Author Topic: Warship Race Redux  (Read 89472 times)

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Re: Warship Race Redux
« Reply #1290 on: 12 February 2024, 18:46:18 »
How small of a power would you be willing to support?  I'm partial to the Lothian League, myself... ;)

I’ll leave this picture here. Someone made this (IDK WHO! I don’t have it labeled sadly) but I always thought THIS would be funny for a RP

*distance not to scale

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1291 on: 12 February 2024, 19:43:03 »
The Lothians HAD a decent industrial base, right up until 2933...

Well, it was based on population and general size.

I started out with 50 Billon as one of the smallest groups. Had to do some very hard number crunches to get anything off the ground as I realized size in planetary systems added money. And the game technically didn't allow colonies. So, I had to design a method that worked. Conquest! And if enough resources went to that, I could grow, in theory.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1292 on: 12 February 2024, 20:08:11 »
It's odd the system didn't allow colonies, since that's how literally EVERY non-Terran nation started...

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #1293 on: 12 February 2024, 20:24:47 »
The states autogrew to some extent. I imagine allowing a focus on it, especially with hindsight knowledge of where to expand, could be unbalanced.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1294 on: 12 February 2024, 20:28:21 »
In play, I could see the Lothians running a little further in a different direction when they left the Concordat...

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #1295 on: 12 February 2024, 20:41:38 »
What year would a new game be kicking off in?

Also, going to suggest hammering out any of the details on rules/rule changes, etc. in this thread, but then kicking off the rebooted game in a new thread, since we're already at nearly 50 pages.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1296 on: 12 February 2024, 20:48:40 »
If I'm the one who ends up running it, I'll probably start at 2300 again. It seemed like a good place to start, unless anyone has another date they think would work better.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #1297 on: 12 February 2024, 20:56:48 »
So two things: also look at the Warship Race Redux II for ideas and whatnot.

IIRC We moved the Second version’s discussion to the Fan Rules section (or was it the RP section: ita in my Sig and IDK lol) I with only the designs and IC posts in this forum which I would actually consider doing

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1298 on: 12 February 2024, 20:58:38 »
Well, this thread is already in fan rules, so... ;D

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1299 on: 13 February 2024, 00:17:52 »
First off, I would like to apologise to the players of this game for ghosting them. After Marcus decided to leave I was immediately overwhelmed by the workload and then had some RL stuff going on to add further anxiety and to my shame I chose to just vanish for awhile. Sorry again.

Point #1: I cannot state highly enough that unless you are a VERY dedicated GM with a lot of time on your hands, you are going to want 2-3 guys to run this game. Not just for sharing the workload of the NPC factions but also to bounce ideas of each other for writing and to do an initial sniff test.

Marcus and I had a bunch of stuff in a google drive folder so we could both check up on what rules we had nailed down here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nYtVORJ6m4BNNX5lPbIt0kn4gw2-Bqez?usp=drive_link.

The Map: I don't remember where I acquired a blank map of the Inner Sphere but I edited it with Paint.net, very useful free program that let me add multiple layers to the map, so much easier to adjust borders.

I believe from memory the main reason we didn't do much with colonies was that you were playing as the Chief Naval Officer of your nation, not the House Leader, and we thought that that sort of expansion was more on the civilian side of the nations leadership.

I would be more than happy to play again, but beyond the occasional combat write-up for factions far from me or keeping the Great Big Spreadsheet of Everyone's Stuff up to date it's probably best I don't GM.

Things I would do differently, but didn't do this game because we either didn't know how to adjust the spreadsheet correctly or didnt want to do major rule changes mid game -

1) Change max SI: It has always bugged me that SI limits were determined by speed rather than by any other factor. I propose instead that SI and thrust are in no way related, but instead maximum SI starts at say 30 + (tonnage/10,000) and can be improved with tech like armour does. Improved Construction Techniques or some such name for it.

