Author Topic: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread  (Read 181133 times)

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
Re: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread
« Reply #570 on: 09 March 2021, 15:49:59 »
Well, there's one Niops Kickstarter character in the ilClan era so maybe we'll get killed off on-screen in a sufficiently glorious fashion.

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #571 on: 10 March 2021, 01:51:00 »
Niops will probably become Canopian or neoFWL chow

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #572 on: 10 March 2021, 03:02:52 »
I guess I very much look at it from an out of Universe perspective.

Since details are slim, the developers can chose how well Niops recovers or overcomes their challanges. I know Ray wants to simplify the faction situation. Which is understandable, but If you are gonna kill it, then kill it like Circinius and put it out of its misery, but if they are going to keep it on the map, it should be something more than a has been rando periphery state.

I suspect, given the ties with Interstellar Expeditions in the late Republic and the Dark Age era, that the next time we'll really hear anything in detail from Niops will probably come around the same time we hear more from them, ie. in a product along the lines of the Interstellar Players sourcebooks, or maybe even a Touring the Stars from the perspective of a joint ISP/Niops expedition to a lost world.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #573 on: 11 March 2021, 01:57:56 »
IE will probably be folded into a new SLDF Explorer Corps. Alaric will not allow it to continue its independence.

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #574 on: 11 March 2021, 11:29:27 »
IE will probably be folded into a new SLDF Explorer Corps. Alaric will not allow it to continue its independence.

I honestly don't think he'll care. The only thing outside of the Inner Sphere he might be interested in is the Homeworlds, and he already knows where those are and he also knows it's not worth poking at them. Anything else outside of the Inner Sphere falls way, way down the list of things to be concerned about.

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #575 on: 12 March 2021, 09:16:38 »
As he's so conscious about resurrecting the Star League, he will clamp down on powerful independents like IE and the Great Houses. Besides, IE being an NGO superpower in a universe like BT is IMHO unrealistic.

pat_hdx

• Sergeant
« Reply #576 on: 12 March 2021, 19:02:12 »
As he's so conscious about resurrecting the Star League, he will clamp down on powerful independents like IE and the Great Houses. Besides, IE being an NGO superpower in a universe like BT is IMHO unrealistic.

Aren't most of IE's assets bordering the periphery?  Isn't there princiapl HQ in Lyran Space? Even if Alaric can get to some of the leadership, big chunks of IE can simply choose to break of and operate in practice independently if they feel their central leadership has a gun to their heads.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #577 on: 13 March 2021, 04:59:56 »
I don't think they will get away with this as the Lyrans will not risk Alaric's wrath just to harbour a powerful independent organization.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #578 on: 13 March 2021, 17:59:10 »
Do we see any indications that the Wolves will, somehow, do what the Word of Blake couldn't even do with WMD and bring all the Houses to heel?

Is there any indication that, even if the Houses willingly join a third Star League run by Alaric and his Wolves, they'll willingly suborn their science, research and educational systems to the Clan caste system?

Both of those seem like a stretch, and either would be required for the universities and independent Periphery powers that back Interstellar Expeditions to suborn them completely.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #579 on: 13 March 2021, 19:42:47 »
Do we see any indications that the Wolves will, somehow, do what the Word of Blake couldn't even do with WMD and bring all the Houses to heel?

Is there any indication that, even if the Houses willingly join a third Star League run by Alaric and his Wolves, they'll willingly suborn their science, research and educational systems to the Clan caste system?

Both of those seem like a stretch, and either would be required for the universities and independent Periphery powers that back Interstellar Expeditions to suborn them completely.

Other than them being the favorites no real indication. There seems to have been a fair amount of trepidation from some factions in doing something to anger them from Hour of the Wolf.

