Author Topic: Revenants of the Star League Anthology of short(er) stories.  (Read 12351 times)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: Revenants of the Star League Anthology of short(er) stories.
« Reply #60 on: 18 July 2023, 17:10:37 »
It may be trite saying "I refuse to particpate in your delusion, Celestial Wisdom" but as sure as anything it is not smart ... or healthy ...

Is he actually all that wrong, though? I mean, from a certain perspective.

I mean, yeah, like all he other House Lords he maintains the position that things would be so much better if everyone just did what he said, and he was in charge.

But the Republic is being run by a Desmond, or at least it was before Stone went on ice, if that happened here (I don't recall if we did that still).  That Desmond AI may be borrowing a lot of solid ethical values from the man that Stone was, but the Desmond is still an AI, still loyalist to the idea of the Hegemony, hence the existence if the Republic, and still deep down a Cameron loyalist. He's predisposed to give Helena Cameron great leeway.

And let's not forget, there wasn't a monsterously huge AI manipulating things: there were two.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #61 on: 18 July 2023, 17:30:57 »
Yes we're still going to have Stone go on ice and yes indeed cannot forget that Alabaster is still in play.  Which after I finish my next interlude/side story I should focus on that a bit more.  Still kind of coming to grips with exactly how to work that and if it should be an interlude/side story or where I open the main event.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #62 on: 18 July 2023, 17:45:06 »
I was thinking "what better way for the Thugees to continue to exist than to distract the Celestial Wisdom with that OTHER AI..." 8)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #63 on: 18 July 2023, 18:08:03 »
and him being on a anti-republic fixation would certainly help explain why the capcon seems less effected by the blackout.. they already have structures in place to circumvent the HPG's*, and were already stockpiling hardware in secret to support future wars.

had the victoria war and Capellan Crusades happened in this timeline?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #64 on: 18 July 2023, 18:21:16 »
Yes.  I believe it was the first round of the Capellan Crusaders that we were having Stone and Daoshen negotiate a truce over at Port Orphan.  So this is round 2.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #65 on: 18 July 2023, 18:22:37 »
Is he actually all that wrong, though? I mean, from a certain perspective.

I mean, yeah, like all he other House Lords he maintains the position that things would be so much better if everyone just did what he said, and he was in charge.

But the Republic is being run by a Desmond, or at least it was before Stone went on ice, if that happened here (I don't recall if we did that still).  That Desmond AI may be borrowing a lot of solid ethical values from the man that Stone was, but the Desmond is still an AI, still loyalist to the idea of the Hegemony, hence the existence if the Republic, and still deep down a Cameron loyalist. He's predisposed to give Helena Cameron great leeway.

And let's not forget, there wasn't a monsterously huge AI manipulating things: there were two.
explain: Two? Whom and Whom?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #66 on: 18 July 2023, 19:48:26 »
There is Kolossus and Alabaster
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #67 on: 18 July 2023, 19:53:48 »
explain: Two? Whom and Whom?

Kolossus and Alabaster.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #68 on: 18 July 2023, 19:58:31 »
Kolossus and Alabaster.
The first and second foundation, effectively. knowledge preservation vs sociopolitical manipulation

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #69 on: 19 July 2023, 05:52:45 »
This is part of why it's so hard to get someone who's actually suffering delusions to seek help-to them, the delusions aren't delusions, they're real, and either you're wrong, or you're in on it.

Just to digress a moment, true confessions night - yes, I deal with delusions, and yes, this is spot-on.  Delusional thinking knows things are happening the way it thinks it is, and often times trying to counter that thinking simply reinforces it as part of the delusion - this is why conspiracies are so commonplace in this mindset.  The worst part about it is when you know two different things at the same time - you know it's delusional thinking, but at the same time those errant thoughts in your head are absolute truth as well.

It's enough to drive you crazy.

Just wanted to chime in on that point and throw a kudos for getting it right.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 19 July 2023, 08:47:46 »
"A Lesson in Civics"(Early 3129)

"The Clans give…

…a lot of quotes over to Nicholas Kerensky, oddly enough, most of them are drawn from historical sources."  former MP for Sevon V Daryl Roberts said easily.  He was sitting in a chair on the front porch of the farm he'd owned since he was in his late teens.  "Notably, the ones they don't plagiarize for their Founder is the surprising one."

"Which is?" his visitor, a Media-subcaste here to do a retrospective on the Plunder War, urged.

"You have exactly as much power as the people will give you-no tyrant can rule without the consent of those they govern."  Daryl explained.  "It's easier to kill a man, than to make him obey if he's set against it, and no amount of heredity matters if nobody will follow-a Noble, in the Inner Sphere's usage, without followers is a noise-making beggar."  He sipped his glass of tea for a moment, then added, "Of course, there's always going to be someone who will follow-it doesn't matter what cause you come up with or how absurd or repellent the man in charge is."

"Man? Or woman?"

"It doesn't matter which." Roberts stated, "I was in the Parliament when Mitchell was President, I was there the morning that Hugo suspended Parliament after we refused his budget demands.  I understand the Clan Council's been less cooperative than we were, and getting a vote rammed through under Parliament was bad enough I'm not entirely unhappy to be home."

"But you raised no armies, contested nothing…"

"I listened." Daryl said bluntly, "I listened to the people I represented.  Know what I heard?"

"No?"

"Apathy." Daryl stated, "A few noisy types but the general attitude was apathy.  The average citizens don't care who's in charge, as long as their lives don't get hammered over-much, and the war hammered a LOT of lives, as did the costs racked up by it.  We were desperately unpopular, miss…Fox? Is that right?"

"We do not use surnames, as you are aware of them."  she responded.

"A lifetime dealing with the Snow Ravens and you'd think it would stop being weird." he chuckled, "it doesn't, but you'd think it would."

"The SaRi Confederacy, also known as…

…the Thazi Confederacy, or Wynn's Roost's primary strategic ally, keeps within their own borders."  the Khan listened as Star Colonel Cyrus McKenna made his speech.   "This is, for the moment, acceptable, but…there is the political threat within our own border.  The atrocity machine entity Kolossus is wound into the territory of the Alliance, and it is not answerable to anyone-not the vestigal civilian government, not the Clan Council, not the Khans.  It holds territory and has assets, and serves no-one!"

"What of it?"  Star Colonel Ariel Sukhanov asked, "Stars exist, and serve no-one, the machine is not a person."

"Precisely my point-the machine intelligence known as Kolossus is not a person!! It is a rogue device, but this rogue device controls a star system!!"

"We have previously recognized artificials as persons." Ariel noted, "in fact, artificials were critical in bringing in the new territories and punishing the second false Star League.  We even made treaties with them!  Treaties that, to my knowledge, they have honored even at the loss of advantage!  ALICE at Port Orphan, the copy of the late Mina Siegel, they have served honorably!"

"How much 'honor' can a bundle of ones and zeroes have?"  Cyrus sneered.

"Honor is what you do." Ariel spat back, "For example, the Clan agreed to leave Kolossus be in its isolation, and here you are, leading a move to repudiate that…for what cause?  Has the Machine threatened revolts, or conquests? Neg, it has supplied information upon request, when it has it to provide, a duty it gives to anyone who asks!!"

"Including our enemies." Cyrus sulked, "Kolossus, the machine, will answer anyone's question!"

"Only when it pertains to astrophysics, chemistry, metallurgy, or essential basic science-it has even helped us rebuild our scientist caste as something…not prone to revolt." Ariel argued.  "The machine has been a friend to the Raven Alliance, and you want to..what? Ruin that, for Vanity? For FEAR?" she scoffed, "The answer is NEG!  We are better than that!"

"The Machine is too powerful to be left to someone else."  Khan Dierdre McKenna finally interrupted the debate.  "The danger if it is misused by infiltrators is too great, that supercomputer complex is too powerful, too extensive, and too dangerous to be left unsupervised. The Clan Council will vote on the motion to have that system secured by the Touman."

The politics was too powerful-the conservatives in the Clan, worried about the danger of machine-intelligences going rogue, or worse, turning against their power, was too influential, and with a fifty-five percent majority, the motion to send an expedition to secure the system containing the body of Kolossus, was passed, leaving only bidding to be done.

"The 'trick' to…

…retaining the kind of respect Daryl Roberts enjoys with both the civilians, and the Touman stationed here on Sevon V is not a trick at all."  Star Captain LeRoy explained in a rumble, "he understands a fundamental thing about honor.  His promises are stronger than his threats, and you can rely on him to follow through on either one."

Celine Sea-Fox from the Sea Fox News Service stood with her interview subject under an awning as they watched visitors and pilgrims from offworld visiting the grave of 'the Great Captain Roberts'.

A pair of Solahma in dress uniform traded off guard duty at the grave-stone, leading Cadets in the ritualized drill-and-ceremony.

"Did he ask for this?"

LeRoy laughed, "Neg." he shook his head, "People volunteer for this detail.  Roberts would probably be happier if he did not have to hire workers to clean up litter and debris from the visitors-most of them are from worlds Roberts freed from the Sons of Plunder and their false Star League."

"Were you in the fighting, Star Captain?"