2) Research: about 2-3 turns in I thought it might have been better if tech development was a little bit more random and considered changing it to an Extended Test of sorts. Essentially 1% of your nations budget buys you a die to roll for gaining X technology, multiple die can be purchased of course. Each 5+ rolled is a success, and you would need 3-4 successes to gain that technology - so the average expenditure would still be roughly 9-12% of budget like it was here, but those successes needn't be in the same turn.
Optionally each neighbour of yours (within 1 jump range say) with a tech you don't have gives you a free die each turn to gain said technology to represent the slow spread of tech across the Inner Sphere. May also give a free die if every Great House except you has it.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1300 on: 13 February 2024, 06:27:37 »
In terms of mechanics, I believe the writing was both a heavy load and sometimes awkward for the GM.  An alternative approach: The GM determines which game events and battles take place (forces and location), then anyone nonconflicted can take up the challenge of determining the outcome and writing a story.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #1301 on: 13 February 2024, 10:22:23 »
Well, this thread is already in fan rules, so... ;D

It’s been a long week sorry lol.

What I meant to say was

‘Check out both threads: and consider moving the main thread for OOC stuff’

@Smegish

No need to apologize: we get it and you guys did a lot of great work and we thank you for it!

I like the tech idea, not necessarily sold on the SI idea but primarily that’s just because it means we have to double check everyone’s designs and hand write a bunch of numbers in… but that’s just my opinion and I’m down for whatever the majority would agree to.

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1302 on: 13 February 2024, 13:43:37 »
Yeah, I don't think that I am willing to try to change the mechanics of how Warships are built for this either.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III

FastConcentrate8

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1303 on: 13 February 2024, 14:00:04 »
Same here because I build my ships with MML (along with all my other Customs) so that works best for me.

Also it may brick a few designs modified or added from canon that I may yoink.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1304 on: 13 February 2024, 14:46:50 »
I liked the idea of having both a Ground and Naval forces.

And I know it is somewhat a headache, in both logistics and the overture outcomings. But if we did add both of these and the ability to colony thru force, I'm pretty sure it will be exciting.

By colony thru force, I mean literally show up with a fleet worth of colonists and settle a world thru an Enclave, like how the Clans do it. Forcing a small part of your planet with some of mine, and then claim it.

I can see a internal planetary civil war of sorts... as long as the local populace is still in contact with their OG Faction. Meaning you have to have to divert your resources to patrol the systems, or else loose them to strife and another faction gobbling them up like Pac-Man. (It would allow us more realism, and more resources to use, such as Ground units deployed at key locations.) As long as 1 system is contacted each turn (Assuming the base 10 year/turn), it should still be following the OG Faction, but if another Faction poaches it, either via JS or WS, it could be a ploy of conquest.

But it is an option I would like to explore, if any of you do too...

You know, options.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1305 on: 13 February 2024, 15:32:38 »
That seems like a lot more work to make function as opposed to colonies being largely abstracted, and especially when I am already planning on adding custom dropships and fighters to it if I run it, I don't know know if I can run that in a useful way as well.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #1306 on: 13 February 2024, 16:37:26 »
I don't have any clever suggestion on how to do run a game like this, but for the sake of the GM(s), I'd advise to go as easy on the rules as possible. If players have to do some light bookkeeping, that's perfectly fine. But for the GM, go with abstract and light rules. That goes for any (space) battles, too. Eyeballing the BV and composition of the rival fleets and taking any beneficial or adverse circumstances into account, then play it by ear.
Jude Melancon lives!

FastConcentrate8

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1307 on: 13 February 2024, 17:00:39 »
Another idea could be that the players get a choice of either a canon faction or can make their own within an open territory. After all, if we have factions from the future or the past it makes sense we could allow for factions that are original.

If anything they could shake up Geopolitics and add another layer to Nationstates Roleplay.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #1308 on: 13 February 2024, 17:21:14 »
For a further shakeup, could you instead choose a Clans changeup?

Post-KLONDIKE and Wolverines the war-exhausted SLDF-in-Exile is living in dire fear of whether the Wolverines made it back to the IS and might find their way back for revenge. Run through the Clans as they evolve, extinct, and rebuild themselves through the Golden and Political Centuries.
You start with a Clan and any NPC factions just get gobbled up due to a poor leadership.

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1309 on: 13 February 2024, 17:21:27 »
Well I'm happy to continue discussions here, I also made a new thread for people to specifically post there interest in, so I don't have to hunt through this old one for who wants to play what factions.

...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III