Author Topic: BFenix's Mechworks  (Read 4087 times)

BFenix

• Recruit
    • DA Page
BFenix's Mechworks
« on: 07 February 2018, 01:12:48 »
Hello everyone,

I'm not completely sure how things roll around here but I got my first mechs painted up some time ago and my hands are full with others about to come out of the line. Shared these before on the BTI FB group but I wanted the handy C&C from folks around here  :)  Anyway, instead of creating a thread for every new mech or mod, I'll be posting them here.

So, without further ado, my first trio of Davion Guards (ish) mechs:

« Last Edit: 08 February 2018, 11:30:13 by BFenix »
"Look at the bright side, kid - you get to keep all the money."

serrate

• Warrant Officer
Re: BFenix's Mechworks
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2018, 12:27:07 »
Nice work, very solid!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2018, 12:30:53 »
Looking good, and the "correct" DG scheme. Sorry, never a fan of the "battle flag of France" approach, a nice pinstripe wins.

Thanks for sharing! What else are you working on?

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2018, 13:54:11 »
Looking good, and the "correct" DG scheme. Sorry, never a fan of the "battle flag of France" approach, a nice pinstripe wins.

W.

I'm with you, but I thought that was the scheme for the Federated Commonwealth Guards, and not the Davion Guards.

At the OP - You're really Mech Commandering now. All you need is a Hollander, a Hunchback, a Catapult, a Firestarter, a Commando, an Awesome, oh, and let's not forget the salvaged Clan Mechs...
 #P ^-^
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2018, 17:06:37 »
 O0

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2018, 18:20:22 »
Loves me some original Davion Guard scheme, and you did a good job with it. :D

I can think of two bits of C&C for you, since you asked...

Try a thinned out wash after the detail work. I don't know if you did a wash after the blue or just drybrushed lighter blue over a darker base, but the white and red don't have the same highlights as the blue. It shows most on the white. The panel lines just don't stand out. Panel lines on the Atlas' skull especially would add greatly to its appearance.

Be a little more careful with the mold lines in prominent places. The tip of the Jagermech's right arm autocannon stands out to me. And while they're barely visible, mold lines on base edges are a pet peeve of mine.

thecybersmily

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2018, 19:52:45 »
good job. You do a nicer pinstripe.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2018, 20:46:09 »
Sweet!

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #8 on: 08 February 2018, 00:55:57 »
Good work there!  8)  Is that an original sculpt Atlas?
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #9 on: 08 February 2018, 01:05:02 »

W.

Seconded, on ALL counts  8)

BFenix

• Recruit
    • DA Page
« Reply #10 on: 08 February 2018, 11:45:31 »
Many thanks for the warm welcoming and feedback guys!

W.

Thanks, I find it more interesting too! Right now I'm doing some camo schemes on an Axman, Raven and Spider. Also basecoating an Annihilator, Bushwacker, Owens and Orion. So lots of work!  :)

Loves me some original Davion Guard scheme, and you did a good job with it. :D

I can think of two bits of C&C for you, since you asked...

Try a thinned out wash after the detail work. I don't know if you did a wash after the blue or just drybrushed lighter blue over a darker base, but the white and red don't have the same highlights as the blue. It shows most on the white. The panel lines just don't stand out. Panel lines on the Atlas' skull especially would add greatly to its appearance.

Be a little more careful with the mold lines in prominent places. The tip of the Jagermech's right arm autocannon stands out to me. And while they're barely visible, mold lines on base edges are a pet peeve of mine.

Appreciate the input! It's funny you mention it because I believe I exaggerated on the wash a bit. The process was basecoat, blue layer, metal details, stripes, wash and then a wee bit of highlighting and dry brushing. The Centurion and Atlas are a bit "chaotic" due to some slight retouches that might have made the final look a bit weird. Jagermech might seem a bit more orderly and complete in that regard. Back to the wash, I felt it made the Atlas' skull look too dirty and brown-ish so I went heavy with the highlights there. Gotta try thinning down a black one maybe  :D

Regarding the mold lines I was a bit afraid to screw up the Autocannon details and muzzle, although in the Annihilator I just built it came out fine, so, lessons for life ahah!

Thanks again  ;)

Thank you! Not entirely sure actually. Early Atlas sculpts are taller and thinner, right? I got this one from RPE if that helps.

Once I get more stuff done, I'll surely share it again.

Also, I'd love to get some opinions on basing guys. Currently I'm using the generic mud/rock/grassland style while painting the hex base black. However, I've seen alot of people completely covering the hex with terrain features or using the same terrain color for the rest of the hex. That can make sense since the black base might deviate some attention from the mech itself. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: 08 February 2018, 11:50:56 by BFenix »

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 08 February 2018, 12:41:03 »
Early Atlas sculpts are taller and thinner, right? I got this one from RPE if that helps.

Nope. The original, non-plastech Atlas was more proportional compared to the newer ones looking like a truly heavy assault Mech. It's the new ones which are tall and scrawny. If you get an Alpha Strike Lance pack Atlas, put it up to this one, and you'll see.

This looks like a Ral Partha sculpt.

The Plastech Atlas is nicknamed the 'Fat'las for a reason. You will not mix it up with any other version.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #12 on: 08 February 2018, 16:43:06 »
Early Atlas sculpts are taller and thinner, right?

Definitely NOT. The early Atlas sculpt was stockier and shorter than the later tall and thin version.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 08 February 2018, 16:54:49 »
Back to the wash, I felt it made the Atlas' skull look too dirty and brown-ish so I went heavy with the highlights there. Gotta try thinning down a black one maybe  :D

I'm a big user of ink washes, and I usually have one pot full strength, one pot half strength. You can always add another weak coat, but it's hard to take a dark coat off ;)

Also, for browns & greens, consider a can of teak-coloured stain varnish. It's effectively Army Painter medium shade, and does wonderful things to camo jobs.

