Author Topic: Map: Headland Battery (multiple sizes)  (Read 1157 times)

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
Map: Headland Battery (multiple sizes)
« on: 21 May 2022, 07:40:49 »
Sorry it's been three months since the last map. This one was partly the result of a request from someone on this forum a while back - sorry it's taken so long for me to get it done. But there are four different versions, depending on how big an area you want to fight over - from 64x68 (4x4 mapsheets), through 96x68 (6x4), 96x102 (6x6) all the way up to 128x102 (8x6). The 6x4 adds some more sea and some more land to the west, the 6x6 adds more land north and south, and the 8x6 adds yet more open water to the east, for those who want somewhere to park their boats (or enough space for WiGEs and hovers to dash over ... or for ASF to turn around).

Anyway, this map may be of interest to folk who like an amphibious assault*. Or a challenging target, with a bit of coastline down one side. Even the 4x4 sheet version contains two artillery emplacements and a small AeroBase, as well as farms and a small hamlet. The coastline is quite challenging, as it's mostly cliffs, although there are a number of points where jump-capable 'mechs can surmount them, as well as a couple where the 'mechs wouldn't even need jump jets ... and one route where you could bring up tanks or other ground vehicles. On the 6x6 and 8x6 maps there's an additional coastal village, and two more locations where ground vehicles can easily reach the top of the cliffs.

The artillery emplacements don't need to mount surface-to-surface weapons, of course - perhaps they're surface-to-air emplacements that have just finished construction, and a strike team need to damage them before they can be armed. (Yes, you can have fun with demo-charge infantry on these.)

64x68 Headland Battery.board
(click to enlarge)

96x68 Headland Battery.board
(click to enlarge)

96x102 Headland Battery.board
(click to enlarge)

128x102 Headland Battery.board
(click to enlarge)

Feel free to let me know what you think, and how you'd use this.

(The working title for this one was 'Hockey Point'.  ;) )

* True amphibious assault is waiting for the rectification of the 'vehicle/mech bays on superheavy vehicles' bug, so that I can properly unleash my landing craft designs, but until then ...
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

rogueranger1993

• Corporal
  • Of noble birth and mercenary mind...
Re: Map: Headland Battery (multiple sizes)
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2022, 13:36:00 »
Very nice! The multiple sizes is a nice addition, and the whole thing makes for a very god map. Thanks for putting in the hard work to create and share it with us!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: 21 May 2022, 13:38:36 by rogueranger1993 »

1. Incoming fire has the right of way.
2. The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
3. Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.
                                   - excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2022, 14:52:23 »
AWESOME!  :thumbsup:

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2022, 01:17:34 »
My god, what a masterpiece. You've done it again.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2022, 10:55:30 »
Thanks!  I love these!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2022, 16:02:12 »
You could play from company to battalion on those maps lol

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2022, 16:09:17 »
I daresay a Regiment on that biggest one!  8)

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2022, 16:40:05 »
Unless you let princess handle all sides...  :screw_loose: :runaway:

I tried that once and I don't think I will try it again. It was fun, but even with princess handling the opfor it was a real slog. Though that was a long while ago so maybe now it might go smoother.