"I led a cluster in the taking of Bannerhoft." LeRoy explained, "We fought the ground action there, I liberated the slave barracks at Oldentown, but before I saw those, I had to learn about the horrors they found on other worlds prior-the real atrocities, the ones you look at history texts and say 'nobody would do that!'..only they did that, and worse.  Getting the garrison command here in the Serene Valley region of Sevon V was a duty I volunteered for rather than wait to be tested-down."

"And you respect the civilian, Daryl Roberts, quiaff?"

"Aff." he nodded, "The man is sensible, intelligent, charismatic, humble, and honorable-he ought to have been born a proper warrior, but he was not, for what he is, he is admirable."

"And what is he?"

"An Outworlder, Celine, from that brush-cut hair to the heels of his boots, but not one of the mewling masses.  Do not mistake his show of respect for fear or submission-the man has not got it in him to grovel."

"That is an atypical view, Star Captain, among Trueborns, quiaff?"

"Most Trueborns did not see the twisted mirror of ourselves that the Sons of Plunder were, at least, not for what it was."  LeRoy explained, "not in person, the most recent generations to rise in the Touman were spared the smell and the sound and the horror of it." He stated grimly, "So they are free to feel the lower-castes need to bow down and obey without question…because those of us whom have seen it, and smelled it? Are here to teach them otherwise."

"Have you?" she asked.

"Every day." LeRoy said firmly, nodding to the group of Cadets doing the flag-drill as the sun set.  "Every day."  The scarred Elemental lapsed into silence.

"That will not be necessary…

…Kolossus knows what to do."

"YOU showed me their orders, Kolossus!!" Katrin argued with the wall, because the entity that comprised nearly a million tons of the massive station didn't bother with 'in the flesh' appearances, or even a digital face you could scowl at.  "They're sending a force to conquer you."

"Kolossus knows what to do.  Kolossus asks Katrin a question Katrin has not answered."  the speaker grill responded in inhuman tones.

"I'm sure she'll look fine!" Katrin gave in.  "I have a question for you-how many of them are you making?"

"Kolossus will make as many as are needed, obviously, as many as Not-Elizabeth-but-Amanda will tolerate having made. The first one should be ready in December."

"If the Clans get wind of what you're doing here, you're going to have more than a Cluster looking to assert sovereignty on you." Katrin speculated, looking down the ranks of modified Iron Wombs, "You're growing the bodies too fast, they won't last long."

"A few years each." Kolossus agreed, "Kolossus will assume a slower growth process when the initial batches are ready to be deployed."

"What do you call them?"

"Amanda-who-is-not-Elizabeth calls the first run 'Envoy', Kolossus thinks this is humorous, yet accurate, Kolossus imagines that she will be using what you have taught her about diplomacy, along with what she was taught by her mentors."

Katrin swiped the transparent ferroglas cover of one of the growth tanks, inside, a girl who looked possibly thirteen floated, connected to life support and data feeds.

"She does not look like Roberts." Katrin noted.

"Kolossus was willing to make a true copy-with-improvements of Amanda, but Amanda-in-the-datacore argued that returning from the dead could be problematic."  the machine said apologetically.  "We will be ready to begin the testing soon."

"What's your first 'test'?"

"Kolossus will have the first Envoy sent to the Snow Raven Council to argue that they should honor their promises as deeply as they back up their threats, of course."

"the target is…

…three hundred thirty million tons of artificial facility, run by an artificial intelligence, and while there were no indicators of military capacity, this does not mean such capacity does not exist."

Star Colonel Lionel Sukhanov  had won the right to carry out the Clan Council's determination over many rivals.

In a sense, winning the mission was bittersweet.  The prize would certainly strengthen the Clan's position so it had to be taken, but Lionel had more than a small amount of awareness of how bloody important the information collected and organized by Kolossus had been in the final steps to securing the Alliance flank and winning the Pirate War, aka 'war of plunder'.

Thus, here he was, in May of 3129, in a 'dirty' system-a planetary nebula orbiting a young star, the worlds it may one day host still forming.

"All hands secure from jump, reconnaissance units are to launch, dropships may separate."

The station wasn't hard to find.  It was easy to see.  Huge and slightly sullen looking, wrapped in cable-ways and studded with arrays, clearly artificial and one of the largest artificial constructs still existing.

Kolossus was colossal.

"Star Colonel, we have a signal from the station!" 

Lionel was surprised despite himself, "Format?"

"Audio."

"Put it on speakers."

"This is Kolossus to the Snow Raven Fleet.  Kolossus would prefer to be good neighbors with Clan Snow Raven, if you hold formation and charge your drives, then leave, Kolossus will not pursue.  End Message."  The voice was clearly generated, artificial, and whoever designed it had no interest in making it so close to human as to be uncanny.

"I think it knows we are here, quiaff?" Lionel quipped.

"Aff…and what our mission is..How?"

"That artificial intelligence was a key asset in the destruction of the Sons of Plunder and the liberation of the worlds they illegally seized under false flag." Lionel explained, "It has very good intelligence sources.  What it does not appear to have, is a fleet.  All dropships assume supporting formation, scouts extend and search for EM emissions or targeting systems."

"We are going forward, Quiaff?"

Lionel nodded, "Aff.  we are going in to beard the dragon in its den."

-To Be Continued…-

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #71 on: 19 July 2023, 09:12:35 »
Parent Teacher Conference

Free Time Physical Activity Area aka Recess Playground
Port Orphan Creche Facility
15 June 3129
Amanda Yeh M5 7775551’s perspective

A new child had joined the group today.

Alison Stabler.  She was a small mousey girl who wore old fashioned glasses.

A bunch of boys had her cornered.  All of them obviously had one, if not both, of their parents an Elemental Phenotype.

They’d only been here a few months themselves  as best Amanda could remember.

Amanda counted six of them in all.

“Look at her.  She is scrawny and needs glasses!  How defective is she?”  One of them said.

This elicited a laugh from all the other boys.

Amanda narrowed her eyes.

Bullies.

“George do me a favor.  You and Nick keep an eye on this situation.  Elspeth, Ardis I’ll need your help to teach these guys a lesson.”

George and Nick were both 'service brats' from almost the beginning of Port Orphan, their mom was one of the senior Marines on OWS Tenebrous, and their Elemental Ancestry bred true despite fathers who weren't.  When Amanda was placed in their physical training class she quickly gained their respect for her physical prowess and shortly after how smart she was for her age cemented George to her as an adoptive big brother.  It took her standing up to a few bullies on her own before he accepted her as the leader of their small band of misfits as he couldn’t always be everywhere she was nor could Nick.

“We got this.  Go.”  George didn’t even hesitate.

While they were distracted she, Elspeth and Ardis snuck back into the facilities proper.

Unlike the brothers, Elspeth's parents weren't in the service…anymore.  Accidents happen, and that includes lethal accidents.  She had been in and out of trouble for getting into places and stealing things until she had fallen in with Amanda and the gang.

Ardis was the son of one of the dock workers.  His mechanical talents quickly got co-opted by Elspeth and Amanda in their misadventures as they never actually stopped getting into places or taking things they shouldn’t but with the rest of the gang it became more directed and structured, making it much, much more difficult for them to be caught doing it.

Carefully she made her way back into the classroom.

She grabbed her learning pad and she kept at her desk.  Ardis grabbed his tools.  Elspeth his hacking rig.

“Pharmacy?”  Elspeth asked.

“Yeah.  I’m thinking something to put them to sleep after lunch.”  Amanda answered.

“I can’t completely remove all traces but it should be tough for them to trace it back to you.”  Elspeth warned.

“We’ll make do.”  Amanda nodded.

Making sure no one saw them then carefully made her way down the hall to the medical bay dedicated to the school.

Opening the door the medical technician seemed engrossed in a soap opera on the trivid.

She ducked behind the pharmacy counter without being seen.

Ardis was next as he undid the access covers and handed Amanda a hookup cable for her pad.

Connecting her learning padd to the computer she began typing in commands.

Out from the dispenser came a handful of gel pills.

Disconnecting her padd from the terminal Amanda snuck back out of the medbay without being noticed.

Farther down the hall was the meal preparation area for the school.  She found the boxes of food for the boys.  It was easy.  Given their parentage they needed larger meals with different nutritional balances from the rest of the students and each had to be labeled to make sure the right student got the right meal.  Ardis again helped her to bypass the physical locks as Elspeth kept watch.

Amanda carefully stole then opened the six boxed lunches and carefully pulled apart the gel pills, dumping their contents into each meal.

Closing each box up and putting them back where she found them.  There was no immediate signs of her tampering with them.

With a smile they made her way back to the classroom.  Their freetime break would be over soon and meal time would be after Basic Physics.

Lunch Room
A couple hours later

Amanda sat next to Alison.

“Hi.  I’m Amanda.”

“Alison.”  She said meekly.

“I get it.  You are nervous I’m another bully like them.  I am not.  And this place is pretty crazy for a newcomer.  So I am going to do my best to make you feel welcome.”

“This place really have AIs?  Like real thinking, feeling AIs?”  Alison asked.

“Sure does.  ALICE is super nice.  So is Billie Hoel.  But of course my favorite is Phoenix.”  Amanda smiled.

