Author Topic: Marik Militia Lance  (Read 1682 times)

Nips

• Sergeant
Marik Militia Lance
« on: 21 May 2019, 14:46:11 »
Another lance in the can!  This time it's from the Marik Militia, with its absolutely correct and best choice of a purple base color.

Everything's stock, except the BattleMaster that's a 5M model inspired by Savage Coyote's 1st Regulan Hussars CSO model.  Though saying "stock", I'm never sure what variant the Plastech Locust is supposed to represent...

This was such a weird lance to paint, for so many reasons.  I got it done in like, less than two weeks, which is absolutely a land-speed record for me.  The real reason it was weird though, was how it got there:
1. Airbrush VSP White.  As usual, it had perfect coverage.  Then things got wacky.
2. I was gifted a set of Minitaire Ghost Tints for Christmas, and this was my first time really putting them through their paces.  I wanted to use the Purple for my base color, and for some reason when it was coming out of my airbrush it was only hitting the high edges and panels of the miniatures; it simply refused to blow into the crevices and panel lines without really overdoing it.  So, after a couple of passes at it, I called it sufficient, even though there was barely any coverage in the creases.  And then I got another bright idea.
3. I used some purple Adirondack Craft Ink I had as an all-over wash.  It's got a beautiful purple tint, but when it thins it has a strange orange tint to it.  Then, because the base coat of Ghost Tint was uneven, the combination of the two had an even weirder uneveness.  Like, dark purple in places, and a bright orange-pink in some other places.
4. Also, that made the figures hyper glossy, which I wasn't expecting.  No big deal, as I hit everything with Dullcote at the end anyway over two coats of Gloss Varnish.

In the end, after detailing and topcoats, the color looks super fantastic to me.  I'm just afraid I'll never be able to replicate it precisely again!

More pics over at the Imgur post!

Side by side with a 'Mech from my last purple group; I really like the saturation of the purple on the right, but the purple on the left was so much faster, and the drybrushing makes the details pop way nicer.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering what the hell's up with that basing: I'm calling it "yellow poppies".  It's a Woodland Scenics floral cover; I tried it out as an experiment, figuring it'd compliment the purple of the 'Mechs.
Proud Paper-Pusher of the Oosik Irregulars

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
Re: Marik Militia Lance
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2019, 15:24:07 »
 :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2019, 16:27:03 »
Honestly, I like the purple on the Awesome far more than the Battlemaster, but I'm not the one doing the painting... :)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2019, 18:26:09 »
Nice job
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2019, 14:44:05 »
 :thumbsup:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2019, 15:16:05 »
They're all good - the Grapes of Wrath know many shades of victory! ;)

Reproducability of a paintjob is one of my particular bugbears, so I feel your concern. The Plastech Locust is copying the Crusher Joe "Ostall" which had 3 muzzles per arm; there's never been a canon variant to suit.

Just a thought - find some little pebbles/rock chips. Glue one to each base before flocking. Might add a nice touch of contrast.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ArchonDan

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2019, 15:55:05 »
Nice job! 8)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2019, 22:38:28 »
They look good to me. :thumbsup: 8)  Like the mod on the Battlemaster.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2019, 10:04:01 »
Just a thought - find some little pebbles/rock chips. Glue one to each base before flocking. Might add a nice touch of contrast.

Seconding this- since it's already on the base though, GF9's grass makes for handy bushes if you want some contrast as well. Put a small drop of Elmer's Glue on the base (over the current yellow stuff), or as many bushes as you'd like, then immerse the base in the grass- either by dumping it over the base until it's fully covered, or preferably by putting the base into the grass container completely if you have room. (I like to use the plastic blister the miniature came in for this purpose). Let it sit overnight, and when you pull the miniature out and shake off the excess grass the drying glue pulls in on itself- bringing with it handy looking little desert shrubbery. I regularly use it on sand and snow terrain.

I really like how your purple turned out- the Awesome is more my style, but I do like the bold color here. With the Marik Militia being all about visibility (no question who's come knocking when they're all wearing purple like that!), the bold color is probably more what they'd look to do.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2019, 05:18:05 »
Sweet! :thumbsup: