Author Topic: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread  (Read 181256 times)

D-Rock

• Corporal
  • "I'm sure a profound statement belongs here..."
Re: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread
« Reply #780 on: 08 March 2023, 11:26:09 »
That's actually a really good point, and the two named Niops Militia 'Mechs are certainly on the list.  And while they may not be able to build more 'Mechs at the moment, they may have enough industry left to build wear-and-tear maintenance components.

I wonder... can they still build Nighthawks in the ilClan era?

And I wonder what the true capabilities of the Niops Projects Workshop really are?

I'll see if I can get some answers from my source.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #781 on: 08 March 2023, 12:41:29 »
Last Field Manual I saw was saying the Workshops hadn’t been rebuilt yet, and they were down to 16 Nighthawk suits.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #782 on: 10 March 2023, 04:15:14 »
So, I'm getting closer to the Alpha Strike game where I'm running a Niops Association force, and therefore painting up minis to get ready:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/miniatures/niops-association-militia/msg1916840/#new

The way the game works is our initial force is 200 points.  From there, we can bring in an additional 50 points every month thereafter as reinforcements.  At start, we're only allowed to have no more than two of any one 'Mech or tank, and all units need to be off a single era/faction list on the MUL (I went with Terran Hegemony during the Star League era).

So, I've built out three lances right now, sticking to the formation rules and, most importantly, minis I have in the right paint scheme or could scramble to paint.  All units are skill 4.

Battle Lance (Command Lance?):132 points
2 x Highlander HGN-732 (Sniper)
2 x Panther PNT-9R (Sniper)

Medium Battle Lance (Command Lance?): 127 points
Thunderbolt TDR-5S
Shadow Hawk SHD-2H
Griffin GRF-1N
Wolverine WVR-6R

Scout Lance: 68-72 points
Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 or PXH-2
2 x Wasp WSP-1A
Stinger STG-3G

Part of me wants to start with the Highlanders and Panthers, but I'm thinking it might be better to run with the Medium Battle Lance to start with.  Then I can bring in a Highlander a month (they're 47 points) as reinforcements, with the two Panthers paired up with an Urbie on another month.

Any recommendations?  I'm still relatively new to Alpha Strike, so I don't entirely know how well these will work out.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #783 on: 10 March 2023, 04:37:54 »
I'd go with an SE T-Bolt, personally...  8)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #784 on: 10 March 2023, 05:51:57 »
I'd go with an SE T-Bolt, personally...  8)

Built too late, and isn't on the Terran Hegemony MUL list.  I could take it, but for this particular game, I'd have to throw out any MUL list from before 2901 when the 5SE debuted, and even if I went with a later SE, I'd have to throw out playing Niops, and go with the Mercenary MUL list for whatever era I chose.

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #785 on: 10 March 2023, 14:57:16 »
So, I'm getting closer to the Alpha Strike game where I'm running a Niops Association force, and therefore painting up minis to get ready:

Any recommendations?  I'm still relatively new to Alpha Strike, so I don't entirely know how well these will work out.

My experience is limited, but the few games I have played gave me the impression that mobility is important, more important than even in Classic Battletech. That, and it's damn hard to hit anything, even with a default skill of 4! As to why, see mobility. *LOL*

My interpretation of Niops mechs leans more heavily towards SLDF and ComStar designs, so my force composition is a tad different. But one thing that's left an impression on me is the effectiveness of Cavalry. Here's my lance (experimental, yet to be tested).

B Company, NAM Territorial Defence Force (Chapterhouse), 'Benny's Blitzers'
Cavalry Lance (116pv)
  • Exterminator EXT-4D, fragile, but one of the few heavy mechs that can move 12"j, so it's able to keep up with your medium and light units. (37pv)
  • Phoenix Hawk PHX-1, can't go wrong with this one, fast at 12"j, reasonably armed, and you could probably substitute it with a PHX-1D or PHX-2 if you want to get fancy. (26pv)
  • Sentinel STN-3L, derpy, but again that 12" movement. (23pv)
  • Mongoose MON-66: You can get a faster mech like a Mercury (20"... wowzers!), or a cheaper one like the Locust, but the Mongoose is still fairly fast at 16" without outpacing your other units, and it's incredibly well armed for a light mech. (30pv)

The trick is to keep a somewhat uniform movement speed so you don't find units lagging behind. And the more speed you can wring out of that lance the better! And, of course, if you find you need more armor or firepower you can still get away with using mechs with a 10" movement like the Wolverine.

Also, feel free to look into Royal Variants. Who knows if Niops got them, but if anyone could...
« Last Edit: 10 March 2023, 15:11:25 by D-Rock »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #786 on: 10 March 2023, 17:50:01 »
Built too late, and isn't on the Terran Hegemony MUL list.  I could take it, but for this particular game, I'd have to throw out any MUL list from before 2901 when the 5SE debuted, and even if I went with a later SE, I'd have to throw out playing Niops, and go with the Mercenary MUL list for whatever era I chose.
Well, I tried to get that lance to be all jump capable...  8)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #787 on: 10 March 2023, 18:40:29 »

I've got an EXT-4D I can swap in to replace the Thunderbolt.  Right now it's primered white, so it should be easy enough to finish painting, and the EXT-4D is only 1 point more than the TDR-5S.  I'm at 199 right now with that lance and the Macross Recon lance, so I should be good to go.

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #788 on: 10 March 2023, 19:01:39 »
I've got an EXT-4D I can swap in to replace the Thunderbolt.  Right now it's primered white, so it should be easy enough to finish painting, and the EXT-4D is only 1 point more than the TDR-5S.  I'm at 199 right now with that lance and the Macross Recon lance, so I should be good to go.

Fair warning: The Exterminator's better at an ambush role. It really is a glass cannon. But hey, it's one of the fastest heavies, and I find Alpha Strike is more forgiving with less than ideal designs.

When I get back home I'll see what other mechs can do 10"j or 12"j that will fit Niops' criteria. Maybe I'll find some other solutions?
« Last Edit: 10 March 2023, 19:03:33 by D-Rock »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #789 on: 10 March 2023, 19:17:40 »
Worst-case scenario I could throw in another 55-tonner like a Griffin or Shadow Hawk.

I might even try to build a lance out of GRF-1A and SHD-1R primitive Griffins and Shadow Hawks on the cheap, since they're 25 and 22 points respectively, and they're on the THAF list for the Star League era, presumably representing backwater militia 'Mechs.  Two of each would put me at only 94 points.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #790 on: 10 March 2023, 19:28:27 »
An Exterminator would be awesome in that lance!  :thumbsup:

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #791 on: 13 March 2023, 10:55:13 »
And you know, with some of these Comstar and SLDF designs, I could probably make a Heavy Cavalry/Striker lance that could potentially be fielded by Niops too. I need three heavy mechs as a minimum, and a minimum movement of 8 inches. But I think I can get away with using 10" movement mechs. I know! I'll center it around the Flashman!

Time to make some Niops Association Militia doctrine...

Update: Also just realized the Lancelot LNC25-01 is also a 12" movement mech... and I have two of them! Pair them with my Exterminator and a Phoenix Hawk and I have a heavy striker lance that moves at 12". Holy smokes! Problem is the Lancelot is even more fragile than the Exterminator...

But for a more durable lance moving at 10" I could do a Flashman, Ostroc or Ostsol, and a Wolverine. I may have to double-up on a certain model, and the Ostrok and Ostsol aren't yet available through CGL, but there's potential...
« Last Edit: 13 March 2023, 14:14:35 by D-Rock »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #792 on: 13 March 2023, 15:58:25 »
And you know, with some of these Comstar and SLDF designs, I could probably make a Heavy Cavalry/Striker lance that could potentially be fielded by Niops too. I need three heavy mechs as a minimum, and a minimum movement of 8 inches. But I think I can get away with using 10" movement mechs. I know! I'll center it around the Flashman!

Time to make some Niops Association Militia doctrine...

I'm realizing I shot myself in the foot in this game by going with the Terran Hegemony list, because it precludes the Nighthawks and the King Crab - I have two King Crab minis sitting on top of my old PC, and those two plus two Highlanders makes for a 200-point force.

In terms of doctrine, the canon designs we're originally given for Niops (Black Knight, Highlander, Burke Heavy Tank) makes their doctrine look like they lean on the side of slower defensive walls of 'Mechs and vehicles, rather than a fast mobile force.

That can't, however, be their entire force.  During the Jihad, when the Word of Blake drops nukes on Niops VI and VII, and the Militia is reduced to a single scattered battalion fighting a guerilla campaign based from Niops V.

