Author Topic: Opinions wanted  (Read 1630 times)

Archer_Wirth

• Master Sergeant
Opinions wanted
« on: 08 December 2019, 21:08:01 »
Hey all,

I've recently ordered the new boxset with the 8 awesome plastic minis. I'm a huge fan, I come and go, but I'm a huge fan. I love the Wolf Dragoons, GDL, and I'm sort of fund at times of Kurita, Davion, and some of the Clans like CSJ and The Wolves.

At some point I created my own mercenary unit using the Mercenary TRO put out by CGL. 25th Whiskey Rangers. With my character from back when I was 13 as the Colonel. Gave them my own scheme, like nothing on Camo Specs, and a bunch of Alpha Strike abilities for each lance.

Now I've got all the new 'mechs and absolutely no inspiration as to how to paint them. I picked up some cool Model Color paints at my local hobby store, and I'd like to just paint them bad ass, but I'm sort of torn because it won't represent any BT lore.

Just looking for opinions.
Col. Archer Wirth
25th Whiskey Rangers
Mercenary Wizards

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
Re: Opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2019, 01:21:28 »
Hey all,
 I picked up some cool Model Color paints at my local hobby store, and I'd like to just paint them bad ass, but I'm sort of torn because it won't represent any BT lore.

Don't let that stop you, There's plenty of room (and precedence) in the Battletech universe to just have random bad-ass schemes.

If you end up not liking it, just paint over them.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2019, 11:18:15 »
What do you mean by doesn't represent BT lore?  They story you have for them is yours, and part of your game.  They exist for you.   The sphere is big enough for a merc unit to exist and still not be noticed by the major powers. 

If you mean canonization, then sure, they won't be an official part, but does that really matter?  Again, they are yours.   Get them painted, and get out and play.  Heck, start by making them known at your local game store as the OpFor by setting up games, or play with them at a convention.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2019, 11:55:34 »
First question: what colors do you have?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 09 December 2019, 14:19:00 »
Washes / dips are the quickest way to get a great result. Washes (or inks) tend to be water soluble, dips tend to be varnish based. If you can drybrush as well, you can get very good results quickly. I can go on more about this if you're interested.

The Whisky Rangers sound like they should be a brown or tan based unit. Add a contrast colour for detailing. For example, this homebrew merc unit of mine, Ōkina Shigoto.

Simple scheme - tan base, green stripe on lower right leg, camo triangles on the upper shoulders, and then a coat of teak stain. The stain pulls it all together, and pools in the panel lines & adds detail. It also pulls away slightly from edges - see the paler lines on the Ninja-To's shoulder panels - adding further detail for free.

In your case, pick a contrast colour that suits your needs. Pretty much anything will do, and apply it in whatever pattern you chose.

Alternatively, countershading looks really good:

These Capellan Dragoons are half black, half green, with black details on the green side & vice versa. Again, choose colours you like.

Hope that's some help.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 09 December 2019, 15:11:29 »
If you were talking about clan mechs, I’d feel like you were fairly restricted by the lore into using an official paint scheme.  But Inner Sphere mechs?  Go nuts.  Mercenaries and pirates can paint their mechs however they want and they can (within reason) fight in the time and place of their choosing.  Bring back the 25th Whiskey Rangers.  Stick them into historical campaigns as minor forces hired by governments that wouldn’t admit that they’d done so.

All of the mechs in that box are pretty common throughout the Inner Sphere. 

But read up on color theory if you’re willing to tweak or re-evaluate your scheme.  Get a color wheel and pick two opposite colors.  Maybe split the secondary color so you’re using the ones on either side of it.  e.g. if blue is your main color, orange is its opposite; split it into yellow-orange as your accent color and red-orange as your cockpit/miscellaneous detail color.  Consider desaturating one of them (dulling down towards grayness, which doesn't move you around the color wheel), particularly the main color for a more militaristic look.  Or make one dark, one light. 

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2019, 18:06:40 »
25th Whiskey Rangers sound good to me - looking forward to seeing their line-up and colour-scheme!
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Archer_Wirth

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 09 December 2019, 19:42:07 »
Well, the 25WR has been around for almost 2 years, and have been in many fights. I created the unit using the Mercenaries Sourcebook from CGL. But, I made them for Alpha Strike, they have very unique SPA's that make them very useful in AS, and perhaps less so in Classic. In Classic I end up mixing them up because of BV limitations. I might just add the new 'mechs to the Whiskey Rangers and grow the unit.

Yup, can't figure out how to post photos from photobucket or google drive here...

« Last Edit: 09 December 2019, 20:17:38 by Archer_Wirth »
Col. Archer Wirth
25th Whiskey Rangers
Mercenary Wizards

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 09 December 2019, 20:19:38 »
Yeah, I’ve used both and seen them wall themselves off. Upload a photo to imgur; it has a decent UI for one-off pic sharing.

Archer_Wirth

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2019, 20:33:18 »
Trying again with IMGUR...

Here you have them, the 25th Whiskey Rangers.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2019, 20:35:48 by Archer_Wirth »
Col. Archer Wirth
25th Whiskey Rangers
Mercenary Wizards

Guroburov

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 09 December 2019, 23:10:37 »
Nice.  I like the unique look to each lance's paint scheme and yet a uniform overall pattern to the unit as a whole.