Author Topic: Why did you pick your house  (Read 5800 times)

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
Re: Why did you pick your house
« Reply #30 on: 12 August 2020, 13:59:13 »
Got into the game, and two of the players already had stuff painted up for Steiner and Davion, and a third player was leaning toward the idea of fielding a Kurita force.  I decided to pick a suitable opponent, no matter who showed up, so I went with the Oberon Confederation, a former pirate group in the process of gradually becoming respectable, or at least less piratical.  That lasted until the introduction of the Clans, at which point the Oberon Confederation simply ceased to exist, having been directly in the way of the advance.  I eventually repainted a few of those 'Mechs.

My next option was to paint up a FWL force, which normally doesn't tangle with Davion or Kurita, but that can occasionally happen in the confused areas around Terra.  It was either that or Liao, and one occasional player had a 'Mech in something that he felt qualified as Liao colors, plus I didn't care for the way they were being portrayed in the literature.  Unfortunately, House Marik got pretty much ignored in most of the literature other than as a background character for everyone else's stories.  Then the Jihad put an end to that, with them fragmenting into a bunch of squabbling mini-states for the next few decades (real time, as well as in the game timeline).

I ended up painting a bunch or 'Mechs in Outworlds Alliance colors, which again came to a sudden stop when Clan Snow Raven showed up and merged with them into some seriously FUBAR union of Machiavellian connivers with Amish-style pacifists.

Now I mostly just paint up stuff in generic camo colors (although I did do a couple of Clan 'Mechs in their respective Clan colors as OPFOR), and typically play Mercenary units.  As said by a previous poster, the miniature is merely a token to represent the location and facing of the unit, and need not be exact, as long as both sides understand what it represents.  This isn't Games Workshop, where the GW Police will show up at your house with guns drawn to confiscate your illegally painted miniature.  Out of respect for other players, I try to at least use a miniature that either bears some vague resemblance to the unit being fielded, or that serves the same functional combat role, to make it easier to remember what it represents.  I don't field a Stinger as a stand-in for an Atlas or a Marauder, since they don't look anything alike and are functionally completely different, but I might put a Catapult on the table to represent a Trebuchet if my Trebuchet miniature is already being used, despite the visual differences, because they're both "missile boats".  A Vulture ("Mad Dog", for those of you who strayed onto the Clan Side) makes a reasonable proxy for a Marauder, if you don't have a Marauder (I do).

Renard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 12 August 2020, 14:29:03 »
I am going to lie and say Kurita since I didn't see anyone else say it.

For one, the Mauler is a great mini. They often field the Jenner, Panther, Dragon, Trebuchet, and a bunch of mechs with Shogun-looking armor and Japanese-sounding names that I don't own but look pretty cool. Red/black scheme or red/white.  Pretty cool tabletop presence.

In terms of lore, they started evil but Theodore turned it around a lot. Their storyline fighting the Bears is reasonably interesting, like the battle of Luthien. They're basically space samurai, but as will all Battletech factions, it's a cultural and not racial thing. Being ruthless within the boundaries of honor has some appeal.

Battletech is mostly a "shades of grey" universe though, and there aren't really restrictions on what mechs the different factions can use. If you want to be a good guy, go with Davion or Wolf; if you want to be a villain, go with Liao or Jade Falcon. Otherwise, just paint your unit olive drab and you fit in wherever you want.

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 12 August 2020, 14:36:03 »
It's Bob's fault.

I was reading all the Battletech fiction as it came out (starting with Decision at Thunder Rift) and generally a bit neutral in terms of thought.  Then came Heir to the Dragon.  Theodore was amazing, and managed to defeat the 'designated good guys' when they outnumbered him.  I've been a Kuritan fan ever since.

I also quite like light 'mechs, whether it be a swarm of fast ones, like Jenners, or a phalanx of heavily-armed ones like Panthers.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #33 on: 12 August 2020, 15:10:13 »
If a had to choose a House, Steiner.

Good color scheme, openly screwed up internal politics without being Saturday morning cartoon villains and thus avoiding the designated hero/villain tropes. Decent mech choices and units. They also employ allot of mercs who are my actual go to IS choice. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 12 August 2020, 16:20:41 »
  I chose mercenary to avoid House issues.

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #35 on: 12 August 2020, 17:17:44 »
I found a faction I really hated before I found one I loved. So when I found one who felt the same about Wolf's Dragoons it was the start of a long relationship.

Corky

• Private
« Reply #36 on: 13 August 2020, 09:28:22 »
Taurians because they are underdog fighting for their freedom scrappy types and very much follow and represent USA. Cold war with fed suns, invading the wrong country during the jihad etc.

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 13 August 2020, 10:35:03 »
Combine because I like Space Samurai.

Clan Smoke Jaguar because I like their direct, aggressive tactics (much like the Combine)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #38 on: 13 August 2020, 10:39:46 »
I picked Liao because the person who introduced me to the game gave me a capsule description of them as “They always lose.”  I figured I would get bonus bragging rights if I won Succession Wars using Liao.

I stayed with Liao because they retained an eagerness to fight their traditional enemies during a period when the differences between the other Great Houses were being papered over, shifting the focus almost exclusively onto Clan vs. Inner Sphere. 

Then 3057 came along and the Capellans have been on a hot streak ever since.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 13 August 2020, 10:40:51 »
I wonder if the Liao win streak is gonna end soon  ;D
Would make me like being a Liao again.

ArchonDan

• Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 13 August 2020, 11:15:34 »
  I chose mercenary to avoid House issues.

Haha, that is my position as well. I started with GDL novels and the life of a mercenary unit in the war torn future seem a lot more fun than house politics.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 13 August 2020, 11:18:28 »
Haha, that is my position as well. I started with GDL novels and the life of a mercenary unit in the war torn future seem a lot more fun than house politics.
  Yup, be a merc and have no qualms about killing anybody...no matter the faction.

Lboydmsw

• Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: 13 August 2020, 11:29:31 »
Kurita.  Under Takashi Kurita they were pretty solidly 'bad guys' but space samurai are cool.  But more importantly because it is one of the factions that truly changed and evolved over the course of the setting.  Theodore Kurita brought about of changes not only in military doctrine but in the over all culture.  Still a military dictatorship but not as conquest hungry and with a touch of humility after the clan invasion.  It really added depth and richness to the faction as a whole.  You also have the hard line traditionalist splinter faction (Black Dragon Society) trying to make power moves behind the scenes which added to some nice internal tensions and conflict. Hohiro Kurita maintained the combine in a good place for a long time.  They changed a lot over the life of the timeline but never had the obvious 'hero' slant some other factions got which makes them far more interesting in my opinion.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 13 August 2020, 11:43:24 »
Let's see...

Davion: big-chinned lily-white heroes.  Caleb only tarnished this a little bit.  Nope.
Rasalhague: stopped being a faction and got absorbed by the Ghost Bears.  Nope.
Kurita: for a time this was my faction of choice, but...then they became Victor's sidekicks.  Nope.
Steiner: Multiple Personality Disorder, but with only two settings: the fat kid who gets bullied and loses his lunch money (but is the heroe's sidekick whichever hero it is), or giggling drooling dumbass villainy.  No.  I know, I write a lot of fanfics featuring the Steiners, but not on the tabletop.  I can't...just can't.
Cappies: I have some sympathy here, really, I do.  This is a nation that has been eating a shit sandwich since 2767, and they aren't giving it up, but no.  too much 4 color villainy and even their wins feel like the prelude to a brutal loss.  Nawp. nope.

I guess that leaves either Mercs (who aren't my bag of bread really)...

Or The Free Worlds League!!

Yeah, I am a closet Leaguer.  well, semi-closeted.  The screwings they get don't feel deserved, and that's good, their mistakes make sense in the context of the neighbourhood they live in, their fractional nature sings to me, as does their cleverness with developing aerospace assets.  They've got the internal conflict without the four-color villainy (though they still have some four-color villains!), and they're not stuck in "Sidekicks of the hero" mode.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #44 on: 13 August 2020, 11:54:37 »
I wonder if the Liao win streak is gonna end soon  ;D
Would make me like being a Liao again.

Pretty sure Daoshen is a lock for ilKhan
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #45 on: 13 August 2020, 12:46:54 »
Kurita.  Under Takashi Kurita they were pretty solidly 'bad guys' but space samurai are cool.  But more importantly because it is one of the factions that truly changed and evolved over the course of the setting.  Theodore Kurita brought about of changes not only in military doctrine but in the over all culture.  Still a military dictatorship but not as conquest hungry and with a touch of humility after the clan invasion.  It really added depth and richness to the faction as a whole.  You also have the hard line traditionalist splinter faction (Black Dragon Society) trying to make power moves behind the scenes which added to some nice internal tensions and conflict. Hohiro Kurita maintained the combine in a good place for a long time.  They changed a lot over the life of the timeline but never had the obvious 'hero' slant some other factions got which makes them far more interesting in my opinion.