NCKestrel’s new favorite.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #580 on: 15 March 2021, 02:15:25 »

From Hour of The Wolf, Stone hardened Alaric's idealism by implying he would have to force every other faction to submit for his Clan-dominated Star League to work. After he's done with the Hell's Horses, Liao, Kurita and any other stubborn Great House, he'll be looking at the Periphery, Homeworlds and strong independents like IE.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #581 on: 15 March 2021, 18:33:03 »
That's assuming he's successful in doing what literally nobody else has been able to do in the history of the Battletech universe, though, and conquoring everyone else. That seems...unlikely.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #582 on: 15 March 2021, 22:17:22 »
That's assuming he's successful in doing what literally nobody else has been able to do in the history of the Battletech universe, though, and conquoring everyone else. That seems...unlikely.

I think we are going a little off-topic here, But, i think Alaric have a good chance of, while not "conquering" the whole IS and Periphery, putting a good deal of it under its authority.  From the last part of Hour of the Wolf, have a LOT of negotiation with the Ravens, Bears and Sharks, but if he manages to get those in-line, i think he had a hood chance of putting down the three most direct threats to his rulership, the CC-MoC, the DC and CHH. I think the first one going down will be the CHH, and the DC is both at the brink of logistical exhaustation and a brewing Civil War. So the main fight will be against the CC. At this point neither the LC (in a sorry state), the FS (in a worse state i think) nor the FWL (still getting on their feets and with some Shark and NC influence there) can face Alaric, not even the 3 togheter.

Now trying to get back on-topic. Will Alaric as the IlKhan, be able to subjugate both IE and Niops to the will of his new Star League? Probably. But not in the short run. Not even in the middle run.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #583 on: 16 March 2021, 02:19:37 »
I think we are going a little off-topic here, But, i think Alaric have a good chance of, while not "conquering" the whole IS and Periphery, putting a good deal of it under its authority.  From the last part of Hour of the Wolf, have a LOT of negotiation with the Ravens, Bears and Sharks, but if he manages to get those in-line, i think he had a hood chance of putting down the three most direct threats to his rulership, the CC-MoC, the DC and CHH. I think the first one going down will be the CHH, and the DC is both at the brink of logistical exhaustation and a brewing Civil War. So the main fight will be against the CC. At this point neither the LC (in a sorry state), the FS (in a worse state i think) nor the FWL (still getting on their feets and with some Shark and NC influence there) can face Alaric, not even the 3 togheter.

Now trying to get back on-topic. Will Alaric as the IlKhan, be able to subjugate both IE and Niops to the will of his new Star League? Probably. But not in the short run. Not even in the middle run.

As some products have shown a 3250 Star League context, in the long run he will be able to subdue the Inner Sphere and Periphery. The Homeworlds too, but that's going off topic.

Hell's Horses are acting like the pre-3067 Ice Hellions and looking at a losing proposition against the Wolves & Falcons.

The Combine is incredibly overstretched and surrounded by hostile neighbours(Bears, Ravens, Suns) who will make them lose if they really coordinate an assault.

Liao-MoC-Andurien is the only credible threat against Alaric, but even then, he can envelop this bloc with neoFWL, Marian, FS and Taurian help.

Steiner is looking at a long recovery but that is also highly uncertain because Alaric has claims on both LC and FS. By staying neutral and acting in the best interests of his realm, Davion is likely to ally with/submit to Alaric and go along with whatever offensive aimed at Kurita and Liao.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #584 on: 16 March 2021, 08:59:02 »
Steiner is looking at a long recovery but that is also highly uncertain because Alaric has claims on both LC and FS. By staying neutral and acting in the best interests of his realm, Davion is likely to ally with/submit to Alaric and go along with whatever offensive aimed at Kurita and Liao.

Could Alaric even get the Steiner throne? He is basically the son of Katherine Steiner-Davion and she and her children are barred from ever sitting on the thron eof the Commenwealth or suns.
And would alaric look at the Periphery? The Alliance might join due to being led by a Clan. The Concordat might just say "Oh it's tuesday again" and ready the nukes. The Magistracy is allied with House Liao so most likely a big No.
Niops? Is Niops even worth the trouble? During the later days of the League they left the Ilyrian Palatinate alone so I would assume that alric would leave the small statelets to their own devices.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #585 on: 17 March 2021, 04:29:34 »
Trillian's image has gotten a hammering and Alaric can just enforce his claim. The Concordat can go either way.

