Author Topic: Misjump Question  (Read 3039 times)

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
Misjump Question
« on: 05 June 2020, 10:35:34 »
While co-running the Warship Arms Race game I thought had occurred to me and I haven't found any good information about it so I figured I'd throw it out to the community.

I know that jumping IN to a place you can't jump to ends badly for the incoming ship - either arriving as a crushed piece of barely recognisable metal (that may explode soon after arrival) or not arriving at all, but what about trying to jump OUT of a place you cant jump? Safeties would normally prevent this of course but assuming those had been circumvented for whatever reason, what would happen?

Possibilities I came up with:

Option #1: Nothing.
Option #2: KF-Drive has a coronary, eats itself and the ship is most likely crippled and not going anywhere any time soon.
Option #3: The attempt destroys the ship at the point of departure, whether this is a explosive disassembly or just turning into a chunk of useless metal may vary.
Option #4: It vanishes from the point of departure, but if it turns up anywhere it again either suffers a Critical Existence Failure and explodes, or arrives as a chunk of steel and germanium.
Option #5: Something else??

I'm assuming the crew is doing it on purpose, either praying it works and they escape or in an attempt take an enemy with them to Valhalla.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Misjump Question
« Reply #1 on: 05 June 2020, 10:58:48 »
While co-running the Warship Arms Race game I thought had occurred to me and I haven't found any good information about it so I figured I'd throw it out to the community.

I know that jumping IN to a place you can't jump to ends badly for the incoming ship - either arriving as a crushed piece of barely recognisable metal (that may explode soon after arrival) or not arriving at all, but what about trying to jump OUT of a place you cant jump? Safeties would normally prevent this of course but assuming those had been circumvented for whatever reason, what would happen?

Possibilities I came up with:

Option #1: Nothing.
Option #2: KF-Drive has a coronary, eats itself and the ship is most likely crippled and not going anywhere any time soon.
Option #3: The attempt destroys the ship at the point of departure, whether this is a explosive disassembly or just turning into a chunk of useless metal may vary.
Option #4: It vanishes from the point of departure, but if it turns up anywhere it again either suffers a Critical Existence Failure and explodes, or arrives as a chunk of steel and germanium.
Option #5: Something else??

I'm assuming the crew is doing it on purpose, either praying it works and they escape or in an attempt take an enemy with them to Valhalla.

you need at least 12 options, that way you can run it on 2D6 or 1D12.

Option #5: Ship is out of play for 2D10 decades, arriving at the destination years later.
Option #6: Overjump.  Ship erupts from Hyperspace 2D10x104 light years out from the targeted location. (Roll 1D6 and use options 1-6 for secondary effects)
Option #7: Random Emergence, make a check to see how many crew survived, also make a check of the survivors for mental instability/insanity.
Option #8: Target emergence, 50% crew fatalities, random ship damage.
Option #9: underjump-plot a line along the planned route, ship emerges in-system with severe damage.
Option #10: Target Emergence, 75% crew casualties, ship rendered inoperable.
Option #11: Target Emergence, no damage.
Option #12: Target Emergence, 2D6 minutes earlier than departure time.  (on a roll of 12, add 2D6 minutes, repeat as necessary up to 4 hours early), minor Structural damage to the ship, to include loss of up to 75% of armor, sensor, and weapons systems.  100% chance your nav officer will experience mind-altering phenomena.
Option #7:
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 05 June 2020, 11:11:43 »
The KF drive can't form a KF field within a gravity well. My bet is that nothing happens.
If you force it past the safeties, my secondary bet is that a incomplete KF bubble forms, "jumping" the ship either not at all (no jump) or in place (jump to your current position), mangling the ship in the process.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 05 June 2020, 15:49:00 »
The KF drive can't form a KF field within a gravity well. My bet is that nothing happens.
If you force it past the safeties, my secondary bet is that a incomplete KF bubble forms, "jumping" the ship either not at all (no jump) or in place (jump to your current position), mangling the ship in the process.

you only need the gravity-neutral point to exist LONG ENOUGH to form the bubble.  meaning that if someone thought they were clever, they could get into all sorts of trouble chasing shorter and shorter duration points.

Existing nonstandard points are modeled as 'pirate points' but everything in space has gravity, and when you've got two gravity fields, there's a point where you have a sort of 'mini lagrange'...but the size/duration are going to be shorter/smaller.

In essence, in theory, a given star system could have hundreds or even thousands of short-duration points JUST big enough that some fool will think he can use t, and small enough you have to disengage the safeties to even try.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2020, 15:51:40 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 05 June 2020, 15:54:16 »
LaGrange points include the effects of orbital velocity... you really want to say "null gravity".

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 05 June 2020, 15:58:09 »
you need at least 12 options, that way you can run it on 2D6 or 1D12.