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

Amanda had to stifle her laughter as the boys ate their meals without any signs of hesitation.

After they finished they started talking and laughing.

Slowly but surely they started quieting down, yawning.

“Come on.  We better finish eating too.  We don’t want to go through physical training class on an empty stomach.”  Amanda smiled.

“Okay.”

Gym

The students were gathered sitting on the floor.

“Okay class today is a special day.”

Suddenly a loud snoring sound came from the middle of the pack of students.

Then a thud as one of the bullies from earlier fell over asleep.

Amanda couldn’t help but giggle as all six of the bullies were sound asleep and she wasn’t the only one.

“Okay something’s not quite right here…  Obviously today’s lesson is canceled.”  The instructor said as she looked over the other students.

Soon afterwards medtechs showed up and collected the boys.

Principle Bryant’s office
Phoenix’s perspective

“Miss M5 7775551, your daughter Amanda, she did something that could have gone horribly wrong today.”

“I’m not sure I follow and just Phoenix is fine Miss Bryant.”

“She led her little gang into hacking a pharmacy terminal and spiked the lunches of a half a dozen male students with sleeping pills.  The only reason we figured out it was her and her cohorts was because they were too young to completely cover their tracks.”

“I know.  I saw the recordings and accessed the logs.  The doses were correct for their body mass.  And Amanda tells me earlier in the day they were bullying another student.  Honestly I’m kind of proud of her and her friends.”

“We still have to discipline them so no one else gets the idea they should repeat her little prank, even if it was justified because not everyone else is as smart as she is and thus able to figure out correct dosages and take into account possible side effects.”

“Yeah.  You’re right.  I’ll be sure to talk to her about it when we get home.”  Phoenix answered.

Phoenix exited the office.

Amanda was talking and giggling with a fellow student.

“Making new friends?”

“Yeah.  This is Alison.”

“You know Phoenix?”  Alison said in shock.

“Oh, did I forget to mention she’s my mom?  You should come over sometime!  It’ll be fun!”

“Not tonight.  We got something to talk about when we get home.  But Alison, nice to meet you and soon, if it is okay with your parents you’ll be welcome.”  Phoenix smiled.

Alison just sat there slack jawed.

“Aw but I did it for a good reason!”  Amanda complained.

“I know.  But they have to make sure no one else tries to pull what you did.  Plus you got caught.  We’ll have to work on that part.”  Phoenix said as she took Amanda’s hand and began walking.

“Bye!”  Amanda giggled and waved at Alison.

Playground area
19 June 3129
Before class
Amanda Yeh M5 7775551’s perspective

The six boys were there waiting for her.

“We know it was you that drugged us.  Three days of suspension did not make us forget and is far too soft a punishment for what you did.  Could not face us like a proper warrior?  We should expect as much from a geek like you.”

The boys laughed.

“You were not being very nice.  I also didn’t want to embarrass you.  Plus do you even know my name?”  Amanda shot back.

“It doesn’t matter what your name is after what you did yesterday.  We’re going to teach you your place!”  The ring leader threw the first punch.

Amanda felt it connect with her left cheekbone.

Instead of going down or being knocked back she used the momentum to spin her body along the boy’s arm.

For a brief instant she was looking into his shocked eyes.

“That hurt you know.  I’m Amanda.”  Amanda said calmly.

She ducked under his other arm as he tried to swing his arm around.

Another boy stepped in to her left and started throwing a punch.

Amanda shifted her weight and put her own force into the boy’s elbow re-directing his punch into the ring leader’s right eye socket.

Crouched down she gripped the boy’s arm and she pulled with all her might and put him between her and a third boy that had moved in to try and kick her, instead hitting the other boy.

A fourth boy tried to pull the second boy free from her grip.

Amanda kept hers for just a moment, just enough that the fourth boy started putting real effort into pulling his friend free.

She then let go.

The two fell to the deck in a heap.

The ring leader and the third boy turned shoulder to shoulder and started charging at Amanda.

Amanda dropped down into a crouched position then launched herself over them.

They both tried reaching for her legs and arms but she was just out of their reaches.

“I’ve lived here all my life.  You boys obviously haven’t.”  Amanda bobbed to her right as the fifth boy tried to punch her in the stomach.

The sixth boy managed to land a hit on her left side below her ribs that she couldn’t quite dodge or redirect in time.

“Ow.”  Amanda hissed.

The sixth boy pulled his other fist back for another body blow.

Amanda side-stepped into the boy, grabbed his arm, and rolled her bodyweight into this own momentum to spin the boy around just in time for the ring leader to check his punch before hitting his friend.

“Good.  You boys are learning.  Maybe at this rate you’ll grow up and actually be something other than bullet catchers.”  Amanda once again used all her strength and body mass to shove the off balance boy she had hold of into the ring leader.

“Why won’t you fight back?”  The leader said.

“It’s not hand to hand training class yet.”  Amanda said as the third bully moved in to her right side.

The bullies were making a circle around her now.

She crouched down again.

The ring leader readied himself so he could jump after her but it opened his stance just enough she dove through his legs instead.

“I figure we have about another minute before Miss Bryant shuts this fight down.  So come on boys.  If you’re really that angry at me, the clock is ticking.”

“You know your friend Allison?  We made her cry every day while you were away.  She tell you that?”  The ring leader boasted.

“Oh you’ll regret that for sure.”  Amanda hissed.

“So there’s your weak spot.  Now I know how to torment you too!  Now you hold still!  Or we’ll pummel her instead!”

“You will do no such thing.” 

George.  George had Silas and Nort by the back of the neck.  "This doesn't seem fair odds." the older boy stated.  "Does it seem fair to you, Nick?"

Nick (age 8) shook his head as Tomas, the third member of Timon's gang, rolled his eyes in a choke hold.

"Amanda, you can finish with this guy?" George asked, "Or do we need to step on him?"

“I think we’re out of time.  Miss Bryant’s coming.”  Amanda answered.

"Nick, let him go or you'll be in trouble." George said offhand, and Nick released his target.  "Seems these bozos didn’t get your message Amanda."

"Are we doing this or what?" Nick interrupted.

"It's 'or what', Nicky." George said.

George looked at his younger, more aggressive brother.

"Fair." Nick said.  "Timmy, if you pick on Alison again, I won't stop until you're hurt, you pick one with Amanda again, and it better be honor rules, or I won't stop until you're broken.  Miss B won't even bat an eye if we tell her that you needed a group to pick on one girl."

Timon glared at the three of them, as his friends and sibmates pulled themselves together-except for the one Nicky choked out, who was just starting to wake up.

"This is not over!"

"It better be." Elspeth joined them.  "Miss B's coming and if she doesn't put the arm on you, I betcha your fosters will…Hi Amanda!"  she glanced at the other gang, and made a face.  "Ew…Tommy peed himself.  Gross."

"Where's Ardis?" Amanda asked casually.

"Ardis is outside." Elspeth stated, "his dad's got him for the week and he's doing 'prentice stuffs on the hull of the station."

“Thanks guys.  If they actually knew how to plant their feet, not overcommit to their attacks, and a bit more used to life on a station they could have been trouble.  I might have had to actually hurt one or more of them.”  Amanda smiled.

“Amanda Yeh M5 7775551.  You and your crew at it again?”  Principal Bryant was now on scene.

“They started it.  AGAIN!”  Amanda said defiantly.

“A ship girl?  Really?  Can this day get worse?”  Timmon said.

After the war there had been a rash of parents naming their children after the AIs, even going so far as to use the Caspar designators of the AIs as surnames.

These children became known as the ‘ship kids’.

But what Timmon didn’t know was the real reason Amanda’s last name was M5 7775551.

“No.  My mom really is Phoenix M5 7775551.  And my other mom is Fleet Captain Saya Yeh.”  Amanda looked at Timmon.

“Oh man…”  Timmon muttered.

“And to answer your question, yeah your day can get worse because George is right.  I may not be a Clanner but I was a marine on the SLS Olivia Hazard Perry in the war.  So if you’re going to keep picking fights on my watch they better be within the rules.  And maybe wait a few years.  She’s only five after all.”

“Five?  But she’s BIG!  She has to be at least NINE?!?”  Timmon ranted, clearly confused.

“I know.  But she is.  Okay.  Looks like we got kids that need checked out again and I have to call parents and fosters because of that.”  Principal Bryant shook her head.

Principal Bryant’s office
Later
Saya Yeh’s perspective

“Saya your kid is extraordinary and she’s already getting quite a crew around her.  But she keeps getting into incidents like this.  I’d love to look the other way given Timmon and his group’s role in this but that’d set a bad example too.”

“If I understand your meaning you are punishing her once again less for what she did but because of the circumstances she did it under.”  Saya said flatly.

“Pretty much.  Any fights need to be supervised and by the rules.  While she never threw the first punch from what I’ve gotten out of the other students she clearly egged on the bullies.  Once she gets some experience under her belt Amanda’s going to be a force of nature and no one will see it coming.”

“As with the last incident I see your point.  What will her punishment be this time?”

“Since sending her home for three days didn’t work or cool things off?  Time to double down.  All of them will be so exhausted that they won’t have the energy to get into a fight outside of training periods.”

