Author Topic: It's That Time Again! It's time for Nominations for the 2023 Stompy Atlas Awards  (Read 2645 times)

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
Hi all.
 It's that time again to find and award Battletech Fanfic excellence. It's time to warm up those virtual statuettes to hand out on this forum (black tie optional). It's time to send in those nominations! Existing categories are:

- Best Fanfic of 2022
  - Best New Author of 2022
  - Best Crossover of 2022
  - The JA Baker Memorial Lifetime Achievement Award (will this finally be Cannonshop's year?)

And...some new categories:

- Best Humorous Fanfic of 2022
  - Best Horror Fanfic of 2022

Here are the rules:

Rules (there are always rules):

1. The author must have begun work on the nominated story in the 2022 calendar year. Stories that do not meet this criteria are not eligible. A story doesn't have to be completed to be nominated.

2. A copy of the story must be posted here and the copy posted here will be the "nomination copy" for all intents and purposes. Please include the author's name and a link to the story with your nomination.

3. You may nominate your own work (Exception, Best Fiction of the Decade).

4. All nominations must take place by 0000 EST, September 22, 2023. Voting will commence shortly after that.

5. Crossovers must be crossed over with at least one fandom of any kind that was at some point in print or in some form of popular media.

6. Newcomer nominations are for first-time authors only that have not submitted any Battletech fanfiction to this board or any other major board (Fanfiction.net, Spacebattles, The Sietch, ourbattletech.com, etc.)

7. The Humor and Horror categories are in the eye of the beholder, but I think we can define them pretty well, no?

The Prize? Bragging Rights for a year, and perhaps I'll ask if someone can gin up a nice graphic for the nominees and winner's sig? Also, all yearly winners for Best Story will automatically be nominated for Best Fiction of the Decade to be held in 2031!
« Last Edit: 13 September 2023, 20:16:31 by panzerfaust150 »
Clover Spear author and cat wrangler!
FedCom Fan!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Question: what about team efforts?  Where do they fit?

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
All authors should be cited in the category. However teams cannot be cited for the Lifetime Achievement Award or the New Author Awards.
FedCom Fan!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Rog, thanks!  And I assume the years in the body of the OP should read 2023, right?

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
FedCom Fan!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
      - Best Crossover of 2022 =
Revenants of the Star League

- Best New FanFiction of 2022 =
*Aurigan Dreams (BattleTech CYOA) by Oshha (SpaceBattles.com)

- Lifetime Achievement Award =  Cannonshop
- New Comer:  Lucen Dacier, Mechwarrior: Wild Rose (SpaceBattles.com)

- Best Horror Fanfic of 2022 - Self Configuring Modular Robot by Cannonshop

- Best Humorous Fanfic of 2022 - The Great Captain Robert Tales by Cannonshop

- Best Fan Source or Technical Readout : (Nominations)

*Operation Lancaster by Sumaire STi

*Technical Readout: Syberia by Herb

*Magistracy Intelligence Report - Technical Readout 3160 by Riley Centrella

*Technical Readout: Aries Initiative by Derek King

*Experimental Technical Readout: Ghost and Shadows by marauder648

Side Note:  Are we going honor our boards fan writer Black Tiger Actual (who passed this year sadly, like JA Baker/Starbug)?

I've added more nominations.  I'm no so strong on knowing all the stories of 2022, but I was able track 2022 sourcebooks / TROs

I wish had been able nominate other such as the Magistracy Monthly (started in 2021) fan magazine when they came out.
[/list][/list]
« Last Edit: 13 September 2023, 22:10:45 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
I will figure out how to honor him tastefully. We sadly can't do a video retrospective, but something should be done.
FedCom Fan!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Wrangler, your last link seems to be misdirecting to your second to last link...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Wrangler, your last link seems to be misdirecting to your second to last link...
Sorry, trying fix it.  I saved before I could fix it.  :undecided:
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
- Best Fanfic of 2022

Scars of Victoria by AlphaMirage

- Best New Author of 2022

New Dawn in the Suns by GSpectre (SB)

- Best Humorous Fanfic of 2022

MechWarrior With A Mouth: A BattleTech x Deadpool Story by BATTLEMASTER

Shoot first, laugh later.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
I'm going to steal some of Wrangler's links for my votes (editing's not a category, so I'm omitting myself):

Best Crossover of 2023 = Revenants of the Star League by Cannonshop, monbvol, Giovanni Blasini and 2ndACR

Best New FanFiction of 2022 = The Great Captain Robert Tales by Cannonshop, monbvol, Giovanni Blasini and 2ndACR

Best Horror Fanfic of 2022 - Self Configuring Modular Robot by Cannonshop

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
did a quick pass through SCMR, and focused on the comment sections, and realized something I found a bit shocking.

Herb was reading it, and he writes better stuff than I do.

Much better stuff.

The difference between someone who actually LEARNED how to Pro before going hobbyist, versus someone like me who failed to learn how to Pro.

there ARE things I would do differently on that story, if I were to rewrite it with any sort of solid effort.  Plenty of it makes me, (reading from a distance in time) cringe.

If you READ the Captain Roberts Tales, you'll find a LOT changed in the process-you'll see just how 'rough' my rough draft style of banging out fanfics really IS.

Probably the best  effort out of that series ("Ridiculously Overboard", "The Great and the Good", and "Strategos")  would be after I roped Daryk in for editing and recruited Monbvol.  those two kept me HONEST.

Second best would be "The Great and the Good".

which, with a HELL of a lot of polishing and editing and rewriting, could actually be a decent story.

