Author Topic: Wolf's Dragoons Lance  (Read 6836 times)

HullenLow

• Recruit
Wolf's Dragoons Lance
« on: 29 October 2015, 22:51:27 »
Years ago I painted my first Battletech miniatures up like one of my favorite mercenary units, the Kell Hounds, I passed on the Wolf's Dragoons, not because I didn't like their story or think they weren't cool, but they seemed to be almost too popular. Now that I am working on building up two solid forces to represent one Federated Sun and one Draconis Combine force, I wanted to bring in some mercenaries, specifically House Davion sided mercs. I planned on Kell Hounds of course, but realized they looked far to similar to the 5th Sword of Light mechs I was painting, so I decided to go with the Wolf's Dragoons and their most common paint scheme, black and red. After painting up my first lance, I can't believe I let their popularity turn me off of them years ago, I really like how they turned out!

My first Wolf's Dragoon lance consists of a Stalker, Awesome, Shogun and Catapult. The Stalker is one of my favorite mechs but the plastic model is posed awfully, as though it is falling over backwards, so I took a hobby knife to it and re-positioned it the be standing upright. The Shogun and Awesome a straight out of the box, but I added some missile pod doors and bulked up the catapults legs.

Here are a few comparison shots between the new IWM's Stalker II and the re-positioned plastic Stalker from the Alpha Strike Lance pack.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Wolf's Dragoons Lance
« Reply #1 on: 29 October 2015, 22:55:09 »
Excellent work all around!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2015, 23:00:31 »
Nice Zeta lance! I'm going to be doing up a few of them soonish myself...sort of have to, what with the plastic Shogun and all.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Elbows

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2015, 09:44:49 »
Awesome, and I like the way you modified the Stalker to be a little taller/less goofy.  Wish I had done that on mine.  Also, nice choice with the Shogun.  I was a bit annoyed that they even released the Shogun plastic as I play 3025-3050 and it states that around 3050 pretty much no one outside of the Wolf's Dragoons uses Shoguns.  So it fits perfectly here.

Nice paint and I love the bases, thin and unobtrusive, yet still hexes if you're using that.  Well done.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2015, 19:41:14 »
 O0

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2015, 20:05:52 »
The lance is looking good. I also want to compliment you on the Stalker mod, the dynamic pose really changes its attitude.

HeavyGun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Dante's Infernals
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2015, 21:16:14 »
Nice Job on your Dragoons  O0  O0 Love me some Dragoons
CDT Agent #695, Spokane Valley, Wa.

Get in, Sit down, Shut up and Hold on...oh yeah you better pray cuz your gonna need it!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2015, 14:38:28 »
  I was a bit annoyed that they even released the Shogun plastic as I play 3025-3050 and it states that around 3050 pretty much no one outside of the Wolf's Dragoons uses Shoguns.

Good news for Shogun fans: The NTNU section of TRO 3150 states that the Dragoons contracted the Foxes to resurrect the design. They make both the Clan tech C 2 variant for the Dragoons, and the IS tech SHG-3E for general sale.

Now if we could only get record sheets already...
I have spoken.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2015, 13:01:44 »
 O0

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 02 November 2015, 17:47:24 »
These look very nice. I like the subtle use of grey, and have a soft-spot for the Shogun. Thanks for sharing.

Register