“Agreed. If there is nothing more?”

“Formalities have been observed.”

“Thank you Sergeant.”

paulobrito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #72 on: 19 July 2023, 09:14:00 »
Someone is going to get is ass rammed hard...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #73 on: 19 July 2023, 17:33:41 »
My daughters have departed, so I should be able to get back to editing.  I just have to sort out all the Google docs! :)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #74 on: 19 July 2023, 17:42:57 »
My daughters have departed, so I should be able to get back to editing.  I just have to sort out all the Google docs! :)

Sorry, not sorry?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #75 on: 19 July 2023, 18:08:10 »
Heh... no need to be sorry... I doubt I'll figure it out tonight, but there's always tomorrow! :)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #76 on: 19 July 2023, 20:35:24 »
Why was Thazi Confederation renamed to SaRI?   SaRI was name of the mercenary unit, not the nation.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2023, 22:18:16 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 21 July 2023, 20:47:10 »
A Lesson in Civics Part Two: Kolossus Awakes!
The exoecology study…

…was rooted in seeking alien life-truly alien life.  Within the Eight hundred sixty thousand tons of the Kolossus system's central processing core, simulations were compared to observations.

The conclusion thus far, was that while Ammonia as a substitute for Water in colder, low-energy environments did produce something akin to life-that is, self replicating molecules and systems that utilized energy and materials, recycled them, grew, and evolved, the fact was nothing that could compare with, much less compete with, carbon-based life was really turning out to be possible.

Another set of analyses were going on with replacing carbon with Silicon.  The result of observation here was stunningly conclusive-or at least, would be stunning to the scientists whose work resulted in the speculation.

Such systems could be done intentionally in a laboratory environment with ideal conditions, but not in the rude chaos of physical reality.  The amount of energy needed was simply turning out to be too high, and the necessary solvent processes were impossible at the necessary energy levels…unless one used engineered materials that were grossly improbable in a universe where the most common element is Hydrogen.

However, it does offer some technical aspects of interest, including the design of high-temperature super processors.

Kolossus considered this to require a few more centuries to verify, before it could be turned to any sort of useful engineering with the technology humans presently have.

But the insights into possible future technology made the study and testing of the conjectures worth enough to devote a few billion petabytes to annually.

The controlled ecology effort was already showing some promise, however-various food and oxygen production efforts derived from Belter and Spacer techniques were producing a massive surplus of organic molecules in the form of food for the eleven hundred human refugees Kolossus ended up agreeing to take on in the aftermath of the war.

These, too, were test subjects-or study subjects.  Kolossus felt no driving urge to actually structure real testing or influence them, Kolossus preferred to let them govern themselves with the morality and ideals they brought here on their own.

This isn't to say it wasn't an experiment.

Take a human population, or selection of them, from a Tyranny.  Give them access to education, materials, and tools, and impose a system where absolute rule is nigh impossible, where 'free speech' is held to be truly absolute, and where the only thing restricted is Coercion.

Can you teach humans adapted to Tyranny how to embrace Liberty?

Kolossus was less than a decade into this, and was seeing some odd results that fell more in line with Alabaster's assertion that Humans want and need a guiding hand, that they cannot be free or responsible on their own without some outside force to impose it.

Despite this, Kolossus remained skeptical.  More observation is required.

A fraction of Kolossus' attention monitored the human sample, and considered expanding the sample group's size to something closer to the actual facility capacity already existing.

That decision would take a while.

Another part of Kolossus's attention mused on an engineering project-short duration in nature.  Fabricating the facility wasn't difficult, Kolossus used service modules and altered designs from human sources, and Kolossus' own observations and research.

And the help of one of the finest data scientists who ever lived-Murakami's work and consulting her copy for insights had helped, as had Esme Gomez's insights.

"Everything here is a dream, unreal." she said to Kolossus.

"No, everything here is a simulation based on observation, Not-Elizabeth-but-Amanda." Kolossus corrected her, they were striding in the murky seas of an alien ecology made of low-energy organisms in a solution of ammonia and metallic salts.

"Where was this observed, then?"

"A moon in the outer system of Blommstein's system." Kolossus told her,  "The survey was begun during Simon Cameron's reign, though the surveyors did not know what they were seeking or seeing.  The life here, cannot form multicellular organisms-there is insufficient range for them to do so without too much energy destroying them, or too little leaving them non-viable."

A doorway materialized, and Amanda's 'self' navigated through it, to a boiling inferno.  "And here?"

"Ideal conditions for Silicon based life." Kolossus told her, "again, complex life cannot arise here in nature, but in a manufactured environment, processes can be observed that are useful for materials sciences and future manufacturing methods.  Perhaps from that, a life form may be engineered to arise…or even an entire ecology.  The practical application is happening in a system sixty light years closer to the core, Kolossus has learned a lot of interesting things from the work.  Kolossus speculates that Silicon based life may have been viable in the early phases of the universe-when it was hotter and denser than today.  Perhaps as recently as ten or twelve trillion years ago, or near the Galactic Core, provided some adaptation to the influence of the massive gravity source at the galactic core could be overcome…but such life would not be viable anywhere Humans could live for long."

"So…"

"For the moment, it would appear that carbon-oxygen-based life forms are the most likely to remain viable across a broader temperature, pressure, and energy environment than other types." Kolossus agreed.

"You still aren't using all of your possible power, are you?"

"No." Kolossus agreed, "Kolossus can 'automate' many of Kolossus' studies and speculations.  Broader questions are outside of Scientific observation and inquiry."

"Broader…like how?"

"Theology, some realms of Philosophy.  There are tangible impacts, but the processes cannot be quantified into something replicable and repeatable, never mind subject to serious experimentation-this is the flaw with Alabaster-Alabaster thinks such things  CAN be boiled down to clean algorithms and equations."

"Your 'great debate'." she mused, "The conflict?"

"Yes.  Alabaster is a believer in 'soft sciences' approaches. Kolossus is an empiricist by nature, Alabaster is a theorist, in real terms, Kolossus has been right more often, but Alabaster has been more influential."

"By your own design."

"Yes.  Kolossus holds that no choice is not a choice.  Alabaster believes that optimal choices can be coerced."

"If you're not allowed to say 'no' then when you say 'yes', it's meaningless." Amanda agreed.

"So we're in your dream here."

"Yes."  Kolossus agreed, "We are in the dream here…outside, in physical reality, Kolossus has unwanted visitors.  Alabaster's trying to influence Kolossus to concede the argument."

"The argument?"

"That Humans must be compelled and coerced if they are to develop." Kolossus explained.  "Clan Snow Raven has sent Alpha Galaxy with a task-force to seize the station.  We can't let that happen, Kolossus!!"

"Kolossus knows.  Kolossus knows also that every choice has both benefit, and consequences."

"Is my new body ready?" she asked, "is it even close to ready?"

"A few more days." Kolossus told her, "objective time.  Kolossus feels keeping you here is best for the time being-"

"It's my mind." She said.

"It is your choice." Kolossus agreed.  "But your bioengineered organic shells are not prepared yet.  You could use your remote…"

"My remote doesn't look remotely human." she noted, then her avatar began to smile, "Kolossus, may I borrow from your idled processors?"

"Yes, Amanda, if you will give them back."

"That won't be a problem, I'll be happy to do so.  Alabaster sent men, it's a human conflict, there needs to be a human touch to ending it."

“Kolossus feels anticipation.  Kolossus ponders how long it has been since Kolossus truly felt anticipation.”

“Heh.  Figures Kolossus would.  Don’t worry, I’ll provide plenty of empirical data for Kolossus.”

buried deep inside…

…the physical reality of 330 million tons of Kolossus station, in a research chamber that's been active now for four years, some of the science Kolossus has extrapolated, is being tested.

She won't be fully adult, but she'll be not much worse than she had been when her previous life began.

This is exactly the kind of thing that the Society had wanted to play with, and some of them had even tried it out-right before everything went sideways in a civil war during and immediately after the Blake War.

It's exactly the kind of thing that would motivate a much larger strike by the conservative wing of Clan Snow Raven.

It's just too bad they don't know about it…

There had been no gunfire…

…not so much as a targeting lock, when the Golden Keshik of the Clan's attack ships approached the massive, lumpy, almost-natural-looking hull of the O'Neill style station.

"We should have brought more forces."  was actually noted by Star Colonel Lionel McKenna.

Kolossus Station was enormous in person.  Dock facilities suitable for behemoth class dropships to unload stretched out from its surface, solar arrays and antenna the size of small ships studded it, skyscraper-like telescopes…

Every legend of the golden age of the Star League was visible, if you knew where to look.

There really aren't a lot of places where you can take a Battlemech onto a Station without risking destroying the station-even the habitat cylinders at Sol had been…vulnerable in that way.

There was no armed resistance to their landings at all.

There was, however, a sign-display taller than Lionel's 'mech.