You're not doing that in Burkes, Highlanders or Black Knights: they're simply too damn slow.  You're not doing that with ICE vehicles: you don't have the supply lines to do that.  So while the canon implies the opposite, there at least needs to be some kind of fast response/strike units on Niops that can fight guerilla campaigns, because that's exactly what happened.

Update: Also just realized the Lancelot LNC25-01 is also a 12" movement mech... and I have two of them! Pair them with my Exterminator and a Phoenix Hawk and I have a heavy striker lance that moves at 12". Holy smokes! Problem is the Lancelot is even more fragile than the Exterminator...

But for a more durable lance moving at 10" I could do a Flashman, Ostroc or Ostsol, and a Wolverine. I may have to double-up on a certain model, and the Ostrok and Ostsol aren't yet available through CGL, but there's potential...

Those are good choices.  Maybe I should run my fast-movers with an Exterminator at the head instead of a Thunderbolt.  It loses the Dougram-theme of that lance, but could work.  I could also double-up on a Wolverine, Griffin or Shadow Hawk, increase the skill of one of those 'Mechs and designate them a commander, and keep theme, too.

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #793 on: 13 March 2023, 16:16:32 »
I'll save the Highlander and the Black Knight for a battle line. I have a few mechs in mind for that too.

No Burkes available so far, unless I get them from Etsy or from Iron Winds.

I'm figuring a regular cavalry/striker lance that can double as recon, then a heavy cavalry lance to follow up, then either a battle lance or a fire support lance to bring the rain and take the pain.

Kind of like a Zulu bull and horns attack.
« Last Edit: 13 March 2023, 16:25:23 by D-Rock »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #794 on: 13 March 2023, 17:46:34 »
If you're looking at Wolverines, perhaps I could interest you in the WVR-6M from a near neighbor...  ^-^

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #795 on: 13 March 2023, 23:43:02 »
I have a Wolverine painted in my NAM color scheme. I'm not sure if they would have gotten their hands on a 6M but a 6R? Easy peasy.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #796 on: 14 March 2023, 14:26:12 »
The -6M is a pretty easy mod job, you can even do it with a DS IIRC.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #797 on: 14 March 2023, 17:49:51 »
I believe you are correct...  8)

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #798 on: 15 March 2023, 12:19:48 »
Today on 'What the Hell is That Doing on Niops... The Crockett CRK-5003-1

Some Time in the 3140's...

It was the moment all the mechwarrior students at the Central Military School strove for.

Countless hours in the classroom, countless more in the study hall, and still more in the simulators. Shunning the easier tracks of the more highly regarded, not to mention better funded, Nighthawk infantry platoons. Turning their noses from the NAM's Aerospace Corp, where the academy's best were placed into Spads and Stukas before they could toss their mortarboards. There were easier tracks at the CMS. The mechwarrior track was underfunded and overlooked, the veritable red-headed stepchild of the NAM.

It was easy to see it's appeal when the latest batch of students were led past the lance of training mechs in the school's outdoor tarmac.

Cadet Alphonse Li looked up in awe at their looming form, struck by their sheer bulk, the symmetry of its slab-sided plates  and subtle curves, bristling with all sorts of strange weaponry. For training mechs he expected something simpler, maybe an industrial mech or a Locust, not an actual assault-grade mech.

"About time, huh 'Phonse?" An elbow jabbed Alphonse in the ribs, as much an unwelcome intrusion as the cocky voice behind it. Cadet Liam Chase, by the big stupid grin on his face, held none of Alphonse's reservation about piloting these giants. Liam stared up the giant mechs with a casual air of self-entitlement. "I was wondering when they were gonna let us pilot some real heavy metal."

Cadet Li sighed with more apprehension. "The NAM sure believe in tossing us into the deep end, huh?"

"Oh please!" Cadet Chase snorted. "Haven't you heard? They're Crocketts. Practically dummyproof, which should be a real bonus for you." He slapped Cadet Li on the shoulder, pleased at his own amusing remarks. "But for me, this is temporary. Once I qualify on this I'm going straight for the Highlander..."

The bawl of the instructor cut through the cadet's chatter. By trained reflex, the pivoted to their instructor and stood at attention to listen.

