Author Topic: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread  (Read 181131 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread
« Reply #870 on: 13 August 2023, 18:17:30 »
Not bad at all! :)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #871 on: 13 August 2023, 19:32:39 »
That is one skinny boi.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #872 on: 14 August 2023, 03:16:37 »
It's an "OmniMech". Chanman can attach 6 different equipment packs to them if he has them.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #873 on: 14 August 2023, 03:21:45 »
I also think there's potential to slip in SLDF Royal mechs... but that might be a little too OP.

However if you're facing Jihad or IlClan era stuff you may want that equalizer.
iirc there were a few royals that had made their way outside the royal units to the member states even before the star league fell, going by the MUL. like the warhammer WHM-6Rb, which in the MUL shows up as IS general in the "Star League (2571 - 2780)" category (as well as the expected "star league general" and Rimworlds-Terran corps)

D-Rock

• Corporal
  • "I'm sure a profound statement belongs here..."
« Reply #874 on: 14 August 2023, 10:01:03 »
I was thinking more along the lines of... if Niops somehow got their hands on top-of-the-line Nighthawk power armor specs, then what other specs did they also have?

This might also be a stretch but when the Black Heart Roses were hired on it was Niops who refurbished their mech units. And they had some rare mechs, including Spartans. Couldn't do that without having some specs. So who knows what they had squirreled away in their databanks? The door is open.

Hotpoint

• Master Sergeant
  • Rumours of annihilation are grossly exaggerated
« Reply #875 on: 14 August 2023, 13:51:48 »
I was thinking more along the lines of... if Niops somehow got their hands on top-of-the-line Nighthawk power armor specs, then what other specs did they also have?

If you want a broad 'somehow' then it's mentioned in Field Manual: SLDF that XXXIV Corps under Maj. Gen. Lijsbeth van Coevorden unofficially traded with Niops for supplies, mostly because she was having trouble getting them officially. One of the units attached to that corps was Royal (the 187th Royal Striker Regiment) so perhaps if she needed spares for their machines she asked Niops to make them in their high-tech Project Workshops.

Of course to make spares you need the blueprints and specs for Royal equipment... which would normally be out of the question to hand over, however Niops was a Terran Hegemony colony so would that be technically breaking any laws?
"A dread fear rests deep in the heart of Clan Coyote that one day a lawyer will arrive on Tamaron talking about intellectual property rights, the Mercury II and the Coyotl omnimech and this will herald the end of the Clan as the Not-Named sue their asses into bankruptcy for patent infringement" - The True History of the Clans (Dark Caste Press: 3050)

Hunted Tribes - Hotpoint's Battlestar/Battletech Crossover Series

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #876 on: 14 August 2023, 18:00:37 »
Technically, certainly not!  Ask any lawyer... ;D

Also, I made a couple of SAS Nighthawk variants... ;)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #877 on: 15 August 2023, 12:38:50 »

So who knows what they had squirreled away in their databanks? The door is open.

I kinda think that they have at least the datafiles for most designs that were in current production when colony was setup.  Most likely to provide the ability to repair the defensive force assigned.   Then as
Field Manual: SLDF that XXXIV Corps under Maj. Gen. Lijsbeth van Coevorden unofficially traded with Niops for supplies, mostly because she was having trouble getting them officially. One of the units attached to that corps was Royal (the 187th Royal Striker Regiment) so perhaps if she needed spares for their machines she asked Niops to make them in their high-tech Project Workshops.
They got access to better designs datafiles, and honestly I can see them recruiting people who might have access to "datafiles".  And you never know what odd knowledge that scientist assigned to Niops might have brought with them.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #878 on: 15 August 2023, 13:02:39 »
That is one skinny boi.

The Dagger-L is supposed to be the Gundam Seed setting's equivalent of the GMs, but yeah, I'm not super sold. It's a newer design that has more articulation, but I find the joints kind of loose, and the proportions oddly skinny.