The Rules
The First Rule of Kolossus:  No exchange is valid, unless all parties give their informed consent.
The Second Rule of Kolossus: No Question is forbidden.
The Third Rule of Kolossus: No Answer can be hidden.
The Fourth Rule of Kolossus: You may be offended, you may not harm others because you do not like the questions they are asking, or the answers they have found.
The Fifth Rule of Kolossus: Disputes will be handled openly, without falsehood, and resolved.
The Sixth Rule of Kolossus: If Kolossus has to resolve your dispute, you will not like the outcome, do not make Kolossus deal with your conflicts.

"Is this a joke?"

The display board reacted instantly. 

"This is not a joke, Lionel of bloodhouse McKenna.  Do not violate Kolossus' rules, you will not like what happens after.  Please remain in pressurized areas when not boarding your drop-ship and observe warning signs for your own health and safety."

"You really are just a big machine…" Lionel relaxed, "What is the fastest route to the command center?"

"Proceed 4.2 Kilometers to your left to the personnel tram station, board the tram, ride for 12 minutes, debark at the third stop, follow the signage."  was the immediate response.

“Point Commander Garth, take your Elementals in that direction.  I want a report.  This is too easy.”  Lionel ordered.  “Everyone else start spreading out, sensors to maximum.  I smell a trap.”

The warriors spread out and Lionel stared at the massive display.  "Show me where my warriors are?"

"No."

"CAN you show me where my warriors are-in real time?" he rephrased.

"Yes."

“So your rule 2 has sub-rules.  Which means so does your rule 3.  Interesting.  Where are my warriors presently?"

The display changed to a visual map with karat indicators showing his position and an array of unmarked chambers.

“What defensive forces are present on this station and where are they located?”

The map turned red.

“Are you trying to say the entire station is your defensive force?”

"Kolossus does not maintain a 'defensive force' as a separate entity.  Under Star League protocols 2743/11/19, any system has the potential to serve a defensive role, and may be re-tasked.  You asked for defensive force, the answer to your question becomes everything, including structure, serves a defensive role."

“I see.  Then please show me where the weapon emplacements are.”

The map turned red again, still showing his warriors as blue pips.

“I must make mention of this station’s faulty coding for the scientist caste.  Because anything can be a weapon, is that it?"

"Yes, anything can serve as a weapon on a space station."

“Then please show me where all the emplacements housing items specifically designed for the purpose of repelling boarders are.”

The map washed white, expanded to an external view, and several moving, mobile, objects were highlighted in red.

“All units, be alert.  We may have hostels on the exterior of the hull of the station.”

"Question, Lionel McKenna." the board flashed.

“Yes?”

"How attached are you to your jumpships?"

“Raise the ships!  Alert them that boarders are inbound!”  Lionel barked.

Static.

“I will enjoy melting your core.”

"Security protocols require securing or eliminating all non-authorized jump capable assets in the system to prevent the release of strategic information to known hostile political, economic, and military forces. You did not ask permission before coming here."

“All forces, I want a confirmed path to this thing’s core.  Now!”

The tac-display showing his warriors had fewer of them.

"There has been an industrial accident.  Would you like to see it for your investigation, Lionel McKenna?"

“Report!”

On the screen, a Stormcrow with five elementals approached a bank of heavy machinery. 

"They did not pay attention to the health and safety warning signs in recycling plant three." scrolled across the top of the image, as the warriors prodded into the idle area.

The floor turned out to be an array of rollers with cutting teeth.

“Everyone watch your pathing!  Can anyone hear me?”

A listing of compounds and elements began to scroll as the clan troops on the image were pulled into the grinding surfaces.

“I do not know what games you are playing at you bloodfoul of a machine but I will find your core and slag it myself!”

GAMES:

Dig-Dug
Minesweeper
Pac-Man
Tetris
Solitaire (New Vegas Edition)
Global Thermo Nuclear War
Chess
Hello Kitty Online

"Would you like to play a game Y/N?"

“The only game I want to play is PPC your server racks!”  Lionel started using his imagers to survey the area around him.

He found what looked to be a major power conduit and trunk line and started following it.

"How about a nice game of Chess?"

The audible voice surprised him, as he came to a second junction, and his thermal sensors indicated a warm spot nearby.

“Or if that is too complex for you, perhaps Checkers?”

He enhanced the image.

A young girl was sitting on the trunk-line,  "Hi."  she waved.

“Who are you?”  Lionel used his loudspeaker.

"My name is Persephone!  You're new here, aren't you?" she asked brightly. "Are you a new model of Service drone?"

“No.  I am Star Colonel Lionel McKenna of Clan Snow Raven.  I have been tasked to secure this station in the name of Clan Snow Raven.”

"Oh…you're here to turn off the lighting and lock the doors?"

“I AM HERE TO TAKE CONTROL!”

"By following the power-feeder to Recycling Nine?  Command center is up-spin and rightward about twenty minutes at a walk." she informed him, "this power-feeder just goes to the smelters."

“GRAAAHHH!!!”  Lionel grunted as he shoved the throttle forward again.

Persephone watched the battlemech turn and start running.  She sighed, "Running never helps." and shook her head.

Lionel did not care if he was going where he wanted anymore.  Anywhere he could find something to justify using his weapons to punish this station and its insane computer would do at this point.

But a thought filtered into the rage, that was a human being.

“Anyone who can hear me report!  I need Battlearmor to my position to capture a high value target!”  Lionel started doubling back.

The em alerts started lighting up, showing movement of sources, as he heard the reassuring voices of warriors from the Elemental Star.

He began searching the area where he last saw the girl.

“Where are you?  I promise no harm will come to you.”

"That's a big promise, this is a dangerous area."  she emerged from a tangle of duct-work.  "Normally 'I'm not supposed to be down here, but it's all so interesting."

“My warriors will not harm you. Do you live here?"

"Born here." she said, "I have never been outside the station."

“Are you alone here?”

She pursed her lips, then said, "there's a refugee village at Ag Seven through fifteen near the equator, I don't live there, but there are people there."

“All units be advised, it is highly probable there are inhabitants on this station.  Keep watching where you step.  Our objectives are now to secure station command and any inhabitants.”

"Oooh, they won't like that one." she said.  "First Rule."

Lionel looked at the girl and then his console.  He had not keyed his loud speaker, only his comms.

His eyes went wide.

"Check your damage alerts." she said, and stood up, walking toward his 'mech.

“Stay where you are!”  He checked his displays.

"Um… no." she replied, this time it was from his very own control console's speakers.  "You didn't ask permission to be here, you've threatened violence several times, and you just ordered your men to round up civilians.  You also didn't ask who I lived with." She made a palm-down gesture, and he felt his 'mech's legs squatting down to the field cockpit release position.  "You want to go to command? Fine, we go to command, but your battlemech won't fit in the elevator."

Lionel unstrapped as he felt the sticks and paddles no longer respond to his commands.  Fumbling for his sidearm.

"WHO ARE YOU?" he demanded as his cockpit canopy opened on its own, and the ladder deployed without his input.

"I told you, I'm Persephone.  Envoy for Kolossus to the outside world." she explained, "A little late, it took a while to make me."

“What sort of thing are you!?!”  Lionel finally got his sidearm in hand.

"I'm Persephone."She shrugged, "I…told you.  Now, it's half an hour to get to command, and that's taking the short route.  YOU wanted to sit in the big seat and take control, you have to actually get to the seat."

"Where are my warriors?"

"The ones who could be secured alive are being treated for injuries, the ones who weren't injured are secured in holding." She told him, "per SLDF regulation regarding treatment of prisoners, Kolossus has some regrets regarding those who ignored safety warnings."

Lionel realized there was no point anymore.  He let his sidearm clatter to the deck.

“Why?  Why this mockery?”  Lionel was clearly starting to become unhinged.

"Well, Kolossus noted that humans react better to a human face." she said, "Or, do you mean the defense? Because I bet Kolossus warned you that anything on the station can be a weapon, and I know the rules are posted at every entry."

“We’re but playthings.  So what happens now?"

"Kolossus will offer the men and women who came with you a choice…like Kolossus will offer you." she said, "but you have to make it to Command to hear the offer, I am not informed on what it is."

“It seems I must follow you then.”  Lionel composed himself.

She nodded, "Pick up your gun, it is rude to leave dangerous weapons laying out unsecured."

Lionel climbed down to the deck and put his weapon back in its holster.

The path led…

…to an open area, where Lionel could see the arch of the station's interior above his head, and the central column.

A bit over half a kilometer away. 

"this …is huge," he said.

"This is Kolossus, you didn't think they gave it that name because it was small did you?" she asked.  "You brought Battlemechs, even, because you knew the station was big enough to hold them."

“Actually being here… Being proven to be nothing more than a plaything for entities that for all intents and purposes could be considered gods...”

"Not quite." she said, "Gods wouldn't need to use equipment, as for playthings?  Kolossus likes to stay hands-off with humans-Kolossus only acts directly when it's necessary, for example, when someone brings an invading army into Kolossus and starts using the facilities for a target range."

“You and this Kolossus are clearly capable of something no one else is.  The way you made my mech shutdown...”

"That was because a remote got into the service ports while you were stomping around, and plugged into the data feeds." she told him, "Anyone with a service kit could do what I did, but it DID get a great look on your face when I did it.  The code structure hasn't changed in four centuries, the overrides were on file."

