Author Topic: Notes on "Strategos" that should be acknowledged  (Read 3736 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Notes on "Strategos" that should be acknowledged
« Reply #30 on: 03 August 2023, 15:53:01 »
Amanda did die, she didn't fake it.   Essentially, Desmond by nature of his design requires human host to be "Whole".  Unfortunately, unless they figured out how to allow him to be a true AI, he's essentially in storage waiting for next host.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #31 on: 03 August 2023, 18:58:42 »
Again, not mine to answer, but I'm sure it's more complex than that.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #32 on: 03 August 2023, 20:07:32 »
the implications i got from the story is that because of how intermixed Amanda and Desmond had gotten, that the resulting AI would be the complete Amanda-Desmond mix. effectively a multiple personality AI. so AI Amanda still has Desmond as her invisible friend, he's just now a subroutine blended into her software instead of her physical wetware.

i suspect the Desmond hardware could have been recovered, and repaired.. but implanting it would just result in the creation of a blank desmond personality.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #33 on: 03 August 2023, 20:14:17 »
I'm not so sure it would be blank... that AI was particularly wily... ;)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 03 August 2023, 21:22:44 »
my “template” question as more to ask was “Desmond” a SLDF SAS soldier, was he just a soldier? spy? was he person before the Desmond 01?

My take on it, was he would have been orginally a long serving member of the a Special Force Unit, with total loyal to House Cameron.  Who has as he been implanted kept take on traits from his hosts.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Marathon

• Recruit
« Reply #35 on: 08 August 2023, 08:12:02 »
Is there better link? Those things are dead links.

Hi Wrangler

Thanks for the update on what could go wrong/2ndAcr.

I see you are archiving - as someone relatively new to these forums, is there a central list of the work that prolific authors (eg. cannonshop, drakensis, others) have produced so readers can read it in order?

Not saying you are responsible for this or anything just thought you or one of the other long-term contributors might know, so I can read it the way it is intended is all.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #36 on: 08 August 2023, 16:23:56 »
Hi Wrangler

Thanks for the update on what could go wrong/2ndAcr.

I see you are archiving - as someone relatively new to these forums, is there a central list of the work that prolific authors (eg. cannonshop, drakensis, others) have produced so readers can read it in order?

Not saying you are responsible for this or anything just thought you or one of the other long-term contributors might know, so I can read it the way it is intended is all.

Sure, there considerable list for their works.  The site I'm archiving stories, like Strategos,  you can go Main Fan Fiction page of the wiki.

This one is for Alternate Universes, I know that sounds weird, but some of the stories are SO BIG they get big page linking their related stories / sourcebooks / custom mech&warships&etc together.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Marathon

• Recruit
« Reply #37 on: 08 August 2023, 16:55:38 »
Cheers much appreciated - will absolutely check these out :smiley_star:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #38 on: 08 August 2023, 19:24:55 »
Welcome to the board, and one more post and you won't have to prove you're human anymore! :)

Marathon

• Recruit
« Reply #39 on: 09 August 2023, 09:26:13 »
I see what you did there  :grin:

I am human!!!!

I think. At least I used to think that until I read Far Country.

*raises comically small umbrella up against incoming BT-hate memes*

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 09 August 2023, 18:31:35 »
You shouldn't see much in the way of hate memes here... the mods are GOOD! :)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #41 on: 09 August 2023, 18:44:38 »
And most of us have a pretty good humor when it comes to Far Country.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 09 August 2023, 19:19:35 »
ALSO true! :D

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 09 August 2023, 20:56:45 »
As someone who used to shop at Peter Rice game store..  there was a plan, that never came into play with that book.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Marathon

• Recruit
« Reply #44 on: 10 August 2023, 11:51:26 »

Yeah it's always a conversation starter at least!

Thanks all for the assistance/welcome  :smiley:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 10 August 2023, 19:21:06 »
Welcome to verification-free posting! :)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #46 on: 12 August 2023, 15:06:58 »
And I finally stopped being such a damned completionist about the mapping project.  Just did the absolute bare minimum to get the systems into MekHQ with ownership.  I did a fair number of things the 'not recommended way' but bleh.

Which means I probably made a few mistakes in addition to leaving things out.

If that really bothers people I do not mind sharing the Google drive link to the generated system data.  It's not hard, just super tedious to convert it to a format MekHQ will understand.

And now for the part everybody has been waiting for:  The MekHQ files!

Warning-Make a backup first if you want to roll back or put in a fresh install!
Also I make no promises that it'll generate contracts, RATs, of be otherwise feature complete with MekHQ but it should be good enough to at least be playable with manual scenario crafting.

If I have done everything right you should be able to just extract to an existing MekHQ install and it'll ask if you want to overwrite/replace.  Say yes.  Enjoy.