Author Topic: Something on the horizon  (Read 47645 times)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: Something on the horizon
« Reply #90 on: 30 August 2019, 11:01:07 »

Well that cover art really set a new standard.  8) :thumbsup:
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #91 on: 30 August 2019, 17:48:07 »
We need to talk, marauder.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #92 on: 30 August 2019, 18:40:24 »
Nice!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #93 on: 30 August 2019, 18:56:19 »
Is plog still making canon art for battletech? You get more use out of him than CGL does!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #94 on: 31 August 2019, 03:49:32 »
Is plog still making canon art for battletech? You get more use out of him than CGL does!

Heh oddly enough, my fan project is small change to the one he's working on for a friend of mine :p I've got 12 more pics and then i'm done but Mr Plog's taking a break at moment so any art will be delayed and this book probably won't be ready before 2020 but I'm no worried :)
« Last Edit: 31 August 2019, 07:32:37 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #95 on: 31 August 2019, 05:49:56 »
Healing??  What happened?  :o

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #96 on: 31 August 2019, 07:32:54 »
What happened?  :o

He's taking a break is all.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #97 on: 31 August 2019, 08:08:29 »
Oh good... I was worried it was something like what happened to Rich Burlew a few years ago where he had a serious hand injury that impeded his ability to draw.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #98 on: 05 September 2019, 14:15:59 »
Great project. Props for keeping it going/funded.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #99 on: 17 September 2019, 09:17:04 »
Breaking the Star

Khan Darwin Lassenerra kept his face impassive as the Merchant Factor droned on, listing the damage done, predicted shortfalls, supply levels of ammunition and parts. It was, in short, a disaster. Tokasha had fallen, and then the Bears, enraged at the death of their beloved Khan, had followed up with an assault on the Horses’ Niles factory barely a week later. While that Trial had been successful, the fighting had ‘accidentally’ spilled over into the factory complex itself, resulting in heavy damage as the two sides fought without regard for quarter or mercy for the better part of two days, until mutual exhaustion had separated them, and the Bears had finally fallen back.

“So, in short, my Khan, we are down to twenty-five percent production capability for 'Mechs and their parts. With salvage from Niles, we should be able to rebuild Alpha Galaxy to its nominal strength. Beyond that, any plans for expansion in the future will have to be severely reduced and, even though it pains me to say this, we strongly suggest that future military operations be curtailed. Replacing losses is going to be hard. We estimate eight months before Niles is fully operational again and this will only bring us up to forty percent of our previous production levels. This will allow us to sustain production for any losses sustained and unless we are involved in battles on the scale of Niles or Tokasha, we should be able to produce enough 'Mechs to not only sustain current loss projections but exceed them and start rebuilding.”
“And how long do you believe this will take? And please, be honest, we must be honest with ourselves in this time of crisis.”

The Merchant Factor glanced at the Clan’s Chief Scientist who sat to his right and she nodded slightly. “The damage to the Niles facility is extensive. If the fighting there was accidental, the Bears knew where to hit. It will be at least eighteen months before we can begin to match our previous loss and repair rates. To build a new facility to match those we lost, five years, and this is assuming a steady supply chain and no other Clan declaring a Trial for our facilities.”

There were gasps and muttering from the people assembled in the room. At least five years of ‘marking time’ before any major rebuilding could be done: it was unthinkable. If other Clans learned of their weakness, the Horses could expect a flurry of Trials that would bleed their touman dry, opening them up to the threat of Absorption.
Khan Darwin held up a hand, his face set, betraying none of the concern he felt.

“Silence! We need answers, not anger. We cannot let our passions dictate our actions, not now. So…solutions?”
“We should charge the Bears with wantonly attacking our factory during the Trial on Niles. They deliberately attacked the facility and caused excessive damage in a direct attack.”
“We have no evidence of that. They said our forces pulled them into the factory and the BattleROMs from our 'Mechs and those we have salvaged from the Bears corroborate both our point of view and theirs. They could declare a Trial of Refusal against us.” What was left unsaid was that a Trial of Refusal of such a charge could escalate until the Horses could not win. The Khan watched his two most senior Galaxy Commanders argue their points, but he saw only ruin in either approach.

“Neg, we need to rebuild. If the other Clans know of our current state, then we will face Trial after Trial and it will lock us into a degenerative spiral that we might never recover from. And I will not see our Clan be Absorbed. That is not our future. SaKhan Yana Fletcher, your thoughts?”

The younger man gathered his thoughts. He’d gotten the reputation of being quite radical and one who refused to let the Horses abandon their traditional combined arms approach.
“We cannot build enough 'Mechs and we must devote our resources to rebuilding, so our ability to trade for them will be limited. So, we take the obvious step: more vehicles.”
“More? We had begun winding down vehicle production and..”
“Now we need them more than ever. We simply cannot sit around for five years in our current state. We need equipment and we need it now. Tanks consume fewer resources and are easier to run. Correct, Chief Scientist?”

She looked up and nodded “Aff, SaKhan, even a hundred-ton tank would use the resources of a heavy OmniMech. And while Galaxy Commander Vincent Anu is correct, we had begun winding down vehicle production due to the success of the Tokasha works, it would be a simple task to reactivate our vehicle facilities and to restore them to production.”

Fletcher smiled “So we can produce our own equipment again: will this negatively affect our rebuilding efforts?”
“We might have to divert some resources, but only in the short term; in the long term it might impose a few months delay in upgrading the Niles Industriplex, but these facilities are secure and can be brought online in a matter of weeks.”