Technically, 2D6 is 11 options, but that's splitting hairs.

Option #5: Ship is out of play for 2D10 decades, arriving at the destination years later.
Option #6: Overjump.  Ship erupts from Hyperspace 2D10x104 light years out from the targeted location. (Roll 1D6 and use options 1-6 for secondary effects)
Option #7: Random Emergence, make a check to see how many crew survived, also make a check of the survivors for mental instability/insanity.
Option #8: Target emergence, 50% crew fatalities, random ship damage.
Option #9: underjump-plot a line along the planned route, ship emerges in-system with severe damage.
Option #10: Target Emergence, 75% crew casualties, ship rendered inoperable.
Option #11: Target Emergence, no damage.
Option #12: Target Emergence, 2D6 minutes earlier than departure time.  (on a roll of 12, add 2D6 minutes, repeat as necessary up to 4 hours early), minor Structural damage to the ship, to include loss of up to 75% of armor, sensor, and weapons systems.  100% chance your nav officer will experience mind-altering phenomena.

There's also the Event Horizon/Lost Dutchman or Beast scenarios.

Event Horizon/Lost Dutchman: Ship arrives intact, but all the crew are completely gone.  No to little evidence as to why they are actually gone.

Beast: Ship is infected with a techno-organic virus which converts the ship and crew in to one being, then seeks to "eat" any organics which come on board and convert other ships to be like itself.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #6 on: 08 June 2020, 11:44:03 »

Look up what happened when a Fox corvette tried to jump out as a attack on the cruiser it could not defeat . . . the core was ripped from the cruiser but the look at what happened to the Fox and the bubble itself was 'freaky' in what folks saw.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2020, 14:18:23 »
Traveller provides the following options:

1. Jump in a random direction for a random distance
2. Ship destroyed
3. Damage to the ship

The Traveller random jump is to locationss within 117 Light Years, 6 times the normal 6 parsec maximum range of a Traveller Jump, and may damage the ship as well. I'd do 1d10*1d10 light years for distance in BattleTech, or just choose a system, and have the captain and astrogator determine where they are. Also, it can mess up the time. There old adventure "Living Legends" did feature a misjump through time.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2020, 15:13:38 »

Those would be my votes.

LaGrange points include the effects of orbital velocity... you really want to say "null gravity".

Yep. Hence only a spot somewhat near an L1 point is valid, not the other LaGrange points.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 14 June 2020, 15:31:17 »
Thanks for weighing in Cray!  :thumbsup:

General308

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 14 June 2020, 18:46:27 »
You loss your charge and nothing happens.  Jump whip now has to recharge and get to a jump point before jumping.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 15 June 2020, 05:36:31 »
The ships arrives heavily damaged at Kaetetôã, the Tetatae homeworld.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 16 June 2020, 00:06:26 »
Technically, 2D6 is 11 options, but that's splitting hairs.

There's also the Event Horizon/Lost Dutchman or Beast scenarios.

Event Horizon/Lost Dutchman: Ship arrives intact, but all the crew are completely gone.  No to little evidence as to why they are actually gone.

Beast: Ship is infected with a techno-organic virus which converts the ship and crew in to one being, then seeks to "eat" any organics which come on board and convert other ships to be like itself.
Or you know...ship arrives with humongous bite marks.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 16 June 2020, 02:46:17 »
Or you know...ship arrives with humongous bite marks.

Well, there's always a bigger fish, eh?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 16 June 2020, 07:15:10 »
Well, there's always a bigger fish, eh?

You're gonna need a bigger boat.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #15 on: 16 June 2020, 09:40:12 »
IIRC . . . the Fox that jumped out too close to Katherine's Avalon class cruiser over New Avalon was never found . . . at least the majority of the hull that jumped or the part of the Avalon it took with it.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 18 July 2020, 20:39:05 »
I have a new question which I thought I'd throw in this thread for the experts to cover referring to Emergence Waves.

So we know that a big ship pumps out a bigger wave than a small one all other things being equal, and for 'reasons' a ship with more collars makes a bigger wave than another ship the same size with fewer collars - regardless of whether those collars are carrying anything - but a thought occured to me.

Would the emergence waves of multiple ships arriving more or less together in a tight formation merge together to make one big wave? Would ten 240kt ships with two collars each make a similar wave to a Lev III?

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #17 on: 19 July 2020, 02:17:11 »
In the Wars of Reaving book we get a good description of what happens when a KF field field goes kablooey. The Coyote Texas class battleship Ancestral Home fires her KF core up and tried to jump with an already damaged core next to a Leviathan II class Battleship.

The Ancestral Home implodes and is crushed by the failure of the jump and the front half of the Leviathan II is ripped off and then flattened 'as the hyperwave collapsed in on itself.'

WHilst this was a nat 1 roll here, it was also deliberate and this is a BAD END.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/