Author Topic: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread  (Read 181236 times)

D-Rock

• Corporal
  • "I'm sure a profound statement belongs here..."
Re: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread
« Reply #810 on: 16 March 2023, 16:02:36 »
But then I wouldn't have a scout hoverjock named Chase...

Man, he will never live this down.  ;)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #811 on: 16 March 2023, 17:53:58 »
Alternatively, he yearns to be a Highlander pilot.  Instead, he gets assigned to a Stinger/Locust/Mercury.
Too slow!  Savannah Master or go home!  :D

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #812 on: 16 March 2023, 18:01:33 »
But then I wouldn't have a scout hoverjock named Chase...

Man, he will never live this down.  ;)

See it's an ironic name that he's assigned to something that really can't chase much of anything  :D

Long Tom driver?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #813 on: 16 March 2023, 18:14:04 »
Burke Heavy Tanks are a canon Niops tank, and move a blazing 2/3.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #814 on: 17 March 2023, 09:59:48 »
Burke Heavy Tanks are a canon Niops tank, and move a blazing 2/3.

And sadly only available through Iron Wind Miniatures. Or Etsy, but I'm not satisfied with any of the 3D print models. And Mercenaries isn't releasing one.

Not sure if I should hold off on making a lance of tanks, but they would make a good direct fire/battle line option.

I also plan on getting some Nighthawks, but I don't know how many I should get, how many to put on each hex, and what I should get for transport options (ground, air mobile, tracked, hover?).

« Last Edit: 17 March 2023, 10:03:28 by D-Rock »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #815 on: 17 March 2023, 17:27:14 »
Hover or air mobile, definitely...  8)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #816 on: 18 March 2023, 03:12:20 »
Hover or air mobile, definitely...  8)

Cobra VTOLs?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #817 on: 18 March 2023, 03:14:51 »
Well, a stock Ferret can carry two, and an easy mod could get it up to four...  ^-^

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #818 on: 20 March 2023, 16:17:44 »
Today on 'What the Hell is That Doing on Niops...'

Niops V, 'The Barrens' Mountain Range, 120 Kilometres from Chapterhouse
Some Time in 3080 during the height of The Troubles...

"Thank you Khristoffer."

Colonel Eugene Thorpe took his hands off the dimly-lit tactical display table to accept Captain Kristoffer Engelbert's offer of a steaming cup of Caffix. The Ersatz coffee had the off flavor of artificial sweetners and chemical interpretations of how the real thing should taste, but it brought warmth to his core and to his gloved, chilled hands. In the cold and deep snow in the arboreal forests of The Barrens, small comforts and rank weren't the only things dispensed with in the face of reality.

Somtimes it was more important things, such as food and ammunition, which the NAM company commander found in short supply. The months of fighting off Marian raiders and Wobbie death squads left his battalion without shell nor missile among his ammo-hungry mechs.

When Chapterhouse was nuked by the Wobbies the destruction took with it multiple Niops Project Workshops and vast warehouses full of war materiel. Not only were their means of self sufficiency destroyed, leaving no means of replacing their losses, their supplies were also scattered and buried under irradiated scrap.

But when recon found a munitions storage bunker on the ruin's outskirts, intact by virtue of its sturdy construction, he knew he had the answer. They needed to raid that bunker with everything they had left. But how when most of his mechs ammo bins were dry?

He had the answer, which he kept in mind as he gave to his Aide-de-Camp instructions. "After you've got a Caffix for yourself, I need you to get my lance leaders on the horn. First, Lieutenant Chen from first recon, he's got a few Mongoose and Wild Weasel P. Hawks we could use. Then I want Lieutenant Stepanchikov and his Flashman lance. I've got plans for them."

Captain Engelberg spoke with a note of skepticism.  "Sir, that the last of our reserves. We may not be able to spare them when the Wobbies hit our front."

