

The markings on the walls and bulkheads were in Combine script, and thus no help at all. But most spacecraft tended to have a similar basic layout, both for simplicity and necessity. With enough experience, a spacer could figure out which way things were pretty quickly. Even though he'd never been aboard this ship before, Jaime was confident he'd be able to puzzle out where he was going. 

Unnervingly, the first hatch he'd reached was already opened.

Jaime immediately put his back to the wall and drew the laser pistol. Obviously he didn't know if there was some sort of murderous killbot on the other side of that open hatch, but...

For a moment he considered turning his headlamp off, but decided against it. It was a very obvious beacon, but it was also his only source of light and his only way to see what was around him. If he switched it off, he only might be less visible to the enemy, but also completely blind.

Decision made, he turned back towards the hatch with his laser pistol up and slowly made his way through.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #76 on: 06 June 2023, 03:17:58 »
So far, so... good? ???  :D

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 06 June 2023, 10:01:29 »
storming boldly into trouble.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #78 on: 06 June 2023, 11:35:55 »
interesting enrty point
wonder if the ship detected it??
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #79 on: 06 June 2023, 13:48:57 »
storming boldly into trouble.

Boldly going forward 'cause they cannot find Reverse?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #80 on: 06 June 2023, 18:48:57 »
When you don't know where you're going, any motion looks like progress!  :D

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #81 on: 06 June 2023, 23:41:51 »

Ningyo unit 52 spotted the cone of light shining through the hatch ahead of it almost immediately, and just as quickly, it had wordlessly forwarded its optical data and location to the shipnet as a whole as it came to a dead stop in the middle of the corridor.

As the light fell on the drone, it switched the fire axe it carried from a single hand grip to a two handed grip while its processor calculated the proper angle of attack against the vacsuited figure in front of it.

"What the hell..." No matter what Jaime thought he was expecting, the sight of her... it? still managed to give him pause.

What he saw in front of him was a teenaged redhead girl, dressed in red overalls like any number of girls you might meet on an ordinary day in a small working town, save for her mismatched luminescent eyes, one a vibrant red, the other green, as though they were running lights on a ship. Still, the appearance was convincing and distracting enough that just for a fraction of a moment he almost believed she was real, until she snapped the fire axe in her hands upward.

That broke the spell at the last possible moment, and Jaime fired the pistol. With no air to deflect stray photons, the beam was invisible, but the bright flash of light where it struck the android in the abdomen wasn't. The laser sliced through the cloth of the overalls and the fake flesh underneath with ease, boring a fist sized hole through the android's side. The android didn't even seem to notice as it launched itself down the passage at him. The bulk of his suit and the gear he carried getting the better of him, Jaime stumbled as he tried to evade the attack, falling backward and raising his arm to try to shield himself as the axe came down.

By blind luck the handle of the axe just below the blade slammed into his arm, stopping the blade itself from splitting his helmet open. Even so, Jaime felt an agonizing pain flash all the way down his right arm. Half blinded by the pain, he jabbed the pistol in the rough direction of his attacker and pulled the trigger again when he felt it contact something.

As the stars cleared from his eyes, he was rewarded with the disturbing sight of the android convulsing erratically on top of him. Shoving the machine off caused another shot of pain to run through his right arm, but he got free and backed away from it.

The android struggled to rise, its every motion jerky and spasmodic. Jaime's second shot had cut into it high on the left side of the chest. As one of its arms struggled to maneuver the axe, the other, still firmly gripping the handle, otherwise hung limply from the shoulder. Even so, the android attempted to take another unsteady step towards Jaime before his third shot hit it center mass, finally causing it to drop.

Jaime stayed where he was for a moment, waiting for his heart rate to drop. "Good job, Jaime boy, you got one." He felt the pain pulsing through his arm. "It took three hits to take down and broke your arm, but you got one. Let's not stay here and wait for more to show up."

