Author Topic: Do you think we will ever see the homeworld clans again?  (Read 17659 times)

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
Re: Do you think we will ever see the homeworld clans again?
« Reply #60 on: 16 August 2019, 14:14:44 »
Since I read into the HWC, I felt the Coyotes were completely underrepresented for their potential. In fact, that's true for many HWC, most notably including Blood Spirits, Goliath Scorpions, and  Steel Vipers. But Coyote have always felt to me as underwritten for what they were supposed to be able to do.
liber et infractus

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
« Reply #61 on: 17 August 2019, 14:25:38 »
Since I read into the HWC, I felt the Coyotes were completely underrepresented for their potential. In fact, that's true for many HWC, most notably including Blood Spirits, Goliath Scorpions, and  Steel Vipers. But Coyote have always felt to me as underwritten for what they were supposed to be able to do.
I agree 100%.  But I feel like all of the HWC could have used a more fleshing out.  However, there are limits to what the writers can do. 

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: 17 August 2019, 16:24:23 »
Some novels covering the conflicts in the homeworlds would have changed that.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #63 on: 18 August 2019, 15:49:58 »

Coyotes were almost the Red Headed Second Cousin of the Wolves. The WoR gave a great opportunity for a time gap to give the two some space and allow them to create a new 'face' for themselves. What I want to see though is the Adders forced to split up into two or three clans due to the other Clan's in the Homewords getting angry at the sheer fact that they are so overpowering in comparison. After the WoR the Star Adders could probably have absorbed the remaining Clans after the Blood Spirits easily enough.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #64 on: 18 August 2019, 18:12:10 »
I agree 100%.  But I feel like all of the HWC could have used a more fleshing out.  However, there are limits to what the writers can do.
It was hinted at by CGL in their second AMA that the HWC might have a comeback of some sorts.
liber et infractus

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #65 on: 18 August 2019, 20:57:57 »
That's not what i got out of that.

I got more of an either (A) they have something further planned and can't discuss it without spoiling things or (B) the focus is off of them and they aren't discussing it.

the only real certain thing I got from it was, they aren't discussing them.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 18 August 2019, 21:21:00 »
I prefer thinking about Sunday night option c:
The region is infested with interdimensional space squid, and they're working out how to adapt the rules for harpoon SRMs to capital scale missiles.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 19 August 2019, 07:36:05 »
I prefer thinking about Sunday night option c:
The region is infested with interdimensional space squid, and they're working out how to adapt the rules for harpoon SRMs to capital scale missiles.

That's the easy part. The hard part is coming up with a good recipe for them.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #68 on: 19 August 2019, 14:43:53 »
Either way, Stone Lions or Hell Horses, both get my vote!

I'd prefer some scenarios that can be used by any HWC / ISC as a basis for Trials. Say some bunker of an opposing unit ( clan or WoB ) that has survived that's needed to be squashed before they become a problem too big again.

Smoked Kitties
Wolverines!
Green Ghost?!
rival clan with a knack of revenge? Society...  >:D

You get the idea... boogie people that are bad that needs to be taken out. Just a Scenario or Two that'll evolve player's unit and X. ( Where X is the enemy. )

Just that... But officially released, not a random fan-based one.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 19 August 2019, 16:20:24 »
So yep in the reaving you will have lost some "Science Projects" because well it was 1 group doing the research whose compound has been completely taken out.  Now if they had backup offsite maybe you could regain the info, but not the tech if it was not in widespread use.

I would like to see the WHC allow their new "breed" sciencist to have the freedom to explore tech ideas, think like under the Nazi in Germany sciencist could research in many different paths that before were "too radical or out there"

I do hope they do make a showing, 1 of the Clans I keep wanting to connect to GS are still part of them.  The other being the GB/RD
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #70 on: 22 August 2019, 06:35:14 »
You know. Every time I pass this thread I keep thinking of the Angels (  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Angels_(Australian_band )

"Am I ever gonna see the Clans again???"  O:-)

Lboydmsw

• Sergeant
« Reply #71 on: 22 August 2019, 06:52:51 »
I remember that at one point there were pictures released (leaked?) of brainstormed and tentative plans for the future of the time line and at one point it mentioned a second clan invasion (star adder invasion or something like that). I think the actual canon timeline has already diverged from that which is fine. I'm really enjoying what is going on right now 3145+

I think it would be interesting to see the HWCs again though.  I know they stated in their AMA that they aren't talking about it right now.  I hope that doesn't rule out some subtle hints here and there in new material. Maybe get to see a hint of something before too long though.  Even some info from the Escorpión Imperio would be full of yummy details and hints about what the HWC have been up to (at least to some degree).