For newer grunt suits, I would recommend either the Leo from Gundam Wing, or the GM Ground from MS08th team

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #879 on: 16 August 2023, 19:33:13 »
Also by the late 3070s/3080s, Royal units are popping up in places like the Taurian Concordat (Warhammer 6Rb, Thunderbolt-5Rb, eventually the Warhammer 7A), the various Free World Leauge governments (Royal Phoenix Hawk, Royal Locust,) and so on.  The Niops Workshops might not be up to manufacturing new Mechs, but they could refit older chassis into the Royal variants, or just upgrade existing stuff as Class C or D upgrades.  The Royal Ostroc comes to mind as a fairly cheap and easy design since it just adds Ferro-fibrous armor, DHS, and swaps the large lasers for ER versions along with replacing the SRM-4 with two Streak 2s.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #880 on: 16 August 2023, 19:39:06 »
That sounds like nothing above a Class B refit to me... :)

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #881 on: 17 August 2023, 22:08:20 »
Yup, and you could get the components extremely easily even in the Dark Age.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #882 on: 27 December 2023, 20:37:33 »
So Recognition Guide 33 has now shipped, and, not surprisingly, Niops was not mentioned again, even in passing, unlike our Neo-Roman neighbors or some of the other minor factions.

Given that scenario, and some of the last discussions we had, pretend you're in charge of military industrial procurement for the Niops Association in 3155, the dawn of the ilClan era, with the task of rebuilding one or more of the Project Workshops or something similar, sufficient to cover some degree of domestic military production.  In cases where domestic production is insufficient to meet a specific requirement, the Niops Association will continue to import military hardware as needed, but this is both expensive and

As such, you've been tasked with obtaining sufficient tooling to produce one conventional vehicle, one 'Mech and one aerospace fighter, with the goals of having each cover as many roles as possible, for as little money as possible.

Obviously, the Niops Association Militia would be thrilled to have production of the Highlander, Black Knight, Burke and Nighthawk PA(L) restored, but given the difficulties in doing so over the past 75 years, they understand that doing so is most likely outside the Association's current reach, and that the budget may not allow for such prestigious, expensive designs, assuming anyone was willing to sell the tooling you're currently missing anyway.  Because tooling may be an issue, and logistics is a beast, sharing as many parts as possible between units is highly desirable.

So, with that in mind, what units would you recommend?

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #883 on: 27 December 2023, 22:56:50 »
Mech The Thunderbolt. It's tough, easy to modify, and almost everyone makes them. Spare parts are easy to come by, and you could get the plans for the 7M which uses basic Star Leauge tech (DHS, Ferro, CASE, ER Large Laser, Streak 2) from Marik on the cheap. It will do just about any role other then cavalry, and that can also be added with jump jets. Kick in Endo Steel for the 5rb Royal variant as a command unit, and you have a solid long amd short range trooper for any duty.

Aerospace fighter the Stingray. Also made by the friendly neighborhood purple eagle, the Stingray is an all energy weapons 60 ton fighter designed for dogfighting and strafing. It has several variants, is easy to support, and can be used as an all around generalist like the Thunderbolt.  The Stingray moves 6/9 and has 11.5 tons of armor.  You get a PPC, two larg3 lasers and two mediums. It's not flashy, but it's solid like the Thunderbolt

Vehicle-Assuming you want a core tank, I would go with the Bulldog. It's 60 tons, with an ICE, 2 SRM-4s and a Large Laser. The Bulldog moves 4/6, mounts 6.5 tons of armor, and is cheap at 606 BV. The Manticote may have more powerful weapons, amd the Goblin carries infantry, but the Bulldog keeps on coming. It has all sorts of weapons swaps from LB-5s to ER Large Lasers, and the Fuel Cell mod makes it tough enough for line or garrison duty.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #884 on: 27 December 2023, 23:53:02 »
Like we previously discussed, I think the Goblin is the best choice for Niops... lots of variants, and can fit in a light cubicle.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #885 on: 28 December 2023, 04:04:35 »
Mech The Thunderbolt. It's tough, easy to modify, and almost everyone makes them. Spare parts are easy to come by, and you could get the plans for the 7M which uses basic Star Leauge tech (DHS, Ferro, CASE, ER Large Laser, Streak 2) from Marik on the cheap. It will do just about any role other then cavalry, and that can also be added with jump jets. Kick in Endo Steel for the 5rb Royal variant as a command unit, and you have a solid long amd short range trooper for any duty.