Niops will probably be left alone unless they voluntarily join.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #586 on: 17 March 2021, 08:00:53 »
Niops will probably be left alone unless they voluntarily join.

I'll buy that for a dollar!

I mean they could rebuild quietly as the have before...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #587 on: 17 March 2021, 08:53:42 »
They only militarized during the 3050s and 3060s though. One can say the current state of Niops is a return to the pre-militarization era and it's a blessing in disguise because it makes Niops less attractive to prospective invaders.

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #588 on: 17 March 2021, 09:24:08 »
They only militarized during the 3050s and 3060s though. One can say the current state of Niops is a return to the pre-militarization era and it's a blessing in disguise because it makes Niops less attractive to prospective invaders.

Space Romans don't care what you have. Space Romans only care that you're nearby and not theirs. The only thing keeping the Space Romans away pre-3050 was NAM aerospace superiority. The only thing keeping them away now is IE and RoTS support. A native buildup is not only a good idea, it's essential. That or becoming a puppet looking for help from the FWL or Magistracy.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #589 on: 17 March 2021, 09:25:42 »
IIRC, Niops had at least a good relation with the Rim Commonality. At least they shared some info as showed in "To ride the Chimera".
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #590 on: 17 March 2021, 09:32:19 »
IIRC, Niops had at least a good relation with the Rim Commonality. At least they shared some info as showed in "To ride the Chimera".

Common cause with the Rim Commonality makes a lot of sense, actually, given that they are actively fighting the Marians. The only danger is getting drawn too far into internal Marik politics, but that may be a risk that has to be taken.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #591 on: 10 May 2021, 20:31:38 »
Well, there's one Niops Kickstarter character in the ilClan era so maybe we'll get killed off on-screen in a sufficiently glorious fashion.

I'm not a Kickstarter backer, so I didn't see this.  Could you provide a synopsis?

Space Romans don't care what you have. Space Romans only care that you're nearby and not theirs. The only thing keeping the Space Romans away pre-3050 was NAM aerospace superiority. The only thing keeping them away now is IE and RoTS support. A native buildup is not only a good idea, it's essential. That or becoming a puppet looking for help from the FWL or Magistracy.

Which brings up the interesting question...

We know Niops has a militia in 3145.  They even have a military academy.  What they reportedly lack are the old Project Workshops.

Say you're in charge of military procurement for the Niops Association.  You know the new germanium mining operations in the belt of the Niops system could attract some attention.  Your goal, then, is to restore some degree of self-sufficiency to the Niops Association in terms of military hardware production and procurement.

What military hardware lines do you try to obtain production for?  For simplicity's sake, let's stick to canon designs, and ones that other parties are likely to be willing to part with (say, because they're lower tech) or ones you can scrape together from thr ruins of the workshop.  Thoughts?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #592 on: 10 May 2021, 21:39:52 »
if you are looking to get production lines, you probably won't have a lot of options. odds are you could obtain tooling and plans for some of the conventional vehicles (especially the succession wars versions of common platforms) but as far as mechs go your odds are low of finding anything.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #593 on: 10 May 2021, 21:43:26 »
My thoughts look at designs it should be easy to gain plans for as well as upgrades:
Sabre aerospace
Stinger/Wasp Mech
Wolverine/Griffin Mech for a trooper mech
Goblin tank and look at Daryk designs for a family of units
Either Gray Death BA or Cavalier BA suits
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #594 on: 10 May 2021, 22:53:56 »
if you are looking to get production lines, you probably won't have a lot of options. odds are you could obtain tooling and plans for some of the conventional vehicles (especially the succession wars versions of common platforms) but as far as mechs go your odds are low of finding anything.