And by the Dark Age, all of that had gone away and the Combine was back to business as usual.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 13 August 2020, 13:16:05 »
Steiner: Multiple Personality Disorder

The Free Worlds League!!

... yes, because the FWL has always shouted consistent ;)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 13 August 2020, 13:32:38 »
... yes, because the FWL has always shouted consistent ;)

here's the point:

House Steiner is treated like they'er supposed to be consistent when they really, really aren't.

the FWL's whole "THEME" is their inconsistency.

(that, and the writers really haven't pigeonholed them into a fixed role yet, they're 'just enough there' to count as existing, but there's more freedom of movement when drafting campaigns and adventures.)

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 13 August 2020, 13:53:49 »
Chose Draconis Combine for hardware and Bushido code resolve . Permits kamikaze rams in aerospace if absolutely necessary ( Mira Borg ) . 3058 mechs and battle armor  . The Tunbo for battlefield salvage . Use DC and FWL mechs particularly the Dragonfire . First out with rediscovered  CASE , first w Angel ECM , first w Bloodhound probe . First out w C3 , maintains black box com network in case of Com Star interdiction. What is not to like .  The Japanese Aesthetic is not bad either.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 13 August 2020, 14:12:22 »
here's the point:

House Steiner is treated like they'er supposed to be consistent when they really, really aren't.

the FWL's whole "THEME" is their inconsistency.

(that, and the writers really haven't pigeonholed them into a fixed role yet, they're 'just enough there' to count as existing, but there's more freedom of movement when drafting campaigns and adventures.)

I honestly hate consistency when you are talking about the interstellar scale the Great House, they should be made up of different puzzle pieces from the vast nature of said states. Most Successor States are more deserve once you crack open the house books and IMO, it's criminal they are not portrayed as such from the word go.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #50 on: 13 August 2020, 16:20:17 »
Four bedrooms. 3.5 bathrooms, large kitchen and a large family room is why. Who could ask for more?

Dang it, you went there before I could.  I was going to answer, "Three bedrooms, two bath, decent kitchen and family room, lots of space for cars, and a decent size yard for a price that didn't break the bank in San Diego's insane housing market."  Because I'm a smart ass.  But I'm not the only one.

That was largely what got me interested in the Combine early back in the day, too.  And playing pre-Theodore Combine forces counter to type was fun, too.

Also, the Slayer is the most realistic-looking aerospace fighter in the game, and the Combine still made Stinger LAMs.  So from a hardware perspective that was cool, too.

*grumbles in Explorer Corps*

No kidding, right?

I love the oddball factions that aren't necessarily militaristic per se, but live in a universe that kind of forces them to be, like Explorer Corps, the Niops Association, Shady Palms, or Interstellar Expeditions.

Explorer Corps was a great example: yes, they were formed in no small part in order to find the Exodus Fleet, but they did far more in terms of research and exploration, something that had largely fallen by the wayside.  They were like the part of ComStar that wasn't really all evil behind the scenes back in the day.

That's also part of what appealed to me about the Niops Association:  they're a tiny astronomical research colony out in the middle of nowhere that managed for the longest time to hold onto their technological advancement, and while they had their own equality issues early on after taking in Succession Wars refugees, seemed to have gotten their crap together, didn't go for banditry or conquest like Circinus or the Marians, and overall seemed to be one of the least awful factions at the time.  I also discovered them after floating around a couple of non-canon planets on my own, both of which strongly resembled them to one degree or another.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #51 on: 13 August 2020, 18:32:16 »
Dang it, you went there before I could.  I was going to answer, "Three bedrooms, two bath, decent kitchen and family room, lots of space for cars, and a decent size yard for a price that didn't break the bank in San Diego's insane housing market."  Because I'm a smart ass.  But I'm not the only one.

Now I want to make a joke about the Great Condominiums of the Inner Sphere. But just attend an association board meeting and you'll see that's either the Free Worlds League, or the FedCom during the Civil War.