"And we won't be able to hit them at all if all we got left in our mechs is harsh language." Colonel Thorpe soured. "Besides, there's something about their force distribution that I think we can exploit." He pointed to the tactical display map of Chapterhouse. "See how the Wobbies spread themselves out? I think it has something to do with those reinforcements Colonel Do saw on Niops VII. Our flyboys confirmed resonant heat signatures that could have only come from departing dropships."

Engelbert picked up on the inference quickly. "So they got their reinforcements from here."

"Robbing Peter to pay Paul." Colonel Thorpe replied. "And leaving Chapterhouse thin enough for us to bust through. Normally we wouldn't sustain a battle without ammunition, but a lance of Flashman mechs under Stepanchikov, with a little help from other non-ammunition dependent mechs, could hold the line long enough for us to load up. Then we can we can counterattack with our resupplied units and push the Wobbies out of our city."

Hunched over the display, Captain Engelbert swiped his finger to zoom into the battlezone. He spotted something on the map, and pointed to it with a sly grin. "It's not just a coincidence that there's also a huge MRE supply depot there as well?"

Colonel Thorpe looked down at the haggard, sallow reflection staring back at him from his cup of fake coffee.  When he looked back up, a semblance of his cheer and good humor returned.

"Why Captain, I'd never put the lives of the men and women under my command in danger just for the chance at a decent cup of coffee."

The Colonel flicked his cup in the direction of the command tent's entrance, spraying fake coffee across the trodden snow.

"Not when most the militia will fall all over themselves for the opportunity. Call Stepanchikov's Flashers first. Lock them in as the tip of the spear before anyone else volunteers."

Engelbert cracked an amused smile. "Yes Sir!"

The way the Niops Association procured equipment was perplexing to say the least. They were acquiring, hoarding, and later building, some of the Star League's finest war machines. Their equipment was good enough for SLDF front line duty. Some of it wouldn't be out of place in a Royal regiment. All of it, and the expenses incurred, were enough to give any comptroller or finance minister an aneurysm on the spot. Why did a scientific outpost need such overwhelming firepower? Some would say it was pure Star League-era excess. Others would say it's part of a Master Plan...

Governmental bean-counters and political penny pinchers would say it's going too far and demand more financial accountability in the NAM procurement process.

Which is where the Flashman, and other flashbulb mechs like it, come in.

Sure, until the day scientists find out how to indirect fire with laser beams or efficiently cover entire grid squares with disco laser shows there's no danger of projectile weaponry being rendered obsolete. However, without the expense of ammunition, a flashbulb mech had more operational endurance and less operations costs per hour than most other mech designs. At least, in theory. In reality, a flashbulb mech had just as much, if not more, issues with maintenance and parts alone. Energy weapons, after all, are more complex and demand a lot of care and calibration compared to slugthrowers. It's a point missed on cheapskates when they see the savings from not buying any bullets.

Thankfully for the NAM the Flashman was the darling of mechwarrior pilots, mechanics, and accountants alike. It was fast, maneuverable, and incredibly tough. It could easily be repaired on the field, that is, if the rugged design needed repairs at all. It took to improvised repairs easily (hence why so many downgrades in the Inner Sphere). It could operate on the field as long as the pilot was willing. And it was cheap to operate, which left more in the Niopian budget for Science!

All these traits became a virtue once Niops was turned into a shooting gallery during The Twenty-Year Troubles. Without their famous Project Workshops the NAM had no way to resupply, no source for spares, and no hope of any outside assistance. When the gauss rounds ran dry on the Highlander and the missile bays of the Crusader spent their last, it was up to designs like the Flashman and the Black Knight to hold the line, then later take it back.

Such as the case of Operation Coffee Run, the re-capture of Chapterhouse on Niops V. Word of Blake forces, believing the army of Colonel Eugene Thorpe depleted and starved from months of guerilla warfare, redistributed forces to crush Colonel Do on Niops VII. This left the door open for an audacious attack by Stepanchikov's Flashers busted the frontline and secured supplies so the rest of the NAM forces could deliver a decisive blow at the Battle of The Barrens.