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #14 on: 08 February 2018, 17:02:31 »
I'm a big user of ink washes, and I usually have one pot full strength, one pot half strength. You can always add another weak coat, but it's hard to take a dark coat off ;)

Also, for browns & greens, consider a can of teak-coloured stain varnish. It's effectively Army Painter medium shade, and does wonderful things to camo jobs.

W.

Yeah, I finish almost ALL my minis with the colored Varnish. Has 2 effects: 1) It settles inn the recesses to Highlight, and 2) It seals the mini in a hard clear coat (Just hit it with a dull clearcoat after to take the shine off)

You can buy AMRY PAINTER dips, or for a fraction of the cost, just go to your local Hardware Store (Home Depot, RONA, LOWES etc) and buy MINWAX Stain:

Same product, and with minwax, you have lots of color choices
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #15 on: 08 February 2018, 17:39:25 »
It is the first (metal) sculpt.

Metal Atlas line-up from left...

1st Sculpt (by Tom Meier for Ral Partha), 2nd Sculpt (by Phil Lewis for Ral Partha), 3rd Sculpt (by Drew Williams for IWM), Beginner Set/Assault Lance Pack Sculpt (by Brian Benzing and Drew Williams for IWM)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 08 February 2018, 20:07:18 »
You can buy AMRY PAINTER dips, or for a fraction of the cost, just go to your local Hardware Store (Home Depot, RONA, LOWES etc) and buy MINWAX Stain:

If only they did a green or blue wood stain ...

Carlson793

• Private
« Reply #17 on: 08 February 2018, 20:59:20 »
If only they did a green or blue wood stain ...
Yeah... if only... ;)

« Last Edit: 08 February 2018, 21:01:16 by Carlson793 »

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #18 on: 08 February 2018, 22:14:54 »
Yeah... if only... ;)

Gotta be careful, some of those are just stains, no laquer included.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #19 on: 08 February 2018, 23:34:10 »
Also, I'd love to get some opinions on basing guys. Currently I'm using the generic mud/rock/grassland style while painting the hex base black. However, I've seen alot of people completely covering the hex with terrain features or using the same terrain color for the rest of the hex. That can make sense since the black base might deviate some attention from the mech itself. Thoughts?

I fully paint all my bases with whatever color I've chosen, but I don't cover the whole base with terrain.  Just the top. The attached Sagittaire shows it.  The combination looks a little sharper to me, but that's just my opinion.  :)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 08 February 2018, 23:44:28 »

W.

Honestly, I've only used washes to spot-check areas where the primary coat got into the line. I don't do a full bath anymore, except near the beginning to find the lines. Instead, I use something that's only midway darker to the value I'm going for, and run the lines with the brush.

From what I've, seen the OP could use that on some of the areas, like the stripes.

It really depends on what effect he wants. This is the Davion Guards, so maybe they should be rather clean.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 08 February 2018, 23:52:09 »
Yeah... if only... ;)

Slight problem for me - when I go to MinWax's "Where to Buy", Australian region, I get this:

COMING SOON!

Fortunately, there's this thing I've been told about, the inter-nets, which may help me ... :D

BFenix

• Recruit
    • DA Page
« Reply #22 on: 09 February 2018, 00:35:30 »
It is the first (metal) sculpt.

Metal Atlas line-up from left...

1st Sculpt (by Tom Meier for Ral Partha), 2nd Sculpt (by Phil Lewis for Ral Partha), 3rd Sculpt (by Drew Williams for IWM), Beginner Set/Assault Lance Pack Sculpt (by Brian Benzing and Drew Williams for IWM)

Yup, right on. Thanks for clearing that up!

W.

Any good pics of minis where that was used? It basically acts as a quick or dipshade wash right?

I fully paint all my bases with whatever color I've chosen, but I don't cover the whole base with terrain.  Just the top. The attached Sagittaire shows it.  The combination looks a little sharper to me, but that's just my opinion.  :)

And I share it with you, contrasts way better. Gotta try it on my next mechs, thanks!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: 09 February 2018, 01:45:30 »
Any good pics of minis where that was used? It basically acts as a quick or dipshade wash right?

Here ya Go:

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,40567.0.html

and individual mech's

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 09 February 2018, 02:39:33 »

Look at the Gallowglas' arm. See the darker lines? Teak stain pulled into the crevices. See the lighter, highlighted looking lines? Surface tension pulling the stain away from edges. These were basically tan, with stain on top. Brush it on, have a wide brush handy to brush excess off.

Tan base, olive drab blobs, black & white lines, then stain.

For a counterpoint, this was blood scarlet base, with a black ink wash.

BFenix

• Recruit
    • DA Page
« Reply #25 on: 13 February 2019, 11:22:43 »
Hello again folks, long time no post!

Here are two more paintjobs I did some months ago. Got plans for a DC unit, thus the red Owens. Figuring out a cool camo for a possible merc unit too, this Axman was the test subject. Went for a US Tiger Stripes-inspired pattern and I think it came out alright, even if a bit too dark and tiresome to replicate. They're both missing some markings, although I'm still working on a insignia and background for the mercs.

Feedback is welcome!

Got a bunch of mechs being built and even more primed and waiting to be painted up, unfortunately still nothing from the new sets though. Dunno if CGL forgot that Battletech, although small, still exists outside of North America. Quite a few people around here know about the game and would like to try it out - which can be difficult since the old Intro Boxes are hard to get and ludicrously expensive now... Oh well, hoping the wait doesn't drag on too much.  ;D

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #26 on: 13 February 2019, 20:12:03 »
Nice! 8) :thumbsup:  And that Axman just looks mean... >:D

And welcome back!

Register