Hauling himself back up to his feet, he moved on.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #82 on: 07 June 2023, 03:27:10 »
At least 52 was wearing clothes!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #83 on: 08 June 2023, 05:39:53 »
  Data feed lost from Ningyo unit 52. Ningyo unit 52 activation signal terminated. Assume unit destruction.
  Single intruder detected, compartment 412s, deck 42. Last position logged to network. Intruder is armed with small hand weapon, carrying additional unknown equipment.
  Possible objectives: Secondary Reactor, Primary Computer Cluster.
  Ningyo units presently in compartment 412s, converge on last reported location, begin search pattern.
  Ningyo units 29-32, Umigumo unit 07, proceed to designated waypoints. Objective: Prevent access to compartment 412c.
  Ningyo units 12, 17, 19, 20, proceed to designated waypoints. Objective: monitor access between compartments 412s and 390s for intruder.
  Work Party Starboard 51, detach Ningyo units 41, 43, 48, 50. Designated units proceed to designated waypoints. Objective: monitor access between compartment 412s and 434s for intruder.
  Tactical situation mandates temporary activation of additional units. Umigumo 09, proceed to Ningyo bay 45p. Activate 8 Ningyo units in order of operability and proximity. Direct activated units to compartment 412p. Objective: monitor access between compartments 412s and 412p for intruder. Expediency requirement: Directive "equip clothing" temporarily suspended for these units.
  Remaining units, maintain current orders.

If he were a killbot, Jaime reckoned, he'd probably be paying attention to where his prey seemed to be going and try to get ahead of him. With that in mind, Jaime doubled back through the hatch he'd just come through, heading back towards the outer hull. He did his best to recall something useful from all those external scans they'd made of the derelict. The ship's entire outer hull was a mess of combat and other damage, which would probably make for a difficult transit of the outer passages, but he was pretty sure the dorsal area in this part of the ship was in at least a bit better condition than the ventral.

But then, the androids might realize the same thing, and anticipate him choosing the easier route...

Jaime shook his head in his helmet. Trying to out think a computer would drive him to distraction.

He was still debating it when he reached the hole he'd originally used to gain entry, and he couldn't help but spare a wistful look at the cable, still fixed in place.

"That'd be the smart play," Jaime said to himself. "Climb up and bypass this deck entirely, try my luck on another. If only I hadn't wrecked my arm."

Just to be sure, he grabbed the cable with his right hand and gave the line a pull. The pain was intense, but manageable, he figured, until he gave another pull, using both hands to try to actually hoist his weight.

The agony was briefly blinding, and the pain lingered as he let go and let himself fall back to the deck. Using his left hand to gingerly feel around the right arm, he could feel a lump that he was sure hadn't been there before below the elbow, even through the layered materials of the vacsuit, and his right hand now refused to fully extend.

"That was at maybe a tenth of a G," he said between deep breaths. "I'm starting to wonder if this was a stupid idea."

He gave himself maybe a full minute to acclimate to the stabbing, cutting pain before struggling back to his feet, gritting his teeth against every movement his broken arm had to make as he did it. He took another moment to catch his breath and get his bearings again once he was back on his feet.

"So," he said once he'd composed himself. "Work around to the ventral side for as long as we can before turning back towards the core. Let's pretend that's a good idea."

Heading further outboard led to another hatch, closed this time, and while Jaime couldn't read the markings on it, he could tell it was at least an internal hatch. Forcing it open with one arm and a crowbar was... a trial, even with the emergency release in working order. As the minutes ticked by while he continued to wrestle with it, Jaime couldn't help but stop every few moments to look behind him, expecting yet another girl with a fire axe to be coming down the corridor.

Somehow, his luck held, however, and he was able to get the hatch opened without being interrupted. On the other side he found a corridor running perpendicular to this one, with another access hatch directly across from this one. Stepping into the corridor, he could see it gradually curved around in either direction, producing the shape of a largish semicircle. Just what he was looking for. This passage most likely ran for at least a portion of the deck's perimeter.