“But you said yourself that most of our current vehicles are of little use outside of garrison work, quiaff?” Galaxy Commander Tina Neely said, meeting Fletcher’s eyes.
“Aff. But in the short term, they will suffice; that said, new vehicles based on current and older marks could be developed and put into production.”
“And who will help us with this?”
“The Coyotes. Scientists speak loudly in their halls and would listen to us. We have good relations with them. So, we trade our designs for their assistance. We offer to share the designs with them freely, in return for trade concessions to help us build facilities needed to produce any new vehicles. We have the manpower. Our sibkos are still on schedule and we risk having hundreds of trained warriors sitting around waiting for 'Mechs. So, let us give them tanks. We alter our training to include a major focus on vehicle combat: the teamwork we emphasise will help gel the crews together and should not adversely affect unit cohesion.”

“A big ask…some may well refuse.”

“Then they will have to fight for what they want. And rise or fall on their own merits. But, my Khan, my brothers and sisters, we cannot have any wild colts trying to ‘show us the way’. The Herd will have to move as one if we are to survive the coming years.”

Backed by the Khan and with the consent of the Galaxy Commander’s, saKhan Yana Fletcher’s Project Zhukov was approved and within days the Horses and Coyotes were speaking as the Technician caste went to work on reactivating the facilities that had been put into standby mode. It was estimated that it would take six months to crank up production and then the first new vehicles were expected to be undergoing testing and be pressed into production. All the Horses had to do was survive for eight months. And keep as low a profile as possible. With the Bears spent from the great battles at Niles and Tokasha, one threat withdrew to lick its wounds, but other Clans could smell blood in the water and started to circle.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #100 on: 17 September 2019, 10:08:25 »
What year is this set?  Golden Century?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #101 on: 17 September 2019, 10:15:36 »
What year is this set?  Golden Century?

Yep, 2921, shortly after the battle of Tokasha, thats when the changes start.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #102 on: 17 September 2019, 11:23:58 »
Very nice marauder648!

Would contracting their forces to other Clans help? The Horses could become the mercenary Clan if so. Diamond Shark involvement there would be neat.

Perhaps dealing with other desperate Clans like Burrock would be another side affect?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #103 on: 17 September 2019, 13:21:32 »
Great writing, it really pulled me in.
Just one minor note:

even a hundred-ton tank would use the resources of a heavy OmniMech
Did you mean would not?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #104 on: 17 September 2019, 14:53:13 »
Great writing, it really pulled me in.
Just one minor note:
Did you mean would not?

Ooh well spotted!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #105 on: 29 September 2019, 02:05:44 »
To: Command.

Sir,

I am sorry this report has taken so long to get updated, it seems that the Horses Watch is quite competent and communications were delayed to avoid risk of detection. But, we have not let this dissuade us and have managed to insert data recorders into Niles Test Facility 03 and this is the latest low resolution images we have obtained.

Further updates to follow.

X

(and as always, thoughts and comments are most welcome!)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #106 on: 29 September 2019, 03:48:18 »

The VTOL looks like a BT version of a Hind, so it harrasses at range and then swoops in to finish the enemy with SRM-6s?

The other looks like an Urbantank, does it carry infantry also?

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #107 on: 29 September 2019, 06:29:57 »
Very nice!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #108 on: 29 September 2019, 09:06:51 »
The Horses Watch must have been horsing around letting these reports updates slide by the wayside.
Love the wheeled tank!

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #109 on: 29 September 2019, 15:29:21 »
both sketches look great, always liked a good vtol in BT
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #110 on: 01 October 2019, 14:14:00 »
Time for me to get "BACK TO WORK!"  :drool:

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #111 on: 26 October 2019, 00:30:33 »
My Khan,

Ongoing testing has proven successful and once the issue with the final drive train is resolved production can begin immediately.

We are still having ongoing issues with electronic systems integration with this vehicle, the chassis and weapons systems perform well and Scientist Edward assures us that the debugging of the electronics will be completed within the next few weeks.

We also have very positive feedback from flight testing, the adjustments to the controls surfaces have eliminated the unexpected tail flutter and stability issues at high altitude.

And as always thoughts/comments are most welcome!
« Last Edit: 26 October 2019, 03:37:22 by marauder648 »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #112 on: 26 October 2019, 03:27:09 »

That is one mean engineering vehicle.  :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #113 on: 26 October 2019, 08:21:06 »
Indeed, but I think the gun barrel is a little long for a digging arm with that many degrees of freedom.  It looks like it could interfere.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #114 on: 26 October 2019, 14:58:51 »
That is one beautiful Omni (?) Fighter...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #115 on: 26 October 2019, 15:17:38 »
I think so (judging by the size of the cockpit), but if those are supposed to be autocannons in the nose, I question the utility of the vents near the muzzle.  They would be unpredictable thrust vectors when firing...

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #116 on: 26 October 2019, 18:10:48 »
That fighter is amazing looking. At the risk of losing friends I think it'd make a snazzy LAM pretty easily.
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #117 on: 26 October 2019, 19:47:47 »
That wheeled scout tank reminded me of a modernised version of the infamous HNT-3R Hunter Assault Tank! Nice.
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #118 on: 26 October 2019, 21:09:08 »
That is one mean engineering vehicle.  :thumbsup:

where's a like button when you need one?

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #119 on: 27 October 2019, 09:36:37 »
Fighter looks awesome!

Register