The TDR-7M is certainly a solid design, but high-tech enough that I wonder how easy it would be to get the tooling needed.  Amusingly enough, though, the MUL lists it as being in use by mercenaries, the Marian Hegemony and the Magistracy as of the Dark Age era.

Amusingly, a vehicle that ends up pairing better with it due to the engine is the Patton, but if you can produce the Patton, do you really need the Thunderbolt?

Aerospace fighter the Stingray. Also made by the friendly neighborhood purple eagle, the Stingray is an all energy weapons 60 ton fighter designed for dogfighting and strafing. It has several variants, is easy to support, and can be used as an all around generalist like the Thunderbolt.  The Stingray moves 6/9 and has 11.5 tons of armor.  You get a PPC, two larg3 lasers and two mediums. It's not flashy, but it's solid like the Thunderbolt

Stingray's a solid design.  No disagreements there, other than there's not much parts synergy between the Thud and the Stingray.

With that said...where there is parts synergy with the Stingray is the Schrek PPC Carrier.  That uses the same engine, fits PPCs as its main gun, and would be a solid replacement for the Burke: it loses a bit of ranged damage compared to the Burke, but is faster and more durable.

For a 'Mech to use instead of the Thunderbolt, then, you've got the option of a medium trooper in the form of the Sentinel (3KA and 3KB sport a LL or PPC, respectively), or mass-producing the CLNT-2-3T Clint Denton (with its LL).  The LNC25-02 Lancelot downgrade uses the same basic weapons, too.

Vehicle-Assuming you want a core tank, I would go with the Bulldog. It's 60 tons, with an ICE, 2 SRM-4s and a Large Laser. The Bulldog moves 4/6, mounts 6.5 tons of armor, and is cheap at 606 BV. The Manticote may have more powerful weapons, amd the Goblin carries infantry, but the Bulldog keeps on coming. It has all sorts of weapons swaps from LB-5s to ER Large Lasers, and the Fuel Cell mod makes it tough enough for line or garrison duty.

The Manticore, OTOH, is based around a PPC and a 240-rating fusion engine, same as the Stingray, so it's got that going for it.  You're right though that there are a ton of variants for the Bulldog.  It just always weirds me out to see ICE-powered vehicles based around a large energy weapon for their main gun.

Like we previously discussed, I think the Goblin is the best choice for Niops... lots of variants, and can fit in a light cubicle.

I know the Goblin has at least one fusion version, fitted with an LPL as the main gun IIRC.

For both the Bulldog and the main production runs of the Goblin, given they're ICE vehicles (as are most of the standard APCs), I wonder how well that would work on the worlds in the Niops system.  We don't know about Niops V and VI, but the most advanced life forms on Niops VII are fish analogues, implying there wasn't much in the way of terrestrial lifeforms, which means you may also not have had the extensive plant biomass on land that would result in natural petroleum deposits.  With that said, if you've got enough methane, it doesn't matter, I suppose, and I suspect there are enough tidal forces on Niops V, VI and VII to keep them geogically-active, which might help as well.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #886 on: 28 December 2023, 06:47:51 »
OK, taking a stab at my own question, what about:

• Prowler for your vehicle, which carries Infantry, is amphibious and probably of use to Interstellar Expeditions, and even has a sealed version.  Its only drawback is it's 5 tons too big to use light vehicle cubicles.
  • SHD-3H2 Shadow Hawk from Shrapnel 14: uses the same 220 engine as the Prowler, hits harder than the - 2H, and seems perfect for a mixed bag garrison 'Mech.
  • SB-27 Sabre for your garrison ASF: fast, all-energy, can double as a bomb truck, and uses the same engine as the other two.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #887 on: 28 December 2023, 08:50:08 »
+1 for engine commonality... the last Goblin I made for you had a Fuel Cell Engine. :)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #888 on: 28 December 2023, 09:13:49 »
+1 for engine commonality... the last Goblin I made for you had a Fuel Cell Engine. :)

Customs open up a myriad of possibilities, but not all tables are keen on them. Such as my local Alpha Strike league.  Also, the Mods tend to want those on their own board sections.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2023, 09:16:39 by Giovanni Blasini »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #889 on: 28 December 2023, 09:25:57 »
That's why I only pasted the link... ;)

Off the top of my head, I don't think I can improve on your engine commonality, but I'll keep working on it.  I agree a 50-ton vehicle (or less) would be ideal.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #890 on: 28 December 2023, 16:51:57 »
That's why I only pasted the link... ;)

Off the top of my head, I don't think I can improve on your engine commonality, but I'll keep working on it.  I agree a 50-ton vehicle (or less) would be ideal.

Smaller, cheaper 'Mechs also make sense for a Niops whose Central Military School is focusing on armor and infantry, with an underfunded 'Mech program.

I thought briefly about returning to the Burke Defense Tank, with its 150-rating engine, and pairing it with either a Valkyrie, a WSP-100A Wasp LAM (what they based the Valkyrie on) or even a Panther, with its 140-rating engines being "detuned" 150 rating engines.  For an aerospace fighter, you'd have the Spad.  From there, the main IFV/tank would be something like a Goblin or Bulldog that runs on an ICE engine.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #891 on: 29 December 2023, 11:23:54 »
Okay, sticking with stock units, what about:

Turhan tank/IFV
Seydlitz ASF
BJ-1DB Blackjack

All use standard armor, a GM 180 engine, and you only need large lasers, medium lasers and machine guns for weapons.  If you prefer, you could do the Fire Javelin instead of the Blackjack.

I looked for a canon light ‘Mech that used a 180-rating engine edit with a large laser but couldn’t dig one up.
« Last Edit: 29 December 2023, 12:39:51 by Giovanni Blasini »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #892 on: 29 December 2023, 12:24:58 »
Javelins don't count?  What about Falcons?

And I'd stick with the Blackjack... heck, you might even consider keeping the AC/2 variant...

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #893 on: 29 December 2023, 12:49:16 »
Javelins don't count?  What about Falcons?

Went back and edited my original post: I’d meant canon 30-ton 6/9 ‘Mechs with a large laser.

With customs, it’d be easy: a slower Hussar with armor or a Falcon that drops the most of the secondary guns for a single large laser.

And I'd stick with the Blackjack... heck, you might even consider keeping the AC/2 variant...

Fair.  I was trying to minimize the number of weapons that needed to go into production.  Still, I considered the intro tech Wyvern instead of the Blackjack since it has hands, which could prove handy, and that has more guns.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #894 on: 29 December 2023, 13:00:37 »
Hands make sense... it's a shame the other weapons on a Wyvern aren't well synergized.

Here's an idea, if you're willing to go with two 'mech chassis: Blackjack (either or both variants) and the OG Hermes... I think it has both hands...

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #895 on: 29 December 2023, 13:30:56 »
Hands make sense... it's a shame the other weapons on a Wyvern aren't well synergized.

Here's an idea, if you're willing to go with two 'mech chassis: Blackjack (either or both variants) and the OG Hermes... I think it has both hands...

Hermes I uses a 270 engine and the Hermes II uses a 240.

With a 270, I'd probably rather go with the Phoenix Hawk as a trooper and hope to put the Highlander back in production some day.  For ASF, you could pair it with the Tomahawk pretty easily, just leaving you needing an IFV.