"Cadet Numbnuts here is partially correct." Instructor Zhang shot a withering glare at Cadet Chase, cowing the cocky aspiring mechwarrior before he returned his attention to the rest of the training lance. "What you see before you is the Crockett CRK DASH 5003 DASH ONE Assault Class Training Mech. Meant to teach scrubs like you the basics of piloting, formation movements, and weapons handling at nearly all ranges. She's tough enough to crash into the Commandant's office after a Frosh Week bender and still not scratch the paint, so you bumbling morons probably won't do much more than give her a few dents. Don't expect speed demons here, but they're so easy to handle even Numbnuts can drive her in a straight line blindfolded." He shot one last glare at Chase. "Which doesn't give you license to show off in these things! The Crockett is dummyproof, which is unfortunate 'cause you scrubs prove that God builds better dummies, so treat your assigned mech with respect, got it?!"

A chorus of 'Yes Sir!' from the training lance quickly replied.

"Good..." Instructor Zhang nodded his approval. "The following cadets will be assigned to their coorespending Crocketts as follows... Kirpisuu, you get The Proctor. Sandoval, I'm assigning you to The Dean. Li, you're going to The Professor. And as for you, Cadet Chase..." His pause, long and savored under the sweat of a nervous Cadet Chase, cut when he spoke the words with extra relish. "...you get The Invigilator. Cadets, to your mechs!"

The cadets, hit with the excitement, and in Chase's case confusion, were slow to react.

"Well?!" Instructor Zhang barked, "Act like you WANT to become mechwarriors! In the cockpits! Double time!"

The pilots ran to their respective Crocketts. Li found himself jogging stride for stride with a still confused Chase.

Chase muttered, "What's up Zhang's butt today?"

Li shook his head and chuckled. The worst kept secret of the lance was Chase, for all his attitude and self-confidence, was more style than substance. As a student he was middling. As a pilot in the simulators he was actually dead last, and always quick with the excuses as to why. Cadet Chase was a legend to be, but only in his mind. To everyone else he was just a big man with a big mouth. The same mouth that claimed to pilot anything on two legs and stop holding him back so he could get himself in a Highlander in record time, so what was the hold up?

No wonder he was Instructor Zhang's butt monkey.

"Whatever it is," Li said, keeping the more honest parts to himself, "he must have it out for you. He gave you The Invigilator."

"So?"

"So, it's the faulty one. Something always goes wrong with it at the worst possible times. Why do you think the older cadets call it 'The Washout Machine'?"

Cadet Li sprinted away towards his assigned mech. He'll let reality percolate in Cadet Chase's delusion-addled brain without any further assistance. He wanted to crawl into his mech and get piloting right away, relieved that he wasn't assigned the problem mech in the lance.

Still, he worried how he would handle The Invigilator, because everyone eventually had a turn.

He was relieved that he, unlike Cadet Chase, wasn't first.

The Crockett, an advanced training mech made too good and practical for its original purpose. This popular machine is easy to pilot and brings a versatile suite of weapons capable of engaging at a variety of ranges. Some critics will say its firepower is too spread out among the ranges, but that was not its purpose. It was supposed to teach prospective mechwarriors about range engagements, heat management, and weapons handling. It just so happens that its firepower is enough to take on a variety of tasks, at the expense of concentrating that firepower.

Still, the NAM knows the value of a good mech when it sees one and has fielded the Crockett as both a trainer and a frontline unit since its inception. It's served alongside the Highlander as a bodyguard mech in heavy assault and battle line formations. Though many were lost in conflicts with the Marian Hegemony, Black Heart Roses, and the Word of Blake, a few are still in service.

As of the ilClan era the largest formation of Crocketts are at the Central Military School, still serving as pilot trainers. As per their educational purpose, each has the name suitable for the task; The Proctor, The Dean, The Professor, and most notorious of all, The Invigilator.

The Invigilator actually has an incredible service record when repurposed for the frontlines during times of conflict. Lieutenant Tiffany Zhang became an Ace during 'The Troubles' (the period between the 3070's until the 3090's) by racking up multiple kills against the Marians and the Word of Blake. When well maintained and piloted by a real pro she's the best Crockett in the NAM fleet. What's unique is her instructor modifications, removed in wartime, but kept when training the next generation of mech pilots. An instructor can manipulate The Invigilator from the school's control tower to simulate damage and component failure, whether it's myomar muscle failure, broken circuitry, or power issues with its fusion plant. An instructor has to have a deft touch when it comes to simulating failures without putting the student's life or the mech at risk, but by the end of it they have a better idea of how a student handles an emergency. It's up to the student themselves whether to persevere in adversity, know when to bail out when the danger is too great, or keep their composure. Either way, 'The Washout Machine' separates the true mechwarriors from the wannabes.
« Last Edit: 15 March 2023, 14:19:38 by D-Rock »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #799 on: 15 March 2023, 13:18:10 »
Sweet!  Nice accompanying story, and I dig your take on the camo spec.