I'll be back later with my own nomiinations-which are, per my usual habits, Other people who aren't me...

but right now I'm sleep deprived and staring down a mandatory overtime weekend.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
Best New Author: FWCartography for "I, Caesar" https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,81484.0.html

Best Fanfic: Opalescent Reflections by Drakensis https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,80885.0.html

Lifetime Achievement Award: Drakensis

Best Fanfic is a very close race, for me. If it wasn´t for the Best New Author category to nominate him for, Best Fanfic might well have gone to FWCartography instead. Drakensis is very good, I almost feel he should be auto-nominated for any category he´s eligible for, but FWCartography is showing promise to be his equal - certainly if he manages to deliver what his story so far has promised.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

drakensis

• Lieutenant
There are a lot of good nominations here.

Thank you for the nomination of a Lifetime Achievement Award but as I got the Hall of Fame nomination for 2020, I don't think I'm eligible.

Also, Opalescent Reflections was written in 2023, not 2022 which the OP requires - unless that's a typo? (I did write a story in 2022, but not that one).

I will second this:
Lifetime Achievement Award =  Cannonshop
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Pretty sure the OP copy/pasted from the prior award nominations thread and that the stories should be from 2023, seeing how as we already had a 2022 nomination/voting and it is 2023.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
I Ceasar is from this year as is Opalescent Reflections and you can only get Lifetime Achievement once, with drakensis winning the first one.
We are nominating fics from 2022, just like we were nominating/voting for fics from 2021 in 2022. It wold be rather unfair towards authors who will post their content in the final three months to have the vote on 2023 fics now. 
Shoot first, laugh later.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
- Best Fanfic of 2022
The Bull and the Genie by Korozon 77
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
I asked the OP about the year thing, and he said the text should read 2023, not 2022... ???

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
I asked the OP about the year thing, and he said the text should read 2023, not 2022... ???

Indeed.

Everyone, see replies #3 and #4.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Thanks for the confirmation! :)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
I'd like second nomination for - Best Fanfic of 2022 - The Bull and the Genie by Korozon 77.

DOC_Agren

• Major
Best Fanfic Guided by the light of a (Red) Cameron Star by Hotpoint

Best Crossover of 2023 = Revenants of the Star League by Cannonshop, monbvol, Giovanni Blasini and 2ndACR

Best Horror Fanfic  Survivor by Liam's Ghost

Lifetime Achievement Award =  Cannonshop
He has given me years worth of enjoyment

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
I will point out Revenants of the Star League is not actually a cross over series as defined by the OP.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
The shared universe thing is a little fuzzy, to me at least...

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
The OP defined Crossover pretty clearly, so perhaps Collaborative would be a good alternative.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
I'd second the recategorizing of Revenants as a Collaboration,   though it began as welding Monbvol's "Weapons of War" to my stories about "The Great Captain Roberts!!!"  (*punctuation may be pronounced, if you wish...)

So it might actually fit both descriptors, since things started out as separate settings and only came together after a bit of writing together (mainly beginning with "Strategos".)

but if the rules are held tight, then we ought to follow them...or get a revision from the OP, to keep things fair.

Best Horror: "Survivor" by Liam's_Ghost.  I blinked too much with SCMR and it turned into something NOT a horror story or cautionary tale.

I'm still prodding a bit on whose humour was best this year.  While Amanda was INTENDED to be humour/light farce, she didn't really end up that way, especially once we really dug into the setting.  Plus, I kinda suck at comedy. (Though I managed to inject some comedic elements into SCMR as well as the Captain Roberts stories.)

I'd like to suggest GiovanniBlasini for the Lifetime award, while he doesn't crank out nearly as much raw material as I do, his stuff is usually more polished and a good, solid read, and like Liam's_Ghost, he comes up with concepts that inspire me.

I'm following my own rules here, so I won't be nominating any of my own stuff...at least, not directly.

I'll know more about what to nominate for comedy sometime soonish.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
So which non-BT IP do any of the stories crossover with?  Because that's the definition in the OP.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
Hey all,
 RL got a bit in the way, so I am extending the deadline till midnight Eastern tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 01 October 2023, 21:00:09 by panzerfaust150 »
FedCom Fan!

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
OK, nominations are closed. I will have the voting thread up on Friday.

FedCom Fan!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Rog, thanks! :)

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
Will get the voting thread up this weekend. RL is kinda trumping Battletech right now.
FedCom Fan!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
No worries!  Same here...

Sumaire_STi

• Corporal
      - Best Crossover of 2022 =
Revenants of the Star League

- Best New FanFiction of 2022 =
*Aurigan Dreams (BattleTech CYOA) by Oshha (SpaceBattles.com)

- New Comer:  Lucen Dacier, Mechwarrior: Wild Rose (SpaceBattles.com)

- Best Horror Fanfic of 2022 - Self Configuring Modular Robot by Cannonshop

- Best Humorous Fanfic of 2022 - The Great Captain Robert Tales by Cannonshop

- Best Fan Source or Technical Readout : (Nominations)

*Operation Lancaster by Sumaire STi

*Technical Readout: Syberia by Herb

*Magistracy Intelligence Report - Technical Readout 3160 by Riley Centrella

*Technical Readout: Aries Initiative by Derek King

*Experimental Technical Readout: Ghost and Shadows by marauder648

Side Note:  Are we going honor our boards fan writer Black Tiger Actual (who passed this year sadly, like JA Baker/Starbug)?

I've added more nominations.  I'm no so strong on knowing all the stories of 2022, but I was able track 2022 sourcebooks / TROs

I wish had been able nominate other such as the Magistracy Monthly (started in 2021) fan magazine when they came out.
[/list][/list]

Oh, wow. Thank you! I only found out recently that this is a thing, and I'm honored Operation Lancaster has been nominated! There's a lot of great work in that lineup, to say the least, so that's awesome. :)