I always liked Kurita for all the usual reasons. But I also liked the Nova Cats ever since their writeup in Invading Clans, which ended with the intriguing hint that they might hook up with the Combine. That obviously ended about as badly as possible, which leaves me conflicted and broken-hearted.

Highball

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #52 on: 13 August 2020, 20:13:39 »
I chose Davion. I am a WW2 buff and had read lots of books on combined arms tactics so they fit right in with my learnings.
Marshal Russell Trest Oberlan. "War to the sword ..... the sword to the hilt!"

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #53 on: 13 August 2020, 20:39:42 »
I am all in on the Fed Suns.  This was due to reading something about the Kentares Massacre in my early days of BT.  That gave me an instant dislike for the Combine and I went full Suns after that (still dislike the Cappies more so).  I have soft spots for the Commonwealth and FWL as well, but Davion is my main stay.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: 14 August 2020, 04:26:55 »
During my first exposure to BattleTech in the late 90s, I gravitated towards Liao and Kurita due to Charette's novels and a very idealistic teenage attraction to totalitarian cultures that priotised the good of the many over the individual.

Today, Steiner would come first. Partly due to the Celtic portion of their ethnic and cultural makeup. Partly because the Steiners ensure their people have butter as well as guns and are socially liberal. Partly because we may shortly see my equal-favourite Clan merge with them into a bigger version of the Rasalhague Dominion. Finally, because clumsy walls of steel and "just keeping hammering at the problem till it's flattened" is the only tactic I'm capable of carrying out ;D

Didn't think much of Marik either way for a long time, until early 2015 when I read the MW:DA novels about the sundered League. Since then they've become my second-favourite House, purely due to the more interesting diversity of the FWL's constituent parts - unlike the other four, the FWL isn't dominated by one European or Asian culture.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #55 on: 14 August 2020, 08:47:49 »
I've never bothered with House colours. I pretty much always play small merc units so I paint my 'mechs however I feel like on the day I had the paints out. I'm a pretty lousy painter, so it's not like they're going to look impressive anyway.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
« Reply #56 on: 14 August 2020, 09:25:54 »
I was introduced to the game through the cartoon show, so I naturally gravitated toward the Federated Commonwealth. Then I go into the clicky game with my best friend and started running Swordsworn, not realizing their connection to the Federated Suns until much later. I really didn't know the lore, I just liked the robots and their blue-green color scheme; I also had a large number of them in my starter set and early booster packs. Once I really started to dive into the setting, House Davion naturally became my favorite house. The novels definitely helped in that regard.

Oddly, the Combine is a very close second pick. My dad was a fan of the Draconis Combine, since that was his faction back when he played Multiplayer BattleTech--still can’t imagine playing a modification of MechWarrior 1. Meanwhile, my best friend loved the Dragon's Fury faction in ClickyTech. Throw in that dad had the sourcebook for the Combine, which I ended up reading after years of seeing it on the shelf, and I ended up picking them as a second faction. Which, as you might expect, has led to some conflicted feelings in the current timeline!

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #57 on: 14 August 2020, 10:22:23 »
I picked House Steiner when I was eight or nine? They were blue. Also Clan Wolf because they are the good guys and Wolves are totally sick!

So.... now It's the Free Worlds League because they are interesting and diverse and Clan Sea Fox because Foxes are totally sick.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #58 on: 14 August 2020, 11:18:57 »
Free Worlds Leaguer here.

Was introduced to the game via the 2nd Edition Box set and right from the start, Davion's position as the designated white-hat hero faction immediately repulsed me to the point I still find difficulty taking the House seriously almost a good 30 years later. Liao was a strong contender, but it still struggles with the original Fu Machu-esque caricature of being the Russian/Chinese proxy for the 'Good' guys to beat up (some of the early portrayals were admittedly uncomfortable for an Asian of Chinese descent).

Marik just somehow spoke to me in a strange iconoclastic way.
There was something ultimately deeply charming about a federation whose member states hated each other, which practiced democracy in a deeply flawed fashion and whose cultural expressions and regional identity were not presented as secondary to their superstate. It's fascination with combined arms doctrine, fast raiding and eclectic selection of chassis was love at first sight, even if the developers if the time seemed outright determined to ignore the faction as a whole.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #59 on: 14 August 2020, 11:38:56 »
Marik needs some love.
I spent the longest time thinking the great houses were Davion, Kurita, Steiner, and Liao.  Really Even Liao doesn't seem to get as much attention, but they're at least still there.

Register