Also, I've never been a fan of the old Crockett because, like the old Sentinel, the artwork and mini were, well, hideous.  That new mini is utterly gorgeous.

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #800 on: 15 March 2023, 14:42:45 »
Sweet!  Nice accompanying story, and I dig your take on the camo spec.

Also, I've never been a fan of the old Crockett because, like the old Sentinel, the artwork and mini were, well, hideous.  That new mini is utterly gorgeous.

TY! I love the new Crockett too. It was begging to be painted.

I am also almost done making a Flashman, a Phoenix Hawk, and a Thug. Once I figure out a good backstory for them I'll post 'em too!

The Lancelot, Rifleman, Archer, and Blackjack are also being considered.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #801 on: 15 March 2023, 16:46:59 »
Today on 'What the Hell is That Doing on Niops... The Crockett CRK-5003-1

Please sir, might you write some Fan Fiction about these poor unloved Cadets and their rides
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #802 on: 15 March 2023, 17:56:12 »
Seconded!  Well done indeed!  :thumbsup:

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #803 on: 15 March 2023, 21:21:08 »
I would love a tale on Crocketts and perhaps some updated Chameleons being used in battle.  The later 7 and 8 variants of the Chameleon are excellent machines for both training and striker duties. Perhaps even add in some Merlins since everybody has them....

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #804 on: 16 March 2023, 10:07:33 »
Please sir, might you write some Fan Fiction about these poor unloved Cadets and their rides

Some of these people I mention are going to be part of my ilClan era NAM Company, 'Benny's Blitzers'. You already saw Captain Benjamin O'Halloran try to get the Exterminator from his Battalion Commander. There's also mention of Lieutenant Cynthia Carmichael, a cousin of the infamous Alicia Carmichael. Alphonse Li is set to be a Mongoose pilot.

Poor Cadet Chase is too much of a sh*tbird to let graduate.

Or should I let him? Hmmm....

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #805 on: 16 March 2023, 14:20:28 »
Some of these people I mention are going to be part of my ilClan era NAM Company, 'Benny's Blitzers'. You already saw Captain Benjamin O'Halloran try to get the Exterminator from his Battalion Commander. There's also mention of Lieutenant Cynthia Carmichael, a cousin of the infamous Alicia Carmichael. Alphonse Li is set to be a Mongoose pilot.

Poor Cadet Chase is too much of a sh*tbird to let graduate.

Or should I let him? Hmmm....

He's got the feeling of invulnerability you need to pilot a light VTOL or fast hovercraft on the battlefield  :D

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #806 on: 16 March 2023, 15:41:08 »
He's got the feeling of invulnerability you need to pilot a light VTOL or fast hovercraft on the battlefield  :D

Just good enough to be hotdoggin' it on a fast vehicle, but not good enough to ride with the big mechs...

I like it.

I could either play the character as being bitter and resentful, denied the chance he feels entitled to, or he grows up and matures into one hell of a new model NAM infantry and vehicle commander. Both intrigue me.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #807 on: 16 March 2023, 15:45:06 »
Just good enough to be hotdoggin' it on a fast vehicle, but not good enough to ride with the big mechs...

I like it.

I could either play the character as being bitter and resentful, denied the chance he feels entitled to, or he grows up and matures into one hell of a new model NAM infantry and vehicle commander. Both intrigue me.

Alternatively, he yearns to be a Highlander pilot.  Instead, he gets assigned to a Stinger/Locust/Mercury.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #808 on: 16 March 2023, 15:48:42 »

I like it.

Well either that or the militia equivalent of a mallcop in a converted industrialmech  ;D

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #809 on: 16 March 2023, 15:51:16 »
Well either that or the militia equivalent of a mallcop in a converted industrialmech  ;D

I do have an older Urbie mini I'm painting up in Niops PD colors.  Gotta decide if it's "NPD", "N7PD", "NMPD" or how they'd be abbreviated.

Register