I figure the best bet would be to restore damaged infrastructure that's already there, but that may not be possible, and we're highly limited about how much we know about what Niops actually built.  I believe only four designs were ever expressly named: the Nighthawk PA(L), the Black Knight, the Highlander and the Burke.

In terms of tooling availability, their best bet on the open market would probably be remaining Primitive/RetroTech lines from manufacturers who upgraded or are upgrading those production lines, or some sort of armed IndustrialMech.  In a lot of ways, Niops is in a similar boat to New St. Andrews or Randis when they started manufacturing their own 'Mechs, though they might have the advantage of having some tooling still laying around.

My thoughts look at designs it should be easy to gain plans for as well as upgrades:
Sabre aerospace

Probably not a bad choice for an all-around interceptor, and it comes in a variety of tech bases, including Primitive, if that ends up being the best they could manage for a while.

Stinger/Wasp Mech
Wolverine/Griffin Mech for a trooper mech

Same tech base argument applies here, too.

That said, if they recover enough for Intro tech, though, I wonder if some version of the Phoenix Hawk to fill both roles might be better.  We know that, at one time, Niops did produce 270-rating engines, too.  Alternatively, the Chameleon could maybe serve in a similar role, and could also function as a trainer 'Mech in their academy, and also uses a 300-rating engine, like their old Black Knights used to.

Failing that...there's always the Quasit.  ;D

Goblin tank and look at Daryk designs for a family of units
Either Gray Death BA or Cavalier BA suits

Goblins are a solid choice.  As for the BA, I'd almost rather see them keep the Nighthawks in production, if only for continuity with pre-Jihad Niops.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #595 on: 11 May 2021, 00:38:50 »
I was not that they could build the nighthawk stealth armor easy anymore..
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #596 on: 11 May 2021, 01:26:57 »
An-2s loaded down with RL-10s

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #597 on: 11 May 2021, 02:09:03 »
I was not that they could build the nighthawk stealth armor easy anymore..

I'm looking for the part discussing it, which is taking some digging.  Of course, I also discovered the secondary languages for Niops, per Era Report 3145, are Arabic, Bulgarian and Urdu.

Field Manual 3145 mentions the Project Workshops not being rebuilt and that Niops "must rely on imports from the Marian Hegemony, former Free Worlds League states, and the Lyran Commonwealth".  Which is a thing.  Also, it mentions the Niops Citizens Militia, which is also interesting, considering elsewhere it's the Niops Association Militia

Ah, there it is.  Page 199 of Field Manual 3145.  Where, again, it's NAM (Niops Association Militia) and not the Niops Citizens Militia.

Quote from: Field Manual 3145, Pg. 199
The one bright spot in an otherwise bleak recent history has been the formal addition of infantry forces to the
NAM in both unarmored and battle armor alike. The NAM currently has four squads of the ancient Nighthawk Mk XXI power armor—representing all of the suits left in active service today. These assets are used exclusively to protect the government facilities on Niops VII.

So, since the MUL lists the Nighthawk as being used by a number of powers in the Dark Age, I'm gonna assume that those four squads of suits are all the active suits in the Niops Association.  I'm also not clear if that represents the totality of the NAM infantry forces in battle armor, and the chart later on in the book only clearly spells out their BattleMech strength (1 regiment), as well as listing the Militia as a whole at 85% strength.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #598 on: 11 May 2021, 03:01:38 »
1 regiment of Mechs is a good number to deter any raiders, especially if it is 1/3 Star League Mechs and 2/3 Retro or intro Mechs. Since they buy from the Hegemony, Lyrans and former FWL, for Retrotech, the Centurion, Sarissa, Ostwar, Patron and Arbiter will be common.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #599 on: 11 May 2021, 03:11:54 »
An-2s loaded down with RL-10s
I like the cut of your jib.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner