Author Topic: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA  (Read 140432 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA
« Reply #300 on: 10 November 2019, 11:31:01 »
Ouch!  Even more sorry I missed it now...  :-\

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #301 on: 11 November 2019, 14:09:35 »
The sign that dice gods are fickle was in the first two fire phases the Feds pumpes close to 30 damage on the Drac's Shootist in the center torso. 

The follow up turns resulted in the Shootist moving into partial cover with light woods.  A Fed Victor took the gift of an exposed money shot to my back, if he didn't get gunned down by the Drac's company.  The Dracs did their job and the fortunes favored the Shootist as the Victor completely wiffed.  Victor fails the psr and the possible kick to the head was averted.

2 turns later the Shootist is gifted the back of a Striker.  The Shootist misses with AC 20, but hit with the 2 MPLs.  I rolled 2 12s for location and the pristine Striker is toast.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #302 on: 11 November 2019, 15:24:19 »
Ugh... ugly dice indeed!

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #303 on: 11 November 2019, 15:38:16 »
The amount of PSRs failed for +20 damage by the Feds may have been over 50% too.  It seemed like everytime they got shot they fell down.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #304 on: 11 November 2019, 15:50:39 »
OUCH!  xp

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #305 on: 11 November 2019, 16:08:24 »
Alrighty then, here's a rundown of what happened last game.

Draconis Combine
Thunder Hawk 7x
King Crab 000b
Battlemaster 1G-DC
Hatamoto-Chi 27T
Marauder 2R
Shootist 8A
Crab 27
Mongoose 67
Scorpion 1N
Guillotine 3N
Stalker 3H
Awesome 8Q

FedCom
Nightstar 9J
Devastator 2
Longbow 7Q
Catapult C1
Hunchback 4G
Victor 9B
Shadow Hawk 2Hb
Raven 2X
Hussar 350D
Flashman 7K
Striker 2S
Vulcan 5T

The Combine had roughly a 3k BV advantage, but I was wanting to make this a challenge for the FedCom.

It started off with the Combine putting all but the Mongoose, Scorpion and Crab on their left flank.  The FedCom responded by moving their Nightstar, Devastator and Longbow to a central hill with excellent view of the battlefield.  All the FedCom light and medium mechs moved to counter the Combine's lights and mediums.  the rest of the FedCom mechs positioned themselves behind a hill.  The Devastator, Nightstar and Longbow were laying down long range fire as the Combine were closing the distance.

But instead of waiting for the Combine the Hunchback, Striker, Victor and Flashman were committed.  This resulted in a bloody exchange of short range firepower.  The Hunchback was nearly cored in one turn of shooting.  Its AC20 was put out of commission and it lost one of its medium lasers.  The Stalker took a head hit and suffered an ammo explosion that caused the pilot to pass out from injuries.  Both the Hunchback and Stalker fell over.

The next turn, the Combine shifted its focus to the Victor who had positioned himself to attempt to kick the head off of the Shootist.  The Hunchback stood back up and decided to try and finish off the Stalker.  The FedCom decided to focus on the Battlemaster who had started to close the distance to the Longbow.  The Victor took a withering amount of firepower, but managed to soak up all the damage including a PPC to the head.  However, the Victor missed its shot with the AC20, missed the kick on the Shootist.  It then fell over and landed on its head killing the pilot.

Meanwhile on the other end of the battlefield, the lights and mediums were content shooting at each other from medium and long ranges.  The Vulcan got unlucky and had its head shot off (there was a misunderstanding of how partial cover worked; by the time I found out what had happened it was too late to undo it all).  The Shadowhawk was doing a good job of keeping the rest of the Combine's mechs at bay however and was inflicting damage to the Scorpion which was starting to go internal in the legs.

After the Victor's unlucky fall, the Combine then focused on the Striker.  The FedCom had an extreme change of luck.  When it seemed the Striker was going to get off relatively unscathed (the Shootist missing with the AC20 along with some a lot of other weapons missing), the 2 medium pulse lasers managed to both hit the Striker's head cleaving it.  While all this is going on, the Hunchback was ignored while still picking on the Stalker; it had suffered 2 engine hits and lost a heat sink so it couldn't stand still and shoot its single remaining medium laser without building up heat.  The Guillotine decided to chase down the Flashman and engage it on its own.  The Marauder had one of its arms shot off from the Nightstar, Devastator, Longbow and Catapult ganging up on it.