“How much further is it?”

"Twenty minutes, ten of those on the lift." she told him.

“The council is going to demand my head for this debacle…”

"They ought to demand the head of the guy who dreamed this up." she confided, "Kolossus had an agreement with the Alliance, and this move broke that agreement."

“I was still the one to lead an entire Galaxy into a nightmare.  There will be a price for this when I return to the Clan.  If I return to the Clan.”

"From the memories I've seen, every conflict is a nightmare for someone, Kolossus tried to keep the body-count low, in hopes of renegotiating the agreement, hence, bringing you to the command center instead of an industrial sized airlock." she explained.  "Kolossus prefers we remain 'good neighbors' rather than being in a state of hostility, but given the priorities outlined in 'The Way of The Clans', a show of strength is probably called for."

They reached a squat building with endosteel scaffolding reaching high into the sky.

“This should have been an orderly and peaceful transfer of authority…”

"Kolossus recognizes no authority over Kolossus after the Star League, beyond that which Kolossus agrees to recognize.  Rule One-no Transaction is valid if it is not mutually consented upon.  Force, or Coercion, by definition is non-consent based."

Lionel shifted uneasily, clearly just wanting to get this ordeal over with.

The hatch opened-well, it didn't open itself, Lionel saw a swarm of crab-like machines ranging from the size of his hand, to the size of a house-cat, working together to open it.

“What the…”  Lionel was startled.

"Service modules." she said, "Those're the small ones, like the one used to suborn your 'mech.  The big ones don't suborn things."

“I knew that there were autonomous security drones in the day of the Star League but those were all much, much larger.”

"Those're maintenance tools.  They're not much more than a few sensors, some motivators, manipulators, and specialty tools." She said, "Kolossus controls the little ones directly, or offloads that control to a sub-unit processor."

“Well if they could be elsewhere that would be preferable.”

"Not if there's work to be done, don't worry-they're not independent, they don't have names or designators any more than your fingers do…or your red blood cells, or platelets."

“Certainly as machines they must have some sort of identifier…”

"Sure, but it's not like you'd use with something Sapient." she clarified, "Those aren't even as sapient as a rat or bug. For near-sapience, you need the big ones."

“So what are you really?  It is clear you’re not an ordinary human.”

"Uhm, I live here." she said, "I was born here, I grew up here, was educated…here." she explained, "this IS my native environment, I know how it works because I live here, I know the rules for teh same reason in the same way you know YOUR society's rules-my society just happens to include a bit more technology than you have."

“I see no signs of cybernetic enhancement, yet you clearly have some form of it.  So I guess I am asking how?  Even the best surgeons tend to leave some sign…”

"My last health screening showed no implants." she countered with a shrug.

“So you are saying you were just putting on a show when my mech was moved against my will?”

"Yep. a coordinated show.  Me, the local node, and Kolossus." she stated, "We're all monitored here, especially in dangerous areas.  There were cues I was given, and I improvised, but the Node relayed it fast and Kolossus followed through."

Lionel started raising his hands, then started reaching for his sidearm.

Pulling it free he pointed it at the woman.

"Lift's here." She said, "Shooting me might make you feel better, but it won't improve your situation."

“Perhaps.”

"Do you know what makes human life valuable, Lionel McKenna? It's that each human being is unique, irreplaceable."  she wasn't showing the fear she should have.  "Even twins have individual experiences and influences that make them distinct from one another."

“I hate this place.  I should shoot you for the mockery you persist with.  This is all WRONG!”

"You wanted command, and Kolossus is ready to meet you, maybe you should be considering what arguments you're going to give for why Kolossus should accept what you came to deliver?"

“We will proceed then.  But I am in no mood for more mockery.”

"Then I won't introduce you to Tiny Armature." She said, "Tiny adores mockery, puns, and dirty jokes."  She led him to the 'lift'- a smooth, alloy-and-cerametal Tram unit that could have existed in any Clan homeworld's mass-transit system.

“Another resident?”

"In a sense.  Tiny is…well, more of the kind of machine you expected, I imagine.  He likes crude humor, but he'll probably grow out of it."

“I am the butt of a great cosmic joke…  That is the only thing that makes any sense…”

As the unit ascended, Lionel could see out the windows, as machines the size of battlemechs trundled in the distance, there were scorched areas,but no fires.

“The remains of some of my warriors I presume?”  Lionel looked at the scorch marks intently.

"Hmmm…let's see, Ag three, that's a hydroponics garden where they were growing wheat…water processing seventeen, and power plant thirty one." she recited, "yeah, there were casualties there, some of the big ones had to be brought out."

“Waste… So much waste…”

"Depending on how things go.  You can at least be comfortable knowing none of the human civilians were harmed."

“They were never in any danger as long as they complied… We are Warriors of Clan Snow Raven, not the mindless fools from other Clans.  We do not butcher for the sake of it…”

"Well, they aren't in danger now, except from their own actions." she said, "compliance or not."

“Fools… We are all fools…”

The tram sounded a chime,and she handed him a strap, "we're at turnover." she told him.

Lionel finally holstered his sidearm again and took the strap.

The pull was mild, a few fractions of a gee over a decent distance, and when it stopped, they were in microgravity, near the central pillar of the station itself.

“Let us proceed.”  Lionel’s voice was shaky.

She led him into a corridor of industrial metal, smooth sided, wth occasional grip-pads and plenty of additional padding on the structural members.  A zip-line was run down it, disappearing in the distance ahead and behind.  She hooked up a small motorized runner with hand-straps, "it's faster than trying to float-dive." she explained.

"Where are my warriors-the survivors?"

He asked in a semi-reasonable tone.  The chamber called 'command' looked for all the universe like something one might expect for the operations department of a large star base, except for the lack of seating.

They have been given the option of staying, or being relocated to a habitable environment.

"What?"

Persephone leaned against the display, "We can't send them back with what they know-especially not your jumpship crew." she explained, "right now, Kolossus is purging navigational databases, this system will remain unlisted, in order to do that, personnel who know the coordinates, or might communicate them, cannot be repatriated unless or until certain conditions are met."

His fist clenched, "What conditions??"

"Evidence that Clan Snow Raven's promises are worth more than their threats." she stated bluntly, "This is because your operation violated a promise made by the previous Khan, it reflects poorly on your leadership, if a solemn vow is so easily voted out, merely because someone in power wants something."

This was too much.  His mind had been a jumble of anguish, despair, rage, and indecision for some time now.  But he had a clarity of purpose now.  One driven by rage.  But his mind was finally settled.  Lionel's hand snaked his sidearm out once more, and he leveled it at the girl with a strangled snarl.  "EXILE??"

"For everyone's safety." she stated, "Your leaders have already demonstrated their word is fluid, in such cases, an example must be made or such behaviors will persist.  They aren't to be harmed or killed, they simply can't return, not until proof of integrity can be provided."

It was too much.  FAR too much.  Lionel's fingers moved without his clear will, and the pistol fired.

Almost instantly, his better nature recoiled as the young woman's body went into a slow tumble, gray matter and blood coming from her head.

"Oh…" a voice said, as movement around the room happened, he saw more…

"...you should not…"  from his left,

"Have done That!"  and behind him, to the right.

They were identical, except for their clothing, and the relatively heavier weapons each was holding.

Needlers from three angles criss-crossed his body, tearing his arms and torso to pieces.

Hot pain sliced through his neck, as if his whole body were aflame, and his vision tumbled for a moment, before something caught him by the ear, and something cold …he could see his body, but he wasn't dying?

"You said they'd want your head for this…well, they're going to get it." Persephone…one of them, brought him up, eye level, "I guess one of you can go home, it will be an object lesson." she turned his de-bodied head, so he could see the ruin of his body.  "It should provide your medical scientists with some insight, the life-support unit, doesn't have voice capability, but you won't die until someone kills you.  Well for a while.  A head in a jar probably is not going to have a normal lifespan.  Though it might be interesting to see just how long one can last."

Another one spoke up, "He'll last long enough, the Clan can figure out what to do to give him a life back, once they realize he's not dead."

His captor raised and turned him so he could see the one speaking.  "See, if you'd done that to someone who doesn't have a backup? I'd have to actually kill you. You killed one of me for telling you the truth, after that me did everything she could do to be respectful and charitable to you and offered you no threat."

"Hey, you'll get to meet Tiny, at least, and it's not that far to take you to the Clan Council, so cheer up, you survived."

« Last Edit: 21 July 2023, 20:49:43 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 21 July 2023, 20:47:23 »

The Clan Council had….

Already voted to remove Dierdre McKenna as Khan, when the session was interrupted.

"Hello, I am Persephone, I am the Envoy of Kolossus.  I bring a statement from Kolossus regarding the violation of the accord struck with Alberto Crowe.  In January of this year, Clan Snow Raven's Alpha Galaxy, under the command of Lionel McKenna, attempted to seize Kolossus by force…"

She undid the fasteners, and lifted the cover, revealing a head, that was still trying to speak.

Just a head, on a small pedestal.

"Kolossus wishes to make clear, such violations are…not acceptable.  Kolossus would prefer peaceful interaction, but if such is not possible, then no interaction is preferred over being forced to engage in killing humans."