He spared a moment to take a look at the other hatch in front of him. The words scribed on it were nonsense, but organization of the label looked an awful lot like a directory you might put next to a lift or a maintenance access shaft. Even so, Jaime passed on it. It took time to open these hatches and he never knew if there was someone behind him, and... well... a ladder might be a tough ask at this point.

With no better options, he continued down the corridor.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #84 on: 08 June 2023, 08:50:53 »
this dude is a badass. I hope he survives.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #85 on: 08 June 2023, 10:32:03 »
Right?  Me too.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #86 on: 08 June 2023, 17:33:23 »
Yes, a badass, but one who doesn't know how to climb a rope.  You do NOT use your arms for that.  You use your legs.  Your arm(s) only have to support your weight while you bring your feet up.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #87 on: 08 June 2023, 23:22:43 »
Yes, a badass, but one who doesn't know how to climb a rope.  You do NOT use your arms for that.  You use your legs.  Your arm(s) only have to support your weight while you bring your feet up.
you use your arms when you are in zero gravity. using your legs just gets you tangles up in your tether. in zero gravity you use your arms for most things.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #88 on: 12 June 2023, 03:25:01 »
  Ningyo Unit 51 was the first to arrive at 52's last known position, wordlessly cataloging the destruction of the unit along with visual records and location data for future recovery and salvage. The unit also helpfully noted the intruder was not currently present.

The shipnet took in all this information and adjusted its plans accordingly.

Analysis: Intruder is not likely to have successfully bypassed Ningyo Unit 51. Presume intruder has moved towards outer hull.
  Ningyo unit 53 presently in transit to deck 42 via starboard maintenance access shaft.
  Projection: Search area, based on expected average movement speed and time elapsed since deactivation of Ningyo unit 52.
  Central Passage: Evaluation: Unlikely. Unit present in passage has detected no intruder.
  Starboard Maintenance Access shaft: Evaluation: Unlikely. unit present in starboard maintenance access shaft has detected no intruder.
  Hull breach deck 42-45 starboard side: Evaluation: Possible. Hull breach presents possible route to infiltrate other decks/compartments. Ningyo units 48, 50 in position to intercept
  Dorsal passage: Evaluation: Possible. Ningyo units 29-32, Umigumo unit 07 in position to intercept intrusion of compartment 412c, Ningyo units 61, 62, Umigumo unit 09 enroute to intercept intrusion of compartment 412p from dorsal passage.
  Ventral passage: Evaluation: Possible. Significant damage to ventral hull from frame 41-53 presents possible route to infiltrate other decks/compartments. Ningyo units 29-32, Umigumo unit 07 in position to intercept intrusion of compartment 412c, Ningyo units 63-68 enroute to secure ventral passage from incursion.
  Conclusion: Impossible to determine intruder's most likely route of infiltraton. Parameters of response pattern assigned based on area of greatest tactical vulnerability. Ningyo unit 51, concentrate search pattern on ventral passage. Ningyo unit 53, concentrate search pattern on hull breach deck 42-45 starboard side.

The first set of hatches Jaime reached weren't that far along, and consisted of a pair, one on either side of the corridor. Again, the labels were no help, but Jaime could still guess what he was looking at. Obviously the outboard hatch led further towards the outer hull. The deck, or at least this part of it, was fairly circular, but Jaime could easily recall that the overall shape of the derelict definitely was not. Whatever was on the other side of that hatch; launch bays, weapon placements, or whatever, it was definitely not where he needed to be, and could very well leave him cornered.

The hatch on the opposite side, he assumed, probably led to a corridor leading back towards the center of the deck, like a spoke on a wheel. And while he still figured any survivors of his crew might be hiding out towards the center of the ship, he didn't quite want to head in that direction just yet. So he passed those hatches by and continued on. After maybe another twenty meters down the corridor he found another hatch, but he almost completely missed it as he caught sight of the outer wall of the corridor in his headlamp.