The Combine decided to blow past the Flashman and have the Guillotine deal with it and concentrated on the Longbow.  They managed to knock it over, but no loss of any weapons or limbs.  The Fedcom then decided to focus on the King Crab who was getting dangerously close.  In one turn of shooting, the KC was hit by 4 gauss rifles, 3 PPCs, 2 LRM20s, 2 LRM5s and at least 6 medium lasers and nothing went internal; the dice gods decided to punish the FedCom yet again.  The Longbow then had its leg and one arm blown off and was essentially combat ineffective the rest of the battle.  The Combine decided to rush with its lights and mediums to try and cut off the FedCom's line of retreat.  The Thunderhawk destroyed a leg belonging to the Hunchback who was still trying to core the Stalker.  The Catapult had an opportunity the following turn after that to kick off the Thunder Hawk's head, but missed the kick and fell over.

The next turn, the Nightstar became the focus of the Combine with the King Crab still being targeted by the FedCom.  The King Crab almost lost its leg and took actuator damage knocking it over.  The Nightstar, however, had one of its legs completely blown off with little to no damage anywhere else (again, the RNG taking one side).  The Guillotine blew off one of the Flashman's legs that sealed its fate.  It was at this point we called the game.  We decided to see if the Stalker pilot could wake back up to get away from the Flashman and Hunchback who were so intent on completely coring it.  And wouldn't you know it...despite having 4 pilot hits, the pilot regained consciousness and saved his mech from total destruction.

In summary the FedCom would have only managed to escape with the Shadow Hawk, Hussar and Raven; all other forces would have been captured or destroyed.  The Kuritans lost the King Crab with the Battlemaster, Scorpion, Stalker and Marauder suffering heavy damage.  I have seen very few fights were luck was so one sided.  The FedCom was putting out a lot of damage, but it was spread out too much on the mechs they shot at.  The Combine on the other hand seemed to get much better damage groupings which was why they managed to shoot off so many legs.

The only thing I could think of that the FedCom could have done better was instead of committing the lance of the Striker, Victor, Hunchback and Flashman when they did, they probably should have waited for the Combine to close allowing more time for the long range fire support to soften up the Kuritans a little more.  That may have let the FedCom to bag another mech or two, but the dice were so lob-sided.
« Last Edit: 11 November 2019, 20:35:41 by Jester006 »
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #306 on: 11 November 2019, 16:32:08 »
Bummer... letting the Kuritans close our prepared positions sounds a LOT like advice I've given before...

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #307 on: 18 November 2019, 21:25:44 »
So now the company the campaign has thus been centered around has been forced to do a strategic repositioning to stop this breakthrough.  The Kuritan company paused just for basic armor repairs and ammo reloads and are now threatening to overrun battalion HQ. 

All FedCom aerospace has been scrambled to support other units who have become heavily engaged by Kuritan forces in an attempt to contain the breakthrough; meaning you will have no air support for the next mission.  Battalion HQ is in the process of evacuating from their current position within one of the towns.  HQ is also evacuating the local mayor and other civilians to get them to safety.
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #308 on: 20 November 2019, 00:38:27 »
So now heres a dilemma.

Do you all take the Mauler with 2 engine hits, or do you take a fully repaired Jagermech?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #309 on: 20 November 2019, 04:31:43 »
Does the Mauler have DHS?  If so, I'm inclined to take it over the Jaeger...

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #310 on: 20 November 2019, 09:31:58 »
Does the Mauler have DHS?  If so, I'm inclined to take it over the Jaeger...

It does indeed

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #311 on: 20 November 2019, 15:21:23 »
My question is more what is the objective of the battle.  Are we moving into contact and trying to drive them back or we still defending/holding the line? 

Moving into contact and pushing I'd say Jager for movement.  If defense, possibly Mauler, but that's a big risk.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #312 on: 20 November 2019, 15:40:10 »
The company is being sent to push back the Kuritans who are threatening to overrun battalion HQ.

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #313 on: 20 November 2019, 16:03:16 »
Yeah, in that case I think the mobility of the Jager would be more useful probably.  Do we have any other reserves left other than the lights?

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #314 on: 20 November 2019, 16:39:32 »
No.  The other mechs that have been salvaged will take too long to repair or too damaged to even attempt to repair.

The Rifleman you all have will also be down 2 DHSs; which is manageable.  Everything else on it is fully repaired.

The only other mechs you have in reserve are a Commando and a Javelin.

Also, you may want to take some flak ammo...
« Last Edit: 20 November 2019, 20:57:43 by Jester006 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #315 on: 20 November 2019, 20:40:40 »
If they have air cover and we don't, the Mauler is the better choice, I think...

