Author Topic: Mechanized Infantry as Support Vehicles  (Read 124 times)

AlphaMirage

• Major
Mechanized Infantry as Support Vehicles
« on: 03 March 2024, 22:05:47 »
Recent conversations about infantry had me interested to see how the canonical Mechanized and Motorized Infantry units might be as small support vehicles. So I decided to make them and see how different they are. As can be seen in the attached document Mechanized Armor is much faster and strikes harder than their original Mechanized Infantry counterparts in all cases. Armored Infantry still have all-terrain mobility, easier transportability (MechArmor can still only operate from Small Craft+), and superior armor but that is mostly a limit I put on the vehicles to make them operate similarly to their regular counterparts. There is still plenty of mass leftover to better protect these vehicles compared to how many weapons it is reasonable for them to mount.

Pintels weigh 5% (and cannot be used for 500Kg+ weapons) and Turrets 10% so I will propose a few good Battle Armor scale options to equip these new Mechanized Troops with. With them being basically small tanks their ability to put out firepower is much greater than an individual suit (although maybe not a whole squad vs one MechArmor). Even Motorized units can be Marauders causing havok against lightly armored opponents using Missile Launchers and Machine Guns. A suitably dug in heavy foot unit could still hold against them however so I consider that reasonable.

Not Using Ghosts of Obeedah Rules
Pintel Mounted Small Pulse Laser 420Kg
Pintel Mounted Dual Machine Gun with 50 Rounds (10Kg) 327Kg
Turret Mounted Extended Range Medium Laser or Medium Pulse with Coaxial Machine Gun 990Kg
Turret Mounted Triple Heavy Recoilless Rifles 1237.5Kg + 28 Rounds (112Kg) = 1349.5Kg
Turret Mounted LRM5 x 2, 660Kg + 10 Reloads (830Kg) = 1490Kg

Using Ghosts of Obeedah Rules
Turret Mounted Small/Small Pulse/Medium Laser +1 SHS = 1650Kg
Pintel Mounted Small/Small Pulse Laser + 1 SHS = 1575Kg
Turret Mounted ER Heavy (Pulse) Laser IS (Infantry Weapon) + 1 SHS = 1500Kg

DevianID

• Captain
Re: Mechanized Infantry as Support Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2024, 22:47:12 »
What are some weapons combo the 1.6ish tons free can come up with to keep the 1 ton cargo bay?  Using the existing small vee rules for infantry weapons, not battle armor weapons?  (Cause battle armor weapons are broken when mounted on not battle armor haha)

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Mechanized Infantry as Support Vehicles
« Reply #2 on: 03 March 2024, 23:09:14 »
What are some weapons combo the 1.6ish tons free can come up with to keep the 1 ton cargo bay?  Using the existing small vee rules for infantry weapons, not battle armor weapons?  (Cause battle armor weapons are broken when mounted on not battle armor haha)

Seems like you are mostly just limited to infantry scale (although you can use the largest weapons) if you want to keep a 1 ton infantry bay for a dismountable rifle squad. There are installed seats for the necessary 1 ton/trooper of a MechInf squad so it is rules legal for that many people to be in each vehicle already. The very large amount of dead weight is actually one of the things I hate about support vehicle construction rules as engine weights are way out of wack to what they would be on a larger vehicle.