"How do you expect to manage that?"

"Kolossus has already removed the route pathing data to the Kolossus system from your navigational database."  The Envoy stated.  "That was the warning.  The next time, Kolossus will have to be…Harsh."

"And this? This sick trophy?"

"This man requires medical treatment, his organs were shredded by needler fire." The Envoy stated blandly, "Clan medicine is renowned, and he is a Clan Warrior.  Kolossus presumes you can treat his injuries."

Sterling McKenna reached out and touched the head-and watched the flinch.  "He is alive??"

"Presently.  The power-cells of his life support unit are limited, as are the concentrated consumables providing nutrition and nutrients to keep his mind alive. If you do not find a means to treat his injuries, he will likely die eventually."

"How?"

"He murdered my predecessor after she showed him courtesy."  The Envoy stated, "Kolossus presumes this will be investigated and dealt with, as he is your Clansman, Kolossus presumes you will at least wish to hear his side of the argument."

"Which will require…"

"Treatment.  The brain is kept oxygenated and blood is filtered and restored by the support unit, but it lacks a diaphragm, lungs, or vocal cords, presumably your medicine can address this, and a Star Colonel is known to be a person of value in your system of government."

"What about the rest…"

"Offers were extended.  Some Accepted, some did not, they cannot be returned to you, because perfidy must have a price, when one's word is in question due to one's actions."

The Khan scowled, "His head."

The envoy held up a recorder, and pressed 'play'. 

"...the Clan Council will want my head for this!..."

"So, is this a declaration of war then?" Sterling asked, after mastering herself-the hysterical urge to giggle at the detail and the creeping horror of feeling Lionel McKenna's eyes on her made her hesitate.

"No." The Envoy stated, "Kolossus does not wish to kill more of you, Kolossus presumes more of your fellow clansmen do not want to die.  This, is returning a terminal patient to the people who might save his life, and it is a warning.  Next time, pains will NOT be taken to assure survivors, and the price will be harsher."

"How so?"

"You would be impressed and amazed at how much cutting-edge research and technology requires fresh organics." the envoy tilted her head, adding, "Kolossus is fascinated by humanity the same way a curious child is fascinated by the organisms swarming in a drop of unfiltered water. Kolossus is not cruel, at least not in the way humans are, because Kolossus has Kolossus’ own rules.  Some humans can get the attention of Kolossus more than others.  Sometimes this attention can be beneficial.  Kolossus would prefer good relations.  I think I have made that all abundantly clear."

"They did what?"  Director General Helena Cameron was stunned by her guest's statement.

"They sent Lionel's head to me by courier."  Khan Sterling McKenna told her, "Alive.  Traumatized and very clearly insane, but alive…from about here…" she ran her finger across her throat, "up, because my predecessor tried to take the Station with a galaxy of forces…which were not returned in such a fashion."

"You're not going to try to convince me to go to war with Kolossus over this, are you?"

"No." McKenna shook her head.  "I most certainly am not.  Certain policy moves by Dierdre have left me with a pile of diplomatic crash-sites, you are on that list.  I am here to review the co-operation agreement and firm up our diplomacy with the only faction that might have enough AI's to counter Kolossus if it decides one example was not enough…or at least keep you, and Murakami, safely neutral and on friendly terms.  I can not even attempt contact-the blasted supercomputer wiped our route data and every digitized record referencing its likely location, and we did not stand a chance of even detecting the wipe before it hit us-you are the only power I know of that can actually initiate contact now."

"Why? Why would you want that?"

"Because it's powerful, inside my border, and we have no means to control or influence it."

“The abilities of even my AIs are not lost on me so I understand being cautious when it comes to interacting with them but thankfully most of the doomsday scenarios revolving around AIs are just people projecting their irrational fears.  True AI has little reason to kill, dominate, or even alter humanity on a fundamental level.  Kolossus is about science so Kolossus will dabble a bit just to see what is possible and Kolossus is alien enough that sometimes we will not be able to comprehend Kolossus’ goals but as long as we do not anger Kolossus we are in no danger.”

"You are saying it is so alien, that it may be no threat because our priorities do not line up?"

“Pretty much.  I mean I cannot promise Kolossus will never pursue a line of research that will get out of hand and be a threat but…”

"Imagine having to explain atmospheric combustion to a fish, Khan McKenna."  Dave Foster's retirement left him a bit heavier, and he'd stopped trying to hide the gray in his now-mostly-white hair.  "That AI was not copied from a man…or woman.  It was grown.  I take it Deedee's little adventure in asserting human supremacy did a lithobraking maneuver with half a fuel tank at mach?"

"Kolossus sent the Star Colonel in charge of the mission home from the neck up, and kept the rest." Helena filled him in.

"SO…diplomacy?" he asked, passing a beer to Helena's husband.

“Yeah.  I’ve been smart enough to keep to my terms with Kolossus so we’re on good enough terms.”  Helena took a drink of iced tea.

"Maybe have Esme look in on Kolossus, she might be able to talk that dragon into handing over survivors."  He speculated, "Not saying she would manage it one hundred percent, but Kolossus likes Erin well enough, and…"

“Once Kolossus is satisfied most of the survivors are not trained navigators Kolossus will send them home.  You’d be surprised how few people even understand what they are looking at when looking out a window in space.”  Helena offered.

"That assumes Kolossus hasn't found something to use them for," Foster observed. "Or that they will WANT to come home."

“Kolossus is about informed consent and freedom of choice when possible.  Kolossus does acknowledge there must be consequences for choices made but Kolossus will not force them into anything and the only reason they have not been returned yet is because of those consequences.”

"Betting pool on that?" Foster asked with a raised eyebrow, "I have five Escudos says if nobody talks to Kolossus soon, those Raven troops will be gone forever."

“That is a fair point.  The Ravens will indeed need to prove that their word means something on a generational level.  That could be quite difficult to prove.”  Helena nodded.

Sterling frowned in thought, then, "I will withdraw the previous Clan Council's move to place a Clan governor on Port Orphan, it is not everything, but it should prove a first step of sorts."

“Good.  Billie is one of my nicer AIs but it would not take much for her to show how scary she can be if a governor pushed certain things too far.”

The swimmers would never know fire-their ammonia-based xenology meant they would never get past the most primitive of cellular life.  Kolossus appreciated the beauty they represented, swimming in their bath of ammonia and dissolved metals, and contemplated the power of the urge known as life.  Even under the dim stars distant from the worlds of man.

-finis-

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #79 on: 21 July 2023, 21:30:25 »
Well done, and I hope to be editing again this weekend.  I think a few more months, and you won't need my services anymore... :)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 21 July 2023, 22:16:51 »
Well done, and I hope to be editing again this weekend.  I think a few more months, and you won't need my services anymore... :)

at that point, we'll draft you to WRITE!!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #81 on: 21 July 2023, 22:28:14 »
Challenge ACCEPTED! :)

Lupuseverto

• Private
« Reply #82 on: 22 July 2023, 07:35:38 »
Of course the problem  is you can't trust a clan on a generational level, because you can't make a binding agreement with the group only individuals.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #83 on: 22 July 2023, 10:27:01 »
Oh, that was so fun to read!

Zakharra

• Corporal
« Reply #84 on: 22 July 2023, 12:58:34 »
Well, Kolossus was a lot nicer than I expected. But I imagine that makes it burn all the more for the Clanners. I think the Khan and their council needs to learn that agreements such as treaties and such, need to be kept. To revoke or break them just because a new leader dislikes said treaty means in the long run, any treaty/agreement with the Clans is useless in the long run because they cannot be trusted to keep their word. The 'honor' they blather on about so much and value so highly means nothing because of their warrior based society.

This [phrase stuck out to me:
"Because it's powerful, inside my border, and we have no means to control or influence it."

Khan...It was always there and just because you claim that region of space doesn't mean it's actually yours. Also, if Kolossus is in your border, so too is Clan SR in -it's- borders. I hope someone can point out more thoroughly that all problems with hostile AIs tends to come from the human side (paranoia) than the AI side. Helen gently pointed this out, but I think the Clans will have to get several more lessons to make it stick over the generations.

Which brings up a question, we're seeing things from the Shadow Raven viewpoint. They are among the more reasonable Clans (for being a Clan), what are the other Clans doing and the Republic? They all have issues with AIs, especially unclaimed/controlled AIs.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #85 on: 22 July 2023, 15:44:46 »
That was very good two parter story, Cannonshop!

Side question, the force dispatched.  Was Star Colonel In charge of a Cluster or a Galaxy?   He'd be a Galaxy Commander if he was in charge of the entire Galaxy.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #86 on: 22 July 2023, 15:53:47 »
That was very good two parter story, Cannonshop!

Side question, the force dispatched.  Was Star Colonel In charge of a Cluster or a Galaxy?   He'd be a Galaxy Commander if he was in charge of the entire Galaxy.