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #316 on: 30 November 2019, 13:37:29 »
Jester, been thinking about previous comments and did a slight redesign. 
Anyone, welcome thoughts. 

Code: [Select]
Shadow Hawk SHD-2Hb2

Mass: 55 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: Succession Wars
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-F-E-D
Production Year: 3050
Dry Cost: 5,730,557 C-Bills
Total Cost: 5,757,557 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,636

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 275 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 54.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h
Jump Jets: Unknown
    Jump Capacity: 150 meters
Armor: Unknown Ferro-Fibrous w/ CASE
Armament:
    1  ER PPC
    1  Medium Pulse Laser
    4  Medium Lasers
    1  SRM-4
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                    91 points                3.00
    Internal Locations: 2 LT, 5 RT, 2 LA, 1 RA, 2 LL, 2 RL
Engine:             Fusion Engine                275                      15.50
    Walking MP: 5
    Running MP: 8
    Jumping MP: 5 Standard
    Jump Jet Locations: 1 CT, 2 LT, 2 RT                                   2.50
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             12(24)                    2.00
    Heat Sink Locations: 1 LT
Gyro:               Standard                                               3.00
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA+H    R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV - 170                  9.50
    Armor Locations: 1 CT, 2 LT, 3 RT, 4 LA, 4 RA
    CASE Locations: 1 RT                                                   0.50

Internal       Armor     
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     18           25       
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  8         
                                           L/R Torso     13           19       
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  6         
                                             L/R Arm     9            17       
                                             L/R Leg     13           22       

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SRM-4                                        HD        3         1         2.00
ER PPC                                       LT        15        3         7.00
3 Medium Lasers                              RA        9         3         3.00
Medium Pulse Laser                           LA        4         1         2.00
Medium Laser                                 LA        3         1         1.00
@SRM-4 (25)                                  RT        -         1         1.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 0

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      6    Points: 16
5j         3       3       1       0      2     2   Structure:  5
Special Abilities: CASE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #317 on: 30 November 2019, 14:38:31 »
Just for clarification, that is the custom Shadowhawk you want for the campaign correct?
« Last Edit: 30 November 2019, 21:23:41 by Jester006 »

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #318 on: 30 November 2019, 21:34:43 »
It would could be, yes.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #319 on: 30 November 2019, 22:00:39 »
It has more cowbell.  So if Christopher Walken approves, it's good with me.

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #320 on: 01 December 2019, 10:21:05 »
I'm....confused. but sure.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #321 on: 01 December 2019, 11:24:31 »
I suppose you haven't seen that particular SNL skit…  ^-^

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #322 on: 01 December 2019, 23:07:57 »
No, I have, just not getting the context here.  Suppose that's fine.

From a tactical perspective which do you prefer, this build or the lb-10x build? :thumbsup:

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #323 on: 02 December 2019, 00:26:24 »
Looking over the last spread sheet I could find, I'd keep the LB armed Shadow Hawk.  I like this new one more in a bubble, but I don't see that we have much in the way of crit seekers and the LB-X can do that and provide flak should we need it.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #324 on: 09 December 2019, 12:06:24 »
Looking over the last spread sheet I could find, I'd keep the LB armed Shadow Hawk.  I like this new one more in a bubble, but I don't see that we have much in the way of crit seekers and the LB-X can do that and provide flak should we need it.

The decision is ultimately up to Jeff.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #325 on: 09 December 2019, 12:07:45 »
Alrighty, I've got 2 days that I can run the next game.  I was wanting to push for either Saturday January 4th or the 11th.  Let me know which days work out best for you all so I can get the event posted on Huzzah's website.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #326 on: 09 December 2019, 17:36:49 »
Either date should work for me.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #327 on: 09 December 2019, 18:26:11 »
I can't plan that far ahead yet...  :-[

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #328 on: 10 December 2019, 19:02:33 »
Both should be fine for me.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #329 on: 17 December 2019, 22:49:07 »
Alrighty, I am going to go ahead and set the next game for January 11th at Huzzah Hobbies starting at noon.

This is going to be the final mission of the prologue.

The situation is the company the campaign has been centered around has been scrambled to contain the Kuritan breakthrough. Battalion HQ is being threatened and has requested assistance while they evacuate personnel and some local VIPs from a nearby town.

Local security forces are present and have proven to be trustworthy towards the FedCom.  While their morale is high, their equipment is sub-par.  Expect opposition forces to have air support and plan accordingly.
« Last Edit: 18 December 2019, 13:25:10 by Jester006 »