The 240 lacks an IFV, but gives you the Schrek as a Burke replacement, and a truly dizzying array of BattleMech options, ranging from the Sentinel (and the - 3K/3KA/3KB are nice) to the Awesome as options.  You also get the Stingray, or Hellcat or a various other fighters.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #896 on: 29 December 2023, 13:46:56 »
Oh right... I was thinking the Hermes was 20 tons for some reason... sorry about that!  I'm pretty sure there's a Flea variant that uses a 180, but it wouldn't have hands.

Vehicle-wise, any chance of getting a license for the Badger?  THAT would be a perfect fit for Niops, I think... :)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #897 on: 29 December 2023, 15:18:56 »
Oh right... I was thinking the Hermes was 20 tons for some reason... sorry about that!  I'm pretty sure there's a Flea variant that uses a 180, but it wouldn't have hands.

Vehicle-wise, any chance of getting a license for the Badger?  THAT would be a perfect fit for Niops, I think... :)

According to Objectives: Federated Suns, when the Wobbies finished with Outlook again in 3075, Blackwell Industries ended up not being able to pay their bills, and got bought out by GM in 3079.  GM, in turn, announced they weren't going to produce any of Blackwell's designs, so the Badger has been out of production for decades as of the ilClan era.

With that said, if they could get the license, it'd certainly give the surviving Dragoons an added boost to ticking off Alaric Wolf.

Y'now, speaking of nerdy 'Mechs powered by 180-rating engines...there's always going Full Nerd and putting the STG-A5 Stinger LAM or WSP-105M Wasp LAMs back into production.  Both are 6/9/6 in 'Mech mode, with 5 tons of armor, and either 3 MLs or an ML and LRM-5, with the added benefits from AirMech mode and ASF mode.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #898 on: 29 December 2023, 16:01:41 »
I love LAMs, so that sounds like a GREAT idea! :)

D-Rock

• Corporal
  • "I'm sure a profound statement belongs here..."
« Reply #899 on: 03 January 2024, 13:48:13 »
So Recognition Guide 33 has now shipped, and, not surprisingly, Niops was not mentioned again, even in passing, unlike our Neo-Roman neighbors or some of the other minor factions.

Given that scenario, and some of the last discussions we had, pretend you're in charge of military industrial procurement for the Niops Association in 3155, the dawn of the ilClan era, with the task of rebuilding one or more of the Project Workshops or something similar, sufficient to cover some degree of domestic military production.  In cases where domestic production is insufficient to meet a specific requirement, the Niops Association will continue to import military hardware as needed, but this is both expensive and

As such, you've been tasked with obtaining sufficient tooling to produce one conventional vehicle, one 'Mech and one aerospace fighter, with the goals of having each cover as many roles as possible, for as little money as possible.

Obviously, the Niops Association Militia would be thrilled to have production of the Highlander, Black Knight, Burke and Nighthawk PA(L) restored, but given the difficulties in doing so over the past 75 years, they understand that doing so is most likely outside the Association's current reach, and that the budget may not allow for such prestigious, expensive designs, assuming anyone was willing to sell the tooling you're currently missing anyway.  Because tooling may be an issue, and logistics is a beast, sharing as many parts as possible between units is highly desirable.

So, with that in mind, what units would you recommend?

I just had thoughts on that.

Son Hoa was, until it got trashed, a major production line of Highlander mechs. It's also a short distance from Niops. What if, and it's a huge hail mary, that Niops procurement agents went to Son Hoa and tried to acquire as much scrap from that thrashed production line as possible in order to help cobble together a new production line? And just imagine what other treasures they can scrape up from the Son Hoa factory.

Also, by 3135 Son Hoa's an independent world, no longer under the thumb of the Lyrans. That might make the planet more accessible to third parties.

I thought of writing a story about it. Have them make a shell company specializing in salvage as a front to funnel potential working parts back to Niops. It would make for an interesting espionage kind of adventure.
« Last Edit: 03 January 2024, 13:53:45 by D-Rock »