The outer side of the corridor in this section was... deformed. Like it was melted, or fused, or parts of it has been layered over or comingled together with other parts in a way that didn't seem real. It was strangely unsettling just to look at, and if Jaime hadn't had a laser pistol firmly gripped in his hand, he would have probably reached out to touch it. This... deformation ran for maybe as much as five meters of the hull, encompassing even part of the deck and ceiling of the corridor closest to it and tracing what Jaime realized was a disturbingly clean straight line, as though whatever had caused it had just... arbitrarily stopped.

So engrossing was the sight that the faint tremors he felt through his boots was actually startling. Spinning around, he had barely noticed that the hatch  on the other side of the corridor was being opened when something jumped through it towards him. He managed to turn to the side just enough that the girl... android caromed off of him and crashed into of the outer wall instead.

Some of the deformed material on that section of wall crumbled and flaked away at the impact of the android, but Jaime focused on raising and firing his laser pistol. Firing in a rush with his off hand caused the shot to go wide and instead burn a scar across the deformed hullmetal of the wall, some of which broke away in pieces to reveal fused tangles of cabling, conduits, and more hullmetal beneath that.

The android got its bearings quickly and came at him again, this time going for his gun arm. As he twisted to keep the gun out of his grasp he lashed out with a foot, managing to knock it, and himself, off balance. The android sailed merrily into the wall while Jaime toppled over. Instinctively, he reached out his arm to catch himself.

His right arm. The pain seemed to suck the wind out of him and he could almost swear he'd blacked out for maybe a split second. By the time he'd come back to his senses the Android was already back on its feet coming towards him. But Jaime managed to be just a bit faster. This time, the laser bolt burned through the android's right thigh, and the entire leg literally folded up at the hole, causing the machine to drop onto its side next to him.

Jaime managed to scramble back to his feet and back away from the Android. His right arm was absolutely throbbing all the way up to the shoulder, but his right hand had gone numb, and he could only feel a couple of his fingers actually twitching when he willed them to move. But he put those thoughts aside and focused on the Android, who continued to drag itself towards him using its hands. It was only now that Jaime had bothered to really notice what it was wearing, a fairly ordinary blue jumpsuit, and only really notable because the patch on the right shoulder seemed to actually have English characters on it.

This time taking care to aim properly, Jaime put a laser bolt through the android's back, causing it to briefly spasm before going inert. Only then did he step closer to it to get a look at the patch.

The name "Chitose Heavy Industries" didn't really clear anything up, but the patch was velcro'ed on, so he pulled it off and stuffed it into a pocket.

"All right, Jaime boy," he said to himself. "Now what?"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #89 on: 12 June 2023, 17:08:40 »
  Intruder detected, compartment 412s, deck 42, ventral passage. Note: Intruder appears to have sustained damage (right arm: semi-functional to nonfunctional)
  Data feed lost from Ningyo unit 51. Ningyo unit 51 activation signal terminated. Assume unit destruction.
  Projection: Search area, based on expected average movement speed and time elapsed since deactivation of Ningyo unit 51.
  Ventral passage: Evaluation: Highest possibility. Significant damage to ventral hull from frame 41-53 presents possible route to infiltrate other decks/compartments. All units in compartment 412s are to converge on location.
  Conclusion: Possibility remains for intruder to reach breached section of deck 42 ventral passage before units are in position to secure area. Ningyo units 66-68 detach from current operation, move to deck 41 ventral passage to interdict transit to lower deck. Intruder has successfully eliminated two Ningyo class units individually. Solo operation of Ningyo units is prohibited for duration of operation. Ningyo unit 53 to join closest combined unit at time of order dispatch.

Impact registered, starboard dorsal hull, in proximity to frame 48. Evaluation: Consistent with soft landing on the hull by small craft. Presumed boarding operation underway. Work Party Starboard 51 assemble at deck 45 starboard maintenance airlock to locate and engage boarders/secure boarding craft.