I think a wholesale 100% HWC touman assault would be amazing.  The aggressor causes slowly spreads across the majority of clan warriors and they just up and lunch everything they have at the IS after finding out (through spies or info gained from the Escorpión Imperio in someway during attacks against them) that there is an "ilclan". I think it would be more interesting if when they came swinging in their advantages from the first invasion were non-existent.  In other words, they weren't coming in with super advanced technology that is grossly superior to what exists in the IS.  Different, yes but not nearly so overshadowing to what the IS has to offer (including IS clan tech).
« Last Edit: 22 August 2019, 06:56:29 by Lboydmsw »

NutritiousSlop

• Private
« Reply #72 on: 20 September 2019, 08:38:12 »
We've had the Genecaste teased since Interstellar Players 1.  I could see an expansion in the Home Clans, coupled with some form of Genecaste-type manipulations in the warrior DNA because it's cheaper resource-wise to breed a soldier with integrated chitinous armor than it is to mine minerals and manufacture armor.  Perhaps we'd see bio-mechanical infantry and battle armor, building off rules we've already had for VDNIs.  I know aliens have been teased and hinted at before, but we've got pieces and parts lying out there now. 

The Home Clans will definitely be back in some way, shape, or form.  The upcoming ilClan sourcebook might just be them abandoning the Kerensky Cluster and the Homeworlds and going for broke with one last stab at taking Terra while the only things left on Strana Mechty are wrecked OmniMechs and statues of legs saying "look upon my works, ye mighty, and tremble." 

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #73 on: 21 September 2019, 10:32:03 »
I still favour the idea of Home Clans who are like huge space-borne nomads with hightech.

Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Taber_Evans

• Corporal
« Reply #74 on: 17 October 2019, 01:01:41 »
I know there hasn't been any official word on the matter but common fan theories, personal speculations?

1- Its a write off\distraction that they simply dont want to take the time for.
2- Its a potential future plot locked up under NADA.
3- Simply forget\ignore them as immaterial data and hope the fans do likewise.  If necessary retcon the issue.  Not unlike others over 30 years. 

If they ever do show back up I can sit back with a 24X and some 7mm pills again.  Amongst other fun stuff.   Almost as much fun as killing C*\wobbies  ;).

Phocion

• Corporal
« Reply #75 on: 17 October 2019, 06:18:18 »
Still, at the end of Fortress Republic, an unknown faction appeared over Terra to a collective "What the?!!!", so that could be anything from a Home Clan Coalition fleet to a Giant Space Hamster.

+1 to giant space hamster

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #76 on: 17 October 2019, 07:02:30 »
+1 to giant space hamster

Only if it’s a miniature one and named “Boo”.

:D

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 17 October 2019, 12:30:59 »
What about a reverse invasion by the Spirit Cats or some other IS clan invading the Homeworlds?

Taking back what was lost?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

NutritiousSlop

• Private
« Reply #78 on: 24 October 2019, 10:10:06 »
What about a reverse invasion by the Spirit Cats or some other IS clan invading the Homeworlds?

Taking back what was lost?

TT

From what I'm gathering, the IS clans in the Dark Ages aren't that well-resourced.  It'd be difficult for them to mount that large of an invasion.  But I could definitely see the Spirit Cats or even the Sea Foxes making their way back there for their own reasons. 

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #79 on: 18 December 2019, 14:38:38 »
From what I'm gathering, the IS clans in the Dark Ages aren't that well-resourced.  It'd be difficult for them to mount that large of an invasion.  But I could definitely see the Spirit Cats or even the Sea Foxes making their way back there for their own reasons.

Post DA do the sea foxes have any eyes and ears in the homeworlds?

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #80 on: 18 December 2019, 14:47:48 »
Their last intelligence assets died off in the 3090's in the Imperio.  At least according to ISP 3. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #81 on: 01 January 2020, 22:44:10 »
Question for the masses...

Do you think the DRUM program is still working?

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/QR_243_(Satellite)

While they are officially offline... per CGL, nothing is currently " a solid " as they say.

Also, how many Conestoga Payload Satellites are out there? After all, it's a Star League-era Cassion...

TT
« Last Edit: 01 January 2020, 22:47:04 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #82 on: 02 January 2020, 00:27:12 »
There's two networks out there: the Clan homeworlds link using QR 243, and ComStar's DRUM system (no specific designs noted).  The forces sent out after the Burrocks decimated the Clan system.  There isn't much mention of the status of the DRUM system.  Portions around Columbus were destroyed by WoB forces, and others have no doubt stopped functioning without maintenance, so even with its distributed nature it's going to be heavily fragmented.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Register