The Flashman in NAM service would repeat the same punishment for success as it did in the Inner Sphere, being whittled down by attrition and a lack of spare parts to a fraction of their numbers. Still, some Flashman mechs serve in the NAM during the ilClan era, a majority kept in their original FLS-8K configuration using scrap and spare parts salvaged from fallen units. Others are downgraded to the FLS-7K variant, at least until they find a way to resurrect the Niops Project Workshops.

The cash-strapped Niops Association Militia of the ilClan appreciates a flashbulb mech now more than ever. They may not bring the rain like a missile boat, or lower the boom like a Highlander's gauss rifle, but the Flashman will never let you down.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2023, 16:20:20 by D-Rock »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #819 on: 20 March 2023, 16:39:56 »
The new Flashman art is great.  Was never really a fan of the old art, which looked too goofy.  That said, the FLS-7K was a great Introtech flashbulb.  Was less thrilled with XL-equipped versions.

Y'now, it does occur to me that, in the Dark Age/ilClan era, Niops' 'Mechs could undergo carcinization, revolving around the Hermit Crab as a light, the Crab as a meduum, and the King Crab as an assault.

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #820 on: 20 March 2023, 16:44:54 »
The new Flashman art is great.  Was never really a fan of the old art, which looked too goofy.  That said, the FLS-7K was a great Introtech flashbulb.  Was less thrilled with XL-equipped versions.

Y'now, it does occur to me that, in the Dark Age/ilClan era, Niops' 'Mechs could undergo carcinization, revolving around the Hermit Crab as a light, the Crab as a meduum, and the King Crab as an assault.

Thanks! And you know, I got crabs...

MECHS! CRAB MECHS! Ya filthy degenerates...

They're next to be painted up, but only because I needed some more assault and medium options. So expect some more soon, but then afterwards I'm gonna cool it.

Also, nice to throw in some references to Field Manual 3085. It really fleshes out Niops even more.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2023, 16:53:05 by D-Rock »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #821 on: 20 March 2023, 17:14:39 »
Wild Weasel P. Hawks
  :drool:

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #822 on: 20 March 2023, 17:18:24 »
  :drool:

Seemed a fitting name for the PHX-2, since they got guardian ECM.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #823 on: 20 March 2023, 17:48:17 »
Seemed a fitting name for the PHX-2, since they got guardian ECM.

Hmm, EF-111 Ravens became Sparkvaarks and EA-6B were Prowlers, and EA-18G became Growlers. Sparkhawks? Howlers?

On a related note, I wonder when someone will decide that the best nickname for the J-16D EW Flankers will be Spankers

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #824 on: 20 March 2023, 18:30:30 »
Hmm, EF-111 Ravens became Sparkvaarks and EA-6B were Prowlers, and EA-18G became Growlers. Sparkhawks? Howlers?

On a related note, I wonder when someone will decide that the best nickname for the J-16D EW Flankers will be Spankers

Angry Birds.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #825 on: 21 March 2023, 01:55:40 »
My interpretation of a GM Sniper II in Niops colours (grey and white with blue trim) with faux wood furniture on the sniper rifle to give it a bit more of a classic look.

Although it wasn't my intention, the final result bears a resemblance the US Army's infamous UCP pattern

« Last Edit: 21 March 2023, 04:13:44 by chanman »

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #826 on: 21 March 2023, 02:51:45 »
That camo is gorgeous

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #827 on: 21 March 2023, 03:17:47 »
And the rifle is sweet too!  :thumbsup:

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #828 on: 21 March 2023, 12:39:50 »
That GM sniper rifle does make me wonder something odd:  Sarna says the 1st edition Periphery sourcebook has the highest native life on Niops VII as being fish.  Trees were a mid to late Devonian development on Earth, so…would Niops even have trees, given their star’s low output?

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #829 on: 21 March 2023, 12:49:39 »
That GM sniper rifle does make me wonder something odd:  Sarna says the 1st edition Periphery sourcebook has the highest native life on Niops VII as being fish.  Trees were a mid to late Devonian development on Earth, so…would Niops even have trees, given their star’s low output?