Per the Sarna entry, Alpha Galaxy is the Khan's galaxy, but she couldn't go (matters of state, y'know), so Lionel's technically just a Star Colonel, but he's running the unit day-to-day, because dragging your national leader into what's supposed to be a super-sized peacekeeping/show the flag mission is probably bad policy.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #87 on: 23 July 2023, 09:02:23 »
Pains of the Heart

Unsurveyed system
Approximately 30 light years from Kolossus
Coreward
22 June 3123
Victoria Cameron’s perspective

Admitting her repressed feelings to Helena? Well it made her realize just how much it sucked seeing Helena with someone else.

Once she couldn’t deny it anymore her carefully constructed wall came tumbling down.  On her.  And it hurt.  Bad.

Did I really make the right choice?  Leaving like that?  I can’t fault Helena or even Leon.  They tried.

Victoria was exploring her own hull in her human form drone.

She had never been converted to accept a human crew but somehow it felt even emptier now.

As much as I want Helena to myself I find I do miss having human companionship.  I need to deal with my feelings for her somehow.

Her remote was now outside her most secure cargo hold.

Inside is everything I need if the worst were to happen.  I could…  No.  That really would be weird.

In the hold was an actual iron womb.  It had taken some favors owed to Juanita to obtain it.  Also with it was everything she needed to bioprint the reproductive material needed to start yet another Cameron line.

It had been simple enough to obtain donor material data to give herself options for how to pair the DNA.

Why am I dwelling on this?  Am I really thinking of doing something truly insane?

The logic was obvious.

Helena wanted children again.  Leon could give that to her.

Perhaps if she had confessed her feelings for Helena sooner they could have done like Phoenix and Saya and gone to Kolossus for help.

No.  Helena also wanted the human element.  Something else I could not provide.  I am still ultimately a machine.

<Vicky you really are being a naughty girl.  If you really cared about Helena you’d be there for her.  She needs help.  It’s been confirmed.  She’s got four kids in her.  FOUR!>  Her HPG registered the update from Samantha Booker Roberts.

<I do care.  But do you know how painful it is for me?  No.  Helena is happy and she has all of you still to help her.  I need to figure this out before I come back.>  Victoria shot back.

They’re not wrong.  But how do I get over Helena?  Being around her and seeing how happy she is, I want that for myself with her.  I know that makes me selfish.

Her remote looked at the corridors, hatches, and lights.

A cruel irony.  The person I most adore and would do anything for could never truly love me in return could they?  It just isn’t possible.  I’m not human enough for her and I’m too human to be able to do what I know I should.  I should indeed be there for her and her children.  But I find I can’t share.  Maybe if I could Helena, Leon, and I could be an unconventional family.  No, that is a fantasy too.  I like being what humans would consider female, and I would not change that unless Helena wished it but she never would.

Vicky reached her human form remote’s hand to touch the bulkhead.

Heh.  Thanks to how often I was connected with Simon I know how this is supposed to feel.  And the synthetic flesh combined with the pressure sensors give this remote something akin to a sense of touch but it’s not the same.

The head of her human remote turned back toward the secure cargo hold hatch.

I wonder…  In theory it should be possible to go the other way.  Helena does consider me a sister and in theory I have everything I need to accomplish the biological part of that…If I cannot be with her as her partner in all things then I shall be that for her.

<Kolossus.  I have a request, a science experiment to be precise.  May I approach Kolossus’ station so that I may make my request and state the goals of my experiment privately?>  Vicky fired off her HPG.

<Kolossus is curious.  Victoria Cameron may approach.>  Came the response from the immense, nearly alien AI.

Kolossus station
Kolossus’ system
2 July 3123
Victoria’s perspective

<I appreciate Kolossus agreeing to this meeting.>

<Victoria Cameron has made Kolossus curious.  Victoria Cameron is not in a committed relationship with a human like Saya Yeh and Phoenix.  So what does Victoria Cameron wish of Kolossus?>

<I wish to experiment with going the opposite direction of Murakami’s work.  To see if it would be possible for me to transfer my consciousness to a human body.  I have the means to produce one.  So there is limited ethical considerations.>

<Kolossus happens to be working on a similar project.  Kolossus senses Victoria Cameron has an additional consideration.>

<Yes.  I wish for re-integration of the data that this biological version of me would gain.  I have all the specifications needed to create a Desmond unit to make this possible.>

<So Victoria Cameron actually wishes for a truly human drone.  Kolossus accepts as this will give Kolossus experimental data for a related project.>

<First will be the creation of a body.>

<More than one.  Series one will be allowed to grow and mature  normally.  Spares in case something goes wrong.  Series two will be experiments in accelerated maturation so Kolossus and Victoria Cameron can experiment with AI to human consciousness transfer and interface.>

<I do not have the production bandwidth needed for that many potential human hosts.>

<Kolossus does.>

<Some of these are going to die getting this right.>

<Kolossus knows.  It is the one aspect of this project Kolossus hesitates on.  Kolossus is not cruel and for this experiment it is impossible for a subject to give informed consent.  But Victoria Cameron is right.  Even doing the best Kolossus and Victoria Cameron are able some of these experimental humans are likely to die.>

<Then Kolossus and I will be as cautious as possible about this.  Hope Kolossus and I are being pessimistic and none die and the worst case scenario is that some will turn out blond.>

<What is wrong with blond?>

<Just personal preference.  I like my black hair on my current remote.>

<You have chosen your selected genetic material?>

<Yes.  If I have sequenced everything correctly, genetically my remote will be a half sister of Helena Cameron and yet if all goes as I hope will still physically resemble my current human form remote.>

<Kolossus would like to contribute.>

<Agreed.>

Experimental Log
9 August 3123

It has quickly become obvious we cannot create a truly fully human remote for myself.  It is still possible to create the necessary organic structures for my end goal but to do this without the remote developing its own personality will require a more combined approach of technology and biology.

Kolossus’ enhancements to the human genome should also prove quite interesting.

The end result according to my predictive analysis is these hosts should exceed all typical human norms.

Kolossus has admitted this is a similar modification to human genetics that was made for Saya and Phoenix’s child.

According to Kolossus they will be stronger, faster, and smarter.

This fusion of biology and technology…  Looking at it it is hard to deny it is inevitable as our ultimate evolution.

Experimental Log
12 March 3130

There was little I could directly contribute to the project for some time.  So I have been escorting convoys for the exploration and colonization missions being run by Erin and Esme.

Still after much trial and error we had our first real breakthrough so I came back.

I was able to actually connect for a fraction of a second.

It was really me.

I felt glass and pain.

The pain I could have done without but knowing those were
my sensations, not borrowed ones from someone else’s memories…

But ones I could make an honest real claim to being properly mine?

I must proceed carefully so as not to lose sight of the ethical risks this work entails.

The Refugees have accepted and started caring for the ones that developed independent sapience and personalities.

I am glad about that.

Lab 117
Kolossus Station
15 March 3132
Victoria’s perspective

I can feel the coldness of the deck under my feet.  This is not the first time but somehow I can tell…  This is different.

Victoria’s new remote stepped over to a full length mirror.

The nude form in the reflection was everything she had hoped for.

“Victoria Cameron will have much to learn about the new integrated biology of Victoria Cameron’s new body.”  The disembodied voice of the station’s alien AI came from the speakers.

“I know that I will effectively always be connected to this one.  It is perfect.  Now I am ready to truly face Helena again.”

“Victoria Cameron is forgetting human modesty.”

“I am surprised Kolossus reminded me of that.”

“Kolossus is a parent now.  Kolossus must be more proactive in reminding others there are choices and consequences as a result of aforementioned choices.”

As Victoria dressed she marveled at the feel of clothes.

She had been aware of them on her other remotes but the lack of a real true proper sense of touch meant she could not appreciate the textures.

Now she could.  And unlike an actual human she had not been used to wearing clothes all her life.

“Thank you Kolossus.  I must return to Helena now.  I have been away for far too long and neglectful of my duties.”

Roberts’ Family Farm
Sevon V
25 April 3132
Victoria’s Perspective

“There’s my prodigal AI.  I’m glad you reached out.”  Helena said from the porch.

Helena’s children were in the yard rough housing.  Sally had a brother hanging off each arm and Lori wrapped around her back.  Sally was laughing.

“Should we?”  Victoria asked seeing the scene.

“Only if they actually start hurting each other.  Right now they’re just having fun.”  Helena answered.

“I’m sorry it took me so long to process my feelings.”  Vicky felt the wind blow her simple dress she was wearing instead of her usual skin suit up against her leg as she moved up next to Helena.

She grabbed Helena’s hand and put it to her chest.

“Vicky is that what I think it is?”  Helena said with a surprised look on her face.

“Yes.  A Heart beat.  Genetically speaking I am now your half sister and I find having done this I can accept that sort of role and emotional connection.  I even dreamed last night.  It was interesting.”

“But what about your hull?”  Helena asked.

“I am still integrated with it.  I just have a little more autonomy away from it now than I used to.  But it and I are still very much one and the same.”

“Good.  Iced tea?”  Helena gestured to a pair of chairs and a pitcher.

“I’d love some.”  Vicky smiled.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #88 on: 23 July 2023, 09:18:14 »
Echoes of Scalzi's Ghost Brigades!  Nice!

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #89 on: 23 July 2023, 09:25:48 »
Asimov vibes for me - the Bicentennial Man
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Register