In FGC, I think we did joke at one point that Niops trade deals needed to include oak so that they could age their brown spirits...

Do the other Niops planets have any native life at all?
« Last Edit: 21 March 2023, 12:51:53 by chanman »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #830 on: 21 March 2023, 14:37:18 »
In FGC, I think we did joke at one point that Niops trade deals needed to include oak so that they could age their brown spirits...

I don't know if it's mentioned anywhere.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #831 on: 21 March 2023, 14:52:58 »
I don't know if it's mentioned anywhere.

I mean, native life other than nerds, of course

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #832 on: 22 March 2023, 10:04:45 »

Not sure, but if it's Devonian Period then we're looking at the first primitive forests. That would be enough.

Source: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/devonian#:~:text=Toward%20the%20end%20of%20the,seed%20plants%20had%20also%20appeared.

And it's a somewhat cold planet, so I don't see why they can't import some coniferous trees. Maybe there's extensive pine forests on Niops?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #833 on: 22 March 2023, 10:17:15 »
Either how cold and overall sim they probably are, I don’t know that Terran trees may cut it.  It’d be interesting to see if trees are still a valid strategy around a red dwarf, but I’m no more a botanist than I am a steam locomotive.

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #834 on: 22 March 2023, 10:21:53 »
You'd be surprised what pine trees can survive in. I mean, I'm Canadian. I've seen what coniferous forests can survive in. But yes, I'd have to check to see if they could handle red suns without any genetic engineering.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #835 on: 22 March 2023, 10:53:58 »
You'd be surprised what pine trees can survive in. I mean, I'm Canadian. I've seen what coniferous forests can survive in. But yes, I'd have to check to see if they could handle red suns without any genetic engineering.

The colours at least might be different to account for the different wavelengths of light they receive. Also, hoi from the coast!

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #836 on: 22 March 2023, 12:25:02 »
The colours at least might be different to account for the different wavelengths of light they receive. Also, hoi from the coast!

Prairie boy, representing!

But yeah, I figure conifers are our best bet because they'll grow in cold conditions and in poor, rocky soil.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #837 on: 22 March 2023, 13:03:37 »
Prairie boy, representing!

But yeah, I figure conifers are our best bet because they'll grow in cold conditions and in poor, rocky soil.

Back in Fan Grand Council, I think I had this discussion with @GiovanniBlasini about how SL-era genetic tweaks for adaptation might end up making the locals look more like anime characters. Larger iris/pupil for better light collection in the ambient light, some other adaptations for vitamin D generation in the local environment. An interesting question is whether those changes propagated through the Capellan refugee cohort, or if the genetic pool became thoroughly mingled, or only partially mingled with socio-economic and cultural self-selection leading to concentrations of genetic modifications or lack thereof concentrating in different groups.

The whole thing took a weird detour into (slighly) metahumans and (full-on) transhumanist weirdness at some point.

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #838 on: 22 March 2023, 13:59:22 »
Back in Fan Grand Council, I think I had this discussion with @GiovanniBlasini about how SL-era genetic tweaks for adaptation might end up making the locals look more like anime characters. Larger iris/pupil for better light collection in the ambient light, some other adaptations for vitamin D generation in the local environment. An interesting question is whether those changes propagated through the Capellan refugee cohort, or if the genetic pool became thoroughly mingled, or only partially mingled with socio-economic and cultural self-selection leading to concentrations of genetic modifications or lack thereof concentrating in different groups.

The whole thing took a weird detour into (slighly) metahumans and (full-on) transhumanist weirdness at some point.

Expecially since it'd be much easier to set your agriculture up in greenhouses (or just straight use aquaculture) and make sure every building's got Vitamin D lamps.

I'm a firm believer in Occam's Razor. Sometimes you don't need complex solutions, just simple ones.
« Last Edit: 22 March 2023, 14:01:03 by D-Rock »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #839 on: 22 March 2023, 19:35:40 »

Fan council.. was fun.. Niops was basicly a few of my favorite anime..  the Major was head of Spec Ops I believe
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Register